• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: the whole MonsterVerse thing, they have two major problems to address IMO:

Kong's size. They actually address this in the movie a bit.
Timeline. Kong takes place in the 70's, Godzilla 2014 took place in modern day. It's impossible to have characters mix it up unless some time bullshit happens. That's dumb.

dcelw540

Timeline. Kong takes place in the 70's, Godzilla 2014 took place in modern day. It's impossible to have characters mix it up unless some time bullshit happens. That's dumb.

My biggest issue is after king Kong vs godzilla what other monsters will become part of this monsterverse? I'd say pacific rim but confirmed it's not part of that universe.

Barely remember details from Godzilla, but isn't that the OG Godzilla's kid or something? or was it alive during WWII when they tried bombing it? Who knows. Maybe they fight in the '80s, probably to Elton John.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Barely remember details from Godzilla, but isn't that the OG Godzilla's kid or something? or was it alive during WWII when they tried bombing it? Who knows. Maybe they fight in the '80s, probably to Elton John.
No, thats one of the japanese Godzillas you are thinking of. I think the second series.

Giant monsters have long lifespans. Second problem solved

Actual gorillas already have 30-40 year lifespans

The only characters that need to cross over are Kong and Godzilla, and they contemporaneously already. We already know in this universe Godzilla was alive during WW2. I don't care if it gets a new cast of human characters.

I'd prefer to see characters from Skull Island return, but can see why that wouldn't be a major concern.

Everyone in Godzilla 2014 can beat it though

dcelw540

I think the Godzilla franchise has plenty of monsters to use.

I get that, but I mean are going to establish new monsters that are separate from godzilla's group? Look at king kong, he was originally a monster established before godzilla and has his own fan base. What other monsters can stand alone that has a dedicated fan base besides godzilla or king kong?

I get that, but I mean are going to establish new monsters that are separate from godzilla's group? Look at king kong, he was originally a monster established before godzilla and has his own fan base. What other monsters can stand alone that has a dedicated fan base besides godzilla or king kong?
Pacific Rim stealth prequel with Ultraman as an early Jaegar prototype

In a fair fight I really think a comparably-sized Kong would knock the shit out of Godzilla. He was too clunky and didn't really have any fighting style aside from his laser breath. Not only are apes immensely powerful for their size, but also extremely fast and agile.

In a realistic fight, Kong would end up no better than the last American Godzilla, and he could out run helicopters. A huge ape really isn't that impressive when you fight giant space dragons and monsters who can fly up to mach 3 on a daily basis.

Kong is going to have be buffed up considerably to even compete by the time the versus movie comes around.

I'm of the opinion that Pacific Rim totally is going to be a part of this universe but they're going to let Kong/Godzilla throw hands first

I'm also not sure this movie will do as well as Godzilla did BO wise

Oh I see, maybe they can get the rights to Gamera lol

I'm of the opinion that Pacific Rim totally is going to be a part of this universe but they're going to let Kong/Godzilla throw hands first

I'm also not sure this movie will do as well as Godzilla did BO wise
Maybe that's how the new Pacific Rim got the go-ahead. Yeah you can do it, but you got to fit Godzilla in there

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Gamera
latest

Of course they have to mine the japanese fandom, cause with Kong they have already all kajius assembled who are popular in the west. And with popular I mean known by not-nerds.

adj_noun

I wouldn't be surprised to see 'em reuse the "look, Godzilla has a brain the size of a diminutive pea, Kong took advanced calculus in elementary school" angle they did in the original KK v G.

adj_noun

I hope Kong loses.

I hope Godzilla loses in the American version and Kong loses in the Japanese version and then years and years later everyone realizes there was only one ending all along and gets pissed because they read a BOOK in GRADE SCHOOL that SAID there was two different endings, goddamit.

I hope Godzilla loses in the American version and Kong loses in the Japanese version and then years and years later everyone realizes there was only one ending all along and gets pissed because they read a BOOK in GRADE SCHOOL that SAID there was two different endings, goddamit.

You want to Clue them!?

I wouldn't be surprised to see 'em reuse the "look, Godzilla has a brain the size of a diminutive pea, Kong took advanced calculus in elementary school" angle they did in the original KK v G.

That was only in the American version, and they pretty much took the only redeeming feature out of that movie the score by Akira Ifukube and replaced it with stock music from Universal's catalog.

You mean this book man?
The greatest book series in all elementary schools in the 80's
Godzilla+(Monsters+Series)+Crestwood+House,+1977+%5Bfront,+soft+cover%5D.jpg

I have this at my parents somewhere.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
My biggest issue is after king Kong vs godzilla what other monsters will become part of this monsterverse? I'd say pacific rim but confirmed it's not part of that universe.

Other than the other Toho monsters, I think WB has the rights to Harryhausen's stuff, if they want to try rebooting those. Or they could use Frankenstein's monster lol.

So how do you think they'll explain Ghidorah in this universe? Will he be a alien, mutant, or just a prehistoric monster?
From the commercials they reference the 1954 bombings
And also I saw one tv spot where they say "you came here looking for a dragon"

Whether that dragon means Godzilla or Ghidorah who we know will probably be in this universe at some point (cause let's be honest Kong's rogue gallery consists of a T Rex, a Squid and Godzilla himself) who knows.

J_Viper

Where are the other impressions and stuff isn't the review imbargo over yet?

Comicbookmovie posted snippets of other reviews, but there are some spoilers on display so I didn't wanna copy + paste them here.

All are positive so far though, worst score is a C from Collider. Bronson redeemed?

Thewonandonly

Comicbookmovie posted snippets of other reviews, but there are some spoilers on display so I didn't wanna copy + paste them here.

All are positive so far though, worst score is a C from Collider. Bronson redeemed?
If it's true that Bronson said suicide squad was good he will never be redeemed ;)

Daingurse

In a fair fight I really think a comparably-sized Kong would knock the shit out of Godzilla. He was too clunky and didn't really have any fighting style aside from his laser breath. Not only are apes immensely powerful for their size, but also extremely fast and agile.

Godzilla has always been a clunky leviathan. I don't give shit how agile or strong Kong is, it matters not because he's getting nuked lol. Hope he has some strong heat resistance! He's gonna need it.

J_Viper

Critics Consensus:
Offering exhilarating eye candy, solid acting, and a fast-paced story, Kong: Skull Island earns its spot in the movie monster's mythos without ever matching up to the classic original.

Maybe it's because I'm 23, but I tried watching the original a while back and.....yikes.

I respect its impact, of course, but anything that wasn't Kong was tough to sit through.

OG Godzilla is excellent, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom