• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I trade in my iPhone 6S+ 64 gb and lose the $330 (before tax) I spent on it so far for the iPhone 7? It will be a new lease, so I will have to pay another $750.

This is T-Mobile Jump on Demand.

If I continue to pay and keep the iPhone 6S+, then I will pay $394 more.

I guess this will depend if T-Mobile offer credits for 7+.

I kind of wished that I "upgraded" to iPhone SE back in March.

$850 is so much money for a phone. @.@

KevinG

That isn't the glass, rather the coating on the glass to make it anti-reflective and anti-greasy. That coating can produce those scratches that you can only see when the screen is off at the right angles.

That makes more sense than how I've perceived it. Thanks!

How does the Apple iPhone Upgrade program work? I want to get on that but not sure how that works with preorders and my current contract, etc. Might just have to go in to the store.

I'd like to know this as well.

Hey guys! iPhone Upgrade Program works like this: you pick your model (for example, I have a 6s Plus 64GB on the plan), activate it on your carrier (as of this moment it only works with the Big 4 in the U.S.: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint), pay the tax upfront, and you're good! It doesn't matter if your line is on a current contract since this is something you're buying through Apple, though it does not get you OUT of your current contract. If you're making payments to your carrier for your current phone you still owe that. The program does do a hard inquiry on your credit to approve you for the financed phone, and it does need a consumer credit card to start, no debit cards or company credit cards.

The price per month is (Retail Value of the Phone + AppleCare) / 24 months, and you can upgrade again after 12 payments along with turning in your phone. My monthly payment is $40.75 billed automatically to my card, though after the approval you can change it to a checking account instead. After 6 months you can pay off the rest of the phone and you'll own it. The phone despite being activated on a carrier is totally unlocked SIM wise, so you can change carriers or use local SIMs when traveling internationally.

When it comes to actually preordering just do it the same as anything else: pick your model online and choose to pick-up in-store

Keep in mind these are the rules with the 6s launch, it may change for the 7 launch. But that's the overview.

Gimme that dark black 7+. Although I'm tempted to just wait until next year to see what they do for the 10th anniversary since the 6+ still holds well.

pX2EapP.jpg

ido

For those who keep up with this stuff, what are the odds of another SE?

I sold my 6S+ for an SE and I have zero regrets.

I hope they hook us up with another SE.

I wouldn't be surprised if they launch an iPhone Mini along the iPhone and iPhone Plus next year. I feel like the iPhone SE was just a stop-gap because they didn't want to do a whole new iPhone 6 series design in a smaller phone this year when it would just get replaced next year.

If they had a 16GB I'd probably go for it again. I don't keep much on my phone so I could still handle it.

When my phone fills up, I just make sure my photo library is synced to Dropbox before wiping all my images from my phone.

KevinG

Hey guys! iPhone Upgrade Program works like this: you pick your model (for example, I have a 6s Plus 64GB on the plan), activate it on your carrier (as of this moment it only works with the Big 4 in the U.S.: AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint), pay the tax upfront, and you're good! It doesn't matter if your line is on a current contract since this is something you're buying through Apple, though it does not get you OUT of your current contract. If you're making payments to your carrier for your current phone you still owe that. The program does do a hard inquiry on your credit to approve you for the financed phone, and it does need a consumer credit card to start, no debit cards or company credit cards.

The price per month is (Retail Value of the Phone + AppleCare) / 24 months, and you can upgrade again after 12 payments along with turning in your phone. My monthly payment is $40.75 billed automatically to my card, though after the approval you can change it to a checking account instead. After 6 months you can pay off the rest of the phone and you'll own it. The phone despite being activated on a carrier is totally unlocked SIM wise, so you can change carriers or use local SIMs when traveling internationally.

When it comes to actually preordering just do it the same as anything else: pick your model online and choose to pick-up in-store

Keep in mind these are the rules with the 6s launch, it may change for the 7 launch. But that's the overview.

Thanks for this!

So, at the end of that year, when they announce the new iPhone, I simply bring in my phone and trade it out for the new one? I don't have to pay off the other phone before trading the old phone for the new model?

Kthulhu

Dunno if serious but if so, the pencil is not a stylus, it's an optional specialized input device, not a requirement to use the thing, which is obviously what Jobs meant.

It was a joke. I don't care what he meant it's still ironic.

Thanks for this!

So, at the end of that year, when they announce the new iPhone, I simply bring in my phone and trade it out for the new one? I don't have to pay off the other phone before trading the old phone for the new model?

You trading in your phone counts as a fulfillment of the rest of the loan. Apple pays it off for you, and you hop right onto the next model

The company will also bundle an additional 1 GB of RAM for the iPhone 7 Plus which is necessary to handle with the advanced camera processing provided by the dual-camera (an iPhone 7 Plus exclusive feature). Therefore, the 5.5.inch iPhone 7 Plus will include 3 GB RAM whereas the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 will feature 2 GB RAM – the same as the iPhone 6s.

Wait, so is that extra GB of RAM actually usable by apps, or is it reserved for the camera?

SE is a relatively new model so we don't know if it's one of the Apple products that gets frequent updates, or gets frequently neglected. If they do another SE, it'll be in March-ish.

fr0st

Banned
Wait, so is that extra GB of RAM actually usable by apps, or is it reserved for the camera?

SE is a relatively new model so we don't know if it's one of the Apple products that gets frequent updates, or gets frequently neglected. If they do another SE, it'll be in March-ish.
Probably usable by apps.

Chittagong

Gold Member
SE is absolutely given to receive a follow on, Apple surely tracks the devices an Apple ID uses and can see the amount of people going 6/6+/6S/6S+ => SE

While SE was a stop gap, I believe the superior screen size will become a basic size along with 4.7 and 5.5 as soon as they can manage to squeeze it into their usual cycle.

Insurance

Systematically Apple knows whenever you've swapped a phone at the Genius Bar or through AppleCare. There wouldn't be any pushback about having a different serial number as long as it got replaced through the proper channels.

It's actually one of the reasons they bundle in AC+ to the iPhone Upgrade Program phones (along with increased monthly charges and bette AC+ attachment numbers). If someone wants to turn in a phone that's a little beat up they just have to get a replacement at the bar for the subsidized price and you're free to upgrade it almost immediately

Mortemis

Banned
I'm cool with the plus getting better features, but really the only reason I prefer the plus is the better battery life. If the regular size 6 had as good as a battery as the plus I'd have for sure gotten it. I'll probably always stick with the plus since I don't think apple will put a good battery in the smaller size.

32gb is at that "almost enough but not quite" for me. Currently I have 37gb used on my 64gb plus, and I could probably delete some games and stream some music but I don't really want to go through that hassle. I like to have enough space so that I can just ignore managing it, and 64gb is that size for me right now.

SE is absolutely given to receive a follow on, Apple surely tracks the devices an Apple ID uses and can see the amount of people going 6/6+/6S/6S+ => SE

While SE was a stop gap, I believe the superior screen size will become a basic size along with 4.7 and 5.5 as soon as they can manage to squeeze it into their usual cycle.
I don't think SE will ever launched simultaneously with the new updates. There are enough people who prefer a 4-inch screen but who will snap up the 4.7-inch out of impatience.

Apple gets a lot more profit from the 6S than the SE because the latter is actually reasonably priced for the hardware you get on the inside. So it makes sense to stagger it out for maximum upfront profit, and then release the SE once you have enough excess parts to scrape together for SE production without hindering initial production output for the main lines.

On this forum, if someone has a super minority position, why are they called trolls? That's absolutely ridiculous and totally suffocating to conversation. Every thread I go to, the mods continue to allow the destruction of my minority opinion on 3.5mm smh. It's so hard to have minority opinions here and I blame that squarely on the moderation who allows and encourages the stifling of controversial minority opinions. Most of the times I've been banned are because I defended my minority position but the ad hominem majority continues to get away with their nonsense. Terrible.

If Apple ships an 3.5mm adapter in the box, the implied message is that a 3.5mm headphone port is something every iPhone should have, which is contrary to the decision to remove the port from the device itself. If they’re eliminating the port, they’re saying most people should not need it. If most people shouldn’t need it, there’s no reason to ship the adapter with every iPhone. Including the adapter is absolutely stupid and I pray to the high heavens they don't do something so dumb. It'll set the transition back so much. Just pull it off like a bandaid.

It doesn't matter what kooky little statement Apple wants to make, what matters is what PEOPLE are saying and how they're using their own phones. Simply put, 3.5mm is REQUIRED if you're going to be using your audio for several hours at once. I myself have a Bluetooth headset, but when I use it for flights I cannot go the entire day. Even when I started the day with a full charge the headset cannot make it. I'm not buying another headset either, I'm just plugging in my cheap wired ones to get me to the end of the day.

This is just one of countless situations. It's bad enough that Apple wants to relegate all wired users to a limp dick dongle, you're hoping Apple doesn't even give us that? Yeah no, people use these phones for their everyday lives. They're not interested in the latest flavor of the month tech gimmick to make their lives harder.

Surprising if Apple doesn't include wireless headphones with this. I look forward to the anandtech teardowns and the A10 review for sure though.

Pachimari

I need 128gb for my iPhone next. 64gb weren't enough, and 128gb isn't enough on my iPad. Although I'll wait until next years model, and start saving up for that one. This years improvements seems to be nice though. And I like that lightning EarPods are included.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gimme that dark black 7+. Although I'm tempted to just wait until next year to see what they do for the 10th anniversary since the 6+ still holds well.

pX2EapP.jpg

I was swayed by the black or piano black (guessing a premium on that), but I'd need a case on it dues to the slippery form factor so I wouldn't see it anyway

Wil348

Even if they are doing away with the headphone jack, it's nice to see that they are including an adapter in the box.

Floex

It's better than keeping 16gb.

Imagine 16gb, 128gb, 256gb tier.

Thas not the point. Apple knows how popular the 64gb model is, for many people it's the perfect sweetspot(for an iPhone). 32gb is too low in this day and age and many don't need 128gb meaning people now have to spend more on an already expensive phone.

Thas not the point. Apple knows how popular the 64gb model is, for many people it's the perfect sweetspot(for an iPhone). 32gb is too low in this day and age and many don't need 128gb meaning people now have to spend more on an already expensive phone.

well it depends by the pricing policy ... if the 128GB will be priced near the old 64GB then it's not an issue , only a plus

but in any case, to me the sweet spot is still 32GB + cloud storage / streaming

(and I'm using a S7 Edge with the possibility to expand trough micro sd... but I don't need it )

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The 4.7 inch iPhone 7 camera will be getting an upgrade but this KGI report focuses on the brand-new dual camera system which will be exclusive to the iPhone 7 Plus. The report says the dual camera will enable optical zoom and ‘light field camera applications’.

:|

Rootbeer

Banned
7+ Piano Black 128GB, come to me.

That's assuming it's only $100 to jump from 32 to 128. I'll spring for 128 but 256 is a bit more than I need probably.

The death of 16GB took so long that 32GB feels too small as well now. But it's still a huge improvement.

Just when I had decided which model I was getting they have to have two black colours. Kinda sucks that they're really pushing the plus as the "best" this time around - I really wanted to wait till the redesign to join the plus club due to dat bezel but oh well.

VoxPop

Welp didn't even get to play with my Note 7 back home but I guess I'm sending it back. 128GB Piano Black Plus, I'm in thereeee.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
7+ Piano Black 128GB, come to me.

That's assuming it's only $100 to jump from 32 to 128. I'll spring for 128 but 256 is a bit more than I need probably.

If piano black is low yield it'll be a premium price over the 'standard' offerings. Or only available on 256GB which is effectively the same thing

As much as I'd like it, I'm more likely to go black and then hopefully they work out yields and it's a normal priced option for next years supposed big refresh

Blackhead

Redarse
Any word on dual sim?

No rumors at least but I'd consider it very unlikely.
There was a rumor 3 months ago but nothing since then
Dual sim? Apple?

Ayyy
Still holding out hope that maybe they'll do it just for China.

Because android is terrible at it. Apple has shown that they do it right on the iPad.

Right but it was janky as fuck on Samsung devices I had used. Apple didn't invent it, they just made it work really well on a mobile device.

Ah, so that explains why Google's implementation of it in Nougat is an almost exact copy of Apple's method--because Samsung's was just so good and user friendly.

Seriously though, if you like how Samsung did it, that's great. I just happen to disagree with you. That's not to say I dislike Samsung or the stuff they make. But if their method of multitasking were so fantastic, you'd think Google would have implemented something similar into Nougat rather than the very-iOS-like thing they did instead.

But whatever. Our opinions don't match. Not a big deal. I still love you.

First, Apple's iPad multitasking UI sucks

Second, Apple just copying Microsoft anyway (but doing it poorly):
ype2ktM.jpg

I predict the same starting price as before but a $150 jump between tiers, like the current ipads

6s:
16GB $650
64GB $750
128GB $850

7:
32GB $650
128GB $800
256GB $950
I totally expect this as well
What about the 7+ though?
32GB $800
128GB $950
256GB $1100

And in Canada? :(
7:
32GB $999
128GB $1229
256GB $1479
Piano black??

Fuuuuuck
I'm cool with the plus getting better features, but really the only reason I prefer the plus is the better battery life. If the regular size 6 had as good as a battery as the plus I'd have for sure gotten it. I'll probably always stick with the plus since I don't think apple will put a good battery in the smaller size.
What if Apple has a new better battery case (not that silicon hump shit) for the 7 at launch?
I believe the superior screen size
Alternatively there's this crazy thing:
FFS let's not go back to insulting people's preference for different screen sizes. There is no 'superior' or 'crazy' screen size just different options.
I don't think SE will ever launched simultaneously with the new updates. There are enough people who prefer a 4-inch screen but who will snap up the 4.7-inch out of impatience.

Apple gets a lot more profit from the 6S than the SE because the latter is actually reasonably priced for the hardware you get on the inside. So it makes sense to stagger it out for maximum upfront profit, and then release the SE once you have enough excess parts to scrape together for SE production without hindering initial production output for the main lines.
The SE is just a stop gap to offer a cheaper 'good' iPhone. Once the iPhone 6/6s drops to the same price as the SE by next year most of the SE sales will plummet. Then Apple can introduce the next 4" variation as a premium similar priced to the newest 4.7" and 5.5" models.

Probably usable by apps.
It better be. If the third party keyboards are still crashing on the 7+ I will trash it.

Surprising if Apple doesn't include wireless headphones with this.
I'm getting worried by the lack of leaked Airpods. I've been begging for Bluetooth Apple headphones since the iPod nano watch, like over 7 years. Can you believe the very first iPhone actually had an official Apple Bluetooth headset? It was quickly discontinued — just like the very first iPad had an official hardware Keyboard which was quickly discontinued. Apple eventually released a new official hardware iPad Keyboard (case) which incorporated many of the industry innovations and I hope they do the same copying for their Bluetooth AirPods. I frankly don't care about sound quality (I mostly listen to podcasts and shitty snapchat videos) and all I want are:
  • Wireless stereo (done by Bragi)
  • Easy pairing (NFC etc done by everybody on android phones)
  • simultaneous multiple connections to atleast Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad and MacBook (Bluetooth multipoint done by Sony, Motorola etc)
  • good touch controls?
  • good battery life??

If Apple instead just parades some Basic bluetooth Beats earphones I am going to reach across my AppleTV, through the intertubes, and bitchslap Jony Ive with my pimp hand
assuming he even bothers to show up for the event :(

I wish they'd introduce a 6.2 inch phone, I want an even bigger screen.
Wait til next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom