• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "[Microsoft is] a tech giant with a long history of dominating industries, the choices gamers have today will disappear"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sony paying a few mill for dev cost is one thing. Depending on the contract dosent mean Sony owns it, It definitely wasn’t 70 billion. In contrast Disney paid 71 billion for fox. What does that look like?
It does look like one party is paying money for the other having less games

They being competitive is fine, they buying their way into monopoly isn’t.
They aren't buying their way into a monopoly. They are ensuring that moving forward they can satisfy the demand for new and exclusive content that gamers crave. Bethesda and ActiBlizz were for sale before MS came knocking, could have been bought up by anyone large enough. You should be happy it wasn't Embracer, Tencent, or Amazon.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
On top of that they purchased Psygonois which brought titles like Wipeout and Destruction Derby, both of which were big titles for PS.
They also bought up a number of other exclusives like Twisted Metal, which was a big hit.
All these games were made under Sony but you are saying it like it's a negative? Psygnosis made them after they were acquired in 1993 and they were also multiplatform.

So what if Playstation published Twisted Metal and it was a big hit? It was their own game. You don't make sense.

Destruction Derby and Wipeout 1 and 2 were released on Sega Saturn. So much for "destroying Sega" and then giving them big hits 🤣

Last edited:
jksDPP0.jpg

Green influencers are furious I am telling you.

drganon

Nah, I lives through the whole thing.
Sony did a deal with EA to get then to pull support for Sega consoles. EA had been one of the major contract partners with Sega for a long time.
Back in that era the biggest thing in gaming was EA Sports. Madden and Fifa were what brought people in mass to the consoles. A console without Madden or Fifa or NHL games was dead man walking.
Sony was a much wealthier company than Sega and could afford to buy up big publishers like Psygnosis while Sega relied on their own first party studios.
Sony signed up Namco as exclusive to the Playstation and did deals with Kanomi and Capcom as well for exclusive content.
Sony is shit scared of the potential MS can bring with its money position over Sony, because its the exact same thing they did to Sega.
You've got a real gift for fan fiction.

You've got a real gift for fan fiction.
This. EA pulled support for the Dreamcast because they wanted to be the sole provider of sports videogames and Sega said no, they had recently bought Visual Concepts and were unwilling to concede to EA's demands, so EA left and later said "Every dollar we spend developing for the Dreamcast is one less dollar we could spend developing for the PS2."

So now we're making up some kind of weird "Microsoft is just catching up" narrative?

Making up?

Sony acquired at LEAST around 25 studios and I'm probably missing some. Microsoft before Zenimax was quite a bit behind even with those other recent acquisitions around it. Now they are historically close to each other.

Activision will be if it goes through, what puts Xbox OVER Sony in acquisitions. It is literally catching up. Microsoft didn't make many Acquisitions before Xbox One's low point at all. Most of the time they just let the companies go that they dealt with, some of which were actually created by Microsoft first (high feelplus etc.)

Last edited:

Stooky

It does look like one party is paying money for the other having less games
It looks like Microsoft doing what they have been doing with their other divisions, using their war chest to buy market share. I was always wondering when it would happen and now here we are. After a decades of being kicked around by Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft said we’ll buy the bar. We’ll see how it turns out for devs and gamers.

Last edited:
People here clearly haven't played Monopoly.

Thank God Europe has decent regulators and this acquisition can fail, if everything was like USA, Apple MS Meta the list goes on would probably have bought even the air we breathe.
MS the third place monopolistic corporation. If MS is a monopoly in games I wonder what Sony and Nintendo are with an even bigger share of the market? Makes Ryan's comments even more silly.

gothmog

Gold Member
Making up?

Sony acquired at LEAST around 25 studios and I'm probably missing some. Microsoft before Zenimax was quite a bit behind even with those other recent acquisitions around it. Now they are historically close to each other.

Activision will be if it goes through, what puts Xbox OVER Sony in acquisitions. It is literally catching up. Microsoft didn't make many Acquisitions before Xbox One's low point at all. Most of the time they just let the companies go that they dealt with, some of which were actually created by Microsoft first (high feelplus etc.)
Lol. This is a new one. Kudos.

I will say that Sony's acquisitions over the years were pretty organic. Usually acquiring studios that had worked closely with them. Xbox did it as well. This was why I personally did not care about the Bethesda acquisition because Xbox had a strong working relationship with them.

The Activision deal is not very organic, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you're worried so much about the future of video games, can't imagine how you even leave your home. So many what ifs could happen. Hurricane , car accident, freak base jumper lands on you, it's endless. How do you handle all that pressure?
Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Unknown?

My god has a Sony CEO ever behaved this unprofessionally. Making a complete fool out of himself in front of a global public. Is anyone stupid enough to believe his story? Me good guy other guy bad boo hoo

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU
A lot of people believed MS's story about bringing more choices so yeah, I'm sure people fell for Ryan pretending he wouldn't do the same.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I like Jim because he's doing a good job at Sony but he really needs to work on an alternative and stop whining.

This deal is going to happen no matter what.

Sounds like a warning to me, if regulators don’t put some brakes on this deal even if it’s in the form of concessions then nothing stops Sony going out there and buy a publisher. Of course there will be up roar about it, and there will be so much spin that the earth will shift poles.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
They aren't buying their way into a monopoly. They are ensuring that moving forward they can satisfy the demand for new and exclusive content that gamers crave. Bethesda and ActiBlizz were for sale before MS came knocking, could have been bought up by anyone large enough. You should be happy it wasn't Embracer, Tencent, or Amazon.
The naivety of you people is touching.

DaGwaphics

You’re so innocenf 😂 why do you think they bought Skype? And Nokia? They just failed at Nokia but please, don’t be naïve.

How was Skype or Nokia involved in making MS dominant in the areas they are dominant in? That's what I'm asking. Also, no one could look at Nokia in 2014 and think that MS's purchase there was going to result in them having a monopolistic position in the smartphone market. LOL

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

lol what do you think MS Teams is?
https://suiteguides.com/google-workspace-vs-microsoft-365-market-share/
And Nokia was a failure, but they tried.

You think MS Teams dominates that space? Zoom honestly seems much bigger, tbh.

No one is saying that MS doesn't operate successful businesses outside of their core industries, it's just hard to see the string of examples where they buy out industries and dominate through acquisition. It's almost like that's an imaginary premise.

John Wick

You also forget what IP Sony purchased.
There were two big Arcade game companies in Japan. Sega and Namco. Sony signed up Namco as an exclusive to the playstation.
In Japan, which was the predominat gaming country, titles like Ridge Racer, Tekken etc were the equal of Daytona and Virtua Fighter.
On top of that they purchased Psygonois which brought titles like Wipeout and Destruction Derby, both of which were big titles for PS.
They also bought up a number of other exclusives like Twisted Metal, which was a big hit.
Sony's strategy was exactly what they had to do. They didn't have the first party studios like AM2 etc that Sega had, so they had to buy the content from third parties. They knew if the PS was going to be a success it needed to have the best exclusive games on its console.
They did just that. It was an excellent buisness move and it worked.
But don't be naive and think that Sony didn't use its position to hurt the Sega consoles it was in opposition to. They did.
That's business. They owed Sega nothing. They wanted Segas console buisness. They got it. They won and the history books were written.
That's why Sony is so pathetic and crying victim over Activision.
Everyone with their ass pointing down knows that if Sony was in the financial position to buy Activision and have COD exclusive they would have done it in a heart beat.
Are you on crack? Sony had the brains to make an arcade board based on PSX technology which it licensed to arcade manufacturers like Namco etc. Namco had no exclusive agreement with Sony. Your making shit up now.
Psygnosis was bought and still made games for Sega.
You need to stop with this victim complex. Nintendo didn't have anything to do with it did they? It was just bad old Sony.

gothmog

Gold Member
You think MS Teams dominates that space? Zoom honestly seems much bigger, tbh.

No one is saying that MS doesn't operate successful businesses outside of their core industries, it's just hard to see the string of examples where they buy out industries and dominate through acquisition. It's almost like that's an imaginary premise.
Teams has been dominating because they bundle it with the rest of the Office suite so you basically get it for "free". I have seen more companies go from Slack and Zoom to Teams in the past few years than in any other direction. So I would say their purchase of Skype paid off as it gave them the stomach to go in on a product like Teams.

Lol. This is a new one. Kudos.

I will say that Sony's acquisitions over the years were pretty organic. Usually acquiring studios that had worked closely with them. Xbox did it as well. This was why I personally did not care about the Bethesda acquisition because Xbox had a strong working relationship with them.

The Activision deal is not very organic, though.

Activision want the money, MS have the money. Sounds pretty organic to me.

sainraja

I was saying that I would go back and read through the conversation to get some context but I can't say I understand the need to make the distinction any better. I don't see a point in going through the whole argument again so I will just conclude by repeating what I was saying earlier — talent/IP make a publisher who they are. Otherwise they are simply just a printing press I guess.

Now I get that A&B has a side to their business that does the approve/disapprove/fund allocation for their individual studios that make games for various platforms under different contracts (the publishing part) but the company is ultimately who they are because of what they own and the people they have, not because they have the capital to release games without relying on someone else.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Making up?

Here you go:

Sony Acquisitions:
May 21, 1993 - Psygnosis
December 1, 2000 - Bend Studio
January 22, 2001 - Naughty Dog
August 7, 2002 - Incognito Entertainment
December 7, 2005 - Guerrilla Games
January 25, 2006 - Zipper Interactive
May 15, 2007 - Sigil Games Online Inc
September 20, 2007 - Evolution Studios, Bigbig Studios
March 2, 2010 - Media Molecule
August 2, 2011 - Sucker Punch Productions
January 8, 2019 - Audiokinetic
August 19, 2019 - Insomniac Games
June 29, 2021 - Housemarque
July 1, 2021 - Nixxes Software
September 8, 2021 - Firesprite
September 29, 2021 - Fabrik Games
September 30, 2021 - Bluepoint Games
December 10, 2021 - Valkyrie Entertainment
February 1, 2022 - Lasengle (gaming division of DelightWorks)
March 21, 2022 - Haven Studios
July 15, 2022 - Bungie
August 29, 2022 - Savage Game Studios

That is every video game acquisition by Sony to date. That is 22 acquisitions in almost 29 years, and over half of those were within the last five years. This is almost identical to Microsoft who is at 19 video game acquisitions in the same time frame (assuming the Activision/Blizzard acquisition goes through).

Microsoft Acquisitions:
January 11, 1999 - FASA Interactive
April 19, 1999 - Access Software
June 19, 2000 - Bungie
December 5, 2000 - Digital Anvil
May 3, 2001 - Ensemble Studios
September 24, 2002 - Rare
April 6, 2006 - Lionhead Studios
October 12, 2011 - Twisted Pixel Games
June 5, 2012 - Press Play
November 6, 2014 - Mojang
June 11, 2018 - Ninja Theory
June 11, 2018 - Undead Labs
June 11, 2018 - Compulsion Games
June 11, 2018 - Playground Games
November 10, 2018 - inXile Entertainment
November 10, 2018 - Obsidian Entertainment
June 9, 2019 - Double Fine Productions
September 21, 2020 - ZeniMax Media
January 18, 2022 - Activision Blizzard

Sony has had 4 more acquisitions than Microsoft (I'm not including the Acitivision Blizzard acquisition since it hasn't gone through yet), but Microsoft's total studios acquired are larger than Sony's even without Acitivision Blizzard. Microsoft's issue isn't having the studios and/or talent. Their issue is that they don't know how to manage their acquisitions. They assume that everything can be resolved by just throwing more money at the problem, and that's a terrible way to manage this business.

Microsoft isn't playing catch up because they lacked studios or talent. They're playing catch up because they keep getting to the end zone and then fumbling the ball. They have had every chance to dominate in the gaming space, but they end up blowing it. You can't look at these two acquisition lists (even without the Activision Blizzard acquisition) and say that Microsoft is simply needing to level the playing field with the Activision Blizzard acquisition.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It looks like Microsoft doing what they have been doing with their other divisions, using their war chest to buy market share. I was always wondering when it would happen and now here we are. After a decades of being kicked around by Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft said we’ll buy the bar. We’ll see how it turns out for devs and gamers.
Sure, no different than what Sony has done too to put PS where it is... The only company that has grown themselves with barely purchasing other game dev studios is Nintendo, all the tactics are ok imo, they're just different play styles, and like it or not Sony basically justified MS actions themselves, many posts say why already

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to see Jim Ryan on behalf of Sony decline the 10 year offer for COD only for it to lead him overplaying his hand and then end up being shocked when the acquisition goes through without any concessions and COD becomes exclusive as it fucking should be in 2024.

fallingdove

Sony has had 4 more acquisitions than Microsoft (I'm not including the Acitivision Blizzard acquisition since it hasn't gone through yet), but Microsoft's total studios acquired are larger than Sony's even without Acitivision Blizzard. Microsoft's issue isn't having the studios and/or talent. Their issue is that they don't know how to manage their acquisitions. They assume that everything can be resolved by just throwing more money at the problem, and that's a terrible way to manage this business.

Microsoft isn't playing catch up because they lacked studios or talent. They're playing catch up because they keep getting to the end zone and then fumbling the ball. They have had every chance to dominate in the gaming space, but they end up blowing it. You can't look at these two acquisition lists (even without the Activision Blizzard acquisition) and say that Microsoft is simply needing to level the playing field with the Activision Blizzard acquisition.
Zenimax Media is actually 9+ studios (depending on how you look at Bethesda and the 3 studios that fall under the Bethesda umbrella). And acquisitions are the definition of lacking studios and talent. Just saying…

Last edited:

Fabieter

Lets be real though, CoD, Diablo, Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Etc "Free" day 1 on Gamepass does have a very solid chance of killing Playstation in the mid to long term. The critical mass of normies do not care that much about the single prestige first party game Sony releases every year or two, they'll buy the Black Friday $200 Series S and play all the big games for $10.

And chances are high that ms will buy the next publisher after avb. As long as they still release games on steam i don't care but knowing ms history that's not a given.

pasterpl

This is nonsense. Crybaby for saying facts?
Facts? Ms is offering gamers the most choice out of all 3 platform holders, Sony and and Nintendo are limiting choices. Ms even said they will keep cod on playstation. Why everyone makes assumption gamers = playstation owners? Playstation is great brand but their user base is max 120m which is tiny % of the overall gaming market. Removing something from playstation shouldn’t matter. Playstation owners are not entitled to get all games on their platform. Other platform holders can have exclusives. Also if activision wanna sell it’s not ms fault that sony couldn’t afford them, if they could Jim would jump on this and made all games exclusive to playstation straight away and sonygaf would be cheering.

Last edited:

yurinka

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/j...r policies in the consoles space from 1994-?

MS is not in a position to monopolize any gaming market and wont even be after acquiring ABK, they'll be far from it. Sony never had a similar policy, they never made a $70B acquisition, never acquired a big 3rd party publisher and even less the top grossing 3rd party publisher including the top selling 3rd party IP that basically every year tops the sales chart.

Sony only bought dev studios, way less relevant to the market than ABK, and signed 3rd party exclusives for isolated games. Same as every other console platform holder ever did.

MS instead bough a couple big publishers and a ton of dev studios and IPs for almost $100B in some years. In these years Sony spent less than 10% of that in acquisitions.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Can you please list the entire RPG series of games that Sony has paid to keep off Xbox? Last I checked FF15 was on Xbox. FF7 never released as far as I'm aware on an Xbox.
You claim Sony have boxed off the RPG genre but can provide the receipts? FF16 could be possibly timed console exclusive. But one game or series doesn't mean an entire genre.
Outside of SFV which Sony funded which other fighting series have they tied down?
Xbox using money from elsewhere to get control of the market isn't fair at all. This isn't some start up company but a tech giant. They are spending close to $100 billion to monopolise the industry. They wouldn't be able to make those type of acquisitions just from their gaming revenue.
Just imagine if this was Apple or Google but in fields where they are involved in and they threw $100 billion on dominating a market imagine the stink MS would kick up?
Sorry, but this is just bullshit. Even if this deal goes through there is no way for Microsoft to "monopolize" industry. Do you even realize how many developers/publishers/companies are part of gaming industry? From giants like Sony, Nintendo, Tencent, Nexon through big publishers like EA, Take-Two, Ubisoft to smaller companies like Devolver, Focus Home etc.

How much of a market share would Microsoft with Activision Blizzard have? 15%? Maybe even less. Does that sound like a monopoly to you? They are taking a beating in console space, they are being beaten on PC front by Steam. So where exactly there is a worry of monopoly? Because of Call of Duty? Series that will remain multiplatform until 2036 at least? The only way even CMA was even able to try to challenge this deal is because they carved out specific cloud gaming market and look at the possible implication of Xbox + Azure. It's like if you had to approve merger of two film companies and you carved out their theme parks as a proof that deal is a problem.

Or because they have subscription service? I mean, Sony has subscription service too, so it's not like a novel concept that nobody else can afford. Fact that PS Plus is more shit is Sony's problem. They refuse to do more than absolute minimum to have a compelling service. As cheapest as possible, just to not loose customers to Game Pass.

And yes, of course, Microsoft would kick up a stink if Apple or Google would try to buy Activision Blizzard. And I would criticize their hypocrisy same way I'm criticizing Sony now. At the end of a day, I understand why Sony is doing that. They don't care about players. They care about protecting their business interests and interest of their shareholders. It would be strange for them to not fight it (to this day I find strange that they did not fight Bethesda acquisition). But pretending that Microsoft is some kind of bogeyman with history of anti-competitive behaviour that Sony has with PlayStation is really funny.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Facts? Ms is offering gamers the most choice out of all 3 platform holders, Sony and and Nintendo are limiting choices. Ms even said they will keep cod on playstation. Why everyone makes assumption gamers = playstation owners? Playstation is great brand but their user base is max 120m which is tiny % of the overall gaming market. Removing something from playstation shouldn’t matter. Playstation owners are not entitled to get all games on their platform. Other platform holders can have exclusives. Also if activision wanna sell it’s not ms fault that sony couldn’t afford them, if they could Jim would jump on this and made all games exclusive to playstation straight away and sonygaf would be cheering.
This is delusional. Ps is making their own games. Microsoft is buying games to put on gp. Not to make them on there.
I don’t care about choice of platforms. Game being out on all platform does not benefit me. I just need it on ps

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony worldwide probably said to Jim...if you let this deal go through on your watch....here's the blade...you must commit seppikku for dishonering us.

Man's fighting for his life.

Orta

Banned
Nah, I lives through the whole thing.
Sony did a deal with EA to get then to pull support for Sega consoles. EA had been one of the major contract partners with Sega for a long time.
Back in that era the biggest thing in gaming was EA Sports. Madden and Fifa were what brought people in mass to the consoles. A console without Madden or Fifa or NHL games was dead man walking.
Sony was a much wealthier company than Sega and could afford to buy up big publishers like Psygnosis while Sega relied on their own first party studios.
Sony signed up Namco as exclusive to the Playstation and did deals with Kanomi and Capcom as well for exclusive content.
Sony is shit scared of the potential MS can bring with its money position over Sony, because its the exact same thing they did to Sega.

Not to mention the Eidos/Tomb Raider & Square/Final Fantasy exclusivity deals too. Sony had nothing about them back then apart from a huge cheque book. They started this whole thing and its why I utterly detest Sony/Playstation and its fanboys to this day. Biggest hypocrites around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom