• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's official: Raw cookie dough is a no-no

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
The flour for that is heat treated to be safe.

Oh cool. I'll probably still indulge in raw cookie dough anyway, regardless of the risks involved. I use to eat the stuff all the time as a kid thanks to an uncle that worked for Otis Spunkmeyer. We'd have all sorts of cookie dough, muffins and cookies available pretty much all the time.

"The FDA says dozens have been sickened by the Shiga toxin-producing E. coli O121 after they ate raw flour. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 38 people were infected in 20 states with illnesses starting in December."
There-Are-Dozens-of-Us-Tobias-Funke-Arrested-Development.gif

I used to eat spoonfuls of it as a kid.

Also ate Ramen cups dry. Just take a fork, stab into it to crush it all up, and eat.

I am thoroughly disgusted with my younger self.

Shit, I ate chocolate chip cookie dough last night. Wife made cookies for some function and there was leftover batter in the fridge which I ate straight out of the bowl with a spoon. I am probably already dead. No regrets.

TylerD

I wasn't trying to be preachy fam. All I was trying to say is you can eat all the brownie batter, cake batter and cookie dough you want. Just gotta make sure to replace those Ecoli ingredients. :)

Yes you were. No you can't eat all the brownie batter, cake batter and cookie dough you want. We would all be 400+ lbs.

Lomax

I know people that work on the recipe and production of Toll House cookie dough and they've said they had to make adjustments to the product to make it safe for people to eat raw. So while you probably shouldn't do it, and you really shouldn't have been doing it years ago, it's safer now than it's ever been. At least in terms of the store bought stuff.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'll let the people who get sick from Taco Bell food worry about this.

KyleP29

They took away Pluto as a planet... then they added feathers to dinosaurs...I will not stand by and let them take this to

ChrisD

I eat my cookies raw. I'll set mine aside just to put it on my plate while everyone else has their lame, baked cookies.

It's a risk worth taking.

If my stomach can't handle salmonella or listeria then I deserve to be hospitalized. Don't even get me started on that fraud ecoli.

draetenth

It's time to start listing the things that is safe to eat, it's probably a tiny list at this point. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy licking out the brownie/muffin/cookie dough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom