• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT: I play Gone Home until my PC crashes or over heats

Let's get all of the bullshit out of the way. Here are my specs:

Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by ATI
Graphics Chipset ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
Device ID 68A0
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 1C02
Subsystem Vendor ID 1043

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express x16

BIOS Version 012.017.000.004
BIOS Part Number BR35992.001
BIOS Date 2010/01/04

Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 700 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1000 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 64.0 GByte/s

Driver Packaging Version 13.25.18-131122a-165304E-ATI
Catalyst™ Version 13.11
Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1360
2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01001
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.12614
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1217.1632.29627

Full disclosure: I don't know what the fuck that shit means except I was a dumbass that bought a gaming laptop from Best Buy about three years ago.

49a536f42b3f350af3b77c32f9a401ae.gif

All I know is that this Gone Home should be running at like 400 FPS on this laptop, but it's crashed every time I played it. My dumbass paid like $1,200 for this laptop about three years ago and was playing Witcher 2 on boss settings (that's like between medium and high settings and if you squint it's like the same thing as motion blur. It's like a secret setting for people who were dumb enough to buy a PC from Best Buy)

giphy.gif

Anyway, here's the deal. I'm putting Gone Home on all low settings and with v-sync enabled and I want to see how long I will last from my first save. The time is now 2:58 a.m. on the East Coast. I will update when my PC crashes.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Vsync successfully enabled should fix it. Cube World had similar issues when it was first released.

Foaloal

All I know is that this Gone Home should be running at like 400 FPS on this laptop, but it's crashed every time I played it.

You already explained you don't know what your specs mean, but Gone Home is extremely performance intensive and terribly optimized, especially on max settings. I don't think anybody is running it on 400fps unless maybe they have the best CPU overclocked to the max and 4 way Titan SLI. I got around 40fps on my pretty decent self made rig with an overclocked CPU and one of the best graphics cards on the market.

I never tried lowering the settings because it isn't a game I needed 60fps on due to the gameplay, hopefully that improves the performance by a noticeable degree.

DiscoJer

Sometimes games can have a design flaw where they don't limit the FPS, so it will overheat pretty much anything.

The original release of Gal Civ II did that. I was not happy with it overheating my laptop (though it never did it to my desktop)

edit: Grimrock, too. And as mentioned, VSync will fix this, since it limits the frames to the same as what your monitor can handle

Grief.exe

Games allow your gpu to still render the frames even if no set up in the world is physically capable of displaying them.

Set Vsync on, enjoy.

Never buy a gaming laptop again, particularly from Best Buy. Essentially a scam.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ohhhhhhh

I thought my computer was running pretty slow when I was playing it. I was bit high and just thought it was my brain and because you're walking around pretty slow.

I made it all the way through though, pretty good, got a little feels at the ending.

Of fuck. Of course, the minute I make this thread and tread around in the game it doesn't fucking crash. Of course. Should I just enable v-sycn always? I swear I tried to play this game three times before and it crashed every time. I did actually clean my fans on my laptop tonight, so maybe that helped? I got like half-way through on my third try the last time thinking it was all good and then bam - hard reset. But now it seems OK or maybe I'm just being optimistic. Fuck, why did I make this thread.

Of fuck. Of course, the minute I make this thread and tread around in the game it doesn't fucking crash. Of course. Should I just enable v-sycn always? I swear I tried to play this game three times before and it crashed every time. I did actually clean my fans on my laptop tonight, so maybe that helped? I got like half-way through on my third try the last time thinking it was all good and then bam - hard reset. But now it seems OK or maybe I'm just being optimistic. Fuck, why did I make this thread.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I enjoyed the OP

Soule

I didn't realize it was so poorly optimized, don't think the game was all that great anyhow. Was a neat little experience but I didn't take any great satisfaction from it, not really my kind of thing but for the price and time I played it was worth it for sure just had raised expectations from the praise it drew.

Social

What's with the hate for gaming laptops? I've owned 3 so far, started with the Dell XPS 1710 around 2006, got an MSI a few years later and now I'm rocking the Asus g75vx and they have all been great for gaming.

Running that Gone Home game on max settings with ease.

I was surprised that it was so sluggish. I know I have a shitty GPU (GeForce 650m 512MB), but since I've played quite a few somewhat pretty games I was surprised when I had to turn the settings down so low to get Gone Home to run acceptably. For some reason Vsync totally killed my framerate too, so I had to turn that off too to get reasonable performance.

Awesome game, though.

jackmurray

Neo Member
Yeah I was surprised by how performance intensive it was. Small team though, understandable, I was much more impressed and moved by the story they were telling. Guess some people just aren't impressed by a nice love story anymore.

jamsy

Never buy a gaming laptop again, particularly from Best Buy. Essentially a scam.

Eh, while I agree not to do it from Best Buy, I wouldn't say all gaming laptops are a "scam." Some of us have lifestyles where we move around a lot, and can't have a regular desktop PC.

My "gaming laptop" cost $2500, but I don't feel like I've been scammed.

What's with the hate for gaming laptops? I've owned 3 so far, started with the Dell XPS 1710 around 2006, got an MSI a few years later and now I'm rocking the Asus g75vx and they have all been great for gaming.

Running that Gone Home game on max settings with ease.

Well, you only need to read the OP to find out.

They've only ever used the kind of laptops Best Buy sells, not a proper gaming laptop from an online outlet and respectable manufacturer. The laptop manufacturers who actually have some gamers on staff like Asus, MSI, Sager and Alienware will all have products with good components and cooling design.

It's like people who hate on PC gaming after having used the office Dell running Windows XP and Intel integrated graphics.

My GTX 680M maxes Gone Home, and never exceeds a max temperature of 86C even though it has a custom vBIOS flashed to it and is overclocked by 40%. Yes, that's right, an overclocked laptop.

Proper research before purchasing a product will lead you to a satisfactory experience every time.

Top Bottom