• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar

I'm upgrading because my 6S battery seems to be draining faster as time goes by.

I'd be cool with a 32gb dark black plus.

Pachimari

rumors are they are breaking their regular tick tock cycle. 2016 iPhone is a modest update from the 6, not a redesign. 2017 iPhone will be a drastic redesign to coincide with the 10th anniversary

This makes me excited. Didn't realize it was the 10th anniversary next year already. How time flies by.

My iPhone 6 is completely shattered, but I'm probably gonna pay for a repair within the next half year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
heh, I was a 64gb kid. guess I'm moving up to 128.

Me too. I'm just about managing with 32GB on iPad Pro, I think I'd be comfortable with 32 on an iPhone. Not having 64GB is almost as stupid as being stuck with 16GB on the base model for so long.

Fhtagn

rumors are they are breaking their regular tick tock cycle. 2016 iPhone is a modest update from the 6, not a redesign. 2017 iPhone will be a drastic redesign to coincide with the 10th anniversary

Yeah I think they are going to a tick tock tock cycle because they came make more significant advances in case design on a three year cycle than a two. Or perhaps aligning with the 10 year anniversary is a special case and they'll go back to tick tick after the 8.

Rendition

The anti-AMOLED stuff in this thread is bizarre. I have a S6 for about a year now and the display is the best thing about the device. The quad HD minute detail and AMOLED colors are glorious and bring a smile to my face every time I use it.

It blows the iPhone's display out of the water. No image retention issue whatsoever too.

Dirca

I'm kind of new to getting phones on launch day. Any one know of the 7th is really launch day? I can't find any info on Verizon's site, and I want to pre-order. Any estimates on month to month pricing?

I'm kind of new to getting phones on launch day. Any one know of the 7th is really launch day? I can't find any info on Verizon's site, and I want to pre-order. Any estimates on month to month pricing?

Preorder day should be the 9th, launch day is the 16th or 23rd.

To estimate month-to-month pricing take the estimated full price of the phone and divide it by 24. I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple which includes AppleCare in the cost and I pay $40.75 a month for a 6s Plus 64GB

TylerD

"Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7" and hand gestures make me think this report is off on some parts. Some of it is plausible but hand gestures? The article says they could but might not, though, to be fair.

Fuck the adapter being included. Either remove it or don't. Don't let people half ass the transition without the pain of paying for an adapter.

Without the pain of paying for an adapter? Who the fuck do you think you are?

TylerD

Totally useless upgrade unless it has true multitasking. The giant size of the plus will never be justified until iOS stops sucking.

Here goes this shit again. Hope you enjoy your tiny little 4 incher to go with your tiny hands and other tiny anatomy.

Anth0ny

Me too. I'm just about managing with 32GB on iPad Pro, I think I'd be comfortable with 32 on an iPhone. Not having 64GB is almost as stupid as being stuck with 16GB on the base model for so long.

apple are gods at not quite giving you what you want, and making money off it as a result

Dirca

Preorder day should be the 9th, launch day is the 16th or 23rd.

To estimate month-to-month pricing take the estimated full price of the phone and divide it by 24. I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple which includes AppleCare in the cost and I pay $40.75 a month for a 6s Plus 64GB
Alright, thanks for the info. I'm 1 payment away from being eligible for an upgrade. Last iphone I owned was the 4. Thought I'd come back

Right but it was janky as fuck on Samsung devices I had used. Apple didn't invent it, they just made it work really well on a mobile device.

Multitasking works fine on the Note 4, Note 5, S6 and S7.

So, no, apple weren't the first to "make it work really well".

jts

...hate me...
Reckon I'll be a bit jelly of the the first stage 3 iPhone, it will look boss, and I've always liked black more than space grey :(

Still, my 6s+ will carry me over at least one year more. It's actually hard to believe it has been a year already!

I'm upgrading because my 6S battery seems to be draining faster as time goes by.

I'd be cool with a 32gb dark black plus.

My Samsung S6 battery is useless. It just sucks up so much power that I have to always be conscious of how much I'm using it during the day.

Fhtagn

I haven't even used 10 gbs in my 6s plus.

My 128gb iPhone 6 is 99% full all the time but I have a lot of podcasts, audiobooks, photography and music on my phone. I end up riding close to my 10gb data plan every month so I use offline storage as much as I can.

After two flights in a row where the inflight entertainment didn't work, I'm looking forward to having enough buffer room to fit a few movies on my phone just in case.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My 128gb iPhone 6 is 99% full all the time but I have a lot of podcasts, audiobooks, photography and music on my phone. I end up riding close to my 10gb data plan every month so I use offline storage as much as I can.

After two flights in a row where the inflight entertainment didn't work, I'm looking forward to having enough buffer room to fit a few movies on my phone just in case.

I'm on a bigger data plan now so I could stream more podcasts rather than hoarding them offline. But I wish apple would change how photos are synced. I'd like to be able to upload them to the cloud but delete them from the phone to free up space, just keeping favourites. Right now you can't do that

Fhtagn

I'm on a bigger data plan now so I could stream more podcasts rather than hoarding them offline. But I wish apple would change how photos are synced. I'd like to be able to upload them to the cloud but delete them from the phone to free up space, just keeping favourites. Right now you can't do that

Yeah right now my Mac is in repair for a variety of reasons so I'm carrying 5gb of vacation photos around with me until I get it up and running again. (Should be done this weekend, just needed the latest version of Diskwarrior...)

Also I have 5gb in my iMessages and I'd like to archive all that and get it off the phone. What can I say, I send a lot of screenshots of funny things from Twitter etc to my wife.

derder

I've had a nexus phone since the nexus s. This will be my first time with an apple phone since the 3G. I hope this is all that they say it is.

How do I preorder one? T-Mobile or Apple store?

Monocle

Sounds hot except for the pants-on-head, fuck-my-earholes-bonkers removal of the headphone jack. What crap.

Seriously, I've got to carry around an adaptor to use the most common accessory ever with my phone? Sit and spin you dicks.

Guess I'll go with a 7S+ somewhere down the line.

Jeffrey

Wonder if apple will ever adapt some sort of quickcharge tech?

quickcharge 3.0 and usb-c fast charging has spoiled me good.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can we recommend front-facing speakers?

Also, re: colors, I wish they gave you the option of getting a white or black front with any back color. I love the gold back but would rather have a black front.

Also I plan to do the Apple store yearly upgrade program, do I pre-order at the Apple store to do it?

Multitasking works fine on the Note 4, Note 5, S6 and S7.

So, no, apple weren't the first to "make it work really well".

Ah, so that explains why Google's implementation of it in Nougat is an almost exact copy of Apple's method--because Samsung's was just so good and user friendly.

Seriously though, if you like how Samsung did it, that's great. I just happen to disagree with you. That's not to say I dislike Samsung or the stuff they make. But if their method of multitasking were so fantastic, you'd think Google would have implemented something similar into Nougat rather than the very-iOS-like thing they did instead.

But whatever. Our opinions don't match. Not a big deal. I still love you.

It's silly, sure. But I doubt I'll really miss it down the line.

I use my standard earbuds at the gym and my QC25 everywhere else. I'd just leave the adapter on my QC25 and use the new lightning earbuds in the gym.

My problem is more with how relatively unstable the lightning connector is compared to the rock-solid 3.5mm jack.

Yep. I've bent two of the stubby fuckers in the past year or so, and I'm not rough on my stuff at all.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sounds hot except for the pants-on-head, fuck-my-earholes-bonkers removal of the headphone jack. What crap.

Seriously, I've got to carry around an adaptor to use the most common accessory ever with my phone? Sit and spin you dicks.

Guess I'll go with a 7S+ somewhere down the line.

I use my standard earbuds at the gym and my QC25 everywhere else. I'd just leave the adapter on my QC25 and use the new lightning earbuds in the gym.

My problem is more with how relatively unstable the lightning connector is compared to the rock-solid 3.5mm jack.

Vyer

The anti-AMOLED stuff in this thread is bizarre. I have a S6 for about a year now and the display is the best thing about the device. The quad HD minute detail and AMOLED colors are glorious and bring a smile to my face every time I use it.

It blows the iPhone's display out of the water. No image retention issue whatsoever too.

I don't think there's a lot of 'anti' stuff, just that people need to be honest that there can be issues with it. Pretending there can't be any burn in is just not true.

That said, it can make for a beautiful display and if the issues are minor it's well worth a look.

Monocle

I'll definitely miss it. All of my headphones use, you know, headphone jacks and I have no intention of subjecting myself to whatever tinny garbage comes bundled with the phone.

Apple has achieved a new low in anti-consumer idiocy.

I need my phone to do four things at bare minimum: make and take calls, access the internet, take photos, and play my music. It's common fucking sense not to screw with any of these baseline functions.

Can we recommend front-facing speakers?

Also, re: colors, I wish they gave you the option of getting a white or black front with any back color. I love the gold back but would rather have a black front.

Also I plan to do the Apple store yearly upgrade program, do I pre-order at the Apple store to do it?

Preorder online and pick up at the Apple Store

Ah, so that explains why Google's implementation of it in Nougat is an almost exact copy of Apple's method--because Samsung's was just so good and user friendly.

Seriously though, if you like how Samsung did it, that's great. I just happen to disagree with you. That's not to say I dislike Samsung or the stuff they make. But if their method of multitasking were so fantastic, you'd think Google would have implemented something similar into Nougat rather than the very-iOS-like thing they did instead.

But whatever. Our opinions don't match. Not a big deal. I still love you.

Yep. I've bent two of the stubby fuckers in the past year or so, and I'm not rough on my stuff at all.

I'm not actually speaking strictly for myself, but for the huge amount of real estate agents that use the multitasking that Samsung aimed this at.

As for the Google difference, well...google gonna google. I've certainly not been a fan of a lot of their decisions.

I'm up for upgrade on my contract and will probably get this. This lack of headphone jack may finally lead me to invest in some Bluetooth headphones.

Anyone got good recommendations on Bluetooth headphones?

jax

Banned
could also be because multitasking like that on a phone sucks
Not true. At all. Have you used the newest iPad mini? The multitasking is amazing. In what capacity could you possibly think watching a video while browsing twitter/GAF sucks? Do you really not want to be able to FaceTime while operating features of your phone? Come on.

can we get a smaller SE with rounded edges?
My money is on the 10th anniversary device being exactly this. Bring back the OG curves and size, Apple. But with the same storage capacity and power as the larger iPhones.

Red

My money is on the 10th anniversary device being exactly this. Bring back the OG curves and size, Apple. But with the same storage capacity and power as the larger iPhones.
0% chance

There is no way in hell Apple will release a 3.5" 2:3 display in 2017.
Wonder if apple will ever adapt some sort of quickcharge tech?

quickcharge 3.0 and usb-c fast charging has spoiled me good.
It may not technically be Quick Charging but using a 2.1A charger will get a 6s plus from 0 to 100% in about two hours.

MRORANGE

All of these changes are incremental, nothing mind blowing unless you get the plus model for the dual camera.

Feels like an 'S' upgrade rather than a number change, should have called it the iPhone 6T.

Might just the 5SE and wait for next years model as the speculation behind that one with OLED and no physical button and a bode redesign is far more interesting.

jax

Banned
0% chance

There is no way in hell Apple will release a 3.5" 2:3 display in 2017.
I mean, the same form factor as the original, but bezel free. With a super HD display. No home button. No speaker. Totally futuristic monolith, all black front design.

200_s.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom