• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima : "I’m Not Trying To Legitimize Games"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally not really fan of Kojima using famous celebrities in this game instead of designing original characters, it completely turn me off from the game. But at end of the day it’s his game, he can do what he wants.

brap

Banned
I personally not really fan of Kojima using famous celebrities in this game instead of designing original characters, it completely turn me off from the game. But at end of the day it’s his game, he can do what he wants.
I don't see how using famous celebrites for characters turns you off but you're not turned off by the buttfuckingly ugly characters in something like The Outer Worlds.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
puts famous actors in his games, goes to Movie Festivals to show his games, invites famous actors to take a look at his games, hires hip musicians to design the cover for the game as if its a Budget hollywood action flick. goes on talk shows to show his game.

"i'M nOt tRyInG tO lEgItImIzE gAmEs"
Why hire hip musicians to do graphical design? 🤔

Belmonte

I don't know the context of his sentence but I don't see any problems with it.

Dude is spending in actors because he loves movies and want to bring some of the movie atmosphere to his work. In this sense, it is not different from a dev choosing a comic/manga art style to make their game feels like a comic/manga. Only more expensive.

He and his team never forgets gameplay. They know they are making a videogame. Even in the cinematic fest which is Metal Gear Solid 4, when the player gets to play, it is great.

GreyHorace

Kojima loves designing video games, so much so he's been doing it for over 30 years. He's also a big film buff.

Why does this bother some people so much? You can't dictate the interests and tastes of other people, so why get mad about it?
What do you even want from him? To not be a fan of films? lol
This. I personally think Kojima is a bad storyteller and a lot of his plots are just a whole lot of nonsense.

But the man knows how to make videogames. And he never forgets the fact they are interactive entertainment. Some developers today are so eager to show off their artistic worth but couldn't make it in Hollywood are instead forced to use this lower end medium of vidyagames to show off their cinematic experiences (*cough* David Cage, Neil Druckmann *cough*).

Not Kojima. He knows how to engage the player and make his titles enjoyable to play. Which I think should be the goal of any videogame. I've no doubt that Death Stranding will be fun to play around with even though it's story will probably be incomprehensible nonsense.

dirthead

Banned
That's why savvy people dislike him. They see him for the fraud that he is. He actually thinks he's a talented writer and that his hacky cheesy bullshit is profound. Pure megalomania. He doesn't even like games. He's trying to use them as a trojan horse to get into Hollywood.

He probably creams his pants daydreaming about schmoozing with hollywood A listers. Sorry, Kojima. It doesn't matter how many instagram photos you take with actors. You're still going to have a micro penis.

He's a joke. Can't wait until people wake up, stop buying his games--games that historically have been carried by his teams that were responsible for every important implementation detail--and there's one less irritating twerp to distract people from actual gaming.

FMXVII

That's why savvy people dislike him. They see him for the fraud that he is. He actually thinks he's a talented writer and that his hacky cheesy bullshit is profound. Pure megalomania. He doesn't even like games. He's trying to use them as a trojan horse to get into Hollywood.

He probably creams his pants daydreaming about schmoozing with hollywood A listers. Sorry, Kojima. It doesn't matter how many instagram photos you take with actors. You're still going to have a micro penis.

He's a joke. Can't wait until people wake up, stop buying his games--games that historically have been carried by his teams that were responsible for every important implementation detail--and there's one less irritating twerp to distract people from actual gaming.

Can we at least give him credit for the insta-gib floor traps in NES Metal Gear?

"I met Kojima in a washroom once. I was taking a piss and he grabbed the urinal right next to me even though there were like 9 empty ones on the wall. Then he looks over, smirks and goes, "DIDJU RIKE IT ?!" and starts laughing maniacally. I just stood there in shock, so he looks over again, and repeats himself, "DIDJU RIKE IT ?!" and laughs even harder while he starts flicking his penis in my direction to get piss on me, a task at which he succeeded. Then he rinsed his hands with the urinal puck and walked out the door."
43793.jpg

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

"I met Kojima in a washroom once. I was taking a piss and he grabbed the urinal right next to me even though there were like 9 empty ones on the wall. Then he looks over, smirks and goes, "DIDJU RIKE IT ?!" and starts laughing maniacally. I just stood there in shock, so he looks over again, and repeats himself, "DIDJU RIKE IT ?!" and laughs even harder while he starts flicking his penis in my direction to get piss on me, a task at which he succeeded. Then he rinsed his hands with the urinal puck and walked out the door."
43793.jpg
Post this on twitter and he's done for.

FranXico

puts famous actors in his games, goes to Movie Festivals to show his games, invites famous actors to take a look at his games, hires hip musicians to design the cover for the game as if its a Budget hollywood action flick. goes on talk shows to show his game.

When are you going to buy a PS4 and actually try playing its games to legitimize your hate threads, I wonder?

Digity

Can you show us on the doll where Kojima touched you?

The dumbest take I've ever heard on this forum. You're a self-parody, you know that? This is an embarrassment to GAF, please don't write something like this again. It delegitimizes both the forum and your own arguments.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'd say this is probably pretty depressing for Kojima. Imagine people questioning your talent instead of seeing what you're trying to accomplish. I will say this, he did grow up watching films. I'm not judging him if he's trying to incorporate that with having AAA hollywood stars in his game(s). We all have been influenced by cinema. Maybe the bridge that these actors are building will help video games grow (which they do for the most part). You have things like the writers association and how some people forget to do any research in regards to censorship (or they flat out support censorship). When someone in a high position of the government believes that MGS was created by the US then you should realize that whoever is in power doesn't truly understand video games at all. I think Hideo Kojima is trying to build bridges, just like the theme of Death Stranding.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member

Wow, you're salty as fuck about Kojima and I have no idea how someone with so little influence in your life can elicit such a dark and negative emotion from you.

If being savvy means feeling what you're feeling, then keep that. Screw that noise, I don't need that type of sentiment in my life.

MiguelItUp

It should be no surprise that the man loves US entertainment (films, shows, and music.) He's in video games and wants to find ways to incorporate the things he loves and is passionate about into the medium that he specializes in.

Who knows how long this man would've loved to have been able to get celebrities into his games. Whether it be their likeness and voice, or one or the other. So I'm happy he's been able to network and acquire the goals he's clearly been working towards.

I've never been some Kojima-stan or fanatic, but I do appreciate the worlds he has created. They've always been interesting and out there enough to be entertaining. So, much like others have said, no matter how Death Stranding is received I will applaud the man for trying to do something different and out there. Especially as a AAA title.

I'm beyond tired of recycled genres and projects just being regurgitated as new products with a slightly different cover. Give me more risk takers and breaths of fresh air any day.

VGEsoterica

The fact games aren't a "legitimate art form" is such a dumb concept at face value. Artists are involved, they all have artistic merit (whether good or bad) and they tackle themes that films / television / books do.

Because some people consider them a "Waste of time", somehow they lack any artistic merit to a large swath of people. So dumb

Salvatron

So you weren't a fan of Vice City or San Andreas?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm more tempted to play video games with celebrities but I don't base my purchase off it.

Nintendo legitamised games since the 1980s in America.

What Kojima is doing is trying to make Games like Hollywood Movies but you press X for the Main Character to proceed to the Action Scenes.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo legitamised games since the 1980s in America.

What Kojima is doing is trying to make Games like Hollywood Movies but you press X for the Main Character to proceed to the Action Scenes.
I think the problem is that the older generations don't understand gaming.

Like VGEsoterica VGEsoterica said. It's perceived as a waste of time. Nintendo tried to tackle that, with games like Brain Age, Wii Fit and Cook book software. But they didn't want to compromise the established market, so the hardcore gamers didn't like it, and that ended up killing the whole propostion.

And suddenly we're back to square one.

Last edited:
Have you ever played a Kojima game? Lol

I have played MGS 1, 2 and 4.

4 gives you only 3 hours of gameplay overall (with a lot of QTEs at the end) and the rest as Cutscenes, that is when he started to care more about Storytelling than the gameplay.

Apologies if I don't see him as an all time great Game Designer. MGS was fantastic as it blended both the right way, but it seems he has shifted focus.

I hope that answers your simple question with a more thorough answer. :)

I think the problem is that the older generations don't understand gaming.

Like VGEsoterica VGEsoterica said. It's perceived as a waste of time. Nintendo tried to tackle that, with games like Brain Age, Wii Fit and Cook book software. But they didn't want to compromise the established market, so the hardcore gamers didn't like it, and that ended up killing the whole propostion.

And suddenly we're back to square one.

I think with Nintendo, they wanted to broaden the audience as they could retain them in the future, but it was seen in a bad light to those who buy their games.

Yeah, this is the part I'm worried about. Hollywood is SUPER-shitty. Just look at what's going on with Disney right now. Look at all the scandal, drama, shitty attacks on fans etc. going on there. You really want AAA games kowtowing to that?

I'm telling you, if there's a full Hollywood takeover of games, say goodbye to all the super-niche stuff, say goodbye to fanservice, say goodbye to games with unique game mechanics. And say hello to fans being treated like shit 10x worst for daring to say they aren't interested in propaganda for reasons unrelated to propaganda, like, 'ya know, the story being legitimately bad and characters completely ignoring common-sense logic for the sake of "plot".

They'll be spending too much of the budget on offers to Dwayne Johnson or Keanu Reeves or (god forbid) Carrot Top.

Top Bottom