• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
k so spoiler-free for safety. I cannot compare it to King Kong 2005, as I have never seen that movie.

I definitely dug it. Lots of good stuff visually, good grief did they toss a budget at this thing. Cast is absurd - I think it's the most characters for something like this I can remember. Hiddleston is OK. There's a few really good Sam Jackson moments where it's pretty obvious they only had him in mind for that character. All things considered, this is kinda John C. Reilly's movie. A lot of the emotional kicks of the movie are tied to his character, which I liked a lot.

I feel like they definitely saw the criticism for Godzilla about people getting blue-balled with the big monster. Kong's in it a pretty good portion. He fucking wrecks shit. It's glorious as hell.

It's a pretty goddamn violent movie, relatively dark. Shit hits the fan A LOT. There's some humor in it, but not as much as you'd think. Tone of the trailers is pretty accurate, especially the later ones.

Screening was 2D normal, so I can't comment on any 3D or IMAX stuff. I almost always dig WB's blockbusters, so this was a no-brainer. I think this will review OK.

ONLY SPOILER I WILL SAY ABOUT THE FILM IN THIS POST:

Yes, there's a post credit, it's bonkers and meta and all that shit

This director is doing the Metal Gear movie.
Can you advise us on the potential of him accurately capturing the absurd situations in Metal Gear?

John C. Reilly's movie? Well I'm out. Guy is absolutely terrible.
tumblr_n1albcqLHi1sgv55fo1_400.gif

Mr. Sam

The trailers made me cautiously optimistic and--

BronsonLee said:
I feel like they definitely saw the criticism for Godzilla about people getting blue-balled with the big monster. Kong's in it a pretty good portion.

Sold!

God, that movie was tedium defined.

Magnolia
Boogie Nights
Entertainment
Terri
Cyrus
Tim and Eric
Walk Hard
Carnage
The Thin Red Line
We Need To Talk About Kevin

Incredible range on John C Reilly. If you haven't seen these, you wouldn't know.

Get yourself checked out.
giphy.gif

This director is doing the Metal Gear movie.
Can you advise us on the potential of him accurately capturing the absurd situations in Metal Gear?

No clue. This one's a straight up monster jam movie. I have no idea how he'd handle Metal Gear.

I do want to know where the fuck WB found this guy. Nothing on his resume indicates he'd be able to handle a 200 million dollar blockbuster, and real being real, I feel he stuck the landing pretty good, all things considered.

Super surprised that Reilly steals the show. He did not look good in the trailers.

His character has the most plot relevance and is pretty trailer-proofed in that his moments are usually pretty slow.

Here's a link I found that describes the post-credits scene. Don't blame me if you didn't want it spoiled: http://aftercredits.com/2017/02/kong-skull-island-2017/

This is accurate with what I remember.

LosDaddie

Banned
Looking forward to this movie very much. It's probably in my Top 3 most anticipated for the year.

I'll probably try to get a group from work to go next Friday.

Same. He's alright at best.

Thewonandonly

No clue. This one's a straight up monster jam movie. I have no idea how he'd handle Metal Gear.

I do want to know where the fuck WB found this guy. Nothing on his resume indicates he'd be able to handle a 200 million dollar blockbuster, and real being real, I feel he stuck the landing pretty good, all things considered.

Right now why cant they due this with their DC properties. Intead lets meddle the fuck out of it until its a souless hunk of a film. Just let the directors go wild and pray it works.

Okay, so just how big is kong, and is it true that
hes just an adolescent
?

Not sure personally, but as people are talking about a post-credits stinger I bet the final moment is that you find out Kong in this film is tiny and see one of his much larger parents who's of approximate size to Godzilla.

Thewonandonly

You tell me BvS isn't letting a director go wild lol.

Fair enough but that movie was allright for it, and had great action scenes and beautiful cinimotography. It just had shitty dialog and a terrible plot. Yet suiced squad was the biggest piece of shit of a movie I have ever seen. So that is the one I am mostly talking about.

Dominator

Thanks for the impressions Bronson. I feel a connection to you as we were in the same theater for the Civil War early screening in PA, so now we are best friends.

Question Bronson, does it has jokes in climax moments like Marvel movies?

Hmmm..it's not really that kind of a movie?

There's plenty of humor, sure, but it's all in dialogue scenes. When stuff starts going down, they are in deep shit and they know it. There's actually a scene early on where everything's all jokey, but has a really goddamn abrupt stop, full music cut and everything

Thanks for the impressions Bronson. I feel a connection to you as we were in the same theater for the Civil War early screening in PA, so now we are best friends.

HIGH FIVE \o

If you go to more of these say hi, I'm the Asian guy looking like a moron

Raptor

Hmmm..it's not really that kind of a movie?

There's plenty of humor, sure, but it's all in dialogue scenes. When stuff starts going down, they are in deep shit and they know it. There's actually a scene early on where everything's all jokey, but has a really goddamn abrupt stop, full music cut and everything

This is all I needed to read, time to put my team kong avatar!!

:D

How's the monster variety? It's not just Skull Crawlers is it? Is Skull Island just as nightmarish as Peter Jackson's Skull Island with giant leeches and insects?

How was the Chinabait? Was she worth trading over for Matt Damon?

How's the monster variety? It's not just Skull Crawlers is it? Is Skull Island just as nightmarish as Peter Jackson's Skull Island with giant leeches and insects?

How was the Chinabait? Was she worth trading over for Matt Damon?

I think they showed all the monsters in the trailers.

Eh. The only thing that raised my eyebrows was Tencent's logo. Everything else was fine.

Any more impressions from others?

No, I killed them all.

I am wondering where the other impressions are - there was another one in here, but I'm pretty sure this got screened nationwide, the screening I went to was an AMC Stubs one

Looks like it's gonna be a great year for both games and genre movies. John Wick Chapter 2 and Logan already delivered and this looks so much fun as well.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
When will you guys stop listening to Bronson, don't believe his lies.

BronsonLee, how do you get into these kind of screenings?

I get email alerts from a few sites like Advance Screenings and Gofobo. Most big companies have their own sites now too, like WBTickets and SeeItFirst (this is Disney). I also generally get invited to these things through contacts in Philly.

When will you guys stop listening to Bronson, don't believe his lies.

I have never lied in my entire life

Man godzilla gonna be atomic breathen all over kongs ape ass ;)

In a fair fight I really think a comparably-sized Kong would knock the shit out of Godzilla. He was too clunky and didn't really have any fighting style aside from his laser breath. Not only are apes immensely powerful for their size, but also extremely fast and agile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom