• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If I'm on the yearly upgrade I wonder if I have to wait for a phone or do we get priority.

giga

It's the same shell. With bump in processor and pen and accessory slot.

Unless they release a air 3 next year. For all intend and purpose it's the air 3.
I don't know if they'll release a new air, but I don't think they used the storage bump to justify the higher price. They've done minimum storage bumps on their other products before without price increases, including the iPhone.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So I take it there won't be any additional pro version this year? I'll be getting a 7 Plus most likely, selling my 6S Plus will cover most, if not all of the cost.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Priority will always go to first come first serve for these kinda things.
I guess a better question is how do people on the upgrade plan actually upgrade.

I assume they will mention it next week. This is the first time people on that plan have the ability to upgrade.

itxaka

Defeatist
Wait. How do you get optical zoom just by having another camera? Isn't an optical zoom a mechanical one? Can someone explain this?

Jeffrey

I don't know if they'll release a new air, but I don't think they used the storage bump to justify the higher price. They've done minimum storage bumps on their other products before without price increases, including the iPhone.

Hope so! It's getting harder and harder to justify paying so much for a smartphone these days when you can get quite good ones for $400 or less.

Mortemis

Banned
Hope so! It's getting harder and harder to justify paying so much for a smartphone these days when you can get quite good ones for $400 or less.

Exactly. I'm getting a $7 credit every month towards paying off my $850 6s+ and that feels like too much, anything more and I can't justify that cost. A nexus/pixel phone would be much more up my alley (though it's usually not supported by jump on demand 😞).

A9 still beasting. Amazing single core performance + ability to sustain that performance + blazing storage speed compared to competitors makes the 6s a champ.

A10 with 3gb of ram pushing 1080p will guarantee brilliant performance that will likely leave Android competition (samsung) in the dust, this year and the next.

Truly starting to get to the point of, "Why isn't this capable of being my main computer?"

Seriously though. iPhone + Thunderbolt Display with a GPU built in.

Going to be interesting to see how this benchmarks against Intel CPUs.

Yes, but I still have the opportunity to sync playlists and play them offline. I have synced 2-300 songs at all times, works great.

I sync a ton of music to my phone. Wouldn't have it any other way. Too many times I have shitty connections when commuting. 256gb or bust for me.

Red

Anyone had experience with Jump on Demand or the Apple upgrade plan: thoughts on which is better? I'm thinking Tmobile will probably have some additional incentive over Apple's plan, I remember a discount on the 6s plans.

I think we traded in two phones so I'm only paying $5 for my wife's iPhone on Jump on Demand. Wonder if they'll have something similar this time.

AkumaNiko

anyone see this yet?

iPhone-7-AirPods-Leak.jpg

KevinG

As much as I want the AirPods included with my 7 Plus (128GB), I'm not going to believe this. Easily to photoshop or simply fake.

Future

Leaking the lack of headphone Jack was actually good for them. I'm already over it. Need to buy some docks anyway for work and my desk, so will get ones with line outs. My running headphones are already Bluetooth and I have wireless speakers. I use my better headphones at desks so I should be good

Will keep an eye on how that Apple upgrade plan goes for people switching to 7's this year. If it's smooth, then I will get on that because if rumors are true I will definitely want the 10th anniversary phone next year.

My six plus is alright but I'm itching for an update and tired of this 1 gig of ram.

Vyer

I wouldn't be surprised if there were no included wireless headphones, but I am still really hoping there are.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd almost be ok with no headphone socket if they improved on Bluetooth for audio quality and connection robustness. A2DP isn't great quality and in any busy location you often get interruptions to the signal (I guess from too many BT signals clashing?)

Anyone had experience with Jump on Demand or the Apple upgrade plan: thoughts on which is better? I'm thinking Tmobile will probably have some additional incentive over Apple's plan, I remember a discount on the 6s plans.

I think we traded in two phones so I'm only paying $5 for my wife's iPhone on Jump on Demand. Wonder if they'll have something similar this time.

I'm on JOD and it's fantastic. Trading in is extremely easy, and getting three Jumps per year allows some freedom. They typically run promos that make the monthly prices even lower, and they don't require insurance, although it's heavily pushed. My last trade in took two minutes flat. If I had an Apple store closer to me, I might consider the Apple plan, as I think I'm mostly done with playing with Android at this point.

Enkidu

I'd almost be ok with no headphone socket if they improved on Bluetooth for audio quality and connection robustness. A2DP isn't great quality and in any busy location you often get interruptions to the signal (I guess from too many BT signals clashing?)
Interference from other Bluetooth devices is incredibly unlikely, it is more likely that if anything is disturbing the signal it's a bunch of WiFi hotspots. Even that seems somewhat unlikely though, instead the most likely reason is that the signal quality is simply degraded from you being in a bad position. Hands in pockets covering the phone, phone in back pocket while sitting on a chair, lots of people close nearby absorbing the signal, etc. By far the worst is being outside in an open field though, hardly any headset can manage that condition very well. Bluetooth in general is actually a very bad technology for wireless headsets.

Mortemis

Banned
Interference from other Bluetooth devices is incredibly unlikely, it is more likely that if anything is disturbing the signal it's a bunch of WiFi hotspots. Even that seems somewhat unlikely though, instead the most likely reason is that the signal quality is simply degraded from you being in a bad position. Hands in pockets covering the phone, phone in back pocket while sitting on a chair, lots of people close nearby absorbing the signal, etc. By far the worst is being outside in an open field though, hardly any headset can manage that condition very well. Bluetooth in general is actually a very bad technology for wireless headsets.

Seriously. I have a pair of BT headphones that I love, but it could certainly be better.

When's that new wifi that replaces BT coming.

So I plan to jump on that Apple store yearly upgrade program. Can I do that online and somehow pre-order? Or do I have to go into the store and do it?

Preorder online, and it'll have an option for the iPhone Upgrade Program. Currently it has to be done in store, but they may make it doable online for this launch, who knows. So you'll pick your model and pick your time/store to pop in and get it

jts

...hate me...
Hmmmm... even not buying the iPhone 7, may have to shell out for the AirPods. Especially if they tackle well common issues with bluetooth headsets. Must be easy to keep juiced up, easy to pair with different devices, and affordable enough. Sound-wise unfortunately am not expecting much, just on pair with the EarPods at least. Surprise me there, Apple.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm on JOD and it's fantastic. Trading in is extremely easy, and getting three Jumps per year allows some freedom. They typically run promos that make the monthly prices even lower, and they don't require insurance, although it's heavily pushed. My last trade in took two minutes flat. If I had an Apple store closer to me, I might consider the Apple plan, as I think I'm mostly done with playing with Android at this point.

I'm deciding between JOD and Apple's upgrade program. As I understand it, Apple includes Apple Care while T-Mobile does not? If so, I'll probably order from Apple.

Blackhead

Redarse
You mean high as in price? I'm sure it'll be the same price iPhones always are.

Well due to the fluctuating exchange rates they are almost certainly going to change the international prices. They might also be tempted to raise the USA prices as well. They 'raised' the price for iPads and reversed the decline a bit last quarter with increased revenue despite lower sales. The iPhone APR took a hit due to the popularity of the lower priced iPhone SE. If Apple assumes they aren't going to sell as many iPhone 7/+ this quarter, as Tim Cook pretty much announced at the last earnings call, the 'smart' move is to raise the price and squeeze those who are going to buy the phone anyway.

I'm deciding between JOD and Apple's upgrade program. As I understand it, Apple includes Apple Care while T-Mobile does not? If so, I'll probably order from Apple.

Apple's includes AC+, yes, but the price also reflects that, it adds $5.38 to the monthly cost

I started using my 6s Plus caseless. If I'm getting that Piano Black I can't be using it with a case

Futureman

Just got an S7 a few months ago but as always, very excited to see what Apple has to offer.

going from a 4" iPhone 5C to the S7 was a pretty big jump in screen size. After using it for a few months, I'm shocked that my GF's 6S+ doesn't seem that big to me.

I'm really looking forward to the 2017 iPhone 10+ or whatever they call it. If it's bezel-less and 5.5" they could fit that on a 6S size phone.

icespide

Banned
I wonder how smooth the iPhone upgrade program trade in will go. this will probably be the first time any one actually trades in right?

StillEdge

Will keep an eye on how that Apple upgrade plan goes for people switching to 7's this year. If it's smooth, then I will get on that because if rumors are true I will definitely want the 10th anniversary phone next year.

I wish I didn't jump on it. I am so afraid the first year is going to be so fucked. Especially since I literally have no idea how it's going to work. Hopefully they show a video or something. Simulate ordering one.

I wonder how smooth the iPhone upgrade program trade in will go. this will probably be the first time any one actually trades in right?

It was a little rocky the first time around since I don't think the bank's servers were ready for the traffic, so hopefully this one goes better. There's pretty clear instructions on what phones qualify to be traded-in quality-wise

Theoretically people could have traded in as soon as March, if they wanted to move between different sizes in the 6s line and pay up to the 12 month mark

icespide

Banned
It was a little rocky the first time around since I don't think the bank's servers were ready for the traffic, so hopefully this one goes better. There's pretty clear instructions on what phones qualify to be traded-in quality-wise

Theoretically people could have traded in as soon as March, if they wanted to move between different sizes in the 6s line and pay up to the 12 month mark
well I'll be doing it at the apple company store where on iPhone day only employees get to buy so hopefully it goes smoothly there!

I'm so bored of iOS, but app quality is still tops and Android+it's apps will forever be a janky mess, which means I'm staying onboard for a while. Was thinking of hopping to the new Note but that looks like a real shitshow

This mentality is ridiculous and needs to end.

A Galaxy phone is not a representation of Android. A Galaxy phone is Android with Samsung's TouchWiz on top of it.

Google's phones that run vanilla Android are clean, fast and have no jank or dropped frames like you hear about with Samsung's.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon

A Galaxy phone is not a representation of Android. A Galaxy phone is Android with Samsung's TouchWiz on top of it.

Google's phones that run vanilla Android are clean, fast and have no jank or dropped frames like you hear about with Samsung's.

Uh, yeah they do actually. A lot less but still noticeable.

I have a Nexus 6p with Nougat.

A9 still beasting. Amazing single core performance + ability to sustain that performance + blazing storage speed compared to competitors makes the 6s a champ.

A10 with 3gb of ram pushing 1080p will guarantee brilliant performance that will likely leave Android competition (samsung) in the dust, this year and the next.
It sure is a powerhouse.

The thing is, I think we're reaching a point where it doesn't really matter much any more for a phone.

Outside of 3D gaming, is it really bringing us tangible benefit? I haven't gone 'jeez this is slow, I wish this had better performance!' for a phone in years.

Samsung needs to ditch MALI and start using PowerVR instead. Like they did with the S4. Then they'll be able to compete in graphics against Apple

It's not debatable that iOS app equivalents are often better than their Android counterparts, and this is coming from someone who recently used both back to back to for over a week. Major apps with millions and millions of downloads have worse assets, animations, and slower startup times and transitions. It's to the point where I even wondered how it's allowed to be so much worse. This is a big deal as to why I prefer iOS. Not to mention it usually gets apps first or even exclusively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom