• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: Switch 2 to use Orin T239 Nvidia Soc , PS4 and PS4 pro performance Without DLSS

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Gotta ask, is this relative to resolution? The Steam Deck is relatively between a PS4 and a pro at 720/800p, and that goes down a bit to just around PS4 when it enters 1080p territory

If this is actually just a plain PS4 pro, that's insane. the Switch could push 4k in many games including Nintendo games if it were just a plain PS4 pro

nbkicker

This is NINTENDO when was last time they produced a powerful console, specs to nintendo havnt mattered since the gamecube, plus if it still a handheld we not getting a massive boost as nintendo dont make consoles and sell at a loss compared to sony and microsoft,and they not gonna release a £400+ handheld, id love to have a powerfuly nintendo console but i just cant see it, i can see a slight bump in what the switch is now, deffently not as powerful as a steam deck

Last edited:

Xyphie

4nm? Nintendo using TSMC's 4nm? Nintendo? 4nm? NINTENDO?!

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

It's perfectly reasonable. 5nm node will be over 4 years old when Switch 2 ships (first commercial chip was Apple A14 back in 2020). Apple will be more or less fully transitioned to 3nm by fall of 2024 and 3nm CPUs/GPUs will be either released or right around the corner.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yeah, you're really misguided if you think that people are only playing Mario Kart and Pokemon on their Nintendo Switch.
Not really what I said (or think).
But the sales charts speak loud and clear. Mario Kart, Pokémon and Animal Crossing are monstrous sellers. And no doubt the existence of the Switch Lite contributed in no small part to those sales. A $400 system would certainly make not a few of those people pause and ponder for a minute or two before buying the system for those games. Especially when the old ones are still selling and won’t be discontinued overnight when Switch 2 releases.

Anyway, too many rumors again. Nobody is ever 100% spot-on with Nintendo predictions, so let’s wait and see.

Buggy Loop

No such thing as only having single precision. Every GPU can do all three. Half(16), single(32) and double(64).

Anyways, it doesn't matter.I am just saying, from a power and cost perspective, and this being Nintendo, you are not getting a PS4 (1.8TF) GPU in a Switch 2. It could be a 1TF GPu that performs better than a PS4... I dunno, but let's see.

Nintendo ain't driving this, Nvidia is. Just like Nintendo was not driving the tegra X1. Nvidia has other uses for those chips and nintendo picking a custom soc would be stupidly expensive. Is nintendo cheap? Yea? Then its Nvidia driven.

Release an handheld with 60% of Steam deck's teraflops and release 2~3 years later?

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

The cynicism on this forum for anything Nintendo is through the roof.

In a market where its easy and readily available to have powerful (>PS4) and efficient mobile chipsets

With Qualcomm approaching Nintendo for next switch iteration, somehow Nintendo asked Nvidia to be under all of these... but roughly the same chipset price. Snapdragon is so cheap that its entering the Pico 5 & Quest 3 VR headsets which will be in the ~$500 range but with way bigger BOM due to optics and cameras for inside out tracking and AR pass through, etc.

They can fumble, but not fumble THAT hard.

Means those performances native, with DLSS it would improve further. Not that the chipset has no support for DLSS.

Elios83

I definetly expect something around base PS4 level for a Switch 2 in 2024, 11 years after the home console.
PS4 Pro I seriously doubt it, Nintendo won't change their winning formula of cheap hardware with a twist to catch casuals.
DLSS will be important in upscaling the games to make them look good on a big TV in docked mode.

Fabieter

Ps5 is out selling switch this year. Ps4 sold 117 million. Switch selling 150 million Is not kicking the living crap out of it lol

Switch 2 is not gonna have the covid and free money boost in its prime.

Switch also had a massive boost in super casuals jumping in. Do people think those people will upgrade for slightly better graphics for 400 to 500 bucks.

LordOfChaos

Getting a little carried away...

The t234 produces 4Tflops, around the PS4 Pro, at 50 watts. The total Switch running zelda uses 11 watts when charged

If the customized chip is based on it, it will be very downclocked. I'd be happy if it even hit 2Tflops because power needs to drop by a lot. I'd expect close to base PS4, not PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

It never fails. Wiiu insiders saying it's 3 x 360 and switch suppose to be between half the power of ps4 lol.
Lol I remember the Wii U speculation with some vague mumbling on being based on the Power7 chip...Turned out to be that old 750 from the iMac G3, glued in three and given an eDRAM L2 cache. And then the GPU thread and the slow dawning realization that it was lower than anyone had imagined for the year at 160 shaders and 172 Gflops, launching so close to the PS4.

Expect lower with Nintendo so you don't get disappointed...

What is it about it that you don't believe? You think Nvidia just pretended to be hacked?
Eh, everything can be faked, details can be wrong, misunderstandings happen and until I see this particular chip inside the next Nintendo console I don't believe they will use it.

TLZ

Banned
Fake news. The battery is going to limit the performance. PS4 and PS4 pros were literal jet engines.
Those 2 came out in 2013 and 2016. Been quite a while now. Series S is 4tf and came out 2020 is smaller and quiet, 4 years after the Pro. Switch is rumoured to come out 2024. So it's very possible.

Yea... TSMC is not happening. It's either Samsung's 8 nm (which is what Orin is based on) or a simple shrink to Samsung's 5 nm. Can't completely compare to the existing Orin lineup because they have lots of Automotive crap which won't be in this variant.

The one thing that would be nice would be an decompression engine like the PS5.

ckaneo

Those 2 came out in 2013 and 2016. Been quite a while now. Series S is 4tf and came out 2020 is smaller and quiet, 4 years after the Pro. Switch is rumoured to come out 2024. So it's very possible.
The series s is not constrained by a portable battery

tr1p1ex

Lol I remember the Wii U speculation with some vague mumbling on being based on the Power7 chip...Turned out to be that old 750 from the iMac G3, glued in three and given an eDRAM L2 cache. And then the GPU thread and the slow dawning realization that it was lower than anyone had imagined for the year at 160 shaders and 172 Gflops, launching so close to the PS4.

Expect lower with Nintendo so you don't get disappointed...
yeah with the Wii U they spent their money on the Gamepad. With the 3ds they spent it on 3d and continued the dual screens.

With the Switch, much was spent on detachable controllers and the dock.

Woopah

Eh, everything can be faked, details can be wrong, misunderstandings happen and until I see this particular chip inside the next Nintendo console I don't believe they will use it.
I don't think Nvidia would fake their own files so we know that at least at one point Nvidia was working on this chip for Nintendo. Plans could have changed in the last few years of course.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This very likely isn’t all that far off, but people are missing a few pieces here. The Switch 2 will very likely have the same TDP as the original, ~15W. Even if Nintendo got the full fat version of the T239, a 15W cap would significantly reduce the max performance, compared to what some are speculating based on chip specs.

Secondly, it’s likely that, while the SoC could be based around the T239 as a starting point, it’ll almost certainly be pruned down to strip away some superfluous hardware that was initially developed with AI and auto in mind.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I’m expecting about .8 tflops handheldd and 1.6 tflops docked. So about 4x the current Switch. Then dlss 2.1

I’d be very happy with that

This is probably around my expectations as well (though hoping for a docked mode of 1.8-2.0 tflops). I don't believe it'll be PS4 Pro level in docked mode. That seems way too high. Perhaps with DLSS it'll produce image quality comparable to what's possible on PS4 Pro (or maybe even better!) but I don't think its raw performance will be that high.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Reallink

Great points. It will be day one no matter what. Switch has been the best console for years and I'm even counting current gen. Best games hands down for me. Exclusives are amazing. Great hardware and portable.

The magic they deliver with their art design is top tier. It would be nice to have ps4 performance before dlss, as Nintendo could make some mind blowing titles on that.

It's almost inconceivable for a TSMC N4 chip to run at 500Mhz and 1Ghz. The Z1 Extreme GPU on the same node can boost to 2.8Ghz and runs full time sustained at 2.2 - 2.4Ghz, and that's while being hamstrung by a wildly inefficient and overpowered CPU cluster stealing all the power and heat. This would be an almost criminal waste of money and manufacturing capacity, they'd be infinitely better off with N7 or 8N if they want clocks that low. A larger battery would cost a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the price premium they'd be paying for N4

Mobilemofo

Eh. Switch 1 is still kicking the living crap out of every console on the market. ( aside from few months here and there ) Switch 2 is just gonna destroy them if they can keep up with the demand.

its not like the other consoles won't exist in the market because of course they will do. but sales wise ? yeah its not gonna be pretty
I don't think console users will be meithered tbh..Nintendo were doing there own thing time ago. As long as the consoles get the games, everything else is secondary.

LordOfChaos

It's almost inconceivable for a TSMC N4 chip to run at 500Mhz and 1Ghz. The Z1 Extreme GPU on the same node can boost to 2.8Ghz and runs full time sustained at 2.2 - 2.4Ghz, and that's while being hamstrung by a wildly inefficient and overpowered CPU cluster stealing all the power and heat. This would be an almost criminal waste of money and manufacturing capacity, they'd be infinitely better off with N7 or 8N if they want clocks that low. A larger battery would cost a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the price premium they'd be paying for N4

The t234 produces 4Tflops, around the PS4 Pro, at 50 watts. The total Switch running zelda uses 11 watts when charged

If the customized chip is based on it, it will be very downclocked. I'd be happy if it even hit 2Tflops because power needs to drop by a lot. I'd expect close to base PS4, not PS4 Pro.
^^

It has to drop a lot of power to fit in a Switch like form factor. At a larger node it would fare even worse, that doesn't make sense.

Chronos24

I've been saying for years Nintendo could go back to saying "Now you're playing with Power" but this time, the "Power is in your hands" . Money printer but will never happen. I'm guessing the nest Nintendo, be it an upgraded Switch basically will be 2x at best 3x more powerful than current switch. So much potential but they just won't do it.

Reallink

^^

It has to drop a lot of power to fit in a Switch like form factor. At a larger node it would fare even worse, that doesn't make sense.

...The Z1 Extreme (Rog Ally) is the same form factor on the same node. No Nintendo's not going run at 25+ watts in portable mode like the Ally, but 500Mhz is significantly lower than even the Ally's "sleep mode" clock which idles on a blank desktop at 800Mhz. 1ghz docked is even more ridiculous. I'm obviously aware larger nodes are even worse, but they're 3x cheaper to manufacture, hence my battery comment. An 8" tablet is huge and has plenty of space for a massive battery.

Last edited:

Chronos24

I will also say one thing we're not considering here is that we're basing what the PS4/pro were like at time of launch. To get that kind of power which was a decade/6-7 years ago is practically childs play today and wouldn't require as much as it did then. I say it's plausible at least to get that kind of power today and not be battery or wattage hungry with smaller nodes and efficiency.

LordOfChaos

...The Z1 Extreme (Rog Ally) is the same form factor on the same node. No Nintendo's not going run at 25+ watts in portable mode like the Ally, but 500Ghz is significantly lower than even the Ally's "sleep mode" clock which idles on a blank desktop at 800Mhz. 1ghz docked is even more ridiculous.

While I can't find a comparison to the Ally directly, and it is more svelte than the Steam Deck, it also has fancier cooling and while these are comparable form factors, they're not really in comparable cooling and battery sizes

1280x720.jpg

We're also comparing across not just GPU architectures but different GPU companies completely, where RDNA3 does chase higher clocks. I would also hazard a guess that none of these have sleep battery time like the Switch then?

We need to keep in mind how much Nintendo underclocked even the Tegra X1 in portable mode...I think higher expectations are going to be let down. Keep em low and be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

sinnergy

While I can't find a comparison to the Ally directly, and it is more svelte than the Steam Deck, it also has fancier cooling and while these are comparable form factors, they're not really in comparable cooling and battery sizes

1280x720.jpg

We're also comparing across not just GPU architectures but different GPU companies completely, where RDNA3 does chase higher clocks. I would also hazard a guess that none of these have sleep battery time like the Switch then?

We need to keep in mind how much Nintendo underclocked even the Tegra X1 in portable mode...I think higher expectations are going to be let down. Keep em low and be pleasantly surprised.
Keep them low is probably the outcome ..

Buggy Loop

You're getting carried away

I have no clue where that link got 50 Watts, looks shady for a source when it makes the usual "this vs this" charts like some sites do for GPU and CPU, but that make no goddamn sense. On Nvidia's own full specs of Jetson orin, the BEEFIER Jetson AGX Orin 32GB with 1792-core NVIDIA Ampere architecture GPU with 56 Tensor Cores (higher than speculated specs) and 8nm TSMC and a shitload of I/O ports (taking power, but its for automotive/controller business) and is rated for 15-40W. Switch 2 would have Less I/O, less LPDDR5, less cores, better node. Again with the cynicism around here.

Last edited:

Reallink

1280x720.jpg

Important to note Switch 2 is supposedly 8", so by default already much larger than Switch. As you point out the Ally is quite a bit smaller than Steamdeck and in both cases 90% their girth is in the ergo handles and MUCH larger controllers, not the actual tablet guts--which hopefully Nintendo copies, cause the ruler flat smurf handed joycons are objectively terrible. The actual tablet guts portion mirrors most of the Switch's dimensions, save for the thickness. All of which is ultimately immaterial, cause none of these devices are anywhere close to being pocketable.

WRT clocks, Nvidia's 4N GPUs actually run a little higher than AMD's. I know full well Nintendo's going underclock it into the dirt (see my quote on page 1 from yesterday), but these proposed clocks on this node arent just in the dirt, they're penetrating the earths core and coming out in China Looney Tunes style. These represent less than 200Mhz gains over the ancient 20nm Switch 1, and are even lower than the actual Tegra X1's reference clocks. Comical levels of ridiculousness.

Last edited:
Top Bottom