• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lethal Company (solo dev gane) reaches 100k concurrent players on Steam

Made by a furry...

Im Not No Way GIF

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks janky and like it's made by a person of three.

Good lookin out on the success but let's not pretend this is some revolutionary game.

I also like how indies can fill a void but let's know that they're simple and basic in a lot ways most of the time.

Still deserves credit and it's cheap so good for him.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Does no one else love the fact that this game, that looks like **** graphically, has zero marketing budget, and is made by one person is absolutely curb stomping titles like BF2042, Halo Infinite, and Street Fighter 6?

All those AAA advantages and a guy going "Let's make a good game instead" is flourishing. You love to see it.

Porticus

likely not, but graphics and production values are everything to these people. can't seem to differentiate "this game sucks" from "this game isn't my thing"

Talk the guy with the shitty retarded avatar.

Graphics and production values are not everything, but they are part of the package and this is not present at all in this one.

Maybe doesn't play like a turd, but looks for sure like it.

StueyDuck

from what i've seen the game doesn't really seem to be doing anything new or unique.

but for a one person indie dev that is super well done, congratulations on them, hopefully that helps them create the perfect game they envision.

Last edited:

Pejo

How long until we get the counter tweets from other devs going "this better not raise the bar for us!" like the Baldur's Gate stuff?

Anyways, dunno about the game or the dev, but I'm happy he found success.

simpatico

Not directly talking about this game, but I'm liking Indie stuff more than a lot of the AAA without any reservations or asterisks. Give me The Last Faith over Ass Creed Mirage or Gotham Knights in a completely fair fight. You don't even have to say "well considering the budgets...". They're just straight up making better games in more and more of the cases.

Lux77

Would be interesting to know how many hours he worked on it.
But if Steam keeps 30%, the Dev should have made like >600k. Nice

Will probably try it, looks like fun.

"The game’s base price is $10. In the latest GameDiscoverCo newsletter, Simon Carless estimated its sales at 642,000 units, with a projected gross revenue of $5.7 million"

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Just because its not my thing, doesnt mean it doesn't look like a turd that people only enjoy because they can play with friends.
There are thousands of multiplayer games that are exclusive to co op or versus. So there's gotta be a good reason people pick this one over Mario Kart or Counter Strike.

Now, like i said, repeat after me: It's not my thing. That doesn't make it bad.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes. You can't fake this kind of organic growth.

The only reason it has become popular is because people are having so much fun with it that they're talking their friends into playing it with them.

That's the most undeniable endorsement of game quality we have.

It's pure.

I get that, but fun doesn't automatically equal good either.

MMaRsu

Banned
We talkin' about games baby. Not movies. Games.

Hmm ok one is fun to play the other is fun to watch. How does that make a difference in if something is a good game or movie?

I know im just arguiing semantics rn, but in all honesty I don't think because something is fun that that equals good as well.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Hmm ok one is fun to play the other is fun to watch. How does that make a difference in if something is a good game or movie?

I know im just arguiing semantics rn, but in all honesty I don't think because something is fun that that equals good as well.

I would argue fun is the only thing that matters when it comes to games. Fun or engagement, which are conjoined twins.

Can you give me an example of a (good) game that's not fun or engaging?

To me, it's almost like saying pleasant tasting food doesn't necessarily mean the food is good or not. Um...yes it does.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I would argue fun is the only thing that matters when it comes to games. Fun or engagement, which are conjoined twins.

Can you give me an example of a (good) game that's not fun or engaging?

To me, it's almost like saying pleasant tasting food doesn't necessarily mean the food is good or not. Um...yes it does.

I think maybe games like ICO or that game with the huge dog/cat thing.

Papers Please is a great game, but I wouldnt say it's 'fun'

Top Bottom