• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

leaked Insomniac inclusivity training video

Sinfulgore

- What if people in everyday life connect to characters that are like us, which helps with us be entertained by the product?
I think all people connect with people who are like us or have traits we admire. The problem with this diversity and inclusion stuff is that it perpetuates the idea that you are like people who share your skin color, gender, or sexual orientation which isn't true. It also leads to bad stories and uninteresting characters because many creatives today think your race or gender is a personality trait and focus on that.

CGNoire

Entertainment for whom? Without the diversity inclusion, its not entertainment for a large segment.

Was it it your face for SM2? Yeah, but thats only cause you arent used to it. These people exist. This game is what NYC is. It felt more like NYC than any other game Ive played.
People who absolutely need to see people who look like them to be entertained are fucking Racist Narcicists. We shouldnt pay those self involved weirdos any attention.

Yoboman

I think all people connect with people who are like us or have traits we admire. The problem with this diversity and inclusion stuff is that it perpetuates the idea that you are like people who share your skin color, gender, or sexual orientation which isn't true. It also leads to bad stories and uninteresting characters because many creatives today think your race or gender is a personality trait and focus on that.
I agree with the last part but if people didn't care about identifying with the characters then this thread wouldn't be 25 pages long, it would be considered a non issue

Yoboman

If Shakespeare had to go through this before being allowed to publish his plays, he would probably just quit the stage. A group of social studies commissars messing your world and characters to fit their utopian models.
Idiotic comparison

1) Shakespeare was only ever published after his death by his actors John Heminges and Henry Condell. It went through many years of editing, updating and reorganising to make sense of work which was largely relegated to play scripts without published copies or variations on the same play with inconsistencies. And there is a bunch of scholarly speculation that other playrights were involved in the editing process of his work

2) In his time. All scripts were approved and of course censored of morally or politically undesirable material by the Office of Revels on behalf of the royal family

In 1642 after his death his plays were outright banned and only allowed to return with heavy censorship, and plays got banned and changed multiple more times through history

3) Lastly it's funny to bring up Shakespeare, when it is Republicans banning literature

CGNoire

Idiotic comparison

1) Shakespeare was only ever published after his death by his actors John Heminges and Henry Condell. It went through many years of editing, updating and reorganising to make sense of work which was largely relegated to play scripts without published copies or variations on the same play with inconsistencies. And there is a bunch of scholarly speculation that other playrights were involved in the editing process of his work

2) In his time. All scripts were approved and of course censored of morally or politically undesirable material by the Office of Revels on behalf of the royal family

In 1642 after his death his plays were outright banned and only allowed to return with heavy censorship, and plays got banned and changed multiple more times through history

3) Lastly it's funny to bring up Shakespeare, when it is Republicans banning literature
Republicans arent banning anything. There "preventing" youth from being exsposed to explicit adult content thats inappropriate for there age. School dont allow Playboy mags on there shelves. I guess that equals censorship to you as well?

Yoboman

Republicans arent banning anything. There "preventing" youth from being exsposed to explicit adult content thats inappropriate for there age. School dont allow Playboy mags on there shelves. I guess that equals censorship to you as well?
Yeah legislation that has resulted in the banning of Stephen King, Tolstoy, Huxley, Hemingway, Frank Herbert, George RR Martin in Florida public schools is really helping kids

Keep drinking the Kool aid

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If they had cancelled or refused to modify Spider-Man 2 for the Middle East I would be hugely proud of them and respected them (regardless of what my own beliefs are in relation to the content itself).

As it is they didn’t and removed it, which to me shows they are hypocrites In relation to the beliefs they so seem adamant on pushing onto us with their products. And at the end of the day the only thing that matters to them is money.

This is my main issue.

Stick by your vision, a product doesn't have to be for everyone. If your company really believes this stuff then stand by it.

I am / was a big fan of insomniac but I've lost a lot of respect for them over this shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for all the diversity stuff being jammed into everything the past 10 years, you can tell right off the bat the diversity being pushed is also discriminatory too.

I dont know what it's like in other countries, but in Canada/US the diversity push seems similar, which is often to pushed to gaming too --> the diversity push is skewed heavy to Black people.

Where's all the Latinos, Native and East Indians, and Asians when it comes to diverse media or character sets in gaming? Just a reminder for demographics, USA is 13% Black and Canada is 4% Black.

Last edited:
Yup - also, we feel these stories are false at a very profound level because they try and subvert deep-rooted historical, cultural and psychological archetypes. You see that with something like the Lord of the Rings, which represents the archetypes and rings true, and Amazon's Rings of Power, which sees those archetypes as racist and sexist or even too Christian or "Western" and tries to overturn them. The one rings true and the other rings totally false - except to people in the thrall of woke DEI ideology. Disney is another good example - used to represent the archetypes, now it tries to subvert them.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Yeah legislation that has resulted in the banning of Stephen King, Tolstoy, Huxley, Hemingway, Frank Herbert, George RR Martin in Florida public schools is really helping kids

Keep drinking the Kool aid
After posting this I will look up what "titles" are being omitted and what the "controversal" content is since just listing famous "authors" by itself tells me nothing about these books.

I will say however concerning Steven King. Didnt his book IT contain a child gang rape scene? Are you ok with your children reading that just because as you point out its just "Steven King"?

Last edited:
After posting this I will look up what "titles" are being omitted and what the "controversal" content is since just listing famous "authors" by itself tells me nothing about these books.

I will say however concerning Steven King. Didnt his book IT contain a child gang rape scene? Are you ok with your children reading that just because as you point out its just "Steven King"?

It wasn't rape and there are worse things in that book than kids fucking lmao

Last edited:

CGNoire

It wasn't rape and there are worse things in that book than kids fucking lmao
Is it appropriate reading for an elementary school? Alot of these so calles "bans" arent even referring to books being removed from all grade levels. In fact a good chunk have been limited to older students or now require a parents approval not banned or removed. But that fact isnt politicaly convenient as the headline "Backwards Florida's at it again" click,click,click,click ...click.

Is it appropriate reading for an elementary school? Alot of these so calles "bans" arent even referring to books being removed from all grade levels. In fact a good chunk have been limited to older students or now require a parents approval not banned or removed. But that fact isnt politicaly convenient as the headline "Backwards Florida's at it again" click,click,click,click ...click.

I'm not american so i'm not caught up on the book bans over there, but just looking them up these are affecting even high school and possibily university, not just elementrary

Last edited:

CGNoire

I'm not american so i'm not caught up on the book bans over there, but just looking them up these are affecting even high school and possibily university, not just elementrary
Yes Im sure they have removed some from highschool. The question we should be asking them is why and not waste time listening to those who are ideologicaly opposed to them to tell us "why they really did it". Thats just foolish.

I was eyeing that one since all the Taschen XXL books were half off for the holidays. But since I’m not that familiar with his work I went with Raphael, Gustav Klimt, Hieronymous Bosch, and Rembrandt instead. The giant Taschen books are great coffee table centerpieces.
Nice. Recommending M.C. Escher if you ever stumble across one of his books. Dunno if his style is something that would appeal to you unless you got one of his books already.

CGNoire

I was eyeing that one since all the Taschen XXL books were half off for the holidays. But since I’m not that familiar with his work I went with Raphael, Gustav Klimt, Hieronymous Bosch, and Rembrandt instead. The giant Taschen books are great coffee table centerpieces.
I dying to get my hands on that Frazetta book. Too bad about the infighting his children have engaged with over his paintings since his death. Theres still a number of his famous works that arent included in the book because of that. :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GTAV... still... selling...

You use the word 'reality', but don't understand the meaning.

Reality is reality. We all know what that means. What does GTA 5 have to do with this topic?

I agree with the last part but if people didn't care about identifying with the characters then this thread wouldn't be 25 pages long, it would be considered a non issue

EXACTLY!!!

Idiotic comparison

Great point!

MY GOD!!!! Some of yalls are literally becoming the things you hate. The bolded is 100% false. They are purely censoring content in schools. Especially in Florida.

- ”Fountainhead” by Ayn Rand
- Watchmen by Alan Moore
- Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
- The Westing Game by Beatrice Davis
- Esperanza Rising by Hykue Danneberg

And these books aren't just banned in Elementary school, but in middle and high schools too. If you are upset about this inclusivity training.....then how can these book bans not make you more upset?

Last edited:

NickFire

MY GOD!!!! Some of yalls are literally becoming the things you hate. The bolded is 100% false. They are purely censoring content in schools. Especially in Florida.

- Watchmen by Alan Moore

And these books aren't just banned in Elementary school, but in middle and high schools too. If you are upset about this inclusivity training.....then how can these book bans not make you more upset?

Over several years of interacting with you on GAF I have observed two things in particular. One is that you are an insightful poster who I enjoy conversing with. The second is that we have very different views on some of the social stuff.

With respect to the bolded, I agree with you 100%. One of the things I really like about this site is that we have people of different views. It's very important that we help each other, in society, put brakes on those damn pendulums.

cormack12

Gold Member
Over several years of interacting with you on GAF I have observed two things in particular. One is that you are an insightful poster who I enjoy conversing with. The second is that we have very different views on some of the social stuff.

With respect to the bolded, I agree with you 100%. One of the things I really like about this site is that we have people of different views. It's very important that we help each other, in society, put brakes on those damn pendulums.
864695e5-c6a6-4288-88bd-224cfcd6cfea_text.gif

Fake

Reality is reality. We all know what that means. What does GTA 5 have to do with this topic?

Try playing GTAV and see what this game is about it.

If someone can use sales as a counter argument for any discussion, can't understand why using other game sales can be used as well.

Is like people saying progressive/liberal stuff is the way to be because the movie Barbie sold a lot, but ignoring all the others flops happen in 2023.

If still smokes and fog to you, just a little but important reminder that Spider-Man IP is Spider-Man IP no matter how much you try to spin this fact. Would sell a lot or the same even if the game was sexist or having sex appeal to male target, even if made bad or offensive jokes like GTAV did and besides being a very old game, GTAV is still top charting and selling like not even Spider-Man would sell in his life.

In fact, Marvel Spider-Man 2 is selling less than the first Marvel Spider-Man comparing the same lapse of time, so again, why are you using metacritic score and sales as a some sort of counter argument?

Last edited:

Sinfulgore

I don't agree. This thread is 25 pages long because most people here are making fun of how dumb this inclusivity training video is. No company needs stuff like this. I haven't read every comment here but I haven't seen anyone claim they care about identifying with characters. Most people just want to be entertained and you don't need to feel represented or identify with a character to be entertained.

It's an issue because it's almost impossible to make good stories or characters when you are constantly worrying about trying not to offend someone. That's what these inclusivity trainings are really about, how can we help you not get backlash on Twitter. What's sad is that the people who get offended by every little thing on the internet aren't even customers so its all for nothing. It's like Chick-fil-A paying a consultant to help them pander to vegans, completely pointless.

CGNoire

EXACTLY!!!

Great point!

- Watchmen by Alan Moore

And what inappropiate material is claimed to be in those works?
what are the lines or passages they dont want them to have access to too?
Is every book on the list you linked banned or do some of them require a parents consent?
These are the questions that should be asked first?
Do you know any of this?

your own link also mentions these books where "preemptively" removed by the schools themselves to avoid a potential lawsuit from the state until they can have a review board go over them all at which point they may get returned to the school library. Its in your own link?

Last edited:

NickFire

It's an issue because it's almost impossible to make good stories or characters when you are constantly worrying about trying not to offend someone. That's what these inclusivity trainings are really about, how can we help you not get backlash on Twitter. What's sad is that the people who get offended by every little thing on the internet aren't even customers so its all for nothing. It's like Chick-fil-A paying a consultant to help them pander to vegans, completely pointless.
Hogwarts says you are spot on with the bolded.

mckmas8808

Try playing GTAV and see what this game is about it.

If someone can use sales as a counter argument for any discussion, can't understand why using other game sales can be used as well.

Is like people saying progressive/liberal stuff is the way to be because the movie Barbie sold a lot, but ignoring all the others flops happen in 2023.

If still smokes and fog to you, just a little but important reminder that Spider-Man IP is Spider-Man IP no matter how much you try to spin this fact. Would sell a lot or the same even if the game was sexist or having sex appeal to male target, even if made bad or offensive jokes like GTAV did and besides being a very old game, GTAV is still top charting and selling like not even Spider-Man would sell in his life.

In fact, Marvel Spider-Man 2 is selling less than the first Marvel Spider-Man comparing the same lapse of time, so again, why are you using metacritic score and sales as a some sort of counter argument?

Did you just make this up? Spiderman 1 sold 3.3 million in 3 days. Spiderman 2 sold 2.5 million in 1 day. And 5 million in 10 days. And it's used as a counterargument when people say stupid things like "Go woke, Go Broke". And then called Spiderman 2 woke, but then won't acknowledge why it didn't go broke.

I don't agree. This thread is 25 pages long because most people here are making fun of how dumb this inclusivity training video is. No company needs stuff like this. I haven't read every comment here but I haven't seen anyone claim they care about identifying with characters. Most people just want to be entertained and you don't need to feel represented or identify with a character to be entertained.

The bolded may be the best point in this thread. Ultimately this is where Insomniac "COULD" be going wrong. Stop trying to not offend. You're fine! You'll be fine! Stop caring about what Twitter says. Talk to real consultants to get things right, but do it for the sense of accuracy and not fear of backlash.

And what inappropiate material is claimed to be in those works?
what are the lines or passages they dont want them to have access to too?
Is every book on the list you linked banned or do some of them require a parents consent?
These are the questions that should be asked first?
Do you know any of this?

your own link also mentions these books where "preemptively" removed by the schools themselves to avoid a potential lawsuit from the state until they can have a review board go over them all at which point they may get returned to the school library. Its in your own link?

I don't think you understand. That's the law at work. The law was created to do the bolded. That's the point! The point is to create craziness and to get books banned by trying to avoid lawsuits. It's the new tactic that politicians are using now.

Last edited:

Fake

Did you just make this up?

Yup.

Just had to delete the follow-up tweet. Physical launch sales of Spider-Man 2 is significantly down on Spider-Man 1. But digital acceleration since 2018 means it isn’t possible to draw any conclusions until the download data is in

If I would guess, PS4 install base vs PS 5 install base.

And Spider-Man 2 sold 20% less than God of War: Ragnarok too.

Last edited:

And sometimes you do see fast food chains trying to pander to healthy eating people, main difference here is that they do not switch your existing hamburger for an alternative but they just provide an option to them.

Sinfulgore

The bolded may be the best point in this thread. Ultimately this is where Insomniac "COULD" be going wrong. Stop trying to not offend. You're fine! You'll be fine! Stop caring about what Twitter says. Talk to real consultants to get things right, but do it for the sense of accuracy and not fear of backlash.
I would argue Insomniac has already gone wrong. I haven't played Spider-Man 2 yet but the Miles Morales game represents everything I'm talking about, the plot in that game was awful and a big downgrade from Spiderman 1. Gaming is lucky that its very gameplay focused so many people can ignore "woke"(for lack of a better term) elements of a game and just focus on the gameplay.

I don't think these companies should need to talk to "real" consultants to get things right, whatever that means. If they want to be true to the source material all they have to do is study the source material but they don't care about accuracy in that way. I miss the days when creatives could just create whatever they wanted without being hindered by all this unnecessary nonsense.

mckmas8808

I would argue Insomniac has already gone wrong. I haven't played Spider-Man 2 yet but the Miles Morales game represents everything I'm talking about, the plot in that game was awful and a big downgrade from Spiderman 1. Gaming is lucky that its very gameplay focused so many people can ignore "woke"(for lack of a better term) elements of a game and just focus on the gameplay.

I don't think these companies should need to talk to "real" consultants to get things right, whatever that means. If they want to be true to the source material all they have to do is study the source material but they don't care about accuracy in that way. I miss the days when creatives could just create whatever they wanted without being hindered by all this unnecessary nonsense.

You say the bolded as if most people agree with you though. This is a bad premise. Plus I'm assuming if and when any of these companies talk to "real" consultants, they are doing it because they want to. Not because they are being forced to. The Internet has completely lost the plot these days. People just don't understand the creative process at all. Clearly democratising our voice hasn't been good for truth and understanding. It's just a lot of non-sense being pushed around by ignorant people.

Creatives have forever consulted with people and companies when it comes to creating characters, story, and plot. This is nothing new. This "inclusivity training" maybe something else. And I at least understand why some have an issue with it.

Abby and Lev only exist to be a more woke replacement of the original TLOUP1 duo, specially the white hetero male. A male looking -probably trans- woman and an Asian trans kid.

The problem is that their focus was more on representing groups of a checklist and try to justify their inclusion there than to properly write good characters and story as they did in the first one.

In TLOUP1 (+Left Behind) there were "minorities" characters, but their group didn't matter and they were properly written, charismatic and part of a great story. They felt as normal characters placed there organically, didn't felt as forced character.
We're still doing the "Abby is trans" in 2024? Seriously?
And how did the game try to justify Abby having that body or Lev being trans? Abby is built like that and you know she has a gym right next to her bedroom. You see that on a gameplay section. That's all. It's not like you have a minigame where you need to work out with Abby. And Lev...mentions that once in a cutscene in a single sentence, only to never mention that again. That's it.

But that's for physical sales only. Once you add in digital, that closes the gap.
Did the first Spider-Man game sell over 5M in 10 days? No...it didn't. "Closing the gap" is already you admiting it never reached those numbers as fast.
There's also the fact that the first Spider-Man released to a much bigger userbase than Spider-Man 2. If i remember it right the PS4 was at over 70 or 80M by then.

When Spider-Man 2 released the PS5 still wasn't at 50M consoles sold...and it still sold faster.

Of course none of this matters it seems.

mckmas8808

Did the first Spider-Man game sell over 5M in 10 days? No...it didn't. "Closing the gap" is already you admiting it never reached those numbers as fast.
There's also the fact that the first Spider-Man released to a much bigger userbase than Spider-Man 2. If i remember it right the PS4 was at over 70 or 80M by then.

When Spider-Man 2 released the PS5 still wasn't at 50M consoles sold...and it still sold faster.

Of course none of this matters it seems.

It always confuses me why some people want to push a narrative, when when the pure data says something totally opposite. Like........it's right there lol.

Nickolaidas

It always confuses me why some people want to push a narrative, when when the pure data says something totally opposite. Like........it's right there lol.
A sequel's sales are strongly based on the previous installment. TloU2 didn't sell as well as it did because it was a masterpiece of a game. It sold as it sold because of tLoU1.

You'll see how good of a game SM2 was when you see the sales of SM3.

Of course, SM is STILL a powerful brand, and not even remotely as weakened as say, Star Wars, so it could still go well regardless of SM2's quality, but I am 100% sure (I'll bet you 100 bucks) that SM3 WON'T do as well as SM1 or SM2.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
People just want everything "woke" to flop.
Meanwhile Spider-Man franchise is going better than ever and selling faster than ever, Insomniac has at least 4 or 5 games coming out until 2034 from Marvel.
TLOU Part 3 is a given already, the TV show is a huge hit and it will have at least 2 more seasons that will adapt the 2nd "woke" game.

Tough times ahead for the haters.

Yep....with zero fucks given either.

mckmas8808

A sequel's sales are strongly based on the previous installment. TloU2 didn't sell as well as it did because it was a masterpiece of a game. It sold as it sold because of tLoU1.

You'll see how good of a game SM2 was when you see the sales of SM3.

Of course, SM is STILL a powerful brand, and not even remotely as weakened as say, Star Wars, so it could still go well regardless of SM2's quality, but I am 100% sure (I'll bet you 100 bucks) that SM3 WON'T do as well as SM1 or SM2.

Not always. Sometimes the sequel just flops. Plus it's a little weird to read that TLOU2 did well, NOT because of what it did but due to TLOU1. TLOU2 rated great too. People have said how much they like the game also. It's not like we humans are blind zombies.

And I wouldn't make the SM3 bet because, I'd need to see the game first. I can't judge something before I see it or play it.

Sinfulgore

You say the bolded as if most people agree with you though. This is a bad premise. Plus I'm assuming if and when any of these companies talk to "real" consultants, they are doing it because they want to. Not because they are being forced to. The Internet has completely lost the plot these days. People just don't understand the creative process at all. Clearly democratising our voice hasn't been good for truth and understanding. It's just a lot of non-sense being pushed around by ignorant people.

Creatives have forever consulted with people and companies when it comes to creating characters, story, and plot. This is nothing new. This "inclusivity training" maybe something else. And I at least understand why some have an issue with it.
How is it a bad premise? When it comes to this kind of stuff there are three groups, people who like woke stuff, people who don't, and people who are indifferent. You don't think the majority of gamers ignore woke stuff in games, either because they are indifferent to it or actively dislike it?

Anytime a company hires a consultant they are doing it because they want to but let's not forget this isn't a company's decision. Hiring a consultant is the decision of one or maybe a small group of employees, not something a whole company gets a say in Also it's not always a creative's decision, for all we know it could be HR or Marketing that is hiring these consultants for the developers.

yurinka

We're still doing the "Abby is trans" in 2024? Seriously?
And how did the game try to justify Abby having that body or Lev being trans? Abby is built like that and you know she has a gym right next to her bedroom. You see that on a gameplay section.
I also saw a cutscene of Abby getting anal sex.

And Lev...mentions that once in a cutscene in a single sentence, only to never mention that again. That's it.
The only thing that Lev added to the story was to have a trans kid rejected and attached by heteropatriarchal NPCs, whose only function in the story was to be transphobic. An unidimensional, uncharismatic and poorly written woke tokenism character.

That and being part a more woke (and poor) replacement for the TLOU1 duo: a trans kid and a manly looking angry and ugly woman because white heterosexual males are bad and should be removed.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It's a terrible concept to begin with. I connected with the characters in Godzilla Minus One more than any Hollywood movie this year and those people didn't look like me, live in the same time as me, or speak my language lol

Sinfulgore

It's a terrible concept to begin with. I connected with the characters in Godzilla Minus One more than any Hollywood movie this year and those people didn't look like me, live in the same time as me, or speak my language lol
Agreed. Western characters like Batman, Superman, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Mickey Mouse, Spider-man, Wolverine, etc are popular all over the world in almost every country. Disney has no Japanese characters yet has a theme park in Tokyo. You'd think that would be enough evidence to prove that people can connect with characters and stories regardless of race or gender or where the story takes place but for some reason, some people don't believe it.

Stooky

Anytime a company hires a consultant they are doing it because they want to but let's not forget this isn't a company's decision. Hiring a consultant is the decision of one or maybe a small group of employees, not something a whole company gets a say in Also it's not always a creative's decision, for all we know it could be HR or Marketing that is hiring these consultants for the developers.
Not true at all. Companies hire consultants for many reasons. Mostly to get information about a topic they dont know about. Theres nothing wrong with it. Its up to the company how they use the information. Example ill hire a consultant that is an expert in Mid evil fighting techniques to help the team develop a combat moveset for a character in that time period. Im doing game about encountering a militia in the congo, im hiring a consulant that knows about this because im not going to the jungle to get reference for that. When you don't do the research thats when you get generic weak characters. Consultants are import, everybody in the creative field uses them.

Stooky

Agreed. Western characters like Batman, Superman, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, Mickey Mouse, Spider-man, Wolverine, etc are popular all over the world in almost every country. Disney has no Japanese characters yet has a theme park in Tokyo. You'd think that would be enough evidence to prove that people can connect with characters and stories regardless of race or gender or where the story takes place but for some reason, some people don't believe it.
there are universal themes in story telling that go back to the motifs in greek mythology. Those same greek themes run through every story told today and are universal. Then there are cultural themes, that grounds a story in a place, time period, gender, race, era etc is what brings authenticity.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

I don't think you understand. That's the law at work. The law was created to do the bolded. That's the point! The point is to create craziness and to get books banned by trying to avoid lawsuits. It's the new tactic that politicians are using now.
That's a good point, but only half the story. Schools are also removing popular books "preemptively" and blame the law for publicity and to sabotage it, not because they seriously think the book is against the law... At least that's what I would do if I was a woke activist.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Did you just make this up? Spiderman 1 sold 3.3 million in 3 days. Spiderman 2 sold 2.5 million in 1 day. And 5 million in 10 days. And it's used as a counterargument when people say stupid things like "Go woke, Go Broke". And then called Spiderman 2 woke, but then won't acknowledge why it didn't go broke.
All the recent flop marvel and disney movies, the x play revival, easy allies are all great examples of get woke go broke. You can't point to Spiderman, an ip that still has a reputation and say people want this shit. They are pulling bait and switch. People trust the ip, and they betray that trust. Barbie succeeded due to a meme.

Can we just post some excerpts from those books banned from school libraries in Florida? Fair warning, they contain sexual activity between underage characters that are self-inserts for the authors.

Don't want to cause issues with the mod team for posting images too spicy for a forum of internet-desensitized people that are simultaneously appropriate for 9 year olds.

Scotty W

Idiotic comparison

False, many of Shakespeare’s plays were published before his death. From memory, here are a few:

Midsummer Night’s Dream
Hamlet
Troilus and Cressida
King Lear
Richard 3

One’s I am not sure about:

Love’s Labour’s Lost
Taming of the Shrew
The King Henry plays
Richard 2

Not necessarily as much control as you imply.

Richard 2 was only banned from the stage after people intentionally used it to drum up support for a failed assassination of Queen Elizabeth.
He died in 1616. After 1660 the plays were allowed to return. But tastes had changed, and he was not actually that famous. John Dryden, who adapted Troilus and Cressida speaks of clearing away a rubbish heap to allow a diamond to shine. Bowlder lived much later and it never interefered with the ability to find the true Shakespeare. Restoration taste was for raunchy farce, and Shakespeare was just not to taste
Absurd. Most of Shakespeare’s plays are built around an anxiety about Royal succession. This concern with preserving legitimate order is conservative. A good reason why he did NOT participate in the above mentioned assassination of Queen Elizabeth, and why his team of players became the King’s Men, the King’s official players.

Top Bottom