• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kameo Still Looks Lush!

I've just started a new game on Kameo seeing as my first play through was saved on my launch 360 which broke down two weeks before Halo 3 launched. Grrr!

Anyway, I'm now playing the game on my Elite through HDMI and it looks gorgeous! Rareware glossy rainbow texture elemental floaty fairy gorgeous! For a game that launched over two years ago this was well ahead of its time graphically, but now with the launch of titles such as Uncharted and Assassin's Creed that Rare's artistic and technical expertise really shines. Bring on Banjo Threeie!

Gnar Kill

I'll probably get chastised for this, but I never actually played Kameo. I was in Gamestop earlier looking at it and almost picked it up. Should I give it a go or what?

LowParry

I played the demo. It looks great. Just the gameplay I'm not so keen about really. Just not my cup of tea.

Shiggy

Would anyone mind to upload those beta videos from the Xbox/GCN version which were to be seen during the game?

Speevy

Banned
Gnar Kill said:
I'll probably get chastised for this, but I never actually played Kameo. I was in Gamestop earlier looking at it and almost picked it up. Should I give it a go or what?

It's a mediocre game. But it looks decent on an HDTV. The art is horrible. The textures/shaders are eye-popping. The controls are wonky. The soundtrack is great.

Make a judgment call.

CcrooK said:
I played the demo. It looks great. Just the gameplay I'm not so keen about really. Just not my cup of tea.

Demo is the worst level of the game IMO (graphically and gameplay wise)

Thread fails without pics
I can't host. Anyone got any good Kameo pics?

I was in Gamestop earlier looking at it and almost picked it up. Should I give it a go or what?
Yeah, give it a go. It's really only bettered by Banjo Kazooie as far as Rare adventure games go in my opinion. Here in the UK you can pic it up for about £8 ($15) now.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I love the look of kameo, a real success if you ask me considering it was made as a last gen game. Those always wind up looking inferior.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Kid Chameleon said:
I've just started a new game on Kameo seeing as my first play through was saved on my launch 360 which broke down two weeks before Halo 3 launched. Grrr!

Anyway, I'm now playing the game on my Elite through HDMI and it looks gorgeous! Rareware glossy rainbow texture elemental floaty fairy gorgeous! For a game that launched over two years ago this was well ahead of its time graphically, but now with the launch of titles such as Uncharted and Assassin's Creed that Rare's artistic and technical expertise really shines. Bring on Banjo Threeie!

Banjo will be amazing looking. That is honestly the only guarantee that I have this year.

Tieno

It looks good, but was artistically a mixed bag. Lots of obvious repeating textures like in the bad lands, looked copy paste sometimes. It sometimes showed that it was a port from a previous generation. Didn't really like the color palette either, didn't feel cohesive.

I love the look of kameo, a real success if you ask me considering it was made as a last gen game. Those always wind up looking inferior.

I really miss the whole Nintendo/Rare era when the N64 was in its prime. Mario 64, Zelda OOT, F-Zero 64, Wave Race, Blast Corps, GoldenEye, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Jet Force Gemini, Conker's BFD... - I just don't think either Rare or Nintendo has output as many quality games in such a short space of time since then.

kameo02m.jpg

kameo06m.jpg

kameo07m.jpg

kameo16m.jpg

kameo15m.jpg

kameo10m.jpg

kameo19m.jpg

kameo05m.jpg

kameo11m.jpg

kameo24m.jpg

kameo09m.jpg

Lots of obvious repeating textures like in the bad lands, looked copy paste sometimes. It sometimes showed that it was a port from a previous generation.

Yeah, some sections used a lot of tiled textures, but those parts are few and far between.

Xapati

I played the demo where it let's you explore diffrent areas for a short period of time. While the game definately looks really good, I found that Kameo herself controlled very inpercise.

The other thing I noticed when playing this time is that Rare somehow managed to get paralax mapping and anisotropic filtering working on the same surfaces - something which I understand is hard to do.

Walshicus

Kid Chameleon said:

It was beautiful and above all I loved the gameplay. Every time I hear someone slag off Kameo a little bit of me dies. Eurogamer's review was particularly heart-breaking.

I found that Kameo herself controlled very inpercise

The control isn't as tight as some games, but you hardly ever play as Kameo herself as you're nearly always an elemental warrior, and each of those controls differently. The only place I had a real problem with control was on the ice level in which you had to navigate narrow slippery pathways above cetain death. It's more an adventure game than platformer though, and thankfully the controls don't usually affect negotiating the levels successfully.

Rare surely knows how to push a console hardware. And it even wasn't a game developed from scratch for 360. Banjo will be their first full game (not XBLA) created for Xbox 360, and I can't wait to see what have they done! And I'd die for a Conker sequel...

WinFonda

Kameo is a mixed bag. Some things look absolutely gorgeous, others are downright ugly. Still a solid launch title though.

Agent Icebeezy

Kid Chameleon said:
The other thing I noticed when playing this time is that Rare somehow managed to get paralax mapping and anisotropic filtering working on the same surfaces - something which I understand is hard to do.

Rare has always been great at the technical things

reaver18

Kameo is still one of my favorite games released on the 360. It not only looks amazing, but it's a really fun game too.

dralla

I love the concept behind the game with all the different creatures and it has a very addictive quality about it even if the gameplay is severely limited and unprecise. Judging by Rare's recent games I don't think they could do it justice if they made a sequal.

Ain't that just the truth. Remember how much they got out of the N64 with GoldenEye and such. They apparently had to compress the sound by 75 per cent to get it on the cartridge, and they did so with virtually no loss of quality.

Ain't that just the truth. Remember how much they got out of the N64 with GoldenEye and such. They apparently had to compress the sound by 75 per cent to get it on the cartridge, and they did so with virtually no loss of quality.

EDIT: Grrr, I hate PCs!

Scribble

kameo06m.jpg

That screen looks like it was taken from a current-gen sequel to Donkey Kong Country. The graphics remind me of that game (But better looking, obviously).

Agent Icebeezy

The cool thing about Kameo, is that this was rushed software and they didn't even bother to touch all of what the 360 could do, even if it was inefficient coding, which I'm sure it was because Microsoft shipped final devkits in August of 2005.

This was taken from a presentation.

http://ati.amd.com/developer/brighton/07 Coding for Multiple Cores.pdf

72uukbn.jpg

They have one on PGR3 as well in that PDF.

It's also funny that they call particles graphical fluff in that pdf. Kameo had that in abundance. Banjo presumably won't have that much so a lot more resources should go to things that count.

madara

What were the total sales for Kameo? Being a colorful non shooter that is, how did 360 users embrace it?

Agent Icebeezy

madara said:
What were the total sales for Kameo? Being a colorful non shooter that is, how did 360 users embrace it?

Supposed to have become a million seller when it was discounted.

hey guys heres a trick 2 see kameos panties rly good its soo hot

1. go 2 co-op
2. before you actually start go to options and make it so both characters can go through each other (i forget the actual option sry)
3. make one player go into the other player and press the crouch button
4. look up 2 see the panties

omg so hot im fapping right now guys

Top Bottom