• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Xbox One OS The worst ever for these task-filled console OS's?

ps4 isn't much better. i try to power the system off cleanly while having a game open (black ops 4) by holding down the button on the controller, and it's such a slow, clunky piece of shit. it randomly scrolls up and down and button presses take 5 - 10 seconds to register. this is on a ps4 pro

xbox one os is indeed terrible however

I have the same problem with Black Ops 4 but other games (most of them) are fine. I think the problem lies at how some games are structured. I don't know if it's the console to blame, those games or both.

PS4 Pro for me.

Kagey K

Banned
I miss the blades. Bring back the blades! So fresh! So clean! So fresh and so clean!
I see this complaint all the time.
The blades are still there, you just use the Xbox button on your controller to activate them.
Once you are in that screen they act exactly the same as they did on 360. You never have to use the XB1 dash if you don’t want to, by doing this.

Anki

Banned
As someone who has used all the designs extensively, this update is worse. I’m not sure why you want it. It actually makes things harder to get to.

Oh man that sucks, I read it somewhere that the new update speeds up the menus.

Regarding install times, incant tell, im all digital.
You still need to download then install the games... like the PS3 did.

On PS4 this is one step, and sometimes you can start playing before the download is even finished.

As far as the interfaces go, I have not spent much time on the xb1, but it did seem cumbersome and it got in the way of whatever I was trying to do.

The early 360 interface was pretty good, I did not have one, but this console OS seemed to be better in about every way one could think of, to both the PS3 and xb1.... so whatever went on at MS wasn't well planned.

JLB

Banned
You still need to download then install the games... like the PS3 did.

On PS4 this is one step, and sometimes you can start playing before the download is even finished.

As far as the interfaces go, I have not spent much time on the xb1, but it did seem cumbersome and it got in the way of whatever I was trying to do.

The early 360 interface was pretty good, I did not have one, but this console OS seemed to be better in about every way one could think of, to both the PS3 and xb1.... so whatever went on at MS wasn't well planned.

In most Xbox One digital games, you can start playing before finishing the installation.

RScrewed

i prefer the xbox os 🤷‍♂️

Honestly, like...why?

Do you prefer having no progress bar in favor of a looping animation when starting up the console and not knowing at all if it is frozen or still loading, or in what stage of startup it is at?

Do you prefer not being able to uninstall apps you may not want, like Mixer or Edge?

Do you prefer that if you go into Cortana settings, change nothing, and exit out, the system OS still requires an entire reboot for God-knows-what reason?

Do you prefer not being able to customize what categories of options are at the top to navigate through?

Do you prefer not being able to customize or turn off what ads take up 40% of the landing page in the dashboard when you start up the console?

Do you prefer having to drill down to find information about games you own and bought? Not being able to list them with any useful information.

I'm literally making myself angry thinking about this. The only reason people must not be angry about it is that they don't know how much better it could be.

Every homebrew option leaves Microsoft (and even Sony) in the dust and it's the simplest things. Why not show us information we actually want to see?

wii-wiiflow-lite-v520-disponible.png

grid.png.c89cd468f11ad924367978ca768e0154.png

AutoBleem-default-theme-interface-1024x576.jpg

Lol, look at the Xbox landing page:

ejmhtqhs6ks11.png

And the "All Games" page which you have to freaking drill down into:

upe58nn1utuz.jpg

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That install feature MS added has been on the PS4 since launch in 2013.

I’m confused.
Ok, first of all, you're wrong. The name of the feature I'm referring to is called FastStart. I've posted a link below. Secondly, why would it matter even if Sony did offer the same thing at launch. My point was that some of the things the OP mentions, I've experienced ON BOTH SYSTEMS.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok, first of all, you're wrong. The name of the feature I'm referring to is called FastStart. I've posted a link below. Secondly, why would it matter even if Sony did offer the same thing at launch. My point was that some of the things the OP mentions, I've experienced ON BOTH SYSTEMS.

I was just confused because you made it sound like MS has this feature and Sony does not to speed up getting into the game.

Sony has been doing this since the PS4 launch. Patent may be different ways of doing it, but the execution is the same.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I was just confused because you made it sound like MS has this feature and Sony does not to speed up getting into the game.

Sony has been doing this since the PS4 launch. Patent may be different was of doing it, but the execution is the same.
I'm sorry. Is there some evidence of this? I mean, I only ask because I did provide some.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm sorry. Is there some evidence of this? I mean, I only ask because I did provide some.

PlayStation's is called PlayGo.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
PlayStation's is called PlayGo.

Yea still, xbox could also do this from launch. FastStart is for specific games. There's only a list of 120 games FastStart works for. So I still think we are talking about something different here.

I have the same problem with Black Ops 4 but other games (most of them) are fine. I think the problem lies at how some games are structured. I don't know if it's the console to blame, those games or both.

PS4 Pro for me.

agreed, it definitely seems like a resource consumption issue to me. the OS has very limited multi tasking built into it, i would guess that the scheduler is giving maximum priority/resources to whatever game is running and not reserving enough for the OS to perform whatever non-critical tasks it needs to do

Ma-Yuan

I leave my Xbox one s offline buy only cheap games from the bargain bin and get no achievements 🤣 when u offline the OS is OK to just play games. And I hate it to this day that u can't fucking download an update and play the game while it downloads. This is a day one feature for ps4.

Well I have to vent.

I bought Borderlands 3 for Xbox One in my case the X and I just can't fucking play it offline . . . The Disc Version prompts me to Store where I should buy it. (WTF) If I go offline it tells me I have to go online to play it . . . I can't find anything about this online . . . But its fucking annoying. I have a 50mbit line but it updates the 19gbytes patch with 7 to 10 mb/s so this will take at least 5h to update . . . (maybe then it would start)
Hell I hate that MS just didn't manage to proper let people play offline within 7 fucking years . . . I really like my XBX but those bogus update sizes always let me play offline initially and when I have the time I let let it be updated for the next day. But this isn't plug and play . . . This is just unacceptable . . . If this gets worse with the Series X I won't buy it and I hope Sony doesn't fuck the PS5 OS up in a similar way. . .

stranno

I would add WiiU's Cafe OS to the list. It is probably the slowest OS I have ever seen to get to the main menu. It takes ages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom