• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures Announced | Summer Game Fest

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
SOHfoEk.jpeg

Trunx81

Gold Member
Watched the trailer and it’s not for me. “The world ended because of killer robots and we are in danger to become extinct - let’s build a FUN RIDE!”

I’m sure some people will like it, but I’ll stick with the original games (which are great. Fight me!)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ok so stated the purpose of this game is get people to buy PS5s right. As like a gateway game.

-I think the game looks pretty cool
- I don't have a PS5, just a 4
- I'll probably play it on Switch where I like to accumulate Lego games
- It won't make me buy a PS5 for real Horizon because I have a PC

I don't know there's just something about this strategy to make me buy a PS5 that isn't coming together for me.
I don't think this is suppose to work. This is just something Sony made up to make some people feel better.

Just like the statements they made back when they announce Zero Dawn for PC.

"And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware."

"We're very committed to dedicated hardware, as we were before," he stated. "We're gonna continue to do that. And we're very committed to quality exclusives. And to strong narrative-driven, single-player games.

"At the same time, we're going to be very open to experimentation, to new ideas. Just trying things out to see what works. I think that's also very much part of the DNA of Worldwide Studios."

PeteBull

Ok so stated the purpose of this game is get people to buy PS5s right. As like a gateway game.

I don't know there's just something about this strategy to make me buy a PS5 that isn't coming together for me.
U are the case of a player who isnt ps4 only by holidays 2024, u mentioned urself having pc and switch, so for some reason u refuse to get ps5 even 4 years into this console gen, maybe u gonna get ps5pr0 instead and then get this new game for it?

Certainly from Sony's perspective it looks like 0 sense move to put ps4 port of this game coz players like u wont be tempted to buy it on ps4 if u got pc and switch anyways(if u want better version u gonna go with pc, if u want mobility u go with castrated to hell and back switch version- either way ps4 port wouldnt be enticing enough for u to buy it anyways).

Im also old ps4 player w/o ps5(decided it was too weak and we gonna get pr0 console down the line as soon as we got official info on the ps5 specs back in 2020), in hindsight i think it was solid move coz now pr0 is coming, tons of sony exclusives come on pc, delayed but still, and only thing that will force me to get ps5(pr0) is probably gta6, but thats in 2025 if no delays ;D

Last edited:

Roufianos

Interesting concept, especially putting it on Switch, but the game just looks like ass. Star Wars was boring as fuck but this looks worse.

BlackTron

Gold Member
U are the case of a player who isnt ps4 only by holidays 2024, u mentioned urself having pc and switch, so for some reason u refuse to get ps5 even 4 years into this console gen, maybe u gonna get ps5pr0 instead and then get this new game for it?

Certainly from Sony's perspective it looks like 0 sense move to put ps4 port of this game coz players like u wont be tempted to buy it on ps4 if u got pc and switch anyways(if u want better version u gonna go with pc, if u want mobility u go with castrated to hell and back switch version- either way ps4 port wouldnt be enticing enough for u to buy it anyways).

Again, your arguments only exist in a world where PS4 games halt completely. Why ever release a PS4 version of any game ever again if the publisher can reasonably expect "players like me" to "not be tempted to buy it" because we'll just get it on PC or Switch "anyways"? The fact is, this game is uniquely special NOT because it has poor sales potential on PS4, but because they want to prevent you from buying it there.

Im also old ps4 player w/o ps5(decided it was too weak and we gonna get pr0 console down the line as soon as we got official info on the ps5 specs back in 2020), in hindsight i think it was solid move coz now pr0 is coming, tons of sony exclusives come on pc, delayed but still, and only thing that will force me to get ps5(pr0) is probably gta6, but thats in 2025 if no delays ;D

I also held out for PS5 Pro, but at this point I'm not sure I need one at all. Why? Mostly due to Sony's tactics to try and get me to buy one. This is the actual definition of irony.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I don't think this is suppose to work. This is just something Sony made up to make some people feel better.

What about those comments seem made up? I even believe that, at the time, they didn't have a plan for day-and-date games. Even a Lego game! lol

Fast fowarding to today:

𝗤𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝟭: 𝗪𝗵𝘆 𝗶𝘀 𝗟𝗘𝗚𝗢 𝗛𝗼𝗿𝗶𝘇𝗼𝗻 𝗔𝗱𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗦𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵 & 𝗣𝗖 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗣𝗦𝟰? 𝗔𝗹𝘀𝗼, 𝗪𝗵𝘆 𝗶𝘀𝗻'𝘁 𝗶𝘁 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗼 𝗫𝗯𝗼𝘅? -Answer: Since PS4 players are already in the ecosystem, they already have access to a lot of PlayStation's Tentpole games. Therefore, the only way to convince them to get a PS5 is to not put it on the PS4. They are trying to move people up to the PS5 from the PS4.

So you are telling me that they MADE UP this answer, in order to make their fans feel better? Masters of empathy

Neofire

What about those comments seem made up? I even believe that, at the time, they didn't have a plan for day-and-date games. Even a Lego game! lol

Fast fowarding to today:

So you are telling me that they MADE UP this answer, in order to make their fans feel better? Masters of empathy
Hell no it isn't made up lol, Herman Hulst and his ilk have been wanting to push for this for a while now. Once the PS5 sales start to slide even more they will blame is on PS5 owners and say that we aren't buying enough HW/SW and that they have to consider releasing on "other" platforms.

Releasing games on competitors platforms has never encouraged those players to come to your platform lol.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Hell no it isn't made up lol, Herman Hulst and his ilk have been wanting to push for this for a while now. Once the PS5 sales start to slide even more they will blame is on PS5 owners and say that we aren't buying enough HW/SW and that they have to consider releasing on "other" platforms.

Releasing games on competitors platforms has never encouraged those players to come to your platform lol.

But remember, Nintendo would be extremely foolish not to go after that massive PC install base, amirite

PeteBull

Again, your arguments only exist in a world where PS4 games halt completely.
That is what im saying, most games got no last gen version anymore, u gotta look at it not from perspective of ps4 player, but from perspective of Sony, if they dont profit from ps4 version(which they dont in this particular case) there wont be one, simple as that.

I will give u example of allan wake 2, at first game was digital only, and it was heavily unplayable on older gpu's, aka pascal, game didnt sell enough copies and remedy had to bend the knee recently, they announced physical version by now and few weeks back majorly improved pascal gpu's performance, all of it to generate more sales.

Sony has hard data on gt7/miles morales/gow:ragnarok sales on ps4 vs ps5, if they predicted ps4 version of lego horizon to sell half decent by holidays 2024 they would definitely make sure such version would exist, unfortunately its not the case, especially if we know ps4 port wouldnt be made in a vacuum, aka ps4/ps5 version only but pc and switch too, it further decreases profitability of ps4 version unfortunately.

Its simply business, no hard feelings. Its not like WNBA where it is subsidized by NBA, ps4 port has to be profitable by itself to make sense.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
Looks at switch HW/SW sales.......yep extremely foolish 🤣

No you don't understand, if N games were on PC, they would sell the same amount of switch games, systems, controllers, accessories, services and supplementary eshop games.

To stop being sarcastic for a second -the idea that PC will just expand their market relies on the theory that exclusivity was not important to get Nintendo where they are in the first place. They could launch PC games, get massive sales in the short term as PC chads cheer they were right, as the first move of unraveling their empire that outlasted every other game company.

Neofire

No you don't understand, if N games were on PC, they would sell the same amount of switch games, systems, controllers, accessories, services and supplementary eshop games.

To stop being sarcastic for a second -the idea that PC will just expand their market relies on the theory that exclusivity was not important to get Nintendo where they are in the first place. They could launch PC games, get massive sales in the short term as PC chads cheer they were right, as the first move of unraveling their empire that outlasted every other game company.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, we both know what would happen if Nintendo put their games on PC 👀 let's keep it 100. We also know that Nintendo would never water down their brand like MS and Sony(sadly in the early stages of) are doing.

The PC market has never kept any console maker afloat in history of videogames and it isn't going to do it now, for the ones still thinking the PC market is the answer. Exclusives matter and brand strength matters. Nintendo has realized this and it is paying off.

The new leadership at Sony is trying to make a few million more sales by whoring out their IPs and in turn it isn't diluting their brand as something that can be bought on PC and now their competitors platform.....which is cheaper.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I agree with you wholeheartedly, we both know what would happen if Nintendo put their games on PC 👀 let's keep it 100. We also know that Nintendo would never water down their brand like MS and Sony(sadly in the early stages of) are doing.

The PC market has never kept any console maker afloat in history of videogames and it isn't going to do it now, for the ones still thinking the PC market is the answer. Exclusives matter and brand strength matters. Nintendo has realized this and it is paying off.

The new leadership at Sony is trying to make a few million more sales by whoring out their IPs and in turn it isn't diluting their brand as something that can be bought on PC and now their competitors platform.....which is cheaper.

Exactly. This all reeks of some stupid new-wave MBA know-it-alls who think they know better than dusty old Grandpa rushing in and tanking the business in exchange for a dollar dangled in front of them while the old guard watches in disbelief.

PeteBull

Exactly. This all reeks of some stupid new-wave MBA know-it-alls who think they know better than dusty old Grandpa rushing in and tanking the business in exchange for a dollar dangled in front of them while the old guard watches in disbelief.
Totally agree, lets hope we are all wrong but so far u can tell if sony follows microsoft's stupid decision it can only end in same kind of diseaster.

vivftp

It's about introducing the IP to a new demographic to get them interested in Horizon. Those who become fans of it then have an opportunity to...

- Play Horizon ZD or FW on PS4/PS5 or PC, or Call of the Mountain on PSVR2
- Try Guerrilla's rumored upcoming Horizon Online game
- Try NCSoft's rumored upcoming Horizon MMO game
- Play the inevitable Horizon 3
- Watch the Horizon Netflix series when it arrives
- Buy the inevitable LEGO Horizon kits that'll result from this game (I think the previous Tallneck one is discontinued), thus earning Sony/LEGO a good chunk of change
- Plus of course it's about raking in an assload of revenue from this game, which could lead to more. If they're adapting Zero Dawn for this game then the next natural move is to make a second one for Forbidden West.

Some of the above may result in folks picking up a PS console to play those games. It's not about doing this to only plant one seed and hope for a single plant to sprout, it's about planting many seeds in the hopes of yielding a bumper crop - this is just one seed among many. Horizon's already a huge IP, they want to turn it into a mega-IP. They're well on their way to achieving that with all the various projects.

BlackTron

Gold Member
It's about introducing the IP to a new demographic to get them interested in Horizon. Those who become fans of it then have an opportunity to...

- Play Horizon ZD or FW on PS4/PS5 or PC, or Call of the Mountain on PSVR2
- Try Guerrilla's rumored upcoming Horizon Online game
- Try NCSoft's rumored upcoming Horizon MMO game
- Play the inevitable Horizon 3
- Watch the Horizon Netflix series when it arrives
- Buy the inevitable LEGO Horizon kits that'll result from this game (I think the previous Tallneck one is discontinued), thus earning Sony/LEGO a good chunk of change
- Plus of course it's about raking in an assload of revenue from this game, which could lead to more. If they're adapting Zero Dawn for this game then the next natural move is to make a second one for Forbidden West.

Some of the above may result in folks picking up a PS console to play those games. It's not about doing this to only plant one seed and hope for a single plant to sprout, it's about planting many seeds in the hopes of yielding a bumper crop - this is just one seed among many. Horizon's already a huge IP, they want to turn it into a mega-IP. They're well on their way to achieving that with all the various projects.

I understand the idea behind it, not necessarily that it's a good one.

vivftp

I understand the idea behind it, not necessarily that it's a good one.

I'm curious why you feel it's not a good idea. Their strategy seems to be about casting a wide net with things like live service, PC ports and experimental projects like this, while continuing to give priority to their console with their tentpole titles only appearing there day 1.

Growing their IP can only do so much on their own platform, which is where all of these other ventures come into play. I'd say so far they're doing a good job of walking that line between a multi-plat publisher and a platform holder. Just enough to bring in more revenue and market to a new audience, but not enough to make their own platform irrelevant.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I'm curious why you feel it's not a good idea. Their strategy seems to be about casting a wide net with things like live service, PC ports and experimental projects like this, while continuing to give priority to their console with their tentpole titles only appearing there day 1.

Growing their IP can only do so much on their own platform, which is where all of these other ventures come into play. I'd say so far they're doing a good job of walking that line between a multi-plat publisher and a platform holder. Just enough to bring in more revenue and market to a new audience, but not enough to make their own platform irrelevant.

These things pan out over time. Sony is not going to make a move and see its direct effects when they wake up the next day. The consequence of doing all this is long-tail brand dilution.

For you to be right, the only thing that must matter is day-one exclusives. I don't really think so. I think if Horizon 1 shows up on PC a few years later, and you no longer need a PS to play that game, you already have brand dilution.

If you knew Super Mario Wonder would be on PC in two years, would you buy a console to play it? The assumption being made is that every current existing console player would be there even if the game was multiplatform. This is false, many of those console owners would simply never have bought the platform.

What they are missing is that their strong brand is a priceless resource built up over generations that they are now beginning to dissipate for short-term gains.

vivftp

These things pan out over time. Sony is not going to make a move and see its direct effects when they wake up the next day. The consequence of doing all this is long-tail brand dilution.

For you to be right, the only thing that must matter is day-one exclusives. I don't really think so. I think if Horizon 1 shows up on PC a few years later, and you no longer need a PS to play that game, you already have brand dilution.

If you knew Super Mario Wonder would be on PC in two years, would you buy a console to play it? The assumption being made is that every current existing console player would be there even if the game was multiplatform. This is false, many of those console owners would simply never have bought the platform.

What they are missing is that their strong brand is a priceless resource built up over generations that they are now beginning to dissipate for short-term gains.

That's where walking that fine line comes into play and why they're not doing any hard pivots in their strategy. They've been putting games on PC for years now and yet their games are still selling gangbusters and records are still being broken.

Bringing in that additional revenue from other platforms and their live service endeavors is how they can help to continue to fund these massive AAA blockbuster titles that their platform has become known for. Without that "brand dilution" that you describe, they'd have to start making cutbacks on those ambitious tentpole games, which is something no one wants.

I don't personally care, let PC players or even players on other platforms enjoy these games. If it makes you feel better then maybe you can view it as the lesser of two evils.

I also do feel that this is all leading towards Sony expanding the PlayStation Store to mobile and PC so folks can buy games directly from them without having to give a platform split to another company. Everything so far is just laying the foundation. They can still sell on other store fronts like Steam if they want, but they can also offer additional benefits to folks who buy on their store front like cross-buy and whatnot. That's another topic though, heh.

BlackTron

Gold Member
That's where walking that fine line comes into play and why they're not doing any hard pivots in their strategy. They've been putting games on PC for years now and yet their games are still selling gangbusters and records are still being broken.

Bringing in that additional revenue from other platforms and their live service endeavors is how they can help to continue to fund these massive AAA blockbuster titles that their platform has become known for. Without that "brand dilution" that you describe, they'd have to start making cutbacks on those ambitious tentpole games, which is something no one wants.

I don't personally care, let PC players or even players on other platforms enjoy these games. If it makes you feel better then maybe you can view it as the lesser of two evils.

I also do feel that this is all leading towards Sony expanding the PlayStation Store to mobile and PC so folks can buy games directly from them without having to give a platform split to another company. Everything so far is just laying the foundation. They can still sell on other store fronts like Steam if they want, but they can also offer additional benefits to folks who buy on their store front like cross-buy and whatnot. That's another topic though, heh.

Agree to disagree. Let's revisit this conversation 2-3 years into PS6 vs Nintendo.

Markio128

Gold Member
Agree to disagree. Let's revisit this conversation 2-3 years into PS6 vs Nintendo.
Folk are assuming that the PS6 will just be a more powerful PS5. There’s literally nothing stopping Sony from taking the Switch route by releasing a hybrid console. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if both Xbox and Sony went down that route. You can’t hide success.

Fabieter

Folk are assuming that the PS6 will just be a more powerful PS5. There’s literally nothing stopping Sony from taking the Switch route by releasing a hybrid console. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me if both Xbox and Sony went down that route. You can’t hide success.

And? As long as Nintendo sticks to exclusives than it won't matter.

BlackTron

Gold Member

If Nintendo had launched Switch in an environment where everybody knew BOTW would be on PC in 2 years, would it be where it is today?

Of course hardware matters, but we're talking software strategy atm

vivftp

We already have a rumor (unsure of its reliability) of Sony developing a new handheld device that can play PS4 games and select patched PS5 games. I think that could introduce a new factor in the console generation cycle where we get the baseline console and then around the mid-way point we get the Pro and Portable versions of that console. Sony already has the Portal to use as a baseline template, the handheld could just be a chonkier Portal to account for the additional hardware and larger battery.

I'm not so sure about the idea of Sony launching a hybrid at the start of a gen. I think they'll continue to strive for cutting edge tech at the start of a gen, and then release the handheld variant later, just like they release a Pro later. Whatever lessons they learn this gen with regards to hardware and software dev could help shape and refine things for next gen.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Fast fowarding to today:

i believe that Q&A quote is not from Sony. Its a theory from a random twitter guy

Fabieter

100% to ease their userbase. This will ultimately fail too. People aint stupid and won't stick to you just because of your brand recognition.

simpatico

No, because it's a third party game and it doesn't muster the excitement of a Horizon game by itself that can sell 10+M on a single platform.

There's legitimate concerns about spending the time/money/effort to put this ONLY on PS5 and have it sell a few hundred thousand, when it will sell millions across both PC and Switch where there are additional casual audiences and families they can extend into.
I don't think Horizon sells that much if it's third party and not given that first party marketing boost. Plus there's the sense that if you own a PS5, you're obligated to buy the "big exclusives". If Horizon was some Eido multiplat, it would still be fine, it would just be acknowledged as the 7.5-8 decent game that it is.
So Australia is coming to Forza confirmed
Isn't Playground busy ruining Fable? Are they big enough for two AAA projects?

midnightAI

Why on earth would Sony do that? Especially if MS went that route, Sony would have the regular home console market all to themselves.

I don't think Horizon sells that much if it's third party and not given that first party marketing boost. Plus there's the sense that if you own a PS5, you're obligated to buy the "big exclusives". If Horizon was some Eido multiplat, it would still be fine, it would just be acknowledged as the 7.5-8 decent game that it is.

Nope. It would be acknowledged as the high 80s meta that it is - it's considerably better than any other open world multiplat like Ass Creed, which has garbage combat and story.

It would sell more as a multiplat for sure, but not worth the hit to the ecosystem

Top Bottom