• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Starfield the most important game in Xbox's history since the original Halo?

sainraja

They seem to show it that way, at least for Bethesda. But too much marketing hype can bite you back. It seems people don't remind No Man Sky. I have no doubt that it will be a Bethesda title alright, full of bugs at launch but it will be better over time if they don't drop it.
They haven't been marketing the game at all. Any hype that it has been getting so far has simply been through fans of their games.

Jaybe

Since Halo, not sure. I do think Starfield is Xbox’s most important game for this generation (since I don’t think TES6 will make it). Its reception could range from Game of the Generation contention if it executes near perfect or innovates unexpectedly, or alternatively if could be Fallout 4 with a space skin and be dated graphically and in its game play. The optimistic side gets millions of extra consoles sold plus 10 million or more copies on PC and a new IP as a foundation. A failure of a game that doesn’t capture acclaim and sales and the Bethesda acquisition will look terrible. I do hope it’s closer to GOTG quality.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
No, the second biggest Xbox exclusive (at the time) was the OG 360 Gesrs of War.

Best trailer ever, still get goosebumps. Great game as well.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Halo was a marvel for consoles and made shooters feel at home for the first time ever. We have barely any clue how Starfield is going to turn out, but given the MS direction as of the past several years I hope they didn't bother touching it so it'll be good.

Crayon

Halo was a marvel for consoles and made shooters feel at home for the first time ever. We have barely any clue how Starfield is going to turn out, but given the MS direction as of the past several years I hope they didn't bother touching it so it'll be good.

There's not enough time to jack up the games that were most of the way through development. I'm sure they are trying, though.

Nydius

For the future of Microsoft, I'd have to say yes.

They really need something to knock it out of the park after such a lengthy delay between exclusives. We know they supposedly have a whole bunch of properties in development but every single one of them seem to be in some stage of development hell. Everwild, Perfect Dark, Fable, and Indiana Jones have all had articles in this last year about problems within the studios -- I wouldn't count on any of them showing up until late 2024 or mid-2025. A recent rumor says Avowed isn't coming until 2024. Gears is MIA, so probably nothing for a year-plus on Gears 6. Forza Motorsport is coming but I don't think that carries the same draw it once did (just as Gran Turismo isn't the same major system seller it was 20 years ago).

Starfield, and to a lesser extent Redfall and Hellblade 2, are going to have to do a LOT of heavy lifting for Microsoft this year.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Use your eyeballs and just describe what you see in reality. Watch the Starfield footage. Its Fallout 4 in space. Dont use your memory of the past.
So your saying that a future Bethesda RPG has some similar elements to past Bethesda RPGs?

The gunplay looks way more fast paced in Starfield compared to the Fallout series and the ship to ship space combat didn't look like anything in Fallout 4.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Comparing recent new IP that Bethesda signed off on seems like a better analogue than looking at the performance of an entry from an established franchise that launched 8 years ago. That was a totally different world.
Mate dont be stupid.

You are gonna blame a single studio for what the entire publisher greenlights.

Imagine blaming Naughty Dog for Destruction All Stars and saying its something Sony signed off on and Naughty Dog is also part of Sony so obviously their new multiplayer game will be the same level as Desturction All Stars, its a better analogue than looking at the performance of an entry from an established franchise.

Bethesda Games Studios doesnt sign off projects......they are a studio they pitch projects and hope they get greenlit.

If we are talking about Starfield and its pedigree we have to look at the studio developing it, and that studio is Bethesda Games Studios whose games are known to have legs.

Get serious man!

mxbison

I would say yes.

Guess most people didn't read the OP or even the title properly.

MS right now is defined by GamePass having big first party games at launch and it's been really, really dry. "Just wait until Starfield" seems to be the answer to all questions and criticism.

jigglet

Banned
I don't know. I'm looking forward to it but if I wasn't following games it doesn't seem to me the sort of game that would end up on my radar.

I think we'll see some very heavy "from the makers of Elder Scrolls / Skyrim" in the marketing.

shiru

Banned
Looks like a yawn inducing AAA bloatware. I struggle to understand how anyone can find such games appealing in the slightest. Even the name is boring and generic.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Xbox as a brand needs this game to succeed badly and I think it will my friends. I'm excited as crud for it even though I'm expecting it with a side of Bethesda jank.

Starfield isn't going to have the mass appeal some more hardcore xbox fans think it will, you will also have a hard time judging how well it really does because of game pass.

Halo was a phenomenon that made the leap from gaming to mass public awareness.

Starfield might be a great RPG.

They’re totally incomparable.

I'd say maybe it will be what Gears was for the 360. Which is probably second most important exclusive, since Forza and racing games are a bit of a niche audience. Gears somehow doesn't interest many poeple today, but oldass skyrim doing quite well sales numbers. So if it is not worse than the average Bethesda RPG it should do very well and eventually even mark the beginning for a proper sale increase of the console if the acquisition spree finally hit the ground running in its wake.

NahaNago

I'd say no. They've had a couple of other important games like halo 2 and 3 and gears of war since the original halo. The hype/buzz surrounding this game has been really weak. Starfield is only important in showing that Microsoft will release hopefully good AAA games again outside of just Forza.

sainraja

No, the second biggest Xbox exclusive (at the time) was the OG 360 Gesrs of War.

Best trailer ever, still get goosebumps. Great game as well.

Watch it without the music and see if you still feel that way. It also sets a completely different tone for the game; the tone that when you play it, you lose. It's not at all hopeless (with how the characters act, or maybe I have completely forgotten how the game was, lol).

Last edited:
100% yes. Has there ever been a time where Xbox needed a monster exclusive to deliver? Yeah, Halo Infinite should've been that game and they failed on almost every aspect of it.

Series X still hasn't had a killer app and this should be it. Kinda sad though to think this game should've been a third party game and the only reason MS has it is because they "cheated". That's the reality. I don't mind since I have both consoles but its still worth mentioning to show how bad MS has been with AAA exclusives this gen.

Gears 1 had huge hype back in 06 and delivered in spades for Microsoft.

Watch it without the music and see if you still feel that way. It also sets a completely different tone for the game; the tone that when you play it, you lose. It's not at all hopeless (with how the characters act, or maybe I have completely forgotten how the game was, lol).

Gojiira

Banned
How can it be OP? Microsoft had nothing to do with its development at all, they simply bought it…
No a possibly important game for Xbox would be Fable, its a true first party game, their first real new AAA title in years, that could be something. But Starfield? No…

yurinka

No.

Halo meant something very important, to become the first FPS with proper controls in console, and later a great online MP. It was something very different and innovative, became iconic of Xbox, and there wasn't anything like that back then.

Starfield still didn't prove anything. As of now, it only seems a AAA version of No Man's Sky, or Skyrim's in space (for this gen), or Bethesda's Mass Effect (for this gen). And having previous stuff from Bethesda like the releases of Redfall, Fallout 76 and Elder Scroll's online I'd wait at least until its release to see if it's going to be a great game.

I think the most imporatant Xbox game since Halo was Gears of War, and that Starfield won't be more important than Gears was. I think it will only be important for the MS/Bethesda fans, or at least part of them in case it turns out to be really good. Which is likely but I'm not 100% sold.

Last edited:

Del_X

Despite this game moving consoles, warriors cannot cope.

Despite this game having extra dev time with Microsoft’s backing, they “did nothing” and “cheated.”

I guess capital expenditures are just cheating.

Beechos

Yes It is. If this game can't move the needle for ms they have no chance of overtaking sony short of some historic screw up. Then again starfield seems to be getting really good buzz right now and maybe this gaas move by Sony will be their historic screw up.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Despite this game moving consoles, warriors cannot cope.

Despite this game having extra dev time with Microsoft’s backing, they “did nothing” and “cheated.”

I guess capital expenditures are just cheating.

They get all the blame for Redfall and none of the credit for Starfield. Interesting, huh?

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Starfield was not a launch game to carry the heavy burden Halo carried on a completely unknown console. But right now Starfield is extremely important for MS to show they can have big games too.

Last edited:

Pelao

I'm surprised at the amount of hype around Starfield after the showcase when it just seems like yet another Bethesda game. It makes me wonder if most of the people very excited about what was shown are too young or have too bad of a memory to remember the hype cycle of all the previous Bethesda games. Their games are good, but they have a tendency to promise more than they can deliver.
I wonder how well Peter Molyneux would do selling his snake oil to current year's gaming crowd. :pie_thinking:

small_law

There have been so many make it or break it moments for Xbox. The red ring of death should have sunk them. Kinect pack-in should have too. Starfield's release is going to be up there. You can't go this long without a big game.

I can't miss an opportunity to bash 343. If they had just maintained halo wear it was when bungie left, Xbox would be in a way better place right now.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I'm surprised at the amount of hype around Starfield after the showcase when it just seems like yet another Bethesda game. It makes me wonder if most of the people very excited about what was shown are too young or have too bad of a memory to remember the hype cycle of all the previous Bethesda games. Their games are good, but they have a tendency to promise more than they can deliver.
I wonder how well Peter Molyneux would do selling his snake oil to current year's gaming crowd. :pie_thinking:

It’s getting a lot more hype than usual because it looks quite good and of the position MS is in. We probably wouldn’t be having this conversation if from 2021-2022 they executed on their other titles, though.

It’s probably getting a bit too overhyped, I’m hearing a lot of pretty absurd claims about it being the end all be all open world experience that no other open world game can compete in, which is ridiculous of course. It has plenty of pros, cons, and warts to talk about.

It is nice to finally have another banner release on Xbox though. It likely is the prize possession right now in their first party studio, the only problem is that they don’t have too many more massively impressive productions like this in the works that we’ve seen other than maybe Fable.

There’s plenty of other smaller scale releases that look below AAA tier; still very interested to check them out and some could be excellent but they don’t garner the same level of excitement

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Not even close, not even for bethesda

If starfield sucks and flops (unlikely) bethesda will just go and make elder scrolls 6 and print millions again. MS will have to tough it out for a bit but theyll have other games in 2024 hopefully.

Last edited:

YuLY

I've been waiting for a game like this since 2012 after I finished the Mass Effect trilogy and gaming hasnt been the same ever since, since nothing compared to it. I realize this wont be a full space opera game since it doesnt seem to have intelligent aliens, but it is the closest thing I could imagine besides that.

This will probably be the game of the generation for me. I will spend the entire autumn exploring this world.

There is a lot of hype because space games is an underserved market. NMS was also super hyped, as was Mass Effect, and Star Citizen has racked up 600 million in consumer funding. Clearly there is a hunger out there for a space faring game.

It’s getting a lot more hype than usual because it looks quite good and of the position MS is in. We probably wouldn’t be having this conversation if from 2021-2022 they executed on their other titles, though.

It’s probably getting a bit too overhyped, I’m hearing a lot of pretty absurd claims about it being the end all be all open world experience that no other open world game can compete in, which is ridiculous of course. It has plenty of pros, cons, and warts to talk about.

It is nice to finally have another banner release on Xbox though. It likely is the prize possession right now in their first party studio, the only problem is that they don’t have too many more massively impressive productions like this in the works that we’ve seen other than maybe Fable.

There’s plenty of other smaller scale releases that look below AAA tier; still very interested to check them out and some could be excellent but they don’t garner the same level of excitement
Source?

You've been pretty critical of this game for days now, over 100+ posts and mostly downplaying it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Source?

You've been pretty critical of this game for days now, over 100+ posts and mostly downplaying it.

Lol. This is what I’m talking about. I’m not being that critical at all. It looks fantastic and I’m super hyped to play it. It’ll likely be in my top 5 this year if it hits as hard as the direct made it appear.

My posts in the other thread were discussing the reasoning behind the lack of a 60 fps mode.

But some seem to think that if it’s not the GOAT and better than anything that’s ever come out or set to come out with the deepest gameplay systems ever devised that I’m being highly critical? No, maybe certain people are just way overhyping this game. It’s Fallout with a space twist and massively improved visuals for what Bethesda is usually known for - and that’s fantastic of course, but there are so many amazing titles releasing this year that are just as easily worthy of similar praise.

If you’re a hyper fan of Bethesda games and this really is your personal GOAT, then great. I just thinks it’s another great game for what’s shaping up to be a truly amazing year in gaming.

Neo 007

2 weeks into the release there'll be a thread on how bad the game is and how so many hate it.

The internet's gunna Internet.

I think it could be, but for me it would be combined with the fact that they’ve not had a hadn’t had a decent first party exclusive in over a year and then Redfall came out at a time when they really needed a good game and it was an absolute disaster.

I think the context of Redfall is interesting too. If it had come out amidst a few other games that were first party, the fact it was bad would probably have been muted by the success of the other games and not raked over the coals as much as it was.

To answer your question more bluntly though, yes, Starfield is probably as important to MS (at this point in time specifically) as Halo was on the OG Xbox and Gears of War on the 360.

X-Wing

How can it be OP? Microsoft had nothing to do with its development at all, they simply bought it…
No a possibly important game for Xbox would be Fable, its a true first party game, their first real new AAA title in years, that could be something. But Starfield? No…

Like with Halo?

Top Bottom