• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

leaked Insomniac inclusivity training video

hyperbertha

Research and cultural Studies is not forced diversity but at least they are trying

It's no different from let's say infinity war/treyarch going to military base and studying the guns and day to day activities of soldiers

Gaming culture overreacts to everything, if insomniac or naughty dog were getting negative reviews and poor sells,I would complain

But so far they have been great at their job, and still getting hate from people who have no idea how to run a company of that magnitude will never not make me laugh.

The games are dope, no harassment complaints, I take no issue with the diversity video. Gamers need to chill

Plus the term "woke" or "wokeness" whether positive or negative is just so corny and outdated, it's 2024 people 😆
Their games are pretty mediocre tho? :pie_roffles: I mean Activision and uni games are pretty popular too. And the term woke is relevant as ever. 😁

Whitecrow

Banned
Research and cultural Studies is not forced diversity but at least they are trying

It's no different from let's say infinity war/treyarch going to military base and studying the guns and day to day activities of soldiers

Gaming culture overreacts to everything, if insomniac or naughty dog were getting negative reviews and poor sells,I would complain

But so far they have been great at their job, and still getting hate from people who have no idea how to run a company of that magnitude will never not make me laugh.

The games are dope, no harassment complaints, I take no issue with the diversity video. Gamers need to chill

Plus the term "woke" or "wokeness" whether positive or negative is just so corny and outdated, it's 2024 people 😆
Where do you think they do their research? Who do you think they ask?

Smart people with knowledge with interest in truth? Or entitled people only interested in virtue signaling and no interest in reality?

Researching is not bad.
Terribly biased "research" is trash tho.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Mediocre? ok, lets all pretend their games don't average like 89 on Metacritic and they don't sell millions if not 10s of millions of copies because you cant be objective due to your political predisposition, yes, very mediocre.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

You are just as delusional as the "woke" brigade, you deserve each other as you're both allergic to facts and numbers.
Hahaha we got another both-sider. You'll Learn.

yanhash

Where do you think they do their research? Who do you think they ask?

Smart people with knowledge with interest in truth? Or entitled people only interested in virtue signaling and no interest in reality?

Researching is not bad.
Terribly biased "research" is trash tho.
I don't know, I don't think I am qualified enough to understand the inner workings of a modern day AAA studio, my issue is gamers reacting like the video was about a child labour camp at insomnia or something. So far the games have been bangers and now the neogafers foaming at the mouth at any hint of "woke" culture are now gonna pull out pitch forks for anything insomniac not basing it on the merits of the games they release but on this video, Woke and anti-woke are the same people, and both sides are ridiculously delusional.

Whitecrow

Banned
I don't know, I don't think I am qualified enough to understand the inner workings of a modern day AAA studio, my issue is gamers reacting like the video was about a child labour camp at insomnia or something. So far the games have been bangers and now the neogafers foaming at the mouth at any hint of "woke" culture are now gonna pull out pitch forks for anything insomniac not basing it on the merits of the games they release but on this video, Woke and anti-woke are the same people, and both sides are ridiculously delusional.
Do you think its ok to indoctrinate people as long as you provide some entertainment?

Games are entertainment, not political propaganda platforms or reminders of real world problems, which most grown up people is sick and tired of hearing.

If anyone wants that, they already know where to find it

Finding that BS in your entertainment sucks big fucking time. It's no joke.

Last edited:

yanhash

Do you think its ok to indoctrinate people as long as you provide some entertainment?

Games are entertainment, not political propaganda platforms or reminders of real world problems, which most grown up people is sick and tired of hearing.

Its not indoctrination. its reflection of out times and consumer habits.

Not political propaganda?
oh boy dunk GIF

Star Wars? Metal Gear? Call of Duty? Wolfeinstein? GTA? Naruto? Avatar(James Cameroon)? Any book by John Steinback or Cormac Mcarthy? Barbie? Openheimer? The witcher? Cyberpunk?

You might have to look at a blank wall for the rest of your life if you want a game/entertainment without political propaganda, there is no story without pathos. Good vs Evil is a story as old as time and it will always be political

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

If they had cancelled or refused to modify Spider-Man 2 for the Middle East I would be hugely proud of them and respected them (regardless of what my own beliefs are in relation to the content itself).

As it is they didn’t and removed it, which to me shows they are hypocrites In relation to the beliefs they so seem adamant on pushing onto us with their products. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters to them is money.

Whitecrow

Banned

oh boy dunk GIF

Star Wars? Metal Gear? Call of Duty? Wolfeinstein? GTA? Naruto? Avatar(James Cameroon)? Any book by John Steinback or Cormac Mcarthy? Barbie? Openheimer? The witcher? Cyberpunk?

You might have to look at a blank wall for the rest of your life if you want a game/entertainment without political propaganda, there is no story without pathos. Good vs Evil is a story as old as time and it will always be political
Wokeness is the reflection of the delusions of some individuals, not the reflection of current times, and sure not a good vs evil story.

Wtf are you talkint about

yanhash

Wokeness is the reflection of the delusions of some individuals, not the reflection of current times, and sure not a good vs evil story.

Wtf are you talkint about
What I'm talking about is the fact that that these companies don't care about our feelings, and by delusion I mean any group of people thinking these companies care.

If a certain demographic is more likely to consume video games,they will pour all their resources into that, if sells and reviews are on point, nothing else matters. Delusion is thinking our problems with them are bigger than their money making problems

geary

If they had cancelled or refused to modify Spider-Man 2 for the Middle East I would be hugely proud of them and respected them (regardless of what my own beliefs are in relation to the content itself).

As it is they didn’t and removed it, which to me shows they are hypocrites In relation to the beliefs they so seem adamant on pushing onto us with their products. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters to them is money.
This…Now the discussion can end.

Neon Xenon

Nah, sure it's, over used and misused at times. But the term "woke" being Judo-ed into a label for the mind virus that is the social justice movement/industry/religion has helped more people understand and see what's happening to modern culture. Identifying and labeling a problem is the first step towards actually resolving it. To throw that out now simply because it can cause some confusion would be foolish.

Something that I didn't mention before (and should have) is that I'm simply bored with seeing this word, which is where my original post is coming from. And you did acknowledge that it's overused and misused. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for criticizing performative activism in media, especially when it's badly written and or ham-fisted, making actual progressive aspects come off as more condescending than anything else. But I think people need to get more comfortable with the idea of going into detail as to why that's bad instead of saying the word "woke" and leaving it at that.

When views on race and gender take on the worst characteristics of religious extremism, including being intolerant, judgmental, and censorious, and also prone to ostracism, sanctimony, hypocrisy, justification of cruelty, etc

If you have another word to describe this mindset, please suggest it. If you want people to stop using the term because it doesn't have a universally agreed upon definition, then I'm sorry, but that's just the nature of language. That said, I usually avoid the word as well, because it is divisive and generally makes people defensive.

You're right that this is the nature of language, just as much as it's worth pointing out how cancerous the nature of language can be. And while you've provided a detailed definition, I don't see the general public accepting that and instead just going with their own surface-level interpretations. It's optimistic, but I don't see that happening.

This response is getting off-topic (sort of), so I'm leaving this subject here.

simpatico

Something that I didn't mention before (and should have) is that I'm simply bored with seeing this word, which is where my original post is coming from. And you did acknowledge that it's overused and misused. Don't get me wrong: I'm all for criticizing performative activism in media, especially when it's badly written and or ham-fisted, making actual progressive aspects come off as more condescending than anything else. But I think people need to get more comfortable with the idea of going into detail as to why that's bad instead of saying the word "woke" and leaving it at that.

You're right that this is the nature of language, just as much as it's worth pointing out how cancerous the nature of language can be. And while you've provided a detailed definition, I don't see the general public accepting that and instead just going with their own surface-level interpretations. It's optimistic, but I don't see that happening.

This response is getting off-topic (sort of), so I'm leaving this subject here.
Woke is just a contraction. So we don't have to re litigate the whole thing every time someone wants to make a critique about it. Everyone knows what it means when you say it.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Woke in a very simple term:

There is always a group of victims versus a group of Victimizers. Insert (Weight, race, Sexuality religion,etc) Almost everyone woke also likes to argue over pronouns. In the West the white man is mostly the victimizer. I believe it's all bullshit but you can't argue with those people.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

oh boy dunk GIF

You can't even tell the difference between a story thats political propaganda and a story that uses politics as part of the stage.

"The communists defeated the bourgeoisie, installed the so ever sought after human utopia and Mr. Akaki lived happily ever after." -> Propaganda. Delusional. Not based off reality. Disingenuous narrative that solely intends to instill a specific ideological position and brainwash readers rather than create any sort of reflection or drama.

"The communists toppled the corrupt corporations, unfortunately the utopia Mr. Akaki desired never came. What followed were years of conflict, assassinations and a leadership that ultimately was no better than what came before." -> Informed political position based off history and reality. Use of politics to tell a narrative, create drama and indirectly inform the reader about the realities of historical processes.

Last edited:

Elginer

I thought the first Spidey had a much better story, perhaps it had to do with it not having pandering and political stuff shoved in every corner of the world. I had enough when I came to a side-mission that I had to help some gay dude get dick. I was like ok, this has gone far enough. What the hell does this have to do Spiderman at all. I hope Insomniac learns from this and this whole movement just dies out soon enough. It's ruining things, not helping.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Bruh, so you thought a company today would be the same company from 23 years ago.

These companies are not our friends, whether they sell cup cakes, gas or videogames, it's about balancing profits with consumer interest.

These companies hire people more qualified than us and as long as they do the numbers, they don't owe us shit, facts
Shit takes.

Dr_Ifto

Entertainment for whom? Without the diversity inclusion, its not entertainment for a large segment.

Was it it your face for SM2? Yeah, but thats only cause you arent used to it. These people exist. This game is what NYC is. It felt more like NYC than any other game Ive played.

Whitecrow

Banned
Entertainment for whom? Without the diversity inclusion, its not entertainment for a large segment.

Was it it your face for SM2? Yeah, but thats only cause you arent used to it. These people exist. This game is what NYC is. It felt more like NYC than any other game Ive played.
Those who cant get entertained without inclusion, have severe disorders that need to be trated. Diversity and inclusion is a patch that solves absolutely nothing.

It's nothing more than a distraction to avoid facing the actual issues.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Those who cant get entertained without inclusion, have severe disorders that need to be trated. Diversity and inclusion is a patch that solves absolutely nothing.

What are those issues?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The religion of the left and the docterine that has destroyed our entertainment for the past 10 years.

The game got a 91 Metacritic score and sold 5 million copies in 10 days. So "destroyed" is a bit much there. Seems you are on the wrong side of what people like.

Diversity and inclusion is a reality. It's not a patch.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Do some introspection and find out. I'm sure you're not free of truths you dont wanna see in order to have more peace.
Im not one that needs them, I just dont mind them. Also, being vague just means you dont know and are just making a strawman argument and cant answer in good faith. Thats fine. You dont have to. I dont mind the inclusion, and i never felt like anything was out of place.

Tams

The game got a 91 Metacritic score and sold 5 million copies in 10 days. So "destroyed" is a bit much there. Seems you are on the wrong side of what people like.

In some places.

And often, the two are not compatible.

Whitecrow

Banned

When you need it for your problems to be solved, yes, it's a patch. AND when you write characters which defining traits are who they go to bed with and the color of their skin, yes, IT'S A PATCH.
And when you think characters need to be like you in order to entertain you, you have a disorder, because you're purposely closing your eyes to the reality that most people never cared about what their favourite characters were or their color.

Im not one that needs them, I just dont mind them. Also, being vague just means you dont know and are just making a strawman argument and cant answer in good faith. Thats fine. You dont have to. I dont mind the inclusion, and i never felt like anything was out of place.
I'm vague because I'm not a doctor. But have been struggling a lot with mental health just for having undiagnosed adhd, to know how a bad mental health can distort your perception.

If you see a friend getting his social life totally erased for puting the dick in the wrong place, what do you think it would be the best for him? Tell him he did ok and countinue down that path? Or warn him of what he is doing, even if it pisses him off?
This is the same.

People with problems may think they need something, but what they need in reality is a totally different thing. This is psicology 101.

And part of helping people, is letting they know they might be wrong on their reasonings.

Last edited:
A black lead and a female president especially in a futuristic setting is not "woke", y'all just throw the term around and its completely lost it's meaning. Is The Fifth Element woke too?
The problem with that is if The Fifth Element came out today, people would legitimately doubt it's artistic integrity because modern media has thrown this concept out of the window. And that is extremely sad.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Diversity and Inclusion when related to DEI never means those things. It is not about bringing people together but about celebrating immutable characteristics in lieu of personalities and actions, usually from a very small section of humanity. If you are Asian, Jewish, Indian, or many other groups - you aren’t included in this cult like racist ideology.

Someone should make a videogame directly infused with Frank Frazetta energy - just a totally transgressive piece of art that gives all this modern woke shit the finger. Reconnect to real fantasy and adventure and science fiction. Jolt the entertainment industry out of its "put a chick in it and make it lame and gay" stupor. Put all this Insomniac shit to shame.

N3btpMj.jpg

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Someone should make a videogame directly infused with Frank Frazetta energy - just a totally transgressive piece of art that gives all this modern woke shit the finger. Reconnect to real fantasy and adventure and science fiction. Jolt the entertainment industry out of its "put a chick in it and make it lame and gay" stupor. Put all this Insomniac shit to shame.

N3btpMj.jpg

Just received the official Frank Frazetta book. It’s a 6.5kg monster. God tier stuff.

iu

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just received the official Frank Frazetta book. It’s a 6.5kg monster. God tier stuff.

iu
I was eyeing that one since all the Taschen XXL books were half off for the holidays. But since I’m not that familiar with his work I went with Raphael, Gustav Klimt, Hieronymous Bosch, and Rembrandt instead. The giant Taschen books are great coffee table centerpieces.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Insomniac has become boring and unoriginal. This is just another example of them falling hard these last several years by indoctrinating this bullshit into their employees. Is it any wonder why their leaked title roadmap is nothing but Superhero games until 2029? Open world Spiderman-ish type stories where it's super easy to put this nonsense in subtle and not so subtle ways.

They turned Ratchet into a pansy in his last game and unless things change, i imagine they'll double down on that direction for the next mainline Ratchet title in 2029 (more likely later). Like others have said, i hope they fail and fail hard.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When you need it for your problems to be solved, yes, it's a patch. AND when you write characters which defining traits are who they go to bed with and the color of their skin, yes, IT'S A PATCH.
And when you think characters need to be like you in order to entertain you, you have a disorder, because you're purposely closing your eyes to the reality that most people never cared about what their favourite characters were or their color.

- Yes adding diversity to solve problems is stupid. It won't solve one problem ever.
- How would you know "the reason" a creative made a black, Asian, or gay character though?
- What if people in everyday life connect to characters that are like us, which helps with us be entertained by the product?

For example what if a gamer of African descent connects with the newly annouced Tales of Kenzera: Zau game?

fa16fc6697aaf9f6c636b3629d293a451a0535a1.gifv

ss_21237ba71847e29809a3b5732baebddea8b8dfcd.1920x1080.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was eyeing that one since all the Taschen XXL books were half off for the holidays. But since I’m not that familiar with his work I went with Raphael, Gustav Klimt, Hieronymous Bosch, and Rembrandt instead. The giant Taschen books are great coffee table centerpieces.
Wow, that’s an amazing haul. Very tempting. I try to buy books of artists when seeing an exhibition, only way I seem to be able to remember them well. There are incredible exhibitions of Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat in Los Angeles at the moment, both have really good books on sale there.

N3btpMj.jpg
dude! i've been dreaming of an open-world tarzan game forever:

3a86194db0c925b1c0fd7e012133864c.jpg

Last edited:

jayj

Banned

This comes off as a toxic mindset. Like how can entertainment not be entertaining for "a large segment" if it's not appealing to political ideals? Sounds like a projection.

I don't like to make a fuss over this kinda stuff, but some people seem to make a fuss if it's not front and center.

Last edited:

Fake

GTAV... still... selling...

You use the word 'reality', but don't understand the meaning.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Looks like we've got ourselves a reader.

Last edited:
Top Bottom