• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lethal Company (solo dev gane) reaches 100k concurrent players on Steam

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think maybe games like ICO or that game with the huge dog/cat thing.

Papers Please is a great game, but I wouldnt say it's 'fun'

To me, fun is just interesting. Fun is "I want to see what happens next". Obviously movies like Schindlers List or books like The Gulag Archipelago aren't fun, but they are interesting...which is an offshoot of fun.

Horror movies aren't fun, but they are exhilarating which is a kind of fun.

That being said, I will die on the hill of fun games being good games. You will not knock me off this hill. My mind is completely closed on this issue. I will protect my belief with every ounce of my being.

Attacking such a thing feels like a perversion of humanity. Joy, laughter, and excitement are some of the most valued human emotions. If a game can reliably give us that...it's good.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Silent Hill 2.

Also, chocolate is an extremely tasty food. That doesn't make it a delicacy or even good for your body.

Humans don't work like this though. You can't connect with people using this (perverted) form of thinking. Imagine approaching a stranger, sharing a piece of high quality chocolate with them, and starting the conversation by going "This chocolate is bad".

It doesn't make sense. You'd be like Dwight Schrute from The Office if you viewed the world this way.

Sympathy for the Devil lyrics...

"Just as every cop is a criminal
And all the sinners saints
As heads is tails
Just call me Lucifer
'Cause I'm in need of some restraint"

Pleasant tasting chocolate is good chocolate.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
157,000 is the new concurrent player high. The game is still growing. A long growth curve means the game is more likely to have lasting power. What a monster.

The game has an advanced proximity chat system that leads to funny situations so it’s not just a copycat. And you can do stuff like killing and cashing in your teammates body if you’re short of cash at the end of a mission. Mind you, I haven’t played it.

Creativity and talent wins again

15bec6172625237002bf1fb6245ce854.gif

People on this forum constantly complain that 'gaming is dead' yet all they play is the newest Gears of War, Spider-Man or at best, remaster/remake of a 2 years old AAA game. Maybe this hobby is not for you?
Bullseye

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Not my type of game, but it's always stunning to see these overnight sensations, where a solo indie dev becomes a multi-millionaire in two weeks with his dream game going viral. With one year dev time and no marketing budget.
Just like Phasmophobia three years ago and FNAF nine years ago. Impressive, and it shows that the gaming industry is still like the wild west.

Last edited:
Well people were calling you "Fredao" on Youtube so... that's your name right?

OOOOOOOOOOOOH NICE!

Make a thread here on GAF when you finish it!

I will!
My name is Frederico (or u can call me Fred or Derico lol. :D )

Ps: here in Brazil our grammar is hard, if u put "ão" after your name or things, like Fredão, its the same as Big Fred in english...Its an affectionate way to call people!

For other stuffs, things its just an augmentative like "Copão", in english would be Huge/big Cup.

Last edited:

chlorate

Lethal Company is more fun than Starfield or Spider-Man 2. Yes, it looks like a PSX game, but the low-fi graphics make the horror more atmospheric and the NPC design is superb.

I struggle to think of a level in an AAA game more memorable than trudging through the snow into the mansion on Rend and encountering the things that await you inside

stickkidsam

Been playing this with my brothers and the game is fucking great. So many fantastic elements working together!

Proximity chat doesn’t just stop at changing how you sound at a distance. It will also change based on environmental factors (e.g. you sound muffled if something drops on your head), communicating info to anyone who can hear you. When you die your mic cuts off and you get to watch as your teammates figure out (or completely miss) your demise. Whatever happens, you’ll be ready to laugh at them should they join you in the afterlife chat.

Each monster feels like a unique threat that must be dealt with in its own way. Sometimes that means needing a friend to whack ya with a stop sign. Sometimes that just means running the fuck away faster than your friend lol

The procedurally generated indoor areas of each map offer a surprising amount of variety, even if you’ll be familiar with each room’s structure already. It’s navigating that with your fellow crew that makes it all the more rewarding to explore.

The ship also has so many cool functions; from a store you can purchase new tools with, to a bestiary, to a radar which you can use to provide information to your teammates (walkie-talkie required) as they navigate each area. It works so seamlessly with each mechanic!

I could go on and on, but the point is that this game is able to create a range of great moments. You’ll be shitting your hazmat suit one minute and laughing your ass off the next! The game does have some minor issues such as random glitches or enemy ai occasionally not functioning right (or at least appearing not to). The progression system could also do with at least something permanent too. To my knowledge nothing you purchase, cosmetic or otherwise stays with you if your team is wiped. There also seems to be some occasional networking issues between the host and other players. I’ve only experienced it a couple times and the host restarting the game seemed to resolve it at least.

I gotta try playing with randoms so I’m not sure how that goes, but I can imagine it being a blast. If you enjoy co op, horror, or just having a laugh, try it out! It’s $10 so get in there and find some scrap! The company values your contributions.

Top Bottom