• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lack of hype for Spider-Man 2

Banjo64

cumsessed
I have zero hype for it. It just looks like more of the same and IMO the formula was already growing stale by the end of Miles Morales, some new powers and a bigger city don't look like they'll change the experience too much.
Not to mention it still looks like the same old Ps3 era Arkham design, I can already see the sidequests: "OMG Spiderman Vulture is attacking the balloon parades around the city" --> Map opens up and 10 balloon parade icons appear across the city --> Go do slight variations of the same mission 10 times and maybe at the end you'll get a costume or like a QTE heavy fight against Vulture.
Will get it when it's heavily discounted.

That said I think it will do really well. It will probably review well and people adore Spiderman so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best selling Ps5 exclusive.
Agree with you.

It’ll do well because it’s a safe game and Spider-Man as an IP is a normie gold mine.

Corian33

It’s pretty much an automatic buy for me. Loved the first two games, my son loves Spider-Man. This looks like more of the same but bigger and a little better. That’s all I need to hear.

TheHolyGhost

Neo Member
Because just like the other sequels we've seen like GoWR and HFW it will probably be another extremely safe (no risk) game with minimal improvements in most areas over the previous game.

If only Insomniac had balls and turned the Spiderman Franchise into what Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor is, a game within the spiderverse but new characters, story and gameplay. Its going to be good ol spideyman and the plot is already known.

Last edited:
It’s pretty much an automatic buy for me. Loved the first two games, my son loves Spider-Man. This looks like more of the same but bigger and a little better. That’s all I need to hear.
& i absolutely get this... but, the thing is, this works both ways - what's 'more of all i love' for some is simply 'deja vu' for myself & others...

El Muerto

It's just another Spider Man game. They're fun, but not $70 fun. It's going to be exactly like the previous entries, but with a few extra combos, little bit better graphics, and some new animations here and there.

I liked the original and Miles Morales a lot but to be honest this just looks like more of the exact same.

Feels like an expansion pack rather than a new game. I'll play it whenever it shows up on PS+.

mdkirby

Honestly after initial trailers I try not to watch many more. I just view them as being full of spoilers. I can’t be the only one, and I think it’s somewhat evidenced by the general decline in viewers of subsequent trailers. Many People who want to play it will have been sold on the first trailer and don’t need to see any more. 🤷‍♂️

SenkiDala

I've to say I agree, we're seeing Starfield being VERY HYPE since MONTHS prior to the release, marketing was not so big but everybody talking about it. But for a big licence like SM2 nobody talks about it, almost, I am surprised. The licence that sold the MOST on the PS4, most popular console of last gen, from the most popular console brand PlayStation, coming out on the PS5 the new most popular console, and I dunno, people don't seem excited about it.

And me too. I loved SM1 and Miles Morales, and I'll get SM2, but honestly I can play it 6 months after release I don't care, I am not hurry.

Spider-Man 2 is probably going to be the 3rd best-selling game of the year behind Hogwarts Legacy and Zelda TOTK, but there is a distinct lack of hype and buzz around the game.

The trailers for Zelda hit 16 million from 4 years ago and more recent ones have topped off at 12 million.

Spider-Man 2's reveal trailer had 29 million views on YouTube. The Gameplay reveal from 3 months ago has 16 million views on the PlayStation YouTube channel and another 15 million views on the Marvel channel.

The story trailer from 1 month ago has 13 million views...

So where is the disconnect?

I think it comes down to a few things
  • Despite the successful trailers, Sony really hasn't done much to advertise the game (yet)
  • What we have seen subjectively isn't enough to get excited about
    • It feels like to some that this could have been a sequel on the PS4 albeit there is more detail density and better lighting, nothing we've seen so far suggests this couldn't have been cross-gen
  • I think many of us had the expectation that this would take the PS5 to a new level graphically since it was a major Sony studio
  • The gameplay also doesn't look like anything different

I think one thing the game needs to do really well is tandem Spider-Men. I think we've seen in Spider-Man No Way Home and Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse that there are so many options when it comes to what fighting with tandem Spider-Men can look like and we haven't seen much of that on display in the more recent trailers (the announce trailer had more of it). It can't just be you have the option to play as Peter or Miles.

I'm fully expecting a massive advertising campaign to start probably in about 10 days (the month leading up to release) and it was very similar to God of War Ragnarok, but I'm really hoping this game pushes things further than Ragnarok did.

I think maybe Insomniac hurt themselves with the release of Miles Morales and Spider-Man Remastered. Obviously, not financially, but from an expectations perspective. Obviously, all 3 games are going to chart in the top 20 for October. I strongly think that if they had removed the Mary Jane segments from the first game and some of the more annoying puzzles that they seem determined to put in all of their games, as well as some of the boring side quests and chores, the first game would have been closer to a real GOTY contender (yes I know it was nominated).

They've got a strong template here for Spider-Man 2, but I think the template is what is dampening the hype despite the fact that this game is going to sell 15+ million copies.
i cant wait to see how poorly this ages 😂

bender

What time is it?
I enjoyed Spider-Man and I liked how Miles cut out some of the fat of the original but I think I've had my fill of that formula. A big part of my disinterest is not fault of Insomniacs as I want a new city to explore and expanding the map just isn't going to cut it for me.

Are people really thinking Sony dont know how to market their most popular IP? LMAO

Remember back before PS5 launched and after MS had revealed XSX people on gaf were making threads about how theres no hype for PS5 because no reveal, MS outhyping Sony etc.. Look how that turned out lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They usually start advertising the game 30 days before the release date. There's no reason to do it now that MK1, Starfield, and BG3 are getting a lot of attention.

Sleepwalker

I think it'll outsell CoD, even though it was multiplatform. Spider-Man 2 is going to be the best-selling game in October, November, and probably December. It doesn't have much competition for the rest of the year.

I don't know, CoD will release in november tho so it'll have a few weeks for itself. (FIFA/EAFC) releases on september 29th so most of its sales will probably come in october. Then you have Super Mario Wonder which is guaranteed to sell 10 million like basically every first party switch game. I guess we'll see.

“Spider-Man 2's reveal trailer had 29 million views on YouTube. The Gameplay reveal from 3 months ago has 16 million views on the PlayStation YouTube channel and another 15 million views on the Marvel channel.”

I’m not sure Op, because those numbers definitely don’t indicate a lack of hype behind it…

Real life issues play a part more than ever these days in detracting from that, but
maybe it’s the people you interact with? Maybe on forums?

The people I know are waiting on SM2 more than any other game now that the year is nearly finished.

My point was that despite how many views it has and how well it will still sell, I don't hear anyone talking about it.

People were hyped for Zelda, Diablo, and Baldur's Gate, all sequels, but for some reason not much discussion around Spider-Man, a sequel to one of the best-selling games in history.

That's strange, but I do think it's because it looks like a safe formulaic game and it's the 3rd Spider-Man game in 5 years as someone mentioned.

I don't think anyone is refuting that it is going to sell bonkers, but it doesn't have the buzz that Zelda or Elden Ring had. A game that sells this much usually has a lot of buzz and conversation around it. This game has almost zero. It has even less buzz than God of War did last year.

Virex

Banned
Capeshit is losing popularity again. I like Spiderman but there's been an overdose of capeshit the last couple of years in all form of entertainment. Same thing is happening to Star Wars. These things used to be a treat because we got these games/movies once in a while. Now it's a constant bombardment of capeshit.

I'm sure it will still sell a shitload. But less than Spiderman 1 on PS4

Last edited:
I think it'll outsell CoD, even though it was multiplatform. Spider-Man 2 is going to be the best-selling game in October, November, and probably December. It doesn't have much competition for the rest of the year.
Yuuup and it'll continue to sell for the rest of the generation I don't think we'll see Spider-Man 3 until PS6 launch

I don't know, CoD will release in november tho so it'll have a few weeks for itself. (FIFA/EAFC) releases on september 29th so most of its sales will probably come in october. Then you have Super Mario Wonder which is guaranteed to sell 10 million like basically every first party switch game. I guess we'll see.

CoD tends to peak at some point during the generation. It's a pretty generic release, much more so than Spider-Man. Not saying SM2 definitely outsells it, but if it's anywhere in the ballpark of a 90, SM2 has a very good chance of being #3 or #4 for the year. Mario Wonder will be very high as well, but I don't think as high as Spider-Man 2.

Mario Odyssey did about 26 million copies. I expect Wonder will do worse given that the Switch is dying down. It'll have legs, but I think everyone who buys a PS5 for the holidays is going to buy Spider-Man in North America and Europe. It's going to be the number #1 PS5 game by far.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
My son absolutely loves Spiderman, the movies and the games and he's happy to wait till Xmas to get it, he just didn't see anything Whoaaa to make him want it day1 and personally I thought it looked a bit meh, honestly you could've told me that was running on a Pro and I would've believed you

Capeshit is losing popularity again. I like Spiderman but there's been an overdose of capeshit the last couple of years in all form of entertainment. Same thing is happening to Star Wars. These things used to be a treat because we got these games/movies once in a while. Now it's a constant bombardment of capeshit.

I'm sure it will still sell a shitload. But less than Spiderman 1 on PS4

Spider-Man doesn't wear a cape.

Sleepwalker

CoD tends to peak at some point during the generation. It's a pretty generic release, much more so than Spider-Man. Not saying SM2 definitely outsells it, but if it's anywhere in the ballpark of a 90, SM2 has a very good chance of being #3 or #4 for the year. Mario Wonder will be very high as well, but I don't think as high as Spider-Man 2.

Mario Odyssey did about 26 million copies. I expect Wonder will do worse given that the Switch is dying down. It'll have legs, but I think everyone who buys a PS5 for the holidays is going to buy Spider-Man in North America and Europe. It's going to be the number #1 PS5 game by far.

PS5 only maybe sure, with COD its hard to know, they only reported it took them 15 days to reach 1 billion in sales and that it was the biggest PS store launch ever for the series but no actual copies sold.

FIFA 23 sold 10.3 million copies in its first week last year.

Barakov

Gold Member
The hype definitely seems pretty muted for this one. Maybe it's because we've had quite a few bangers this year so it seems people have learned to pace themselves as far as hype goes, ie. don't get too excited too soon.

There's still over a month before it comes out so I'll think we'll see more excitement in a couple weeks.

SenkiDala

You underestimate kids and teenagers, the game will sell gangbusters
I don't think that's the subject, of course it'll sell, will maybe be the best seller of all the generation for a 1st party game. But just it's true that there's almost no hype about it.

In my opinion it's because it looks too similar from the previous one, the map is the same + 1% extras, and OF COURSE it has to be the same, it's SM after all so yes it is in New York but... It could be in another city, another country... With some moments in NYC since the map is already done since SM1... Yeah for me that's what kills the hype, the game looks very fun, but it looks like an add on to the 1st one, because it is just the same map with 3 new powers or something like this. Not enough to get me excited.

nikos

I’ll get it when it comes to PC but I still won’t really be hyped about it even though I’m sure it’ll be a good game.

Lupin25

You must not be around too many Sonyponies Op ? That’s good.

The hype is not worth it these days.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
You must not be around too many Sonyponies Op ? That’s good.

The hype is not worth it these days.
I feel like these days games get way way way more hyped up by developers, publishers and communities to a point where the hype can never live up to the actual game and people feel angry, sad, make a youtube channel to say "why x games is actually bad."

Games are overhyped these days which leaves most disappointed. There's too many things wrong with the game industry and it's getting worse.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The trailers were underwhelming, and we've had 2 giants just launch. Its been a crazy packed Fall. The game is still going to be amazing. Release day people will be buzzing. I'll likely wait on the game though as Starfield and BG3 have me booked right now.

This fall is seriously amazing. 3 generation defining games within this short period of time. Add Zelda Totk and a Armor Core 6, this year has just been nuts.

Last edited:

Camreezie

This year has had hyped up releases from some of the biggest franchises month to month back to back, thats why

- Final Fantasy XVI
- Street Fighter 6
- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- TLOZ Tears of The Kingdom
- Starfield
- Diablo IV

Bonus round but less big series
- Dead Space Remake
- Baldurs Gate 3
- Armored Core 6

Its a marathon year with tentpole releases everywhere of course some of the games towards the end of the year arent going to have as much attention. Spiderman is dropping in a month with : Assassins Creed , Mario and Alan Wake too

We've also yet to have heavy hitters like Mortal Kombat and Call of Duty. Ridiculously stacked year

Last edited:

ProtoByte

It's not the first game of the year where there's plenty of awareness, but not much palpable excitement.

For me, it's mostly because of how similar it looks to Miles Morales and Spider-Man 1, and how un-inticing the story seems so far. They barely seem to have improved anything, and the additions look like total half-steps. They've added the black suit, but other than the canned specials and maybe one or two moves, it's barely distinguishable from the red suit. They've not upgraded the webswinging at all beyond how fast you can go, and the animation systems honestly don't line up with that type of momentum.

The first problem has no getting around it until and unless Insomniac decides to rip out the foundations for Spider-Man 3. If they wanted the kind of hype the first game or other stuff like TLOU2 or Cyberpunk got, or even what Wolverine might get, they'd need to change up the gameplay and design structure massively. Less Arkham, more Web of Shadows, but even then they'd have to make contemporary enhancements. The open world would have to be a lot more interesting and well designed. Destruction, interiors, interesting side quests full of different villains and other heroes.

Who knows the content of the game, but the mechanical foundations are totally last gen, and limit how that content can be expressed.

Lupin25

I feel like these days games get way way way more hyped up by developers, publishers and communities to a point where the hype can never live up to the actual game and people feel angry, sad, make a youtube channel to say "why x games is actually bad."

Games are overhyped these days which leaves most disappointed. There's too many things wrong with the game industry and it's getting worse.

The “artificial hype”, is like a byproduct of modern extreme fanboyism. It’s a sickness that’s made an even worse impression on devs who have to live up to illogical expectations.

That, and with every publisher’s neck on the line to break even, you’ll continue to see more intentional false advertisement to sell these $70 games.

Top Bottom