• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to Halloween

Honestly I'd be fine with the whole dream scenario they had in H20 (I think?), Michael busting out of the body bag in the ambulance post Hospital explosion, but good luck getting that past Halloween fans. I'm actually super intrigued to see how they work this out! I feel like JLC wouldn't just sign on for one because she's bored...

Boke1879

Honestly I'd be fine with the whole dream scenario they had in H20 (I think?), Michael busting out of the body bag in the ambulance post Hospital explosion, but good luck getting that past Halloween fans. I'm actually super intrigued to see how they work this out! I feel like JLC wouldn't just sign on for one because she's bored...

Well they say for this movie only 1 and 2 are canon

sleepnaught

I guess I must have been the only one who enjoyed 4-6, even if the mask in 4 is laughably bad. My favorite mask is probably 6, followed by 5.

Skeeter49

Good point.

Yep, as she specifically wanted to be killed off in Resurrection so she'd never have to be in the series again.

And when they did 4, I think she said she'd only be involved if John Carpenter was involved, but I might be wrong.

Eh thought H20 was crap. Worst looking and moving Myers of the bunch, some ok action at end but eh. Had zero suspense or anything remotely creepy or scary.

So basically it's kinda remaking H20 and making H20 and Ressurection non canon (not a massive loss for Ressurection) I liked H20, it was a half decent follow up to H2 and better than some of the other sequels, so I'm not 100% sure I like it being erased from canon, they better do a damn good job with this movie to make up for that.

I've always liked this idea of a new direct sequel to H2 but I expected new characters, this news is totally unexpected. Hopefully they can bring Halloween back to greatness after Ressurection and the bad remakes, because they sucked big time.

Snaku

Banned
Eh thought H20 was crap. Worst looking and moving Myers of the bunch, some ok action at end but eh. Had zero suspense or anything remotely creepy or scary.

Yeah, the dude playing Michael looked and moved like a third rate cosplayer. Didn't look imposing at all, his jumpsuit looked two sizes too big, and he just looked schlubby.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
She is partnered with Myers and it is now a buddy killer horror comedy. Deal with it!

Nah its a feel good family movie where Laurie finally is able to reach Michael and convince him to change his ways and become a good person.

I'm also gonna need Paul Rudd to come back as Tommy Doyle. I don't care if it's a cameo, or as a supporting character. Now that Halloween 6 will be retconned, he can actually play the role in a decent Halloween film.

If you're going to bring back Curtis as Strode, just straight up do The Exorcist TV show: her dealing with the aftermath of the first movie and people not buying this boogeyman as having existed at all. H20 didn't really do this, despite a good photo-wall to introduce the movie on.

The problem with all of the sequels is that they all hot dump Myers on you from the first shot, when he's actually not what a Halloween story should focus on, considering he's just the antagonist, not the story. In the first movie you don't even see him / the shape until like 45 minutes into the movie.
It's been two years since I saw them all, but the only really good Halloween is the first one, with H20 a decent enough remake. Season Of The Witch is its own (awesome) thing.

It's not quite the same without Donald Pleasance as Loomis though. McDowell made a decent replacement in the Zombie remakes, but there's a level of crazy obsession that Pleasance owned as the character that's hard to reproduce.
(also the way it's longtime producer, Moustafa Akkad, died in a bombing attack in 2005 is a rather sour note to the series)

I wonder how they will do this. Will they just ignore the movie she supposedly died in?

At least that means Resurrection is retconned, but like TCM, Halloween is one of those horror movies series that branches off into different "timelines"/event routes.

If we want Carpenter's original idea, it would've been just Halloween and Halloween 2, and Michael DIED during Halloween 2 (which would've made way for the failed "Anthology Canon")

If we want the Jamie Lloyd Canon, it would be H1, H2, H4, H5 and H6.

If we want that Laurie Strode Canon, it would be H1, H2, H20 and Resurrection.

Then there's the RZ canon, RZ's Halloween and RZ's H2.

Looks like this new one is going to be another soft reboot that takes some of the past installments (likely the first two) as in-canon while going yet another route.

I thought she was dead, but she's in next year's movie!

https://twitter.com/blumhouse/status/908760094657019904

DJyQebaVoAAmFN8.jpg

YES!! This is great and as a rule Jamie Lee Curtis is a goddess.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I have a soft spot for 6 and ridiculous horror movie continuities in general, but I'm so excited to see Jamie Lee Curtis in a Halloween movie again.

Cheerilee

I never got into Halloween, is Micheal Myers just a crazy guy or a supernatural being?

Halloween 1: As a boy, Michael Myers kills his older sister/babysitter. Gets locked up in an institution for years, randomly breaks out, and goes home. Babysitter Laurie transgresses on his property (she was asked by the realtor to leave a key under his mat), so he begins stalking her, and kills several babysitters in her orbit. Dr Loomis was Michael's appointed doctor, and he says that he used to be a proper logical doctor, atheist and not believing in good and evil, until he was assigned Michael. He believes in evil now. He believes Michael is not human, he's literally an inhuman monster. Michael eventually takes enough damage to make the idea that he's human seem virtually impossible (but... maybe?).

Halloween 2: Yeah, he's plainly supernatural now. And Laurie has been retconned to be his long-lost biological sister. He has a supernatural drive to kill his family.

Halloween 3: Non-canon. The remnants of Carpenter's failed plan to turn Halloween into an amazing horror-themed anthology.

Halloween 4-6: Laurie is out. Died offscreen. But she left a daughter for Michael to chase. The supernatural element is explored more deeply, and is 100% supernatural. Low point in the franchise.

H20: Laurie is back. Halloween 4-6 have either been retconned, or Laurie faked her death with severely disturbing implications towards her daughter. Laurie wins.

Halloween Resurrection: Nuh uh, Laurie didn't win, Michael won. Fuck Laurie (and Jamie Lee's two-movie contract), Michael kills her in the first ten seconds. Death of the franchise.

Auraela

Banned
best things about robs halloween is tyler mane as myers and the fact danielle harris is in the movies after being in 4 as a little girl,

wonder if this one will mention loomis died in the explosion at hospital

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just make it a series of movies where Jamie Lee's Laurie takes out cinematic slasher or monster one after the other. Boom you're new cinematic universe. Eventually she can team up with Ash to destroy the Necronomicon.

Seems like she's come a bit more around to the franchise and with Carpenter's involvement, I'm sure she was able to be lured back. I do wonder how they'll address her character, since it's been so long, and their ignoring prior films outside of 1 & 2.

Oh please let this be my "make a sequel that ignores all the other sequels even halloween 2" idea.

Do it!

Sorry to disappointment. It's not happening.

This news had me giddy, man. A new Halloween written by Danny McBride, produced by John Carpenter, serving as a direct sequel to Halloween 2 and starring JLC is a fucking dream as a Halloween fan.
She's still kinda hot imo.
Nah, nothing ruins that vibe like watching her give her spiel about that stool softening yogurt. I'm not into mud sports.

This news had me giddy, man. A new Halloween written by Danny McBride, produced by John Carpenter, serving as a direct sequel to Halloween 2 and starring JLC is a fucking dream as a Halloween fan.

This is about as good as it gets with the hopes of returning to the classic form of the 1st Halloween and not so great but still decent sequel

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
Jamie Lee Curtis is an absolutely delightful person. I worked with her for both seasons of Scream Queens and she is a complete joy to be around. She directed an episode last season and knocked it out of the park. The night her episode aired she texted me a thank you message and I'll always look back on that as one of the highlights of my career. I'm thrilled to see her back in the Halloween franchise again. Hopefully it erases the awfulness of Resurrection.

How is Jamie Lee Curtis still so good looking damn.

I also have a thing for short hair so...

This kinda excites me, I mean even if the movie is shit it is kinda amazing they brung back Curtis to play Laurie again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I enjoy seeing Jamie Lee in things, so I'm cool with this. I don't think anyone will weep for the sacred canon of the Halloween films lol

Jamie Lee Curtis is an absolutely delightful person. I worked with her for both seasons of Scream Queens and she is a complete joy to be around. She directed an episode last season and knocked it out of the park. The night her episode aired she texted me a thank you message and I'll always look back on that as one of the highlights of my career. I'm thrilled to see her back in the Halloween franchise again. Hopefully it erases the awfulness of Resurrection.

She does seem like a cool lady. There's this interview on the Shout Factory Blu-ray of The Fog where she's saying she doesn't really like the movie, but not in a "I am above this" way, rather a charming "I realize you all paid me to be here but I can't just lie" way.

Top Bottom