• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grub: Sony acquiring Square Enix was the big rumor about the next potential Sony acquisition

This guy is honestly the worst. Waiting until it's the most obvious thing in the world to speak up. They are selling some of their less valuable assets in a typical move for either a restructure or an outright sale.
He's really good at calling the obvious shots after everyone else sees them while leaving a nice big window to escape in case it's wrong.

reksveks

Square Enix market valuation has dropped from 7.4B in September of last year down to 5.6B in February and 4.8B just yesterday.
Pretty much every Japanese company market cap has dropped in that period partially due to the weakening jpy.

7T6kRJa.jpg

ALGxcuR.jpg

ToadMan

Well the embracer deal could be the result of a full acquisition with Sony not working out, so SE shed some stuff they don’t like to be more agile again.

Perhaps the Sony full acquisition is already off the cards and what we’re seeing is SE trying to take a different path.

ElCasual

If true give me back"Revenge of Musashi" in the PS1 BC and make a new one with the hand draw graphics. F*CK THE RAY TRACING!!

Kagey K

Banned
Square seems like a shitty modern publisher, who did well in the old days.

They seem to have no clue anymore, from signing long term publishing deals that hurt them, to setting ridiculous sales targets.

It really seems like they no longer get it, or they didn’t get it before and got lucky.

in either case I don’t think I would trust them with any amount of my money.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony buying square would be a huge waste of money. Square don't know what the fuck they are doing and they are openly stating they want to focus on the block chain? They are clueless.

You're basically buying final fantasy xiv that never came to xbox anyway. Ff xvi doesn't look that good imo but I did enjoy ff7 remake.

begotten

What's the difference between saying Sony is acquiring SE before or after Embracer Group brought the dead-weight off SE? This news shouldn't suddenly make speaking on it legal now. This is an entirely separate business move.

Starting to think what Jeff Grub heard (in his imagination) is different to what Greg Miller heard.

Last edited:

cireza

Sony are better off paying to prevent Xbox players from having a couple games once in a while, rather than buying Square Enix which looks like an unmanageable company with its tons of teams outputting many low quality games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I’d rather Sony go for Capcom than SE if they are actually going for one. SE’s a waste of money.
im fine with Sony going for SE, but going for Capcom would be even better ngl, but then Capcom may be too ahrd since their profit is growing every year.

gow3isben

I think this acquisition is already done or almost finished.

- Square quickly and cheaply just shedded some of the fat
- Into cloud shit like sony has been saying
- Stocks have been falling
- Sony really hinting at some major acquisition
- Needing a stronger foothold in Japan
- Have good partnership with square
- Hired an acquisitions manager likely for help incorporating a large publisher
- Not one but multiple people hearing talks of this

Not sure why people are denying it or is it just the rat infestation we have here?

Hopefully official announcement in the next couple of months.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I think this acquisition is already done or almost finished.

- Square quickly and cheaply just shedded some of the fat
- Into cloud shit like sony has been saying
- Stocks have been falling
- Sony really hinting at some major acquisition
- Needing a stronger foothold in Japan
- Have good partnership with square
- Hired an acquisitions manager likely for help incorporating a large publisher
- Not one but multiple people hearing talks of this

Not sure why people are denying it or is it just the rat infestation we have here?

Hopefully official announcement in the next couple of months.
As the president of Playstation acquisitions I would like to inform everyone we are in talks to get the studio behind Nioh and get some shares on Koei Tecmo. It's Japanese and it is much cheaper than From Software also nobody expects that therefore everyone will be surprised.

PS. we re hiring for a new assistant, the previous one did not know to make coffee or how to party.
Happy Wall Street GIF by HRVY

SJRB

Gold Member
This fucking guy is clueless.

Even the Eidos/Crystal Dynamics deal was done before anyone on the outside knew about it and that was a spec compared to Acti/Blizzard or a hypothetical Square Enix. It was a secret just like every other acquisition. Why? Because this is a serious business about serious money with serious repercussions when someone leaks industry information, let alone for some pathetic online clout and three minutes of fame from a handful of GaMeRs.

Please stop giving these morons attention.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
"We never really hear enough to report on acquisitions with any certainty. Sony acquiring Square was the big rumor."

Then stop reporting on it. This was the big rumor that caused a fuss recently, he didn't mention S-E then, but mentions them now? Stop giving this moronic a platform.

"We never really hear enough to report on acquisitions with any certainty. Sony acquiring Square was the big rumor."

Then stop reporting on it. This was the big rumor that caused a fuss recently, he didn't mention S-E then, but mentions them now? Stop giving this moronic a platform.
He wasn't the one who spread the rumor. GAFs hate boner for this man is something else, five different fake insiders peddled these rumors, but GAF picks out the one guy who actually didn't do so :messenger_beaming: I'll just pretend I don't know the reason why that is.

near

Gold Member
He wasn't the one who spread the rumor. GAFs hate boner for this man is something else, five different fake insiders peddled these rumors, but GAF picks out the one guy who actually didn't do so :messenger_beaming: I'll just pretend I don't know the reason why that is.

Kinda Funny started it, he definitely incited it.

The reason why people can't stand Jeff Grubb is because he is always full of it, but acts like he actually knows stuff. It's like how some people take Michael Pachter seriously, even though he's wrong 110% of the time. We're just all sick of these "insiders" who make shit up constantly for their own narcissistic needs.

reksveks

Do you believe that tweeting is the same as reporting?

He doesn't.

Last edited:
The reason why people can't stand Jeff Grubb is because he is always full of it, but acts like he actually knows stuff. It's like how some people take Michael Pachter seriously, even though he's wrong 110% of the time. We're just all sick of these "insiders" who make shit up constantly for their own narcissistic needs.
He literally said he doesn't know. People just choose not to read what he says.

reksveks

Besides the point, considering how tweets are used to convey information and pending events.
It's not beside the point. It's very much the point.

Clearly Twitter is used by journalists to post personal stuff and stuff that they don't have enough information to write an article on. That's the fundamental issue people have an issue with.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Grubb knows nothing when it comes to Sony, but Sony getting Square Enix makes full sense for their original (story-driven games) new (GaaS) and missing (JRPG) approach.

He literally said he doesn't know. People just choose not to read what he says.
He says he doesn't know after getting people whipped into a frenzy. It's cheap publicity for himself, and he leaves a backdoor open to wiggle out. Same as ALL the "insiders" in this industry. People trying to act like they know more than everyone else, even though they're just making guesses. Not sure why people bother defending these clowns

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Grubb knows nothing when it comes to Sony, but Sony getting Square Enix makes full sense for their original (story-driven games) new (GaaS) and missing (JRPG) approach.
Fatt Slobb made three acquisition leaks for MS right before E3. Considering MS didn't even start looking at Activision until late last year, these purchases would have been wrapped up ages ago. He still claims that Kojima will have a MS exclusive game based on a statue on Phil's shelf. Phil also has a Switch. It was a subtle I play all the games nod. The statue for a Sony IP is easier (more natural) than putting a PS4/PS5 on the shelf.

Slobb trying to stay relevant.
Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Final Fantasy going Sony exclusive would be perfect for me. A game I have no interest in going exclusive to systems I don't currently own.

The best kind kind of acquisition.

near

Gold Member
And the point is?

Grubb uses twitter to post more casual commentary than his articles?

He is also a wind up merchant who baits the fanboys imo.

He constantly uses twitter to make vague statements that imply he knows things that are in the works, peddling potentially huge announcements and then backtracks with 'I'm not certain'. He incites fans with bullshit rumors he knows absolutely nothing about far too often. Which is the point I'm making, stop giving this man a platform.

reksveks

He constantly uses twitter to make vague statements that imply he knows things that are in the works, peddling potentially huge announcements and then backtracks with 'I'm not certain'. He incites fans with bullshit rumors he knows absolutely nothing about far too often. Which is the point I'm making, stop giving this man a platform.

That's an okay and understandable position and set of assumptions aka that he knows nothing.

Then stop reporting on it.

But this is a very different definition of 'reporting'

Godot25

Banned
Go for it.

Not that Square games without CD and Eidos can be associated with Xbox platform so I think overwhelming majority of Xbox players would not even noticed that.

Square rn is joke outside of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

near

Gold Member
But this is a very different definition of 'reporting'

Not sure why you're so caught up on that word. Here's a google definition:

a piece of information that is unsupported by firm evidence.
"reports were circulating that the chairman was about to resign"

I think this guy, and all his fellows « leaking » big acquisitions on Twitter, should be ban. Same for any content based on their so called « insiders informations ».

For the next acquisition, see you on Twitter, because yeaaaaa that’s the place to leack acquisition, for shure! 😂🤡🤦‍♂️

Calverz

Yes! After spending £70 on final fantasy 7 remake I’d be delighted if Sony acquired square enix. They are welcome to them!

reksveks

Reports aren't exclusive to articles, television or newspapers.
I know but I was just pointing the fact that definitions aren't a fixed thing which basically goes back to the start. Don't treat tweets as reports unless you believe the person is (in this case, Grubb doesn't)

Doesn't make the baiting useful though.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Considering how cheaply the western side of SE went for, Sony's SE bid is now a cup of lukewarm coffee and may raise it to include milk and sugar if the initial bid is rejected.

I hope not, it would be a waste. The Square that we have now, isn't the same square we had almost 3 decades ago, who took risks. This SE is greedy and completely out of touch with what their fans want. NFT's & play to earn my ass, those things never sat well with gamers in my opinion & there are far better devs for sony to snatch. If it came as a package deal with Deus Ex, Tomb Raider & Thief, which they sold alongside CD, Eidos & SE Montreal (I smell a name change for that one), it would've been a far better deal. But the SE with the current Ips they've been left with, is just SE with Final Fantasy & new ips which copy paste the exact same template because they seem to have run out of ideas and creativity.

Top Bottom