• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures Announced | Summer Game Fest

nial

Gold Member
So this and Astrobot are Sony's big holiday titles this year? Kinda wild but ok
For all the Sony movie-games takes in this forum, you'd think this is what they want. Eh, Sony can have a full-on weeb JRPG for next holiday, and GAF would still cry about it.
2WOx8kb.jpeg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Right, so it's absolutely no big deal at all that a Sony IP is heading to switch. No big deal at all.

Can you imagine a mario lego game on playstation. It would be bonkers. Or mario rabbids

You say that, but it wasn't that long ago that the idea of a PlayStation game on PC was unheard of.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I think there have been a few different narratives that folks have been trying to contrive out of something that really isn't a big deal at all, frankly. Not sure why folks need to believe Lego is beholden to Sony or Sony is beholden to Lego in any of this. This is a clear collaboration between two different franchises: Horizon and Lego. Something Lego has done numerous times before as we all know too well. So what is the big take-away from all this? Not a damn thing.

The takeaway is that Sony is comfortable with their IP launching day and date on PC, which the existence of this game indicates.

Some want to extrapolate this fact into "proof" that all Sony titles will be day and date any time now, though coming to this takeaway is merely conjecture supported by the above.

Another group feels that in order to disprove this proof conjecture, they need to show that Sony did not want this but LEGO forced their hand.

Wow guys.

Topher

Gold Member
The takeaway is that Sony is comfortable with their IP launching day and date on PC, which the existence of this game indicates.

Perhaps, but that needs to be put in the context of what it is: a collaboration with Lego. That's an important distinction because that statement isn't necessarily true when it comes to Sony's tentpole titles.

Some want to extrapolate this fact into "proof" that all Sony titles will be day and date any time now, though coming to this takeaway is merely conjecture supported by the above.

Another group feels that in order to disprove this proof conjecture, they need to show that Sony did not want this but LEGO forced their hand.

Wow guys.

None of us were sitting at the table when all this was hashed out between Sony and Lego so in my mind it is pretty easy to dismiss these theories as far as who forced who to do what. Both Lego and Sony agreed to the terms that resulted in this game being on the platforms they will be on.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Perhaps, but that needs to be put in the context of what it is: a collaboration with Lego. That's an important distinction because that statement isn't necessarily true when it comes to Sony's tentpole titles.
I feel like my very next sentence addressed this but okay lol
None of us were sitting at the table when all this was hashed out between Sony and Lego so in my mind it is pretty easy to dismiss these theories as far as who forced who to do what. Both Lego and Sony agreed to the terms that resulted in this game being on the platforms they will be on.

Well without a fly on the wall we won't know if Lego had dirt on Sony management and threatened them into compliance, but we can reasonably assume that there was no forcing involved. If doing this was somehow anathema to Sony's brand strategy and Lego demanded it, Sony would simply say no to the game. It's not like their whole business is at stake.

Just curious but who said this part?

m6uxw0o.jpeg

midnightAI

Well without a fly on the wall we won't know if Lego had dirt on Sony management and threatened them into compliance, but we can reasonably assume that there was no forcing involved. If doing this was somehow anathema to Sony's brand strategy and Lego demanded it, Sony would simply say no to the game. It's not like their whole business is at stake.

m6uxw0o.jpeg
A requirement of an agreement between the two parties is very different to being forced, that's why I asked because I believe that part of the agreement between the two was that Lego wanted the game on multiple platforms and that Sony was fine with that. Forced is a little strong because Sony could walk away, same as Lego could walk away if the terms of the agreement didn't suit them also.

And who knows, maybe Lego also wanted it on Xbox and PS4 and Sony didn't want that. We'll probably never know the terms though so it's all conjecture anyway.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Fair enough

yeah.....agree 100%

Kssio_Aug

I like the lego games, and honestly this one looks like it's gonna be fun. As always, it has its charisma, and I'm sure it will be a great casual and relaxing experience. It's also a great series to play with young kids.

I will most definitely buy it.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Next ghost of tsushima 2 will be day one on pc and the goal posts will shift again.
That's of a wholly other concern, that legitimately would be an issue of why bother with playstation (there are still reasons if course such as cost and convenience) and that would affect console sales.

But until that happens it's not a concern.

But this is Lego we are talking about here, has there ever been a licensed Lego game exclusive to one platform?

But this is Lego we are talking about here, has there ever been a licensed Lego game exclusive to one platform?

No, because it's a third party game and it doesn't muster the excitement of a Horizon game by itself that can sell 10+M on a single platform.

There's legitimate concerns about spending the time/money/effort to put this ONLY on PS5 and have it sell a few hundred thousand, when it will sell millions across both PC and Switch where there are additional casual audiences and families they can extend into.

PeteBull

For all the ppl asking why game is on switch and not ps4 or even better- xbox, they wanna sell some srs copies here, games on xbox stopped selling a while ago, including their new hellblade 2.
Ps4 games dont sell either anymore, its legacy console now, so development cost would exceed any profit made from it.

PC version will likely be super low cost, aka barebones ps5 version with higher resolution/fps, and thats it- low cost/effort so nothing to lose, only to gain.

Switch version gonna be like usually 720p or below, likely with dynamic resolution scaling, aka pixels the size of fists, and still dip below 30fps all the time, so any techsavy person wont buy it, tons of switch only users who are basically blind will buy it tho, switch has 141m consoles sold as of march 2024( official info here in the link https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html ) , and their players are gamestarved af, love platformers/lego/kiddy games so will eat it up like its 2nd coming of Jesus aka it makes sense to make switch version and get those additional 2 or maybe even 5m sales, likely more when it gets ported to switch 2 which will be super game starved too :)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That's of a wholly other concern, that legitimately would be an issue of why bother with playstation (there are still reasons if course such as cost and convenience) and that would affect console sales.

But until that happens it's not a concern.

Lego city undercover was exclusive to Wii u for a long time.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Ps4 games dont sell either anymore, its legacy console now, so development cost would exceed any profit made from it.

PC version will likely be super low cost, aka barebones ps5 version with higher resolution/fps, and thats it- low cost/effort so nothing to lose, only to gain.

There's development cost to port a PS5 game that is already scalable enough to put on Switch to PS4?

Or is it just a publishing cost

semiconscious

Gold Member
i've got no use for lego anything, but what's weird is that this's actually a more appealing iteration of aloy than the one in forbidden west...

PeteBull

There's development cost to port a PS5 game that is already scalable enough to put on Switch to PS4?

Or is it just a publishing cost
Ofc it costs, and not lil, remember its not as simple as a pc port, when players can bruteforce that shit with higher specs, by the time game is out(if no delays, u never know nowadays :p ) it will be 4 years into ps5 lifecycle and we gonna have ps5pr0 launched too.

Switch is much weaker from ps4( roughly 4-5x weaker if we compare docked performance) but at least its not legacy console yet, and has bigger playerbase, ps4 playerbase by holidays 2024 will mostly move onto ps5, as it should be.

U can search for sales depending on platform, on GAF here we got quite a few threads with solid info, mostly from UK but not only that, games on ps4 barely sell nowadays vs ps5 or switch.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Ofc it costs, and not lil, remember its not as simple as a pc port, when players can bruteforce that shit with higher specs, by the time game is out(if no delays, u never know nowadays :p ) it will be 4 years into ps5 lifecycle and we gonna have ps5pr0 launched too.

Switch is much weaker from ps4( roughly 4-5x weaker if we compare docked performance) but at least its not legacy console yet, and has bigger playerbase, ps4 playerbase by holidays 2024 will mostly move onto ps5, as it should be.

U can search for sales depending on platform, on GAF here we got quite a few threads with solid info, mostly from UK but not only that, games on ps4 barely sell nowadays vs ps5 or switch.

PS4 and PS5 have the same architecture. That is why PS4 game discs play on a PS5 natively.

So this is like when N took their GC Zelda and put it on Wii, which was just a souped up GC . No biggie. In contrast to porting BOTW from Wii U to Switch where they had to remake the game from scratch. Putting a scalable PS5 game on PS4 should mean changing some settings and clicking "export". I'm exaggerating a little bit but not that much...

PeteBull

PS4 and PS5 have the same architecture. That is why PS4 game discs play on a PS5 natively.

So this is like when N took their GC Zelda and put it on Wii, which was just a souped up GC . No biggie. In contrast to porting BOTW from Wii U to Switch where they had to remake the game from scratch. Putting a scalable PS5 game on PS4 should mean changing some settings and clicking "export". I'm exaggerating a little bit but not that much...
Think of it this way- not enough ps4 players will be left by holidays 2024 to pay for at least solid few months of work that the dev team will have to put into ps4 port.
PC port will be not only easier/faster, but will be allowed to have more bugs and less polish vs theoretical ps4 one.

Remember even tho ps4 instalbase is humongous (117m official most recent data vs 59m ps5 sold) but players who by holiday 2024 will be left on it will be super casuals who barely buy any games, especially at launch.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think some people don't want to believe that Sony would decide to support a platform other than PlayStation. I would find it very difficult to believe that Lego forced Sony to put Horizon on Switch. Sony could have just noped out of a deal. I think Sony is testing the waters by trying to see how much they can earn from the 140+ million device Nintendo money machine.
Many people have a hard time believing that PlayStation is a business and if they do their studies and see that it's way less risky and way more profitable to go third party and sell their ass to Nintendo, they will do so in less than another Mario gets announced

BlackTron

Gold Member
Think of it this way- not enough ps4 players will be left by holidays 2024 to pay for at least solid few months of work that the dev team will have to put into ps4 port.
PC port will be not only easier/faster, but will be allowed to have more bugs and less polish vs theoretical ps4 one.

Remember even tho ps4 instalbase is humongous (117m official most recent data vs 59m ps5 sold) but players who by holiday 2024 will be left on it will be super casuals who barely buy any games, especially at launch.

I'm not saying it should come to PS4 or that it means anything that it's not, just that in a world where PS4 games still come out, this looks like bare lowest difficulty level of a game to put on it. It already has a PS5 version, and it scales down to Switch level. This is like changing settings in the pause menu level port.

PeteBull

I'm not saying it should come to PS4 or that it means anything that it's not, just that in a world where PS4 games still come out, this looks like bare lowest difficulty level of a game to put on it. It already has a PS5 version, and it scales down to Switch level. This is like changing settings in the pause menu level port.
If it could sell like 1m copies on ps4, hell even 500k, they would do it, but it has close to 0 chance to reach that.

Switch port will need months of work for devteam to optimise it properly and it will still likely be artroucious framerate wise compared to current gen, but likely for dev/publisher switch players are used to such treatment even by their own exclusive games, not to mention multiplats.

Would ps4 users be ok with 720p 30fps with constant dips? Likely not, and more than that would require some srs manpower/months of optimising work.

Biggest problem tho is by holidays 2024 no1 will be left on ps4, at least no1 willing to buy this game, think logically, if u got ps4 only by holidays 2024 u got access to mountain of supercheap/used/discounted games- and u arent day1 buyer.

Sony will have 0 reason for this port if much better version of the game is on ps5 where there is actually huge hardcore playerbase/day1 buyers, and non-sony users will have pc/switch version.

To buy this game at launch on ps4 u would somehow have to be walking contradiction as a player, hardcore enough to buy games day1, but at the same time casual enough to not own ps5/ps5pr0/pc/switch 4 years after ps4 turned into legacy platfrom(ps5 launch was november 2020).

BlackTron

Gold Member
If it could sell like 1m copies on ps4, hell even 500k, they would do it, but it has close to 0 chance to reach that.

Switch port will need months of work for devteam to optimise it properly and it will still likely be artroucious framerate wise compared to current gen, but likely for dev/publisher switch players are used to such treatment even by their own exclusive games, not to mention multiplats.

Would ps4 users be ok with 720p 30fps with constant dips? Likely not, and more than that would require some srs manpower/months of optimising work.

Biggest problem tho is by holidays 2024 no1 will be left on ps4, at least no1 willing to buy this game, think logically, if u got ps4 only by holidays 2024 u got access to mountain of supercheap/used/discounted games- and u arent day1 buyer.

Sony will have 0 reason for this port if much better version of the game is on ps5 where there is actually huge hardcore playerbase/day1 buyers, and non-sony users will have pc/switch version.

To buy this game at launch on ps4 u would somehow have to be walking contradiction as a player, hardcore enough to buy games day1, but at the same time casual enough to not own ps5/ps5pr0/pc/switch 4 years after ps4 turned into legacy platfrom(ps5 launch was november 2020).

Seems the reason the game is not on PS4 is because they want that base to upgrade to PS5.

Your arguments only make sense in a scenario where other PS4 games stop coming out as well, not just this one.

PeteBull

Seems the reason the game is not on PS4 is because they want that base to upgrade to PS5.

Your arguments only make sense in a scenario where other PS4 games stop coming out as well, not just this one.

Its simply coldhearted business decision, in the end sony is corpo too, man, not our friend, we as gamers make sure to get as much value from them at the least possible cost, they want exactly opposite :>

Edit:
Even after ps5 launch we had few new ps4 x-gen games from sony: gt7, gow:ragnarok, horizon:FW(but no xpack anymore:p), pretty sure its already longest x-gen period we ever had, in terms of first/2nd party exclusives, not counting some legacy fifa/madden/nba games that are literally same engine/features as previous year with just updated roster- those would be low effort ports, thats the reason they were coming out so many years after consoles end of life.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Interesting point to see that Sony doesn't see Nintendo as direct competition.

Opens the door for more PS4/5 ports to Switch 2 next year.

BlackTron

Gold Member

It is interesting, but TBH I think they will be singing a different tune in 5 years (and maybe wondering if it was a good idea to dilute their brand image)

PeteBull

Last time ninny srsly competed with sony/ms in terms of power narrative and not gimmics was in ps2/og xbox/gamecube era, now that switch is handheld, and sony confirmed switch'es succesor will be handheld too, they know ninny basically decided on their own they cant compete with the big boys anymore.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Last time ninny srsly competed with sony/ms in terms of power narrative and not gimmics was in ps2/og xbox/gamecube era, now that switch is handheld, and sony confirmed switch'es succesor will be handheld too, they know ninny basically decided on their own they cant compete with the big boys anymore.

Xbox already castrated themselves and were getting Halo on PS. Sony's main competitor is Nintendo, they just haven't noticed it yet, apparently.

nial

Gold Member
Looking at the claims that Guerrilla is developing LEGO Horizon, they also "co-developed" Horizon VR, but it was simply as a support role, all while Firesprite was clearly leading development on the project.
And they were also featured at the start of the game's trailer!

On the other side of the coin, though, Studio Gobo being the main developer would imply that XDEV Europe is producing the project, and yet they haven't posted anything about the game on their social media, and then there's the fact that Gobo has never been anything more than a simple support studio.
But hey, if they're actually featured in the trailer of the game, it means that they have a notable role in development, even if it doesn't necessarily mean that they're directing it.

PeteBull

Xbox already castrated themselves and were getting Halo on PS. Sony's main competitor is Nintendo, they just haven't noticed it yet, apparently.
How i see it is, if xbox and nintendo magically combined(which is impossible/improbable etc), then only they would pose a danger to sony.

MS lacks high quality games/vision, ninny lacks strong hardware, switch succesor coming in 2025, when it will be probably(roughly, according to leaks) be as strong as ps4pr0 in docked mode, around ps4 base in handheld mode, compared to sony's ps5pr0 it will be 1 full gen behind in terms of power, thats like sega would launch saturn after sony launched ps2 and tried to compete xD

BlackTron

Gold Member
How i see it is, if xbox and nintendo magically combined(which is impossible/improbable etc), then only they would pose a danger to sony.

MS lacks high quality games/vision, ninny lacks strong hardware, switch succesor coming in 2025, when it will be probably(roughly, according to leaks) be as strong as ps4pr0 in docked mode, around ps4 base in handheld mode, compared to sony's ps5pr0 it will be 1 full gen behind in terms of power, thats like sega would launch saturn after sony launched ps2 and tried to compete xD

Compete on what? Your personal favorite console?

Lack of quality games and vision is a far worse handicap than less powerful system. Although they may be equally important in your fantasy of the perfect game company.

The existing Switch already dominates in Japan, and the hardware gap is about to get smaller. The Switch 2 will be less badly underpowered, as the marginal benefit of more power in a console continues to wane.

Anyway this was about who Sony's actual competition is, and we somehow leapt to whether their competition can hurt them or not.

PeteBull

The existing Switch already dominates in Japan, and the hardware gap is about to get smaller. The Switch 2 will be less badly underpowered, as the marginal benefit of more power in a console continues to wane.
I hope u are right, personally would love strong nintendo console, we will probably know more in upcoming months/early 2025 ^^

BlackTron

Gold Member
I hope u are right, personally would love strong nintendo console, we will probably know more in upcoming months/early 2025 ^^

We would all love it, but even with what we know now, Nintendo doesn't need a huge amount of power to put a major dent in Sony, they're already doing it today, and power is meaning less each generation. I think the 2 sort of exist in a homeostasis where they just let each other have their corners of the market, but Nintendo is poised to make their corner even bigger next gen and piss them off. You said it yourself, Switch 2 will be PS4 Pro. Well people were already choosing Switch 1 when PS4 Pro was available, in fact they destroyed Japan in this scenario, consider when PS6 gives you PS5 games with higher settings and Nintendo isn't a 2015 phone chip anymore.

There comes a point the vast majority of people think it looks good enough and care more about content and convenience. This is why I see more DVDs than BluRays on shelves. Of course I'm not saying PS6 will drop off a cliff like Bluray but it's a scale we see already tipping this gen.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I think folk are reading too much into this. It’s a Lego game based on a popular franchise, just like Lego Harry Potter, Lego Batman, Lego Star Wars. This isn’t Horizon FW on the Switch.

Anyway, why hasn’t there been a Lego Uncharted?

BlackTron

Gold Member
Ok so stated the purpose of this game is get people to buy PS5s right. As like a gateway game.

-I think the game looks pretty cool
- I don't have a PS5, just a 4
- I'll probably play it on Switch where I like to accumulate Lego games
- It won't make me buy a PS5 for real Horizon because I have a PC

I don't know there's just something about this strategy to make me buy a PS5 that isn't coming together for me.

Top Bottom