• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P or Lords of the Fallen - Help Me Choose

Which should I buy?

• Lies of P

Votes: 58 87.9%
  • Lords of the Fallen

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
I’m in the mood for a souls-like. I’m playing on PS5. Which is the better game?

For reference I’ve beaten all of the From games like a dozen times. I want something as close to those as possible. Cool world, rewarding exploration, tight combat.

Thank you for your time.

GymWolf

Lies of p is the vastly better game except for level design.

Level design in lop is good, but lotf level design is ds1 good, also loot is more ala dark souls, lots of armours, weapons, shields and shit.

Play lop first, it's as good as some from titles and incredibly well optimized.

Lotf is still getting patched a lot.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I only played Lies of p so far. It's very good.
Lords of the Fallen was released in a poor state, but has gotten plenty of patches, fixing performance and game mechanics. So I'll probably pick it up later.

But for now, I would tell you to go with Lies of P.

MiguelItUp

Lies of P by a landslide IMO. I'm biased, never touched Lords of the Fallen, but I haven't seen or heard great things about it. Lies of P I completed and absolutely adored. I feel like those devs sold their soul to the devil or something because the quality and the optimization is baffling for a AA studio, it's SO good. Cannot wait for the DLC and sequel.

DragonNCM

Lies of P is damn good, playing it right now via gamepass. I'll wait Lords of the fallen to be on sales.
Combat, story, performance & graphic presentation is phenomenal for indi game.

Lux R7

Lies of P is a fantastic, well crafted action/adventure title with souls combat (more like bb and sekiro), it's linear
Lotf is more like dark souls in terms of exploration, drops, builds and world design. I personally love it.
You should play both.

GymWolf

Can I piggy back and ask, which should I try first, Wild Hearts or Lies of P
Completely different genre dude.

Also, wild hearts was in an absolutely sorry state at launch, like really really bad and i have no idea if they fixed it.

The game was a decent monster hunter clone with some neat unique features, but it had a low number of monsters and you have to like a bit the whole build shit on the fly ala fortnite.

Lokaum D+

Lies of P and its not even fair.

Lies of p is the vastly better game except for level design.

Level design in lop is good, but lotf level design is ds1 good.

Play lop first, it's as good as some from titles and incredibly well optimized.

Lotf is still getting patched a lot.

Dont agree, i think LotF level desgn is a mess and really hard to read, comparing with DS1 is a heresy imo.

LoP despite being a linear progression the level desing is really good and do a great job helping the lore through it.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Really enjoyed the first few hours of Lords of the Fallen...only to realize this is all I was going to get. Same mobs over and over again and the Umbral World is just becoming a chore to play through. Stopped playing after about 8 hours. Don't think I'll go back to it. A shame because it's a solid game at its core.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Completely different genre dude.

Also, wild hearts was in an absolutely sorry state at launch, like really really bad and i have no idea if they fixed it.

The game was a decent monster hunter clone with some neat unique features, but it had a low number of monsters and you have to like a bit the whole build shit on the fly ala fortnite.
I totally get they are different genres. Just meant, which is the better game to play. I like both genres a ton. I didn’t want to create a new thread was all.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I totally get they are different genres. Just meant, which is the better game to play. I like both genres a ton. I didn’t want to create a new thread was all.
Lop is one of the best games of the year, wh is a decent 7 when it doesn't run like absolute shit.

But if you like monster hunter games way more than souls games, then one game being better than the other is not really important.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Lop is one of the best games of the year, wh is a decent 7 when it doesn't run like absolute shit.

But if you like monster hunter games way more than souls games, then one game being better than the other is not really important.
Well shit bro, I like both genres about the same, hahaha. I’ll just go with Lies Of P.

Or should I do new game + Demon’s Souls? God damn it. Too many games that I want to play and replay.

GymWolf

Lies of P and its not even fair.

Dont agree, i think LotF level desgn is a mess and really hard to read, comparing with DS1 is a heresy imo.

LoP despite being a linear progression the level desing is really good, even telling the "story of the world" through it.
Many people compared the level design to the one in ds1, it's basically the biggest praise the game receive on any forum, reddit etc.

It is easy to get lost but that is the quintessential souls experience unless you always knew where to go in those titles (and getting lost is not a bad thing for many people).

The amount of times you return to the main place from completely different location is nothing short of excellent and awe inspiring.

Lop does that sometimes but not even close to fallen.

Lop remain the vastly superior game for everything else. (Except maybe loot type if you like your classic shields and armours)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Well shit bro, I like both genres about the same, hahaha. I’ll just go with Lies Of P.

Or should I do new game + Demon’s Souls? God damn it. Too many games that I want to play and replay.
Go with lop, i liked it more than demons personally.

Boss quality alone is night and day.

But you should still try wh if they fixed the performance, i liked what i played in the demo (of course still an universe away from monster hunter) and i usually absolutely hate every mh clone and can't play more than 10 min of them.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Go with lop, i liked it more than demons personally.

Boss quality alone is night and day.

But you should still try wh if they fixed the performance, i liked what i played in the demo (of course still an universe away from monster hunter) and i usually absolutely hate every mh clone and can't play more than 10 mon of them.
Thanks for the advice.

Lokaum D+

Many people compared the level design to the one in ds1, it's basically the biggest praise the game receive on any forum, reddit etc.

It is easy to get lost but that is the quintessential souls experience unless you always knew where to go in those titles (and getting lost is not a bad thing for many people).

The amount of times you return to the main place from completely different location is nothing short of excellent and awe inspiring.

Lop does that sometimes but not even close to fallen.

Lop remain the vastly superior game for everything else.
if u mean that its close to DS1 because the game loops you back to the main hub or earlier areas i agree, but if you are talking about environmental storytelling ( that is what makes DS1 and From games great imo ), i couldnt desagree more, on the mark LoP is way closer to From them LotF ll ever be, but thats my opnion.

Last edited:

GymWolf

if u mean that its close to DS1 because the game loops you back to the main hub or earlier areas i agree, but if you are talking about environmental storytelling ( that is what makes DS1 and From games great imo ), i couldnt desagree more, on the mark LoP is way closer to From them LotF ll ever be, but thats my opnion.
I was not talking about enviromental storytelling, no.

Tbf, i could not care less about fromsoft enviromental storytelling, i'm more of a direct approach guy with stories and plot, that's why i actually gave a fuck about lop story and characters (that still has some secrets and shit to discover but less obtuse than from games).

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Wild hearts support has been discontinued so if you plan on doing some multiplayer might as well jump on that first, it's not gonna receive more patches either.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Lords of the fallen is a joke game. People telling you it’s good are high. It’s patched constantly ? Cool. Lies of P launched in a 100% god tier polished state and had only one bug that was patched out in less than a week.

Lies of P is a hair shy of fromsoftware levels of excellence.

Lords of the fallen is the singed ass hair of games. King Kong game is better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom