• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox has no plans to quit the console market

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Posted from another thread but this is how I see the next gen Xbox

Next gen for Xbox will be a hand held in the same vein as the series s with hdmi out and connection for an external gpu when docked to your tv

The series x equivalent will be around the same price the series x was launched at, maybe even a little more expensive, all accessories will be compatible (memory cards etc). Again with a connection for external gpu.

Optional purchase to buy a Windows key (like developer mode) which means an version of Windows can be installed so can be used as a normal pc. Giving you access to steam and PlayStation ports.

Perhaps the license to oem to manufacture there own Xbox branded machines.
I don't know, but someone did make a good point and maybe the next Xbox isn't aiming for the power crown. And some ppl are.....pissed....

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This will be the first time we’ve only had two console makers, so the ripple effects will be interesting to watch.

I don’t see anyone filling their void, as no company would be foolish enough to waste money trying to get into the console business.

orhETnc.jpg

Papa_Wisdom

I don't know, but someone did make a good point and maybe the next Xbox isn't aiming for the power crown. And some ppl are.....pissed....
I think they will create there own line of Home consoles as a baseline but also license them out to 3rd parties to create there own version (higher spec).

If they add the relevant connections for external GPUs etc

If they manage to create a “portable s” as it were but have the option to upgrade the graphics while in tv mode I think that might do well, as the only real difference between the x and s is gpu, and ram.

coffinbirth

Just put a competent version of Windows as a boot option and watch your consoles sell like crazy. Would probably dominate in countries where gaming rigs are unobtanium. Been saying this for over TEN YEARS now. You could run Steam and play God of War, Spider-Man, Tarkov...emulate Atari 2600-Nintendo Switch and have full access to your Xbox library.

Metnut

Third party consoles seems like a nightmare to implement. Who is going to quality check all of this? It would cost Microsoft a lot of money and time to make sure any licensed XBox console is reliable.

The alternative is a potential RROD scenario all over again.

Stuart360

50mil rumours the past few days, all believed and even treated as 'fact'. This one that certain people dont want to hear, 'its bullshit', Sure Jan lolz'.

Gotta love it.

Reactions: m14

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
50mil rumours the past few days, all believed and even treated as 'fact'. This one that certain people dont want to hear, 'its bullshit', Sure Jan lolz'.

Gotta love it.
You really think there's nothing happening here? Phil Spencer puts out a "we hear you" statement and denies nothing. What else are people supposed to think?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's not hard to understand. Future is single xbox app on multiple devices. But you need a reason to use that app so they put high profile games everywhere until then.

Stuart360

You really think there's nothing happening here? Phil Spencer puts out a "we hear you" statement and denies nothing. What else are people supposed to think?
Yeah there is something happening, imo certain games being ported to other systems, probably MP or live srvice style games (at least for now).

I'm talking about all the 'they are leaving thre console business' rumours that we had a ton of past few days, all believed. Not this one though.

Reactions: m14

bender

What time is it?
I think they'll have a hardware offering but with the the declines they've experienced in their strongest territories, lack of gaining a foothold in other territories, and the success of the Series S relative to the Series x, it will probably end up being something different than what their hardware fans expect.

Raven117

I think they'll have a hardware offering but with the the declines they've experienced in their strongest territories, lack of gaining a foothold in other territories, and the success of the Series S relative to the Series x, it will probably end up being something different than what their hardware fans expect.
That’s my guess if they stay in. Something that can stream games but nothing premium.

Js562

Good they shouldn't. My backlog on the Xbox is way too big compared to all the other consoles I got.

MikeM

They still sold 30+ million Xbox Series consoles over the past 3 years, obviously people want it. They probably have a lot of user data that demonstrates that a large percentage of their customers don't care about exclusivity.
No they don’t. The only data they seem to care about is GP sub growth.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I like how people are bullying someone on this forum because they cover Xbox, absolutely shameless cunts

Blud its the truth, hes a greasy gamer like the rest of us, lets not pretend theres not food and dirty bacteria all over your gamepads, mouse and keyboard.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Of course they won't quit right away but whether anyone will still buy Xbox's is the problem.

Xbox Series will top out at around what, 30m lifetime?
Xbox Series 2/Next will achieve 15m at best.

The Xbox console brand is kinda dead already. Gamepass is better, but still, that whole experiment will not work out how they want either.

If hardware is profitable it could sell a million units and make sense.

Why would asus make so many motherboards, rog ally etc for a few million units.

StueyDuck

man Dring has just really lost it, Sony isn‘t the publisher of MLB on other platforms and a fucking journalist should know that instead of spreading BS
Considering he's saying Nintendo too I'm imagining he's talking more PC/Streaming services.

Nintendo published on Nvidia shield (china) and Sony are publishing on PC.

In that regard they are technically 3rd party.

pasterpl

man Dring has just really lost it, Sony isn‘t the publisher of MLB on other platforms and a fucking journalist should know that instead of spreading BS
PC master race says hi.

so looks that now both xbox and PlayStation will be beta testing games for pc master race (this gen I own Xbox series x, series s, switch, steam deck, and master race pc)

graywolf323

Considering he's saying Nintendo too I'm imagining he's talking more PC/Streaming services.

Nintendo published on Nvidia shield (china) and Sony are publishing on PC.

In that regard they are technically 3rd party.
he’s not actually, he claimed Nintendo too because of mobile games 🤦🏼‍♂️

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no plans to quit, means that they will still produce the next gen xbox....and thats it lol

no plans to quit, means that they will still produce the next gen xbox....and thats it lol

Honestly who cares what their "plans" are at this point anymore? It's constantly changing. This isn't an ecosystem you can trust anymore and I've honestly felt that way since the Xbox one announcement which is why I left. I was pissed losing my achievements but I just didn't trust MS anymore.

Whether they "plan" to or not, going multiplatform will hasten the decline of a platform that is already in significant decline.

The only "smoke" here is that they plan to continue supporting Xbox. Sure, there will be game support, but is there going to be another platform after this? Who is going to buy that console knowing it might lose support any day?

Anyone who buys an Xbox at this point or buys games for it should know that they may not be able to play those games outside of the Xbox Series ecosystem and that when that system dies, their digital library largely dies with them except for buying another used Xbox Series console 5-10+ years from now.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
They probably won't but jeez just rip the band-aid off. Get that Sony and Nintendo money. If it helps keep Gamepass alive and maybe invest in better games in the future, hell why not?

200w.gif

kyussman

If they are planning on another console next gen......here is a pro tip......don't bother with a European release,no one is buying that shit,lol.

Porcile

Series S/X might stick around for a few years but there's no way Microsoft are going to R&D a whole new console only for the first-party games on it to be multiplatform. In fact they have probably been researching already and all metrics and data show it is likely doomed to failure.

harmonize

Xbox just has far too much go away heat with the overall gaming community to continue on being a console manufacturer, if they weren't owned by big money Microsoft they wouldn't have even made it past the One's reveal and release debacle. They might plan on continuing, but as we've seen over the past few months those type of plans can change in an instant.

Man I hope so. NGL I was kinda bummed thinking that only playstation would exist in the high end console space. I was sad when Sega left and I would be sad if xbox killed itself.

Fox Mulder

This will be the first time we’ve only had two console makers, so the ripple effects will be interesting to watch.

I don’t see anyone filling their void, as no company would be foolish enough to waste money trying to get into the console business.

MS was at it for over 20 years and no one is following them. Google or Amazon will always be looming giants, but would only be cloud gaming.

Top Bottom