• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

B33

Banned
Impressions from Ethan Anderton, a writer/editor at /Film.

6DjXwmE.png

Tk8QZSk.png

Blablurn

k so spoiler-free for safety. I cannot compare it to King Kong 2005, as I have never seen that movie.

I definitely dug it. Lots of good stuff visually, good grief did they toss a budget at this thing. Cast is absurd - I think it's the most characters for something like this I can remember. Hiddleston is OK. There's a few really good Sam Jackson moments where it's pretty obvious they only had him in mind for that character. All things considered, this is kinda John C. Reilly's movie. A lot of the emotional kicks of the movie are tied to his character, which I liked a lot.

I feel like they definitely saw the criticism for Godzilla about people getting blue-balled with the big monster. Kong's in it a pretty good portion. He fucking wrecks shit. It's glorious as hell.

It's a pretty goddamn violent movie, relatively dark. Shit hits the fan A LOT. There's some humor in it, but not as much as you'd think. Tone of the trailers is pretty accurate, especially the later ones.

Screening was 2D normal, so I can't comment on any 3D or IMAX stuff. I almost always dig WB's blockbusters, so this was a no-brainer. I think this will review OK.

ONLY SPOILER I WILL SAY ABOUT THE FILM IN THIS POST:

Yes, there's a post credit, it's bonkers and meta and all that shit

can you please spoil the post credit scene? im interested!

I'm not comfortable spoiling the post-credit scene (or any plot details really) publicly. People may roll in and get mad that it got spoiled for them, even though it'll be under tags and shit.

My PMs, however, are wide open.

Edit: Oh my fucking god I lied, they are no longer wide open holy shit

Daingurse

Sounds like this movie will have plenty of monsters on screen. I'm glad they took some feedback from Godzilla. The teasing in that film was irritating.

I'm not comfortable spoiling the post-credit scene (or any plot details really) publicly. People may roll in and get mad that it got spoiled for them, even though it'll be under tags and shit.

My PMs, however, are wide open.

Edit: Oh my fucking god I lied, they are no longer wide open holy shit
How many did you receive in 4 minutes?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Day 1. Is it just me or does Kong just keep getting larger with each passing film?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Samuel L Jackson is a turn off for me. I've seen every movie of his and I think I'm at the point where I can't help but see him as Samuel L Jackson in every movie he's in (even his awful performance in Legend of Tarzan). I'm sure I'll watch this when it's out on video, but I don't see myself dropping $20+ to see him go all Jules again.

FTF

k so spoiler-free for safety. I cannot compare it to King Kong 2005, as I have never seen that movie.

I definitely dug it. Lots of good stuff visually, good grief did they toss a budget at this thing. Cast is absurd - I think it's the most characters for something like this I can remember. Hiddleston is OK. There's a few really good Sam Jackson moments where it's pretty obvious they only had him in mind for that character. All things considered, this is kinda John C. Reilly's movie. A lot of the emotional kicks of the movie are tied to his character, which I liked a lot.

I feel like they definitely saw the criticism for Godzilla about people getting blue-balled with the big monster. Kong's in it a pretty good portion. He fucking wrecks shit. It's glorious as hell.

It's a pretty goddamn violent movie, relatively dark. Shit hits the fan A LOT. There's some humor in it, but not as much as you'd think. Tone of the trailers is pretty accurate, especially the later ones.

Screening was 2D normal, so I can't comment on any 3D or IMAX stuff. I almost always dig WB's blockbusters, so this was a no-brainer. I think this will review OK.

Thank you for this, hype rising!

kswiston

I'll reserve my Kong-sized jokes until the movie is out

Like 10, enough for me to pump the brakes

I'll still answer if someone asks but it'll just be a form answer, legit didn't expect that manu

This thread will likely have over 5-10k page views when it refreshes. It doesn't take a very high percentage of curious people to swamp your inbox.

Glad to read that John C. Reilley's character isn't garbage, his scenes in the trailers weren't doing it for me. The dumb "I called them Skullcrushers because I thought it sounded cool but I just made that up, you can call them whatever you want" exchange really falls flat, that style of humor is really overdone.

I'm excited to see this though, looks pretty awesome from what I've seen.

This thread will likely have over 5-10k page views when it refreshes. It doesn't take a very high percentage of curious people to swamp your inbox.

Imadeahugemistake.gif

What threw me off was it not happening for BvS, though I think that inexplicably had a Spoiler Thread well before it came out

kswiston

Imadeahugemistake.gif

What threw me off was it not happening for BvS, though I think that inexplicably had a Spoiler Thread well before it came out

I don't remember any BvS threads consisting solely of your impression before any other impressions were out though.

How's the human cast when Kong's not onscreen? I think this was probably one of Godzilla 2014's biggest problems besides him being regulated to a side character in his own movie.
Godzilla 2 correcting that wirh the new cast so far

I hope thus movie has tons of gofzilla references.

Godzilla 2 correcting that wirh the new cast so far

I hope thus movie has tons of gofzilla references.

To be fair Godzilla 2014 had a good cast as well.

The problem was they had nothing to work with when Godzilla wasn't onscreen, and they killed off the only interesting character halfway through.

The problem was they had nothing to do when Godzilla wasn't onscreen and they killed off the only interesting character halfway through.
Kyle chandler playing the main scientist
Millie roberts his daughter, vera farmiga as his wife we good

And bronson, nothing wrong with my pm's if you find the time

Thewonandonly

The problem was they had nothing to work with when Godzilla wasn't onscreen, and they killed off the only interesting character halfway through.
Right that was easily the most depressing thing about that movie. I enjoyed it enough tho so I should love this :)

Gravidee

They should rectify that by saying that they gave him a death pill so that he could secretly work for their organization.

Gettin' hype for the MonsterVerse

This makes me way more hype for it than Godzilla did

I had no fucking clue who the director was and it turns out he directed one film, a Nick Offerman comedy special, and then this, but what the fuuuuck he's got the eye

I don't know if I should watch it in China. They usually cut shit out of films even though they already have a rating.

Tencent and Legendary are the main drivers of this so I doubt it's getting touched

Platy

It is about the rumored
cinematic universe
, isn't it ?

Does Samuel L Jackson comes to him to talk about the Kaiju Initiative ? xD

Sounds fun. Was pretty meh about Hiddleston being the main character in this since he's quite bland but it's good to hear that jon c reilly gets a lot of focus too.

I think Jackson's king kong ape looked a lot better but this one makes up for its shortcomings by upping the size. Also that scene in the trailer with him fighting the monsters was straight out of the King Kong vs t rexes fight from Jackson's movie which was cool

Gonna be a fun time at the theaters. You can only do that love story so many times so I'm glad they went for the monster brawl take this time.

yo I saw it too and can back up Bronson, this shit is B A N A N A S. Highly enjoyed it. Really solid kaiju adventure goodness. Pretty much agree with everything said by Bronson, especially how Dr. Steve Brule himself steals the show, naturally. The big man himself though, Kong is a BEAST, he tears the hell out of shit, i'm so glad they gave him a plentiful amount of screen-time. Post credits scene got me hype too. So on board with this MonsterVerse they got going here. Hope this does well and doesn't get overlooked by all the other big movies this month, it's a lot of fun.

banktree

Banned
yo I saw it too and can back up Bronson, this shit is B A N A N A S. Highly enjoyed it. Really solid kaiju adventure goodness. Pretty much agree with everything said by Bronson, especially how Dr. Steve Brule himself steals the show, naturally. The big man himself though, Kong is a BEAST, he tears the hell out of shit, i'm so glad they gave him a plentiful amount of screen-time. Post credits scene got me hype too. So on board with this MonsterVerse they got going here. Hope this does well and doesn't get overlooked by all the other big movies this month, it's a lot of fun.

Any chance of spoiling the post credits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom