• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It looks like Xbox Series X console shortage are finally coming to an end

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That’s one thing I didn’t think about! Can sony guarantee every chip an clock up to the high clock speed or will they need to bin the chips? If they don’t reach 2230mhz or whatever it is, are they just binned and have to be sold off to come other company or something? How does it work?

kingfey

Banned
1) production on X Series X is lower than all the other consoles including Switch and PS5. I'm not sure why you think MS have somehow one-upped others here.
Because there is 2 different systems, unlike the ps5 and ps5d, which is just a change on disc.
MS has half of Sony order for wafers. They are using that to their advantage to increase the production of xss, which means less production for xsx.

2) If you look at your actual console you will see Xbox Series X says made in China on it whereas PS5 says made in Japan.
They have manufacturing sites in other countries. Not all xsx or ps5 will say China or Japan.
3) both MS and Sony rely on Foxconn but have assembly lines all over. The majority of PS5s were made on a fully automated assembly line in Japan.
Gz on making your 2nd point useless.

4) explain why the series x is also in stock in other places like the UK, Middle east and Japan if you think production is limited by logistics for the US.
Sometimes, people forget how to use common sense.
Companies drop one big shipments all around the world. Because the manufacturer has alot of sites around the world.
Each of these produce as much as they can. Then they get allocated to these areas.

Maybe think, before you post. It will help you sometimes.

kingfey

Banned
In the US maybe, EU and Japan is still too strong. I don't know what would be classified as successful internally.
Those market is hard for MS.
Unless they continue to make gamepass big, they won't be able to over throw PS on those market.

The x360 couldn't break down the Europe and japan market.

reksveks

production on X Series X is lower than all the other consoles including Switch and PS5. I'm not sure why you think MS have somehow one-upped others here.
Xbox production was definitely smaller than the PS5 at launch and in the first year, not 100% sure it's the case in the previous calendar quarter. If you have have been outsold Ytd in the US/UK, think there are questions then.

Three

Because there is 2 different systems, unlike the ps5 and ps5d, which is just a change on disc.
MS has half of Sony order for wafers. They are using that to their advantage to increase the production of xss, which means less production for xsx.

They have manufacturing sites in other countries. Not all xsx or ps5 will say China or Japan.

Gz on making your 2nd point useless.

Sometimes, people forget how to use common sense.
Companies drop one big shipments all around the world. Because the manufacturer has alot of sites around the world.
Each of these produce as much as they can. Then they get allocated to these areas.

Maybe think, before you post. It will help you sometimes.

Tell me what any of that (xbox series s wafers, also relying on foxconn, etc) has to do with this chain of replies here:

hopefully this happens to PS5 as well.

People are still queuing up for PS5 preorder in my country facepalm.

Won’t happen until Sony starts producing the consoles outside of China/Foxconn. The reason you’re seeing Xboxes available is because MS has a plant in Mexico

All I'm saying is that a Mexico plant or single reliance on China/Foxconn is not the reason you are seeing xbox series x stock and the stock isn't even high because Series X stock is the lowest of all the console. The stock you are seeing is made in China. I bet people who get these Series X consoles from this batch would have Made in China stamped on the side.

Xbox production was definitely smaller than the PS5 at launch and in the first year, not 100% sure it's the case in the previous calendar quarter. If you have have been outsold Ytd in the US/UK, think there are questions then.

I have no doubt the sum of XSS + XSX is ahead this quarter YTD in the US not overall in the US, UK or anywhere else. UK I don't think YTD they are ahead.

XSX stock/production though specifically is lower than PS5 and demand for XSX isn't that high that it sells out in minutes. Nothing to do with plants in Mexico, China, or Foxconn congestion. The majority of its sales are XSS, that's a fabrication issue not an assembly line one.

Last edited:

CosmicComet

This gen may very well come down to superior supply chain instead of marketing and exclusives and Xbox seems to be winning in the supply chain side over Sony.

Sales beget sales. It's not as if they sell in a vacuum. So every Xbox that sells because a PS5 was not available is likely a lost PS5 sale for the whole generation.

With mega inflation, people are even more likely than usual to be single console owners.

reksveks

I have no doubt the sum of XSS + XSX is ahead this quarter YTD in the US not overall in the US, UK or anywhere else. UK I don't think YTD they are ahead.

UK is the same as the US YTD.

Yeah, think the series s is at least half the production. I don't know about globally of course. Going to be an interesting earnings call. We would need like 4m xbox units for series x to even have a chance which I doubt it.

I think also the major bottleneck is the Apu for sure.

AllBizness

Banned
I think this is a genuine assumption. If costs are increasing across the whole supply chain that impacts Sony and MS considerably when you have a product with an msrp to stick to. Microsoft have production in Mexico that will help alleviate a lot of pressure. Maybe, Sony are struggling more.

NPDs are going to be rough for you over the coming couple Of months unless Sony magic some serious allocation.
Sony is being outbid for chips by Microsoft simple as that

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Maybe best march in Xbox history.

That would be insane.
Tell me what any of that (xbox series s wafers, also relying on foxconn, etc) has to do with this chain of replies here:

All I'm saying is that a Mexico plant or single reliance on China/Foxconn is not the reason you are seeing xbox series x stock and the stock isn't even high because Series X stock is the lowest of all the console. The stock you are seeing is made in China. I bet people who get these Series X consoles from this batch would have Made in China stamped on the side.

XSX stock/production though specifically is lower than PS5 and demand for XSX isn't that high that it sells out in minutes. Nothing to do with plants in Mexico, China, or Foxconn congestion. The majority of its sales are XSS, that's a fabrication issue not an assembly line one.
If the xbox is outselling ps5 in UK and USA in 2022 they have to be building more surely? That or its so close it will be more or less neck and neck worldwide.
Sony is being outbid for chips by Microsoft simple as that

I was thinking that, or Sony got the orders in early for 2021 and ms were forced to wait until 2022 and now Sony are suffering. Would be interesting to know for sure.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
58lkvah.png
Now sold out on Amazon 😳

Damn.

Good while it lasted. Hopefully it's not another few months wait till the next one.

kingfey

Banned
Because XSS is taking the priority now. Which takes less wafers. But to do that, you need outsource plant, which will increase the production, without any issues.
Last known report for wafers is 2x for Sony, and 1x for MS.
These plants are the one that is working, without any issues, and utilizing the advantages of small wafers for xss. Hence why alot of xboxes is available.
Do you have any proof that demand for xbox is low? Or are you going about the few days available console, before they get the sold out signs?
And what proof do you have, that says every xbox is being made in China only?
You aren't supporting your points here.

Three

If the xbox is outselling ps5 in UK and USA in 2022 they have to be building more surely? That or its so close it will be more or less neck and neck worldwide.

I was thinking that, or Sony got the orders in early for 2021 and ms were forced to wait until 2022 and now Sony are suffering. Would be interesting to know for sure.
Not building XSX specifically. The XSX stock has been lower than other consoles but the XSS makes up for lack of XSX. This isn't an assembly line issue but a fabrication one that smaller/less chips . Nothing to do with where they are assembled and XSX is assembled in china anyway.
Sony this quarter didn't manufacture as much as expected but still more than MS. They reduced their forcast for this quarter and said it will increase its forcast for the rest of the year to have the same yearly total as their previous forecast.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Stock for the X is getting better in the UK. The thirst for PS5 is still at maximum level and is still impossible to get.

Hopefully by the end of the year both consoles will be easily available.

reksveks

Sony this quarter didn't manufacture as much as expected but still more than MS.
If you are talking about the Series X, then probably yes.

They reduced their forcast for this quarter and said it will increase its forcast for the rest of the year to have the same yearly total as their previous forecast.
They didn't exactly say that. They kept the same forecast as before (not increasing of forecast)

Previous FY21 prediction : 14.8m
Current FY21 prediction: 11.5m
Current FY22 prediction: 22.6m (unchanged)

The wording was the following

uZKdfhp.png

aka they don't want to change the targets cause lowering the goal would be taking the easy way out (okay????), they think supply issues will continue into fy22, they might revise the forecast when they announce the fy21 results.

Last edited:

Three

Because XSS is taking the priority now. Which takes less wafers. But to do that, you need outsource plant, which will increase the production, without any issues.
Last known report for wafers is 2x for Sony, and 1x for MS.
These plants are the one that is working, without any issues, and utilizing the advantages of small wafers for xss. Hence why alot of xboxes is available.

Do you have any proof that demand for xbox is low? Or are you going about the few days available console, before they get the sold out signs?
And what proof do you have, that says every xbox is being made in China only?
You aren't supporting your points here.
XSS takes less wafers because it has less chips but what has this got to do with assembly lines in Mexico vs not?
I don't know what you're getting at here. I didn't say it's low I said it's low enough to not sell out in minutes. What proof do you need when it just happened and you witnessed it being available?

I didn't say every Xbox is made in china but the ones being sold now are probably built there too. Almost every one of them are. I'm willing to bet when people get them they can read the side and it says Made in China. I'm saying console shortages have nothing to do with congestion in China and this was somehow averted by using Mexico but foundry fabrication likely in Taiwan. Assembly is not the issue.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
That would be insane.

Sony certainly does seem to have really bad supply issues right now, exampls, for like 2 or 3 weeks in Spain, They had sub 100 units, nobody wants that little supply
Regardless people want xsx and xss,
I think ms has been delivering the stock for a while. And we are finally seeing the benefits of scalpers not mopping up every single spare unit

Woopah

Cherry picking what comes up for you when I already showed it's available(hence this thread)

Demand has slowed down for XSX.
So now It's a good time to buy before the games come in the Fall.

0uHlF6s.jpg

Not sure if you are baiting or not but here you are again bringing PlayStation up in a irrelevant way.
But I will feed the troll... unlike XSX you can't order or pick up a PS5 as the demand is to high.

The rest of what you are saying is opinion.
A rise in sales doesn't mean demand has slowed down, it means supply has increased.

S0ULZB0URNE

A rise in sales doesn't mean demand has slowed down, it means supply has increased.
It could mean either.

***looks at 2022 XB releases and see nothing coming till the end of the year***
The above will slow sales down, hence raising in store stock and me suggesting people buy now as later in the year this will change.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Xbox is available here in media markt for months no prolem. Just on website or locally.
ps5? nah

Woopah

The 2 day streak of continuous top seller on Amazon, selling more than Switch OLED in six months over 1 night etc shows the demand is there and it was helped by a massive drop.

Good shit. Hopefully this becomes more common.
Exactly, the NPD results will be very interesting this year!

kingfey

Banned
I don't know what you're getting at here. I didn't say it's low I said it's low enough to not sell out in minutes. What proof do you need when it just happened and you witnessed it being available?
Large shipment don't sell instantly. It takes time to clear it out.
The xss was more of how xbox is being available fast.

I didn't say every Xbox is made in china but the ones being sold now are probably built there too. Almost every one of them are. I'm willing to bet when people get them they can read the side and it says Made in China. I'm saying console shortages have nothing to do with congestion in China and this was somehow averted by using Mexico but foundry fabrication likely in Taiwan. Assembly is not the issue
"These manufacturers have facilities all around the world but most Xbox’s are currently manufactured in China. If you check your console it will likely say “Made In China” on the label."

from your article.
Currently, there is supply Chain issue in China. MS would not sit down, and wait their orders from China only. Other factors would pick up the pace, to meet up the demand.

That is what they are trying to tell you. The factories in Mexico is picking up the pace, and pushing xsx faster.

kingfey

Banned
It could mean either.

The above will slow sales down, hence raising in store stock and me suggesting people buy now as later in the year this will change.
Regardless of 1st party games, people will buy xbox. Same for Ps5. People want to play games. They won't wait for your 1st party to arrive, so they can buy your consoles.

majority of either consoles, are 3rd party gamers. They will buy the consoles for those games.

Woopah

It could mean either.

It could mean either if we were only saw availability.

But it sold in half a day what Switch OLED sold in a month. There is nothing to indicate that demand for Series X is slowing down.

S0ULZB0URNE

It could mean either if we were only saw availability.

But it sold in half a day what Switch OLED sold in a month. There is nothing to indicate that demand for Series X is slowing down.
We do see availability.
It being available could indicate it slowing down.
Last year when it had games galore I needed a extra XSX for a gift and it was so hard to get that I paid $650 for it.

Three

Large shipment don't sell instantly. It takes time to clear it out.
The xss was more of how xbox is being available fast.

"These manufacturers have facilities all around the world but most Xbox’s are currently manufactured in China. If you check your console it will likely say “Made In China” on the label."

from your article.
Currently, there is supply Chain issue in China. MS would not sit down, and wait their orders from China only. Other factors would pick up the pace, to meet up the demand.

That is what they are trying to tell you. The factories in Mexico is picking up the pace, and pushing xsx faster.
And I'm saying they're not. Ok so some people who ordered can check the side of their box and tell you you're wrong. It's the only thing that would make you think about what I'm saying vs somebody else who you don't seem to be asking evidence from.
Flexitronic and Foxconn produce both systems. They have factories all over but this drop isn't because it's made in mexico. Not sure what else you want me to tell you. Check the side of your xbox if you ordered and you will see Made in China.

Last edited:

Woopah

We do see availability.
It being available could indicate it slowing down.
Last year when it had games galore I needed a extra XSX for a gift and it was so hard to get that I paid $650 for it.
It could if sales were decreasing, but sales are increasing.

You can't say demand is slowing down if sales are going up. It doesn't make sense.

kingfey

Banned
Besides Halo, what? Forza Horizon 5?

Sony still has GT7 for MP, hell, Demons Souls remaster is MP, Returnal is now MP.

So what exactly are you talking about?
Aside of gt7, everything else is SP games with niche MP mode.
While MS is not. Sea of theives, halo, gears of war MP section.

kingfey

Banned
And I'm saying they're not. Ok so some people who ordered can check the side of their box and tell you you're wrong. It's the only thing that would make you think about what I'm saying vs somebody else who you don't seem to be asking evidence from.
Flexitronic and Foxconn produce both systems. They have factories all over but this drop isn't because it's made in mexico. Not sure what else you want me to tell you. Check the side of your xbox if you ordered and you will see Made in China.
You are still making the claim that this drop is only China.
What we are trying to tell you, is that other factories are sending their patches too. Mexico is sending as much as they can.
This helps push the work faster.

No way you can be sure, only China sends this shipment.

Woopah

Units are available now.
They weren't before... not sure what's hard to understand?
Yes, when supply goes up availability goes up.

Now if supply had stayed the same and availability increased, that would indeed demonstrate a slowing of demand.

But that's not what happened. What we are seeing now is an increase in supply and increase in sales. Therefore we cannot say demand is slowing. That's not what the information in this thread indicates.

kingfey

Banned
Yes, when supply goes up availability goes up.

Now if supply had stayed the same and availability increased, that would indeed demonstrate a slowing of demand.

But that's not what happened. What we are seeing now is an increase in supply and increase in sales. Therefore we cannot say demand is slowing. That's not what the information in this thread indicates.
If the demand was low, MS wouldn't have made that much xbox consoles.
And it wouldn't have sold out on Amazon too.

There are 50m-55m xbox users. And so far, there is 12m figure sold that we know. There are 38m-43m that still don't have xsx-xss.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last time I saw you can buy Series X on MS's Canada site direct from them.

Problem is you are forced into a bundle buying a digital game and an extra controller, so you'll end up paying $700 or more depending on what bundle stuff you buy.

Top Bottom