• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to Halloween

shaneo632

It's not like anyone cares about the continuity, but this is a sequel to Halloween II anyway, isn't it?

Will be cool to see her back, especially as her death in H8 was so fucking lame.

Well he directed Devil's Rejects which was profoundly affecting and legitimately great, so he's not a total loss. But his Halloween movies were embarassing. H2 at least his it's own thing, but...Jesus. Talk about missing the entire point.

Seriously, Lords of Salem and especially 31 felt like SNL parodies of a Rob Zombie movie. I love the man's music though.
I completely agree that they miss the point of the original films... but as someone who never really cared for the original to begin with, his bastardization doesn't bother me because he replaced it with a vision that was uniquely his own. Granted, I know that's not something most people would be into, but I VASTLY prefer it to the likes of the other 80s classic horror remakes of the same era.

I haven't seen his other films, but I've been meaning to. And his music is p good, 100% agreement there!

Not that it's that difficult to get to second place when you have rivals such as

MV5BZTI0MzJhODYtNDdkOC00ZmVhLTg4YmUtOGVjODBkNGFlMjQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyNDQ2NjI@._V1_.jpg
Absolutely the worst.

Good because FUCK whatever Halloween 3 was trying to be.

3 wasn't a Michael Myers Halloween movie. John Carpenter wanted each Halloween movie to be a different horror story that took place on Halloween night. But he underestimated just how popular Michael Myers would be, and made Halloween 3 to see if his original idea for the series would work. It didn't (but I still love the movie) because people wanted more Myers, and he let the series go.

Rob Zombie felt the best way to introduce Laurie Strode as a character was to have her joking with her mom about being molester by a teacher while she finger fucks a bagel. I just can't get over that lol, he is a truly awful writer.

You just had to make me remember this shit. And it was a semi-decent film up to that point.

eOooTwv.gif

Well he directed Devil's Rejects which was profoundly affecting and legitimately great, so he's not a total loss. But his Halloween movies were embarassing. H2 at least his it's own thing, but...Jesus. Talk about missing the entire point.

Seriously, Lords of Salem and especially 31 felt like SNL parodies of a Rob Zombie movie. I love the man's music though.

Rob Zombie felt the best way to introduce Laurie Strode as a character was to have her joking with her mom about being molested by a teacher while she finger fucks a bagel. I just can't get over that lol, he is a truly awful writer.

Caode

Hey the mask was cool in H4. Pretty creepy. Only one with a crap mask IMO is H20 which is a shame.

I dunno, I enjoy Halloween 4 for the cheese-fest that it is but I always thought the mask just comes off as a continually confused face. I get a laugh every time I see it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Rob Zombie felt the best way to introduce Laurie Strode as a character was to have her joking with her mom about being molested by a teacher while she finger fucks a bagel. I just can't get over that lol, he is a truly awful writer.

31 was his worst written work by far. From lines that are literally "Pussy, pussy, pussy, pussy, etc", to the heroine fondling a old man at at old gas station for no reason... Guy is like a permanent 12 years old. He thinks that is what grittiness is. That this is dark and heavy. But it's childish bullshit.

But at least that's his own world. His juvenile style of "harsh and dark" really sank what could have been two OKish modern slashers.

Halloween 5 be like "Hold my beer..."

latest

But it's great and unique?

Still no proper Halloween 2 sequel. The world continues to fail me.

Halloween 4 was great, and this IS a sequel to H2?

Skeeter49

My biggest worry is that we've already been hear twice with a sequel to 2, but I've liked both sequels to 2, and 2 is really good.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Also I'd throw my hat in for Halloween 6 Producer's Cut. No directing bullshit (no quick cuts or flashing lights), and simple OST (no fucking guitar Halloween theme) and while it's absolutely terrible and ridiculous, at least it's got it's heart in the right place.

Please be a true sequel to Halloween 4, put Jamie Lloyd behind the mask.

jaimie.gif

Halloween 4 has some of the funniest moments I've seen in a horror film.
Dude stabbed someone with a shotgun and the way he got hit by the car at the end was too funny

JABEE

Also I'd throw my hat in for Halloween 6 Producer's Cut. No directing bullshit (no quick cuts or flashing lights), and simple OST (no fucking guitar Halloween theme) and while it's absolutely terrible and ridiculous, at least it's got it's heart in the right place.

And it has Paul Rudd.

JABEE

He died in the explosion. Done.

He's an important part of all the films that were loved and integral to the structure of a traditional Halloween movie.

I'm wondering if they will just replace him, but aren't H20 and Resurrection the only ones considered not canon.

Loomis is in Halloween 4, 5, and 6.

Skeeter49

I never got into Halloween, is Micheal Myers just a crazy guy or a supernatural being?
Both to be honest.

In 1, 2, H20, Resurrection, and most of 4 he's played up as a crazy person, well crazy might not be the best word, but in a sense yet. We can get into the argument of him surviving all these attacks is Supernatural, but in the story of the show, he's not. Remake follows this as well.

5, 6, and 2009 Halloween 2 all play up the Supernatural angle, retconning a lot and ruining the character.

OrionX

QUEEN.

I was so pissed when they killed her off in that one movie. And in those other movies about her daughter that also got retconned lol. Laurie Strode is just as iconic as Michael Myers, and there's only one Laurie.

Skeeter49

I've only seen the original first two.. are the rest worth watching?
My opinion.
3 is mixed, personally I don't like it, but for most it depends on if you wanted more MM or not.

4. I do think this is a really good movie, the best outside of 1 and 2. It has issues, the ending is a mess and has a lot of plot holes, but it's a good time.

5. I think it's a fine watch, but a bad movie. Like it or not though, it compliments 4 fine enough.

6. Some history, there are 2 versions of this, both significantly different. The producer cut, and the theatrical cut. Both bad movies, one better than the other. It's an embarrassing way to end what 4 started either way, and shits on things from 1 and 2.

H20. H20 is good, I'd put it near 4. It's a return to what was needed from Halloween, and it's greatest strength and weakness, it didn't feel like a Halloween movie. Note this is a direct sequel to 2, like 4 is.

Resurrection. Only watch the first 10 minutes, and you'll realize why this movie is a mistake. I do think it's more watchable than 6, but it's still bad.

H Remake. This gets very tricky for me. I don't like it, but I understand it and can accept it. I think it's a fine watch, and it's neat to compare the different takes if Michael.

H2. It's the worst one and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. If Remake didn't shit on a character from the original, H2 made sure it did.

Cranster

Banned
Hey the mask was cool in H4. Pretty creepy. Only one with a crap mask IMO is H20 which is a shame.
H20 used 4 masks. It used the Halloween 6 mask. A cheap Halloween 4 knockoff. The one that was used through most of the film via reshoots and a CGI mask for when Charlie bumps into him after getting the corkscrew from the garvage disposal.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
H20 used 4 masks. It used the Halloween 6 mask. A cheap Halloween 4 knockoff. The one that was used through most of the film and a CGI mask for when Charlie bumps into him after getting the corkscrew from the garvage disposal.

I still can't believe they had to switch after the opening. The H6 mask was perfect. Why?

Snaku

Banned
I really can't even think about H2O without picturing this shot in my mind. Christ, I hate everything about it.

tumblr_o96gasmArk1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

keep

I really can't even think about H2O without picturing this shot in my mind. Christ, I hate everything about it.

tumblr_o96gasmArk1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Ok that is well silly but H20 has the BEST performance of Jamie Lee Curtis in the series as a washed up alcoholic that can't escape her past. She sells that film hands down.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ok that is well silly but H20 has the BEST performance of Jamie Lee Curtis in the series as a washed up alcoholic that can't escape her past. She sells that film hands down.

i agree and am kind of sad it is no longer canon

1-2-H20 was always my trilogy

They've killed my hype. I was hoping this movie wouldn't go the Myers/family member route. We've seen that movie numerous times. I wanted them to go back to Myers stalking being random and more of a person being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But no, we've got to do Halloween H40. I mean, I love JLC and all, but why?!?!?

Edit: she can still work those Halloween 1 clothes can't she?

Skeeter49

I mean, when they try to walk away from the family plot line, Resurrection is what we get.

The family plot line is fine as long as they don't back it up with supernatural garbage, or retcons out the ass.

Top Bottom