• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Xbox One OS The worst ever for these task-filled console OS's?

I mean the PS3 was pretty bad back in the day but that was a long time ago. How is the One so bad in 2019. Almost 2020.

My system has been updating for 15 minutes. And it's not the download.

The UI is sluggish and bad. The footage recording feature sucks balls compared to the PS4.

Game installs still are insanely slow.

I honestly just don't understand how this is possible.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t think it’s much better over on PS4. I have my issues with that OS/system too, including install speed, general speed, UI, and also download speed.

I will now commit the most dangerous act one can, on NeoGAF.

Although the lack of online options, like at all, and possibly the lack of finer details are as big a minus as the above, the Switch actually excels at a lot of everyday things I need an OS to excel at. It’s fast, fluid, well-laid out and gets the job done without ever getting in your way.

My biggest problem with their OS is everything about how game updates work. If a game starts updating it locks you out of playing it until the update is done, which is retarded on its own, the PS4 doesn't do that. If you cancel the update your only option is to uninstall the entire game, like wtf? Its glitchy as all hell, I had 3 first party games download the size of the entire game when it said it was doing an update. Sometimes it won't let me pause an update until I hard restart the console. Just a horrible experience all around, Microsoft better fix it for their next console.

Fox Mulder

I switched to ps4 but like some things from the xb1.

The xb1 doesn’t scream at you for fucking up because the power went out. I’ve had my ps4 database corrupted twice and had to go into safe mode. Kind of dumb really.

I think suspending a game to switch between another app like YouTube works smoother on the xb1.

I also just can’t put Vudu or YouTube on the Ps4 home screen like I want and can on the xb1. Gotta load into a menu and scroll past content ads and apps I don’t even have installed.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s much better over on PS4. I have my issues with that OS/system too, including install speed, general speed, UI, and also download speed.

Although the lack of online options, like at all, and possibly the lack of finer details are as big a minus as the above, the Switch actually excels at a lot of everyday things I need an OS to excel at. It’s fast, fluid, well-laid out and gets the job done without ever getting in your way.
I've never tried the Switch unfortunately.

But on PS4 my experience was WAY better.

zenspider

You're not alone!

I will sing Switch OS's praise from the mountain tops. It's the fastest "zero-to-game" of any system since the GBA and N64, and every feature (or non-feature) optimizes or tilts towards that.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hmm. I don’t think it’s that bad. Each system has their annoyances. PS4 has a bizarre update system now where it has to unpack everything after it downloads, for instance.

One thing I can definitely say that I don’t like on Xbox, even using the Xbox One X is the sluggishness of the UI when you’re in the store, browsing games or trying to find something. Every time you pull up a new game there’s a system pause (while the video for the game loads) for maybe 3-5 seconds, then an overly loud outburst of sound from the game, followed by me rapidly trying to scroll down to kill the annoying sound, then more sluggishness navigating the different panels for the game (looking for DLC, looking at reviews, etc). 12GB DDR5 later and you still can’t make that shit smooth? PS4 isn’t my perfect either but I’d say it’s a bit snappier than the X overall.

Last edited:

Fbh

The WiiU was pretty bad too.
It was basic, lacked features (like party chat for example) and yet it was still painfully slow. You pretty much couldn't do anything without going through several seconds of loading (the browser was surprisingly good though).
The Ps3 OS was slow as fuck too and could hardly even run the latest PSN store, but at least that one released in 2006 which made it a bit more understandable.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Microsoft has a lot to prove regarding OS, a lot of gamers were happy with the original Xbox 360 dashboard, and Microsoft keeps adjusting over and over shooting themselves in the foot. SONY seems to be leading in the OS department. I give gamers credit for being aware of operating systems on consoles.

Dthomp

Have all the current gen, and last gen consoles. Xb1 UI is worse then anything else I've ever experienced. It's like they go out of their way to think "How can we make this worse?"

I’ve got 2 external hard drives hooked up to mine. Nothing is more frustrating then turning on from sleep and suddenly it doesn’t see one of the hard drives.
This always happened to me too. I legit switched out one of my HDDs and transferred everything over because it kept happening over and over.

Dante83

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but PS4 has lags and weird pauses from time to time, and not to say XB is perfect, but I find the experience to be better on MS console. Game downloads are also a lot more faster on XB compared to ps4. I can't stand ps4's slow download speeds. This is something sony should work on for the ps5.

xool

It's not clear why the interface is so slow (taking peoples word for it don't have XONE) - because I've got a 2GB Z3735F based windows 10 PC (1.4GHz clock sub 5W power) [half the performance of jaguar roughly] and it's snappy and responsive all the time ..

?

Last edited:

dottme

I already said it I really dislikes the Xbox One OS. But it’s because the dashboard is focusing on advertising random stuff instead of focusing on making playing game simple and fast.

Pallas

I feel everyone’s frustration about the lagginess of the Xbox One OS, when you are browsing games in the game store. I do however love how they have that same store organized personally. Just wish it was more responsive.

I like the PS4’s UI as well, not so much the store but just the placement of stuff is good.

I have to say that both the PS4 OS and Xbox One OS are bad - but the Xbox One OS is worse. The fact that it is still as jerky and unresponsive as it is after all this time is simply ridiculous. Even with the new update running, I still experience "pauses" that can last as long as 15 seconds or so at times.

ps4 isn't much better. i try to power the system off cleanly while having a game open (black ops 4) by holding down the button on the controller, and it's such a slow, clunky piece of shit. it randomly scrolls up and down and button presses take 5 - 10 seconds to register. this is on a ps4 pro

xbox one os is indeed terrible however

ethomaz

Banned
ps4 isn't much better. i try to power the system off cleanly while having a game open (black ops 4) by holding down the button on the controller, and it's such a slow, clunky piece of shit. it randomly scrolls up and down and button presses take 5 - 10 seconds to register. this is on a ps4 pro

xbox one os is indeed terrible however
You clearly have a defected PS4.
A command never took 5 seconds to work and the menu open instantaneous...

ethomaz

Banned
repeat the steps above and tell me its not a slow, laggy piece of shit (on a pro no less). i'll take a vid if you dont believe me

and no, my ps4 is fine
I did it right now and it is fast.
What you are facing is not the normal experience on PS4.

Last edited:
My biggest problem with their OS is everything about how game updates work. If a game starts updating it locks you out of playing it until the update is done, which is retarded on its own, the PS4 doesn't do that. If you cancel the update your only option is to uninstall the entire game, like wtf? Its glitchy as all hell, I had 3 first party games download the size of the entire game when it said it was doing an update. Sometimes it won't let me pause an update until I hard restart the console. Just a horrible experience all around, Microsoft better fix it for their next console.
I thought that the xbox store was somehow better than the windows 10 store, but it seems like it's really the same buggy piece of software.

I doubt they will fix it, MS doesn't fix that kind of problem in their software.

TLZ

Banned
You're not alone!

I will sing Switch OS's praise from the mountain tops. It's the fastest "zero-to-game" of any system since the GBA and N64, and every feature (or non-feature) optimizes or tilts towards that.
But it's not faster than the PS4. I think you mean that because the Switch goes from standby to game, not from a total powered off state to game, right? Standby to game is the same on both PS4 and Switch I think.

Bodom78

I have no problems with the layout and navigation. But once it starts becoming sluggish and hitchy it's a real pain and usually requires a reboot.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I mean the PS3 was pretty bad back in the day but that was a long time ago. How is the One so bad in 2019. Almost 2020.

My system has been updating for 15 minutes. And it's not the download.

The UI is sluggish and bad. The footage recording feature sucks balls compared to the PS4.

Game installs still are insanely slow.

I honestly just don't understand how this is possible.

Xbox one system is not perfect, but the ui is far from bad. Let alone ps3 one.
With the sidebar you have friends, games, messages, sharing options, notifications all at one place.
Regarding install times, incant tell, im all digital.

TUROK

I did it right now and it is fast.
What you are facing is not the normal experience on PS4.
Could be a PS4 Pro thing. Because I've had something similar happen to me before. Usually the guide pops up in a reasonable amount of time, but sometimes it does hang for like a legit 4-7 seconds.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
If you compare Ps4 to Xbox ui there's a lot more shit going on on Xbox as you scroll across, Ps4 is more simple and clean but i like both. We still have our fat Xbox one and that is pretty snappy tbh but the X takes a while for it to get going and even then when its loaded things in its got a lag to it. I read somewhere the DDR3 has something to do with it as its faster a doing certain things than DDR4 (don't know how true that is) Across all 3 ( i have Pro as well) downloading games is pretty much the same. I do like the bar that pops up on the side tho on Xbox, you get around quick and see friends quick on that but you need decent internet speed it seems to go to store etc as it loads in content. Same on Ps4 but speed is only as good as your internet and Xbox as something internet related on every page where as Ps4 does not as you flick between icons. When i go on anything where Ps4 has to access internet it can be the same as Xbox, sometimes worse sometimes better and vice versa.

DiscoJer

It's pretty awful. Like why do I have to press so many buttons to get to my apps/games? I have to click on my name, then see my apps & games, then click down to either apps or games.

On the Switch, literally everything I have is on the main screen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best Xbox OS was the old ass 360 blades. Simple, fast and looked decent. Of course, it was skimpy on features back then, but on a pure usability and speed factor, the best Xbox OS I've used.

The Xbox One Windows 10 thing isn't that bad in terms of layout and features. They've added a lot of good features. Problem is it's always chugged along at sluggish speeds, especially the store where it's trying to download all the images. Every once in a while and new OS update comes and everything speeds up.... but then after a bit it gets slow again even on X.

Amazing how an OS built on a system probably 10x more powerful can run worse than an OS released in 2005. And Xbox One's even have and additional 8gb of Nand ram which is supposed to help with the OS. And it's still chuggish.

I don't now what it is. Xbox One has too many features eating up ram, the store pics are too intensive, or Win 10 layout is just a resource hog.

Grinchy

Banned
The Xbox One OS really is bad. It's just completely unintuitive, slow, and filled with shit you don't even care about that's the reason it's all so sluggish in the first place.

Though, the PS4 OS has its quirks too. Having to re-copy the entire game to install a single patch is asinine.

I’ve got 2 external hard drives hooked up to mine. Nothing is more frustrating then turning on from sleep and suddenly it doesn’t see one of the hard drives.
I used to have that problem but haven't in maybe over a year with my external drives, its been smooth.

Ma-Yuan

I leave my Xbox one s offline buy only cheap games from the bargain bin and get no achievements 🤣 when u offline the OS is OK to just play games. And I hate it to this day that u can't fucking download an update and play the game while it downloads. This is a day one feature for ps4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Blades were so incredible (as long as You cleared cache once in a while) and even NXE on 360 was good but then they went full crazy with tiles and windows 8/10 crap

Top Bottom