• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly not keen on them skipping 64gb storage unless 128gb is comparable in price. I don't need more than 64gb but 32 would be too small for me.

I think I'll probs skip this years for the first time and wait and see what they bring to the table next year. That or I try Android for the first time.

f@luS

More than a member.
7+ 128 gig version day one. I have an iPhone 6+ and I absolutely love it. I was thinking about switching back to Android with the Galaxy Note 7 but seeing as how the iPhone 6s absolutely mashes it in speed tests im gonna stay put.
Same. If 3G ram is true it will be a beast
I have 20% off I guess the price here will be the same as the 6s+ 64 which is ....960e....here ... So I'll get it for 800

Ambient80

There is no burn in modern OLED displays, good fucking god. Do you really live in the year 2009 or what?

Even though Samsung makes those displays, it won't tarnish your precious little Apple made iPhone. Don't be that childish.

"Stop spreading misinformation....let me do it instead!!"

shoreu

"Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7" and hand gestures make me think this report is off on some parts. Some of it is plausible but hand gestures? The article says they could but might not, though, to be fair.

Fuck the adapter being included. Either remove it or don't. Don't let people half ass the transition without the pain of paying for an adapter.

Lol I'm sorry the 3.5mm hurt you.

Fhtagn

Think I'm not going to do a bi-yearly upgrade for the first time since I got my first smart phone. I just don't see the benefit over my 6 given the specs that have leaked. Now if the new Apple Watch has GPS and I can leave my phone behind on runs from now on I'm getting that instead.

Funny, I'm on a 6 and I can't wait to get the new phone. The CPU alone is worth the upgrade, especially when I can just sign up with Apple and get next year's phone without a hassle. I'm done with the two year cycle now.

I think I'm going to take the plus for a 30 day try out and return it in favor of the middle size phone if it ends up being impractical. After taking lots of nature photos on a vacation I am eager for that new camera tech and 256gb size.

Prologue

Funny, I'm on a 6 and I can't wait to get the new phone. The CPU alone is worth the upgrade, especially when I can just sign up with Apple and get next year's phone without a hassle. I'm done with the two year cycle now.

I think I'm going to take the plus for a 30 day try out and return it in favor of the middle size phone if it ends up being impractical. After taking lots of nature photos on a vacation I am eager for that new camera tech and 256gb size.

Future

So if you are on the 6 cycle and due for this upgrade... But also obviously considering buying an overhauled iPhone 8. What's the best way to do this?

I haven't bought phones since all the carriers stopped subsidizing (still on grandfathered att unlimited). Do I take the hit and purchase directly and try to sell next year? Or do I get on the new more expensive carrier plans that allow upgrades every year. Anyone already do this math?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Piano black? Low yields? Expect lots of Tim Cook 'gorgeous'. Very happy to see some more dark options coming though after so much focus on the White bezel models. Black bezel rocks.

Also removing 3.5mm to improve the pretty useless force touch is a bad trade.

I'm sim free the moment with a 6S+ 64GB. what would the likely delta be to upgrade? Tempted by a proper black and also an optical zoom on the camera.

There is no burn in modern OLED displays, good fucking god. Do you really live in the year 2009 or what?

Even though Samsung makes those displays, it won't tarnish your precious little Apple made iPhone. Don't be that childish.

You may need to go to a local cellphone store and check out their demos. We have 4 Samsung phones currently with burn in plus 1 tablet.

bedlamite

I'm so bored of iOS, but app quality is still tops and Android+it's apps will forever be a janky mess, which means I'm staying onboard for a while. Was thinking of hopping to the new Note but that looks like a real shitshow

Beast CPU and an improved DAC? Hell yes. Not exactly happy about losing the headphone port but I'm currently using QC35s anyway, and most of my wired headphones have detachable cables, so I'll just get an aftermarket Lightning audio cable and be done with it.

Yes, the black iPhone 4/S was the pinnacle of iPhone design.

Big difference between nice to look at and nice to use. The iPhone 4 looked gorgeous until you used it for 20 minutes, then it's full of fingerprints and looks like ass and constantly had to wipe it. It only looked "clean" if you didn't touch it.

I have a Note 5 with a glass back and it's the same shit. Fingerprints/grime out the ass. Glass finishes on casing and/or glossy finishes are the worst and it's baffling phone manufacturers continue pushing it. Well, not really I guess. It looks great in renders and marketing materials.

Fhtagn

Probably referencing the Apple upgrade program. Pay per month for the phone to either eventually pay it off and keep it, or after a year trade in the phone for the next version.

Yup, exactly that. Would have done it for the 6+ but then I would have been still paying off my 6 to AT&T for six months overlapping and it wasn't worth the double billing. Being able to upgrade anytime after 6 payments (restarting the 18 month clock at that point) makes it hella worthwhile to me, cuz odds are very good I want the latest phone every year, but I don't want to deal with the hassle of used sales.

Looks like a decent update. The A10 is obviously going to be a monster. Will likely buy day 1 since I just seem to upgrade every year and sell my old phone on Swappa.

Piano black, 128GB, Plus-sized please.

The lack of self-awareness in this post is astounding.

It almost reads like one person wrote the first three sentences, then someone else came along and wrote that last sentence in response to the first three.

I'm so bored of iOS, but app quality is still tops and Android+it's apps will forever be a janky mess, which means I'm staying onboard for a while. Was thinking of hopping to the new Note but that looks like a real shitshow

How is Android a janky mess? You must not have used an Android phone since Honeycomb.

jax

Banned
Totally useless upgrade unless it has true multitasking. The giant size of the plus will never be justified until iOS stops sucking.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Totally useless upgrade unless it has true multitasking. The giant size of the plus will never be justified until iOS stops sucking.

Like two apps on screen simultaneously ala the Note series? Because that sucks and no one uses it.

jax

Banned
Like two apps on screen simultaneously ala the Note series? Because that sucks and no one uses it.
Because android is terrible at it. Apple has shown that they do it right on the iPad. There is no excuse for the feature to not be included on a 2.4 ghz iPhone. Also, should be able to watch a video while doing other things. This is 2016. Should have been a feature years ago.

There's nothing that justifies the giant screen otherwise. Watching movies on a phone is a terrible experience. If there's no multitasking you might as well go with an SE and save a shitload of money, and gain one handed functionality in the process.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Because android is terrible at it. Apple has shown that they do it right on the iPad. There is no excuse for the feature to not be included on a 2.4 ghz iPhone. Also, should be able to watch a video while doing other things. This is 2016. Should have been a feature years ago.

There's nothing that justifies the giant screen otherwise. Watching movies on a phone is a terrible experience. If there's no multitasking you might as well go with an SE and save a shitload of money, and gain one handed functionality in the process.

It's just slightly nicer watching videos or browsing the web on a larger screen. Pretty simple really. Obviously watching videos on an iPad is better, but they don't fit in your pocket.

Also the camera upgrades kind of force me towards the plus

jax

Banned
It's just slightly nicer watching videos or browsing the web on a larger screen. Pretty simple really. Obviously watching videos on an iPad is better, but they don't fit in your pocket.

Also the camera upgrades kind of force me towards the plus
The improved camera will be nice, but unless the phone is totally waterproof and has multitasking I don't think I'm going to upgrade.

Bgamer90

Banned

"Watching video while doing other things" but watching video on a phone (in full screen) is a "terrible experience"? I don't understand.

The bigger screen is great for surfing the web, reading articles, and watching videos.

Wiz

Yo this sounds really nice. Coming from an iPhone 6 this would be a great update...

But the 2017 iPhone sounds like a dream. I can't help but wait for that one.

I could buy this and trade in for the next phone when that comes out. Has anyone tried doing that before?

I don't think Android is that bad at multitasking and split screen shit now that Nougat has basically copied how Apple does it. Not meant as an insult, because they all copy from each other, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure how stable it is on Nougat since I'm no longer a part of that ecosystem, but I'm sure it's fine.

jax

Banned
"Watching video while doing other things" but watching video on a phone (in full screen) is a "terrible experience"? I don't understand.

The bigger screen is great for surfing the web, reading articles, and watching videos.
People insist the #1 reason to own a phablet is for video. When watching video on a phone sized device is always a sub par experience to say, an iPad or laptop sized screen. It simply isn't worth losing one handed operation of the device for an inch more of video space. Surfing the web and reading articles is the exact same experience on every size phone.

you want dual screen app support on a 5" screen?
Yes. Android has had it for half a decade. Time for Apple to stop purposefully holding back the key feature of a larger screened device.

I don't think Android is that bad at multitasking and split screen shit now that Nougat has basically copied how Apple does it. Not meant as an insult, because they all copy from each other, but it is what it is.

I'm not sure how stable it is on Nougat since I'm no longer a part of that ecosystem, but I'm sure it's fine.
So they've fixed it since last I've tried it. That's good to hear. If Apple doesn't include split screen in the new + I think a boatload of people will switch to a Nougat device. There's simply no reason for the omission other than "lol apple lol"

Well really Apple and Google copied Samsung. Apple didn't invent split-screen or multitasking.

jax

Banned
Well really Apple and Google copied Samsung. Apple didn't invent split-screen or multitasking.
My bet is that they still have phone patents for multitasking. That's the only feasible reason Apple could have to omit such an important feature.

icespide

Banned
Wait, what are the rumors for the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus?
rumors are they are breaking their regular tick tock cycle. 2016 iPhone is a modest update from the 6, not a redesign. 2017 iPhone will be a drastic redesign to coincide with the 10th anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom