• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Critics Consensus:

Maybe it's because I'm 23, but I tried watching the original a while back and.....yikes.

I respect its impact, of course, but anything that wasn't Kong was tough to sit through.
It was an old time black and white film, 1933 was a long ass time ago. It wasn't as bad as the 70's or Jackson one, that shit was a snore fest.

The variety review is very good but spoils the post credit scene so I'm not going to post it.

I'm glad Godzilla got the ball rolling for the Monsterverse but I almost hope they soft reboot Godzilla, the tone of this movie compared to what I considered a misleading tone in 2014 upset me some.

Anecdotal but I have spoken to three people who saw it and say it's better than Jurassic world (which is not saying much, that movie was not that great)

giphy.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Alien / Predator, Jason and Freddy, all came before it.
Hell I would say even the James Bond series

Star Trek and if you want it to cound Universal Monsters were decades before this, Alien and Predator are no Cinematic Universes since the story doesnt match, Jason and Freddy are only in a Crossover.

Star Trek and if you want it to cound Universal Monsters were decades before this, Alien and Predator are no Cinematic Universes since the story doesnt match, Jason and Freddy are only in a Crossover.
Universal Monsters came first as soon as the wolf-man fought Frankenstein, numerous films followed.

Godzilla Showa series was the second cinematic universe with Godzilla, Rodan, Ghidorah, Mothra, Varan, Manda, Baragon all getting their own seperate films and also ending up in Godzilla films.

I count Jason and Freddy ever since Freddy's glove grabbed Jason's mask from the end of that one film and Aliens vs Predator I counted since Predator 2 with the alien skulls on the Predator ship.

But yeah Marvel is like Blizzard Entertainment, they take something pre established and just make it better.

With that said and spoke to a 4th person who saw Skull Island and they raved about it so I can't wait to be there opening night.

Blue Lou

It came out in the UK today.

It was pretty good, not great, but good. I can't buy Tom Hiddlestone as a tough guy. A strong wind could blow him over. It was reminiscent of Adrien Brody in Predators.

There were several weird and wonderful creatures on the island. It reminded me of Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

This is the BBFC insight:

THREAT
Multiple scenes depict characters being chased and attacked by giant fantastical creatures. In one such scene, a character is shown after having been impaled through the mouth by the leg of a giant insect, although there is no strong wound detail on screen. Another tense sequence occurs when characters pilot helicopters through a severe storm.

VIOLENCE
There is moderate fantasy violence in clashes between soldiers and giant creatures, and between the creatures themselves. A character's arm is torn off, but the image occurs in silhouette and there is no strong detail. One creature kills another by pulling out what appear to be internal organs from its mouth. Another character is attacked off screen, resulting in a splash of blood. A character swings a sword at another man who catches the blade in his hands, and we see a small amount of blood leak around his fingers.

LANGUAGE
There is infrequent strong language, including 'f**k' and partially obscured use of 'motherf**ker'. Other, milder terms include 'son of a bitch', 'bastard', 'shit' and 'balls'.

Other issues include a brief and slightly gory image of a human skull, found in the aftermath of an attack by one of the creatures. There are also brief shots of people smoking what appears to be opium in a club.

Tizoc

Got back from watching it an hour ago. I'll just say that the Kong scenes were the best part of the movie. The rest was OK at best, but I was glad to see Kong getting so much screen time.
I did enjoy some of the humor though.

tumblr_m4h6a8iLpk1ru09vqo1_500.gif

Because this scene needs to be remade for future generations.

This man speaks true.

Wish it could but they will be way too big now to do that; maybe swap out a tree for a boat

Pfft, just have them fight someplace where the trees were made gigantic and let him shove it at him.

Tizoc

Do they foreshadow Kong Vs Godzilla?

The word MUTO appears in the film real early in the movie if you look close enough. When they reached 1954 I was rather hoping Godzilla gets a cameo in one way or another but nothing that I noticed
Man 2019 is so far away...

Just got back from the movies, I really didn't like it . I wasn't a fan of any of the characters . Everytime Kong was on screen it was hype but I found all the characters boring and it really seems like no one had a character arc . Sam Jackson , I love the man, but my god was he annoying me the whole movie . It really seems like he just didn't want to act , he said all his lines as if he was talking normally and then had laughable stair downs directly into the camera . It felt at times that the movie was trying to be self aware that he's a badass but nothing about his performance showed bad ass to me.
My impressions from the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom