• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grub: Sony acquiring Square Enix was the big rumor about the next potential Sony acquisition

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
One of the reasons Sony delayed their earnings call until 10th of May? So they can announce the purchase of block chain SE. Sony are purchasing SE as an NFT.

Square is such a shit buy imo and nothing will change my opinion on that. Tbh Sony may as well just have them as it means they won't need to pay all that cash to keep games off Xbox and PC for timed exclusive.

And nothing was really lost.

Last edited:
One of the reasons Sony delayed their earnings call until 10th of May? So they can announce the purchase of block chain SE. Sony are purchasing SE as an NFT.

Square is such a shit buy imo and nothing will change my opinion on that. Tbh Sony may as well just have them as it means they won't need to pay all that cash to keep games off Xbox and PC for timed exclusive.

And nothing was really lost.
Yeah. If Sony is serious about Japan, they should buy Capcom.

SkylineRKR

Sony already gets Square's games, console exclusive even like FFVII R. I don't know what Square is going to add. Without Eidos (TR, Marvel etc), Square hasn't much to offer for Xbox anyway so I doubt they'll go anywhere else.

Capcom would be a far better get, but likely a lot more expensive too.

Markio128

It would explain why we have had no update on the Xbox version of FF7 remake. This one looks likely to me, regardless of anything the Grubbmeister has to say.

FingerBang

This guy needs to shut up so badly or I'm going to find out where he lives, rent out a giant megaphone and just go on 24/7 yelling him to shut up until he shuts up.

CosmicComet

What makes you think that?
Because of what I just said about Tango Gamesworks?

Not to mention Phil Spencer is a bit of a weeb himself. Phantasy Star Online 2 only came westward and got a massive revamp almost a decade later specifically because of him.

Phil would definitely be hands off and respectful towards a Japanese studio because he's an actual fan of that type of output.

Whereas Hermen Hulst and Jim Ryan are way too western minded.

Want Sony to buy Konami Ips... bring back metal gear and silent hill you ignorant shits!
rbdvgeadc13su16z8uor.jpg

Not to mention Phil Spencer is a bit of a weeb himself. Phantasy Star Online 2 only came westward and got a massive revamp almost a decade later specifically because of him.

Phil would definitely be hands off and respectful towards a Japanese studio because he's an actual fan of that type of output.

The Office Reaction GIF

demonstr8

Go peddle your unfalsifiable headcanon elsewhere bro, it’s pathetic.

oldergamer

I could see this happening but i dont like the idea. I enjoy dragon quest on the switch. In fact, i think this would be a bad idea if it meant games not releasing on switch in Japan. Mobile gaming there is bigger then home console gaming.

CosmicComet

Go peddle your unfalsifiable headcanon elsewhere bro, it’s pathetic.

'Headcanon'? 'Peddle'?

All I said is I'd rather Nintendo or even MS get Square than Sony.
(None of those three scenarios are happening of course).

I'm not peddling anything, just responding to someone asking me a question in good faith on the MS part of that statement.

So yeah, maybe you can stop being a sensitive little bitch and actually follow the chain of discussion? Thanks.

Spyxos

They sold everything interesting for me. I'm not really interested in Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest.

Boss Mog

Sony acquiring SE before they got rid of Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman and the talented studios behind those franchises would've made a lot of sense, but now I don't see any need to do so. It would actually make more sense for Nintendo to buy them at this point.

In fact I don't understand why Sony didn't purchase those IPs and studios that Embracer picked up. $300M is chump change to Sony and Tomb Raider and Deus Ex becoming first party franchises would've been seen as a huge coup.

Last edited:

reksveks

Sony acquiring SE before they got rid of Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman and the talented studios behind those franchises would've made a lot of sense, but now I don't see any need to do so. It would actually make more sense for Nintendo to buy them at this point.
It's definitely not the division of SE I would have sold.

SE has other ones that are actually making a loss.

Vaelka

I dunno why people jerk off to this as if they're personally invested in it financially.
Do people want a handful of companies to just literally own everything?

Hezekiah

Banned
This fucking guy is clueless.

Even the Eidos/Crystal Dynamics deal was done before anyone on the outside knew about it and that was a spec compared to Acti/Blizzard or a hypothetical Square Enix. It was a secret just like every other acquisition. Why? Because this is a serious business about serious money with serious repercussions when someone leaks industry information, let alone for some pathetic online clout and three minutes of fame from a handful of GaMeRs.

Please stop giving these morons attention.
Any stories by him should be tagged as clickbait.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Would suck especially if that took Team Asano away from the switch but who knows! I bought my PS5 specifically for Final Fantasy XVI

Azurro

Banned

In fact I don't understand why Sony didn't purchase those IPs and studios that Embracer picked up. $300M is chump change to Sony and Tomb Raider and Deus Ex becoming first party franchises would've been seen as a huge coup.

There must be a reason why Crystal Dynamics had such little value. It must be expensive to keep that ship running, they are in California after all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hold on........you aren't supposed to say this. 🤔
I mean, it has, but that is only due to how ravenous and polarizing gamers are on social media. Nothing grounded in actual reality or anyone "in the know."

Remember when we all heard it was MS that was going to buy them, to get Crystal Dynamics and have their Tomb Raider to battle Uncharted... especially more so after the CD saving of Perfect Dark? To get into Japan and one up Sony to boot?

Now once the Western assets/IPs sold off (THAT NOBODY SAW COMING), the rumor gets twisted and mangled into Sony, so they can el oh el that only a shell of their IPs (while being the OG Japanese core) remain for them.

Nobody knows shit about acquisitions and only goes by what they guess will be an "obvious fit".

It's all clown games, really.
clown GIF

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The problem with Grubb is he races to Tweet every single thing he hears without attempting to confirm anything hoping to be the first to say it.

He then loves throwing out the Tweets for just pure attention and throw his hands up saying its on you for believing it as he meant it to be a joke.

Much like this story here, yeah a lot of buzz about this last couple of days but most people aren't going to know shit about acquisitions take Activision as a great example.

So yeah as a "source" he should be banned

yurinka

I think Square being acquired by Sony would make sense. Either the Japanese branch, the western branch and both.

Sony would get very talented teams, big IPs for new AAA games, many old classics for PS+ catalog and some IPs with potential to be used in movies, tv shows or anime. They wouldn't rely on 3rd partys to cover the RPG genre and would give them many Japanese teams.

They could do with Square the same movement they did with Bungie: to don't integrate it under PS Studios but to place it under SIE, where it would continue publishing using the Square label full multiplatform, with some (or maybe even all) games becoming PS timed exclusive, securing for all their games game subs exclusivity for PS+, demos/betas exclusivity, marketing exclusivity and game + console bundle exclusivity. And blocking any exclusivity with MS or Nintendo.

I think Square could have also very benefited of joining Sony: extra push on budgets and marketing, great studio/project management, access to tons of knowledge, technology and data that may interest them (example: GaaS and cloud), help for making movies and so on etc.

I may understand Squared wanted to get rid of their western branch if wasn't profitable for them to become more profitable, but why didn't Sony buy them? With Sony's their help these studios would have improved a lot and their IPs are a clear fit for Sony. There's a lot of potential there. Is it because maybe Square is preparing itself to be sold to Sony, Sony is more interested on the Japanse branch and the Square execs don't want to have their former western devs close?

I mean... final fantasy vii remake is still exclusive, ffxvi will be exclusive (supposedly timed), Forspoken will be exclusive.

The only thing this acquisition would change is the word "timed" at this point.

It does make sense though. Sony has a lot of the same businesses Square Enix has, including manga so...
It would be smarter to them to block any future exclusive for Nintendo and MS, keep big games as timed (maybe 2 years long) exclusives and give Sony exlusivity for game subs, marketing, beta/demos and game+console bundles.

After a long timed exclusive they could make money from Xbox and Nintendo (or day one multiplatform for smaller games), there's a lot of money on the table to be made there. Getting marketing exclusive rights, exclusivity for game subs and long timed exclusivity for the key games would be more than enough.

Last edited:
Doubtful.
If Sony wanted to buy Square Enix they'd want the Eidos part too.
Not only for Tomb Raider and other IP's
But I assume the Marvel license goes with the studio's?
Unless they was a game deal.
But still why wouldn't Sony want Final Fantasy & Tomb Raider which are Two of the biggest OG Playstation IP's under their umbrella.
Why would Sony want the IP of a worse version of their own IP? That sounds like a waste of money to me. Supposedly there is some debt involved, so you take on their debt if you acquire them.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Mind you the purchase of Square Enix would be a good boost to their PSX catalogue on PS+
Under Sony you can guarantee the likes of Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story hitting the service in a decent state.

Kokoloko85

I’d rather Sony go for Capcom than SE if they are actually going for one. SE’s a waste of money.

I wouldnt call them a waste of money but yeah Capcom are way better at this point, especially now without Tomb Raider, Soul Reaver, Dues Ex and Hitman etc Even Sega has more to offer than Square.

I have a feeling Sony is just cheap and will only buy one publisher. Even then it seems like they really forcing themselves to do it

This acquisition is basically there future. Now days having certain IP’s kinda guarentee’s your place and survival in video games industry. MS has done the right thing. Sony needs to do the same thing to some extent

Skifi28

Does he ever shup up? Grubb should be banned as a source for anything or at least have an official Grubb thread so everybody can pee from their buttholes together there or whatever it is his fans do.

nocsi

Why didn’t Sony do this she. They had their original stake during the spirits within? Sonys investment style is very questionable, only buy up companies once they become behemoths and not take risks on them beforehand

Y'all remember this response from SE in regards to acquisition talk last year?

Bloomberg has reported today that there is interest from several buyers to acquire Square Enix. However, this report is not based on any announcement by SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD. We do not consider selling off the company or any part of its businesses, nor have we received any offer from any third party to acquire the company or any part of its businesses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...crosoft-and-sony-be-circling/?sh=5550941074fe

That was a little over a year ago and now Embracer has purchased their western division.......

Emoji Think GIF

Kinda interesting that this rumor only seems to come up with “insiders” that are more focused on Xbox. It feels completely manufactured as a counter to the Bethesda acquisition, “Duuur Sony is gonna buy Final Fantasy since they are losing Elder Scrolls 6!!!”

Last edited:
I went to the Square Enix Cafe and their headquarters once and I want Sony to buy them just to see if they can make a proper coffee or thematic food that tastes of something edible. Fuck, that shit was horrid!

Top Bottom