• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewonandonly

This is easily my most hyped for movie besides Star Wars. It's looks incredible and has an amazing cast to go along with it. Now a few lucky gaffers said there were going to see it tonight and would drop impressions. I thought it would be nice to have them all in one place. If this is against the rules please tell me and lock the thread, but I think it should be fine. Anyway is the king back baby :)

c3mtrhrwyaaz8yx-jpg-large.jpg

giphy.gif

So GAF give me those impressions :)

First impression
k so spoiler-free for safety. I cannot compare it to King Kong 2005, as I have never seen that movie.

I definitely dug it. Lots of good stuff visually, good grief did they toss a budget at this thing. Cast is absurd - I think it's the most characters for something like this I can remember. Hiddleston is OK. There's a few really good Sam Jackson moments where it's pretty obvious they only had him in mind for that character. All things considered, this is kinda John C. Reilly's movie. A lot of the emotional kicks of the movie are tied to his character, which I liked a lot.

I feel like they definitely saw the criticism for Godzilla about people getting blue-balled with the big monster. Kong's in it a pretty good portion. He fucking wrecks shit. It's glorious as hell.

It's a pretty goddamn violent movie, relatively dark. Shit hits the fan A LOT. There's some humor in it, but not as much as you'd think. Tone of the trailers is pretty accurate, especially the later ones.

Screening was 2D normal, so I can't comment on any 3D or IMAX stuff. I almost always dig WB's blockbusters, so this was a no-brainer. I think this will review OK.

ONLY SPOILER I WILL SAY ABOUT THE FILM IN THIS POST:

Yes, there's a post credit, it's bonkers and meta and all that shit

We got another one babbby

yo I saw it too and can back up Bronson, this shit is B A N A N A S. Highly enjoyed it. Really solid kaiju adventure goodness. Pretty much agree with everything said by Bronson, especially how Dr. Steve Brule himself steals the show, naturally. The big man himself though, Kong is a BEAST, he tears the hell out of shit, i'm so glad they gave him a plentiful amount of screen-time. Post credits scene got me hype too. So on board with this MonsterVerse they got going here. Hope this does well and doesn't get overlooked by all the other big movies this month, it's a lot of fun.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Hoping for some good stuff since all the trailers have looked like a ton of fun.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think the hype is getting to me. This movie didn't really win me over until that final trailer dropped. Now I'm all in. Damn marketing.

k so spoiler-free for safety. I cannot compare it to King Kong 2005, as I have never seen that movie.

I definitely dug it. Lots of good stuff visually, good grief did they toss a budget at this thing. Cast is absurd - I think it's the most characters for something like this I can remember. Hiddleston is OK. There's a few really good Sam Jackson moments where it's pretty obvious they only had him in mind for that character. All things considered, this is kinda John C. Reilly's movie. A lot of the emotional kicks of the movie are tied to his character, which I liked a lot.

I feel like they definitely saw the criticism for Godzilla about people getting blue-balled with the big monster. Kong's in it a pretty good portion. He fucking wrecks shit. It's glorious as hell.

It's a pretty goddamn violent movie, relatively dark. Shit hits the fan A LOT. There's some humor in it, but not as much as you'd think. Tone of the trailers is pretty accurate, especially the later ones.

Screening was 2D normal, so I can't comment on any 3D or IMAX stuff. I almost always dig WB's blockbusters, so this was a no-brainer. I think this will review OK.

A friend says it's like Pacific Rim. But we've been saying it reminded us of Pacific Rim, so confirmation bias and all. I couldn't make the screening tonight, but will watch in two weeks.

Thanks for posting your impression. Gives me a bit of hope for the film.

What's Brie Larson's character like?

Thewonandonly

giphy.gif

I didn't think I could get more hyped but here I am. This is all I wanted hear and now I can't fucking wait. I will be there day one in IMAX with a blunt :D

TheFlow

Banned

I felt like you just described Jacksons version. It was dark and violent as hell

I admit I'm only in it for Godzilla but the movie certainly looks to be entertaining instead of a slog like the Jackson version.

I'm glad they didn't go down that route with the tone again.

Icolin

Banned

How were John Goodman, Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell? Curious about those guys.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's too fucking long and I'm not really down with Peter Jackson's stuff, I still haven't seen all of the LOTR films
>_>

Look, I'm no PJ guy myself, (also haven't seen all LOTR/Hobbit stuff).

But just let me send you my copy of the Extended Edition.

J_Viper

JUST REMEMBER BRONSON ALSO LIKED SUICIDE SQUAD

Nah, I'm only kidding.

Hearing that Kong gets a decent chunk of screen time is great to hear. I was really hoping this wouldn't be another Godzilla '14.

And that spoiler sounds very interesting

I still haven't seen all of the LOTR films

z2zOL3L.gif

What's Brie Larson's character like?

Kinda the normal one. Every character has at least two-three that they interact with primarily. Film has some photo motifs from time to time.

I felt like you just described Jacksons version. It was dark and violent as hell

It wouldn't surprise me. This one isn't all grimdark, but people do die, and hard/

How were John Goodman, Corey Hawkins and Jason Mitchell? Curious about those guys.

I liked Goodman the most. Hawkins has a pretty large role. I don't know who Jason MItchell is.

>_>

Look, I'm no PJ guy myself, (also haven't seen all LOTR/Hobbit stuff).

But just let me send you my copy of the Extended Edition.

Can I keep it?

JUST REMEMBER BRONSON ALSO LIKED SUICIDE SQUAD

WB CUT THE CHECK

Hearing that Kong gets a decent chunk of screen time is great to hear. I was really hoping this wouldn't be another Godzilla '14.

And that spoiler sounds very interesting

I feel Godzilla didn't really do a great job of having him be the main driver of the plot, Kong does a better job

The Flash

Banned
Thanks for your impressions Bronson. I liked Godzilla for what it was but Kong sounds like it's going to the next level. Can't wait :)

Thanks for your impressions Bronson. I liked Godzilla for what it was but Kong sounds like it's going to the next level. Can't wait :)

Now remember, I like some stupid ass movies

I don't think this is one, though. It has a concept and goes in on it but it doesn't insult your intelligence

Only if you like it.

Speaking of movies with beautiful scores, how was this movie's?

So it's Henry Jackman on it, which I didn't know. It's subtle, but I remember liking it during the quiet moments.

One thing I didn't like: Real heavy reliance on licensed music for some bits. Not Squad level but more than normal

Toa TAK

Banned
So it's Henry Jackman on it, which I didn't know. It's subtle, but I remember liking it during the quiet moments.

One thing I didn't like: Real heavy reliance on licensed music for some bits. Not Squad level but more than normal
Eeehhhhhh

I expect nothing then. Hopefully the soundtrack will light it up then if it's used as often as you say.

B33

Banned
I'll fight you.

There's a potentially great movie inside the bloat of King Kong (2005), but Jackson didn't show enough restraint and it's a hard watch. The first act is atrocious in terms of pacing.

Serkis and Watts do excel along with the VFX work.

Nudull

Banned
I still enjoy Jackson's Kong despite its flaws, but I'm ready for a new version. Hoping for solid reviews like Godzilla. :)

The real question for BronsonLee is

1) How long before Sam Jackson becomes Jules, post Big Kahuna burger?

2) Would Adonis fit in this cinematic universe and would Wheeler still hand him his ass?

B33

Banned
I want this movie to be good because I need to see a modern version of Kong and Godzilla teaming up.

Don't let us down, WB and co.

How's the human cast when Kong's not onscreen? I think this was probably one of Godzilla 2014's biggest problems besides him being regulated to a side character in his own movie.

The real question for BronsonLee is

1) How long before Sam Jackson becomes Jules, post Big Kahuna burger?

2) Would Adonis fit in this cinematic universe and would Wheeler still hand him his ass?

Almost immediately and Donnie's spoiled self wouldn't get a chance at a rematch cause he would be d e a d

They're very clear about them not belonging on that island under any circumstance.

I want this movie to be good because I need to see a modern version of Kong and Godzilla teaming up.

Don't let us down, WB and co.

Anecdotal - but I've found, fan/public screening wise, that if WB thinks they have a real winner, they will screen it well in advance. For example, I saw Gravity like a month out, and could've seen it like 3-4 times before the actual release. They pushed that one like a motherfucker cause it was a hard sell.

How's the human cast when Kong's not onscreen? I think this was probably one of Godzilla 2014's biggest problems besides him being regulated to a side character in his own movie.

They're much, much better. Not nearly as robotic as Army Boy.

B33

Banned
Anecdotal - but I've found, fan/public screening wise, that if WB thinks they have a real winner, they will screen it well in advance. For example, I saw Gravity like a month out, and could've seen it like 3-4 times before the actual release. They pushed that one like a motherfucker cause it was a hard sell.

I find this intriguing because from the look of the trailers, as well as the impressions I've seen from you and several people on Twitter, Kong: Skull Island is decent and improves on the mistakes made by Godzilla (2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom