• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Xbox has no plans to quit the console market

GHG

8es9vw.jpg

Papa_Wisdom

Posted from another thread but this is how I see the next gen Xbox

Next gen for Xbox will be a hand held in the same vein as the series s with hdmi out and connection for an external gpu when docked to your tv

The series x equivalent will be around the same price the series x was launched at, maybe even a little more expensive, all accessories will be compatible (memory cards etc). Again with a connection for external gpu.

Optional purchase to buy a Windows key (like developer mode) which means an version of Windows can be installed so can be used as a normal pc. Giving you access to steam and PlayStation ports.

Perhaps the license to oem to manufacture there own Xbox branded machines.

twilo99

If they release Starfield or any of those other big titles on PlayStation then it's over. Why would someone feel the need to buy their box? For the rental service? And miss out on having your games and Sony's games? Not happening. There are a lot of smart-dumb dudes in this industry making crucial decisions.

There hasn’t been a need for their plastic boxes for years now ..

Maddoxswe

What's worse is that he later started pretending as if he always knew this. The following is from his article on Windows Central, published on Jan 17, 2024.

Qo8XK5A.jpg

So he knew in mid-November that this is happening. But tweeted on December 16 that it is not happening?

Jez is a bullshiter.
It's crazy how much he lies to sound confident. Everything the dude says will end up on my ignore list going forward :)

diffusionx

Gold Member
If they release Starfield or any of those other big titles on PlayStation then it's over. Why would someone feel the need to buy their box? For the rental service? And miss out on having your games and Sony's games? Not happening. There are a lot of smart-dumb dudes in this industry making crucial decisions.
Nobody felt the need to buy their box with Starfield, though.

He makes it sound like xbox shut down cause the steam deck exists? ooooooooooook

Let me break it down for you

1. Leak shows Xbox has a 2027 deadline to meet certain metrics
2. Phil says the ABK deal will expediate their future plans
3. ABK deal finalizes
4. Xbox R.I.P. 2024

ABK deal was the final nail in the coffin.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Does it matter?

Once MS games come to PS5, Xbox hardware sales will tank to ZERO

And even those who already have one will rush to GameStop to trade it in

If microsoft release another console and it's powerful and has gamepass that's as good as last year. This year has started crazy too. Then I'll buy it as well as play my pc.

I make good money, I enjoy buying things and I like their consoles.

midnightAI

Steam Deck? Do they see that as their competitor (or I read it wrong)? I mean, I see that more as a switch competitor, but I don't think Nintendo will be worried.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

I like how people are bullying someone on this forum because they cover Xbox, absolutely shameless cunts

Of course they won't quit right away but whether anyone will still buy Xbox's is the problem.

Xbox Series will top out at around what, 30m lifetime?
Xbox Series 2/Next will achieve 15m at best.

The Xbox console brand is kinda dead already. Gamepass is better, but still, that whole experiment will not work out how they want either.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
More bullshit drivel out of this hideous blob's mouth

This thing and Chubb Grubb might as well be one in the same person

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I think the rumors about them trying to license Xbox OS to third parties will end up being true.
Yeah this. Within their revenue stream something like 5% come from gaming. Its such a small part for MS that its just not worth it to also sell hardware at a loss.
I can totally see them going the "Netflix" for gaming route, and that will include their services and games on PS5 and Switch 2. You don't spend 70bill on IP to artificially block consumer bases from these IP's.

Mister Wolf

correct. from my own personal experience, it's about at least 3 games...

Most of us on here are 30 - 40 year old men. Around for all the important generations where consoles competed starting with Genesis vs Super Nintendo. We all should know what goes into making a console popular with the public and a high seller. Xbox got away from the winning strategy. You sell with great exclusives first and foremost and secondary you sell with power. I remember seeing the comparisons of Splinter Cell and Max Payne running on an Xbox vs the PS2 versions and wanting an Xbox bad.

Ansphn

Posted from another thread but this is how I see the next gen Xbox

Next gen for Xbox will be a hand held in the same vein as the series s with hdmi out and connection for an external gpu when docked to your tv

The series x equivalent will be around the same price the series x was launched at, maybe even a little more expensive, all accessories will be compatible (memory cards etc). Again with a connection for external gpu.

Optional purchase to buy a Windows key (like developer mode) which means an version of Windows can be installed so can be used as a normal pc. Giving you access to steam and PlayStation ports.

Perhaps the license to oem to manufacture there own Xbox branded machines.
What makes them confident they can enter the handheld market? They never made one before and i doubt they would spend the R&D budget on that.

If they were smart, they would go the Apple route and have their Surface able to hdmi out to a TV to play games.

Robb

Gold Member
Obviously not, even if they stop making consoles they’ll still be making games for consoles. They wouldn’t just move to PC only.

MikeM

Most of us on here are 30 - 40 year old men. Around for all the important generations where consoles competed starting with Genesis vs Super Nintendo. We all should know what goes into making a console popular with the public and a high seller. Xbox got away from the winning strategy. You sell with great exclusives first and foremost and secondary you sell with power. I remember seeing the comparisons of Splinter Cell and Max Payne running on an Xbox vs the PS2 versions and wanting an Xbox bad.
Exactly. Nintendo and PS aren’t whwre they are because they gave away their exclusives to other platforms.

Xbox lost their way chasing the MS subscription culture. Its a prime example why gaming companies whose main gig is gaming first tend to do better.

Rob_27

Surely they can't be that stupid. Nip these out of control rumours in the bud. I'm sure some are true but ....

Papa_Wisdom

What makes them confident they can enter the handheld market? They never made one before and i doubt they would spend the R&D budget on that.

If they were smart, they would go the Apple route and have their Surface able to hdmi out to a TV to play games.
I think it nestles into the cross over of people that bought the switch and the steam deck, which a lot more companies are starting to take notice of and cater to.

Would it be as popular as switch 2? No prob not but I think the prospect of a portable Xbox/game pass local/non streaming experience would be something they would be looking at. And like the switch can be hooked up to tv.

External gpu connector might be a bit too far but I’d like to see it.

They might never have made a handheld before but it’s not like they don’t have access to plenty on the market to strip down and inspect. Valve had never created a hand held either until the steam deck. Plus I’m sure ms hardware team are bigger than valves.

There surface team would be a perfect fit to design something like that.

My opinion anyway.

They were never going to leave the console hardware market, just putting more of their games on Nintendo and Playstation systems.

Yeah this. Within their revenue stream something like 5% come from gaming. Its such a small part for MS that its just not worth it to also sell hardware at a loss.
I can totally see them going the "Netflix" for gaming route, and that will include their services and games on PS5 and Switch 2. You don't spend 70bill on IP to artificially block consumer bases from these IP's.
Well, I kinda agree. Looking at margins of Lenovo or Asus....Aside Nintendo, the console hardware has low margins and I guess Starfield not moving enough consoles have become the final nail in the coffin. Add to that the increasing price for game development (where even powerhouses like Epic are burning money). Then we also have people attached to their digital ecosystems and they would rather lose access to games than switch to other platforms (EGS vs Steam is a prime example).

Though Netflix won't happen because the model is kinda different + the mind share of Netflix is much bigger than Xbox's and Netflix has been a household name for streaming for quite some time. With gaming there are many more avenues - including games like Fortnite that have subscriptions inside subscriptions or game stores within game stores. In gaming, you can literally play the single game for years, without touching anything else for years.

At least Xbox games will have high review scores now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

WTF?! What is their weird persecution complex?

No one is bullying him "because he covers Xbox". We are criticizing him because he has been caught lying.

Lol Persecution Complex, I don't even follow the guy but the fact bellends on here have to make a thread about one journalist is funny to make themselves feel happy about purchasing a plastic box.

My sweet lord this dude is so obese…

I wonder how much greasy food this geeza has wedged under the keys on hes keyboard,l.

The users will leave their hardware anyway... It's a moot point

Why selling something that no one wants?
They still sold 30+ million Xbox Series consoles over the past 3 years, obviously people want it. They probably have a lot of user data that demonstrates that a large percentage of their customers don't care about exclusivity.

They still sold 30+ million Xbox Series consoles over the past 3 years, obviously people want it. They probably have a lot of user data that demonstrates that a large percentage of their customers don't care about exclusivity.

So they should keep making a product that becomes completely redundant as you can play ALL their games + Playstation games on a single console??

Amazing business strategy, but MS is capable of that

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The question has never been about MS' giving up on hardware, its more about their commitment to persevering in the console space when they've invested so heavily in a platform agnostic ecosystem for games.

One of the key USP's of Gamepass is you no longer need a console to play console games after all!

Bry0

I think the rumors about them trying to license Xbox OS to third parties will end up being true.
I’ve said this on other threads but people ignored me. Valve and STEAM OS is a threat to windows. It’s a small one now but if I was MS I would take that very seriously, it is a bigger problem than Sony, Sony is not trying to replace windows, valve is going all the way.

I’ve said this on other threads but people ignored me. Valve and STEAM OS is a threat to windows. It’s a small one now but if I was MS I would take that very seriously, it is a bigger problem than Sony, Sony is not trying to replace windows, valve is going all the way.
I don't think that Steam is that much a treat, but the concept of lightweight OS for the user is. I still wish for a lightweight Windows OS, but if Xbox OS will become one - will be cool.
Personally I am more afraid for Linux as Microsoft has been contributing too much to Linux and it feels like sooner or later, MSFT will become to influential there.

Personally I still believe that if MSFT find a way to put Xbox OS and Android support there, that would be amazing 🔥 Especially when now the mobile phones are becoming capable of running console games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom