• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Thas not the point. Apple knows how popular the 64gb model is, for many people it's the perfect sweetspot(for an iPhone). 32gb is too low in this day and age and many don't need 128gb meaning people now have to spend more on an already expensive phone.
lol

The average Joe doesn't need anywhere near 64GB. That is definitely upgrade material, only now you get 128GB instead.

Of course the day Apple increases the baseline from 16GB to 32GB there would always be someone saying it's a scummy move because it should be 64GB instead. Tbf, same would happen if they increased it to 64GB.

ZeroX03

Banned
Thas not the point. Apple knows how popular the 64gb model is, for many people it's the perfect sweetspot(for an iPhone). 32gb is too low in this day and age and many don't need 128gb meaning people now have to spend more on an already expensive phone.

Last time Apple increased the storage options they kept the same pricing tiers. There was no price increase. It's an upgrade. The old 64GB pricing will now be 128GB.

And 32GB is more than enough when half the consumers out there are only storing photos and apps.

Dio

Banned
Personally, I like the idea of the new iPhone having a 256gb storage option. I have quite a lot of lossless/24bit audio.

When I bought the soundtrack for Ys VIII, the 24bit/96khz release was 2 discs, but it was 4 gigabytes for that single 2 disc album. It adds up quick in that sense, even if regular lossless albums are between 500mb-1gb normally.

From what some of the rumors are saying, it sounds like the A10 chip will put all other mobile processors to shame. Can't wait to see the benchmarks!

hypotc

32GB is too low? After going over to Spotify and only streaming music I have no problem using a 16GB iPhone.

It's Apple.

It'll never happen.

Maybe not likely to happen but with TB3 using the USB-C port, there is a chance in case Apple ever wanted to unify all their interfaces (and maybe OS's) but I'm not holding my breath for that. If they don't do it on the 10th anniversary then it will be less likely to happen.

Blastoise

Banned
The new lightning ear pods will have some medical purpose. Like heart rate and body temperature. I think this is how they will sell the removal of the 3.5mm jack.

jts

...hate me...
Maybe not likely to happen but with TB3 using the USB-C port, there is a chance in case Apple ever wanted to unify all their interfaces (and maybe OS's) but I'm not holding my breath for that. If they don't do it on the 10th anniversary then it will be less likely to happen.
I think it would be too much to say to people their Lightning headphones won't work anymore on the new iPhone, just 1 year or less after they bought them.

Not to mention they have been doubling down on Lightning as of lately, see new Mac keyboard and mouse, Apple Pencil, and even Apple Watch chargers.

The unifying port dream is a good one to have, but I think it will have to wait a while longer.

Blastoise

Banned
cant wait till they reveal this so i can finally get a reasonably priced 6s plus

Truth. My old man needs to replace his 5s. I'm just waiting for a price drop.

I got him an Android and he couldn't wrap his head around it. My parents are gonna be stuck on Apple for the rest of their lives. Haha.

Henrar

Personally, I like the idea of the new iPhone having a 256gb storage option. I have quite a lot of lossless/24bit audio.

When I bought the soundtrack for Ys VIII, the 24bit/96khz release was 2 discs, but it was 4 gigabytes for that single 2 disc album. It adds up quick in that sense, even if regular lossless albums are between 500mb-1gb normally.
What's the point in having 24-bit audio on iPhone if the DAC in the phone can't play it in that quality?

What's the point in having 24-bit audio on iPhone if the DAC in the phone can't play it in that quality?

Well, now that Lightning headphones will become a thing then the DAC built into those most likely could. There would be more room to fit better hardware than could ever fit into the phone. Earbuds though you'd probably have to get an external amp.

I think we might see some sort quick pairing with bluetooth devices. Fucking around in the settings to connect a pair of bluetooth head phones isn't easy/simple enough. I suspect they will have something similar to Apple Pay, wherein you do a quick gesture (double clicking the side button on Apple Watch etc) and then tap. Maybe if you force touch the settings app, there will be a shortcut to pair a bluetooth device.

I'm upgrading because my 6S battery seems to be draining faster as time goes by.

I'd be cool with a 32gb dark black plus.
I was having the same problems with my 6s plus. It kept getting worse and worse, to the point I only got haf a day of battery life (I'm a very heavy user). I did a recovery with iTunes and my 6s plus is back to new.

Not an issue for all of us. 17€ (~$19) unlimited data, SMS and minutes. I'm living in Finland, Europe.

Psh. But do you guys have deep fried Twinkies? USA USA USA USA USA!

2015_12_11_17_45_57.jpg

Jealous...

Kabanossi

Psh. But do you guys have deep fried Twinkies? USA USA USA USA USA!

Sadly, not.

I'm going to spend two weeks in New York in December with my gf. Going to miss my unlimited data. :( How's public wifi in the US and especially New York? It's hard to find an open wifi where I live, but then again we have super-cheap LTE-plans. But it would suck to be a tourist in my city/country. Restaurants and places like that offer wifi but it's for paying customers only.

Enough off-topic. As usually, I'm looking forward to Apple's keynote. Even if we already know everything about the iPhone 7, it's somehow exciting to see Apple unveil it officially. I'm skipping this year's model and maybe even the 2017 re-design but 2018 will definitely be the year I'll buy an iPhone again.

RootCause

Best of all? It won't catch fire.

On a serious note. I'm far more interested in the Plus sized iphone. Can't see myself go back to puny screens again, and smaller battery life.

Edit

That dark blue better be real.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I plan to jump on that Apple store yearly upgrade program. Can I do that online and somehow pre-order? Or do I have to go into the store and do it?

Lo-Volt

Sadly, not.

I'm going to spend two weeks in New York in December with my gf. Going to miss my unlimited data. :( How's public wifi in the US and especially New York? It's hard to find an open wifi where I live, but then again we have super-cheap LTE-plans. But it would suck to be a tourist in my city/country. Restaurants and places like that offer wifi but it's for paying customers only.

There's a public wi-fi system in its pilot phase, LinkNYC. Which is okay but not even close to total coverage. But if you're in Manhattan during your trip, it isn't so bad. Bryant Park, on 42nd St., also has a wi-fi network available. Some subway stations have wi-fi but that isn't universal throughout the mass transit system. It's hit-and-miss.

Mortemis

Banned
So I plan to jump on that Apple store yearly upgrade program. Can I do that online and somehow pre-order? Or do I have to go into the store and do it?

If it's like last year, you make an appointment and reservation online selecting the phone you want, and come to the Apple Store on your appointment date and do it all there.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm
Confused about apples long term goals with the "lightening" earbuds.

Headphones right now are pretty universal, even apples own laptops have 3.5mm ports, if Apple really wants to set a new standard should the new headphones be usb-c? No device other than the iPhone will have a lightening port, not even MacBooks or iMacs.

So headphone manufacturers are going to have to create headphones exclusively for lighting ports, or will they make them usb and add in a lightening adapter?

It just seems way too messy.

I'm
Confused about apples long term goals with the "lightening" earbuds.

Headphones right now are pretty universal, even apples own laptops have 3.5mm ports, if Apple really wants to set a new standard should the new headphones be usb-c? No device other than the iPhone will have a lightening port, not even MacBooks or iMacs.

So headphone manufacturers are going to have to create headphones exclusively for lighting ports, or will they make them usb and add in a lightening adapter?

It just seems way too messy.

I'd say their long-term goal is wireless.

kaskade

All the upgrades seem pretty solid. I'm on that iPhone upgrade program so I might as well do it anyway. Especially if the 2017 iPhone is going to have some of the crazier rumored features.

Blackhead

Redarse
Have there ever been any rumors of dual-SIM?
There was a rumor 3 months ago but nothing since then
Still holding out hope that maybe they'll do it just for China.

Its very niche feature. I don't think Apple will ever go for it.
Well if they're doing that feliCa NFC phone just for Japan they could very well offer a dual-sim variant
It's a huge feature in many markets. Perhaps not so in-demand at the price points that iphone sits in though
Yeah most of the people who can afford iPhones in those markets usually just carry around multiple phones.

However I think dual-sim could also be a huge feature in western countries if offered here. The only reason it's not popular here is because carriers controlled the phones and never made those available. There's a growing demand in the USA for MVNOs which offer connections from multiple networks and a dual-sim iPhone would make it mainstream...
Not a fan of battery cases, let alone cases in general. Stopped using a case months ago and I love it.

Same here but then I carry around an external battery. My main interest in the plus model is for the battery life.

However I think dual-sim could also be a huge feature in western countries if offered here. The only reason it's not popular here is because carriers controlled the phones and never made those available. There's a growing demand in the USA for MVNOs which offer connections from multiple networks and a dual-sim iPhone would make it mainstream...

The better MVNOs have roaming though just like the big networks. Losing service because you're not tapping into multiple networks just isn't that common, the networks are just too robust for it to matter. Even in rural areas chances are there's usually one network that covers all your bases.

Jeffrey

Do remember when apple raised the minimum 16gb to 32gb on iPad, they also raised the starting price by $100.

I can see them doing that for iphone as well.

SeanR1221

I have 50gb left on my 128 but the wife only has 7gb left. She'll go for the 256, I'll stay 128 meaning my monthly payment should go down if the tier pricing is the same.

Azerare

The piano black and large memory got me interested... I may upgrade so long as the lightning headphone converters keep consistent quality.

Seeing a the A9 still outperforms most (all?) new Android phones, it won't be that difficult.

A9 still beasting. Amazing single core performance + ability to sustain that performance + blazing storage speed compared to competitors makes the 6s a champ.

A10 with 3gb of ram pushing 1080p will guarantee brilliant performance that will likely leave Android competition (samsung) in the dust, this year and the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom