• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku claims Gamepass “burnout”, Xbox responds, gets ratio’ed

Kokoloko85

Hmmm Kotaku scared of that FTC lol. So many people are changing there tone all a sudden.

Especially now theres supposedly a place you can report them………. Guess whos Im gonna report with my spreadsheet :messenger_beaming::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Topher

Gold Member
Also, the author of the article is bad at maths.

As per the article: 2 full price games every 4 months, i-e 6 full priced games a year.

Actuality: 15*12 = 180 i-e 3 full priced games a year.

I guess there's a reason Kotaku is the butt of so many gaming jokes.

You forgot to apply the "ratioed" algorithm.

Spitfire098

I See You Drinking GIF by BrownSugarApp

Fbh

As far as Kotaku shit takes and click baity articles goes this isn't even that bad.
It's not rocket science, for some one of the main appeals of Gamepass is big day 1 exclusives, without them some people will unsubscribe.

I’m embarrassed to say I used to religiously read their website in 2008. Fuck knows what it’s like now. Horrible click bait

My memory might be failing but as someone who visited the site daily around the same time as you I don't think they were always this bad in regards to click bait, shit takes and hyper wokeness.

NickFire

I'm surprised that MS responded to click bait by giving them more click bait fodder. It's pretty much guaranteed that someone needing clicks will now make an article about non-AAA games being the primary justification for it and will cite that tweet from MS in the article. Considering the source of the tweet that MS responded to, they should have highlighted a commitment to no crunch, waiting for games to be polished despite what others say subscriptions will lead to, that they were "publisher of the year", etc. It would not have erased all possible damage that this kind of news article can cause, but it would have boxed in the media who reports on that stuff all the time.

Jaybe

MS should drop some sort of positive news soon to change the social media spiral that’s been going on since the delay announcement. Literally anything to get a the conversation on to something else. The negativity is amped and there’s still 3 weeks to go to the show. Drop some announcement or trailer early.

Yeah. I am not sure when Kotaku started to fall apart. I guess 2 years ago or something?

The shift happened post-gamergate so 2014-ish, and it became much worse after the 2016 US election. Suddenly everyone everywhere was tuned in to politics like a fun TV show and suddenly felt like they were an expert on the subject and wanted to give their takes, including this forum and the other one.

I don't want to go further than that because it's against the rules here and besides I don't like discussing it anyway.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The fact that XBOX replied is absolutely hilarious and kinda weird.
The XboxGP account replies to almost any tweet that mentions them, even randomly saying you just found a new game on GP will at times get you a response from them...........whoever is running that account better be getting paid overtime.

MS should drop some sort of positive news soon to change the social media spiral that’s been going on since the delay announcement. Literally anything to get a the conversation on to something else. The negativity is amped and there’s still 3 weeks to go to the show. Drop some announcement or trailer early.
There were rumors that some interesting announcement might be coming from Sony though. Probably will add more fuel to Twitter debates :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Killer8

It sounds as if hack videogames writers have the privilege of being able to play games 24/7, and as a result have exhausted all the content which no normal person could reasonably get through.

Kacho

Burnout isn’t the right word but I get what they’re going for.

What’s the point of bitching about Game Pass and the lack of AAAs though? Just unsub and rejoin when there’s games you want to play. If you locked up 100 years of Game Pass then that’s on you. That’s why I continue to just buy the handful of games I want to play.

yurinka

can someone please explain to me in simple terms what this "get ratio'ed" idiocy means?

Do I even actually want to know?
Came to ask this.

Now that I know what it means I'm certain social media is causing humanity to regress.

It's a term used by toxic retards to say that a reply mocking a post (in this case a tweet) got more likes than the original tweet that was replying. People only uses it to laugh at who got ratio'ed.

Pretty often this tweet that gets more likes is something also toxic or retarded to get a bigger impact, so "cool kids" (specially accounts with way more followers -often streamers or influencers- than the one of the original post) often reply with toxic stuff to ratio them.

It's basically online bullying, something very unprofessional and unpolite for a professional corporate CM. Even more to mock someone who constantly does free marketing for your brand. As someone who has been working there, I can tell you that in some game companies a CM could be fired for doing this kind of stuff or having this kind of attitude (with the exception of brands with a known naughty brand style like Devolver who could joke about stuff but always in a non hurtful way and only if clearly making a joke).

Last edited:
can someone please explain to me in simple terms what this "get ratio'ed" idiocy means?

Do I even actually want to know?
:messenger_tears_of_joy: It's when someones comment on the tweet gets more likes than the original tweet. The commenting tweet is usually a rebuttal or burn of the original tweet.

It's twitter man, it's weird. It's like ppl's life goals to ratio someone. There are twitter profiles whose only goal is to try and ratio ppl/tweets.

EDIT: I am ashamed that I know so much about this topic...

Last edited:
Without exception, there is nobody in all of gaming media that I detest more than Tom Warren. And that’s saying something when you have the likes of Schreier and Grubb around…

Because at least with the other two you get there sense that they have a brain. Warren basically just memes and spreads his terrible ideas; like his recent tweet where he suggests Xbox should release a dedicated handheld! In this day and age it’s hard enough to manage producing quality content for one console, never mind two.

Last edited:

reksveks

Without exception, there is nobody in all of gaming media that I detest more than Tom Warren. And that’s saying something when you have the likes of Schreier and Grubb around…

Because at least with the other two you get there sense that they have a brain. Warren basically just memes and spreads his terrible ideas; like his recent tweet where he suggests Xbox should release a dedicated handheld! In this day and age it’s hard enough to manage producing quality content for one console, never mind two.
It's basically a Windows version of a steamdeck that he asking for with a better ui than Windows.

I would buy that if it has a TB port.

Last edited:

cireza

Why even respond to Kotaku ?

Xbox answer has 16k+ likes, while the initial Kotaku tweet has 1k+, so this backfired to Kotaku. My guess is that this is what being "ratioed" means.
But unlike many, I have to admit, I am not an expert at social media.

Last edited:

skit_data

Funny thing is that Gamepass reply tweet could be said to a lot of people on this fourm, people who dont seem to think AA and Indie games count or are worth playing or something.
And the irony in that is all the innovation and creativity is in those games, NOT the AAA games.
But it’s still a wierd response to someone more or less saying that the AAA output is lacking, because that is one of the cornerstones of Gamepass.

Microsoft need regular releases. Having a drought for an entire year is bad whichever way you look at it. Imagine if they never bought Bethesda. What would have been their next big exclusive then? The drought would have went all the way to holiday 2023.
Their last first party release was Dec 2021. It's only been 6 months. How many first party games did Sony release between Ratchet and Clank and Horizon Forbidden West? Sometimes there are pauses between major releases. That is how the industry always was. They will all be fine and MS has a showcase next month. Positive they will show games planned for release this year.

anthony2690

Banned
Pretty poor article, but it is Kotaku, so it's to be expected.

This month I've enjoyed eiyuden Chronicles and I'll play Sniper Elite 5 what I'm quite looking forward too after watching a little bit off gameplay (I'll probably play it co op with my other half as she likes the look of it too)

It's just silly fanboys or a couple dudes with a tick I've never even heard off, saying they will unsub due to Starfield and Redfall being delayed, if they were the only games you were subbed for, why would you be subbed 6+ months in advance? Just seems silly to even make statements like that imo, if the games were delayed a month in advanced, I would be understanding off people being a little disappointed/disgruntled though.

Top Bottom