• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT has built a PC that outperforms PS5 at the same price point

Skifi28

On PC cost of games is even less with subscriptions. For example I wanted to play Jedi Survivor on launch, games was $69.99. But I bought one moth of EA Play for $14.99 and completed game in this time frame. You can do the same with Ubisoft games, MS games, all GP games etc. And there are NEW games here.

PS Plus offers only older titles.
I don't think anyone can disagree about games being cheaper on PC, the point I was making though is that it's wrong to calculate the subscription to play online as just pure cost. I also believe the EA and Ubisoft subscriptions are also a available on PSN/xbl so you can do the same there.

Then you realize PC optimization is ass in most modern games and you just wasted your money on a potato that the PS5 will outperform in most real world scenarios.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would like to challenge the "cheaper games on PC" narrative.
I have a PS5, and I can buy physical games from any store. Some of these stores offer day one PS5 games (let's say ff7 rebirth) at 60€ instead of 80€, so if you want to pretty much not spend anything, you can get games online at cheaper prices, finish them, and then resell them.

I probably just lose 5 to 10€ for each game that I buy, and the only negative is that once I sell the game, I would have to buy it again to replay it. And even that isn't a big problem anymore thanks to ps plus games arriving on the service 1 to 2 years later.

So if you are tight on a budget, you can use this obvious trick that I never see get mentioned, and have not only the hardware at a low price, but the games too.

This is your example of cheap gaming on console?
Might as well just use a service like Game Pass if you’re just renting your games.

My PC library eclipses everything I’ve ever had in four decades of consoles. From my personal experience with both PC is much cheaper.

Consoles don't have constant bundle deals, with the ability to trade/sell digital keys. There’s no price competition in the digital front. No constant free games dropping in your lap (actual free, not subscription rentals). No discounted preorders on upcoming or new releases.

There’s no contest when it comes to game prices.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Then you realize PC optimization is ass in most modern games and you just wasted your money on a potato that the PS5 will outperform in most real world scenarios.
As evidenced by Rich’s video? Sure lol.

Ignorant takes like this is why these stupid back-and-forths never end. One side makes a moronic comment, then the other makes an even dumber one.

Zathalus

Switch that to UK prices and you're at £730, so $922 US. LOL
Just don't go with the same case or PSU then. Those can fluctuate widely between markets, so change them:

£585 then, also US prices don't generally include tax.

You think you will play all games on the level than the ps5 for 4 to 5 years?
Not all games, I did say roughly. It will play some worse then PS5 but others it will play better. The only real limitation is the 8GB VRAM, but you can go up to the 16GB 7600 XT or 12GB 6700 XT for a extra $60.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yep. Millions of views and hundreds of thousands of dollars from making poorly made and ill-informed videos.

Didn’t he just get in hot water for misleading people? I forget the details, but I’m surprised he’s still around.

John Wick

It seems that the console business is changing, PS5 has not dropped in price since launch in 2020, while the PC market has returned to normalized pricing after the crypto crash.

Right now is much more profitable a PC to play, not only you can get one for the price of practically a console, but you have free online, much cheaper games, mods, community patches, free games without subscriptions (epic games), access to all xbox day 1 exclusives, access to almost all playstation exclusives, the entire PC catalog, gamepass, emulation, freedom to use any type of controller, multiple screens or ultrawide....

So my question is what is the excuse now for console gamers?

So build me a PC for £380 brand new with controller as good as Dual Sense.

Bojji

I don't think anyone can disagree about games being cheaper on PC, the point I was making though is that it's wrong to calculate the subscription to play online as just pure cost. I also believe the EA and Ubisoft subscriptions are also a available on PSN/xbl so you can do the same there.

EA Play is part of GP and you can buy it on PS5 but that includes older EA games.

I believe EA Play Pro and Ubisoft+ are PC exclusive where you have new releases in sub as well.

Just don't go with the same case or PSU then. Those can fluctuate widely between markets, so change them:

Not all games, I did say roughly. It will play some worse then PS5 but others it will play better. The only real limitation is the 8GB VRAM, but you can go up to the 16GB 7600 XT or 12GB 6700 XT for a extra $60.

Yep, that vram is only potentially limiting thing. That's why 6700XT is the best deal right now (new) but these cards are going extinct.

Assuming you want the same size just use the TV.

I use my B2 55 OLED as display for both PS5 and 3080ti. It's amazing :messenger_heart:

Last edited:
I loved how they seem to exclude the cost of a operating system, an official pad, wi-fi 6 and Bluetooth all of which comes as standard with the PS5

Gaiff

Didn’t he just get in hot water for misleading people? I forget the details, but I’m surprised he’s still around.
A bit. Gamers Nexus called them out and they lost a few hundreds of thousands of subscribers and released an apology video promising to do better in the future.

Just a small bump in the road. It takes more than that to really trouble a channel with 15M subscribers.

Kokoloko85

The guy has always had a hardon for hating PS5.
Can it play Spiderman 2, GT7, God of War Ragnarok, Demons Souls etc at at 60fps though?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
What about the house!? You need an house, is that priced in?

Peoples complaining for BR drive on PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Funny GIF

I haven’t had a drive in 15 years if not more. Heck, last game I recall buying physical media on PC is silent hill 3, 21 years ago.

I guess we’ll wait for the inevitable PS6 without any physical media (inevitable) to make a « fair » comparison.

What about your library you purchase not updating and taking advantage of your new « pro » or next gen consoles? The price for what amounts to a freaking patch to those upgrades? How many consoles you keep around to keep your PS2 & PS3 library? Or you just throw that out? I have games from day 1 steam’s opening.

When I upgrade parts I sell them because there’s no « gen » attached to it. Mind blowing.

Epic games literally gives free games. Like what, every week. No subscription.
What are you talking about. Buying a completed ready to go product or a DIY set are two completely different value propositions.

IKEA vs BO concept furniture etc. IKEA furniture is cheap because you build it yourself.

Fabieter

There are old card who perform worse over time. Anyway your 16gb is card is like 400 bucks in europe.

Zathalus

There are old card who perform worse over time. Anyway your 16gb is card is like 400 bucks in europe.
The 7600XT isn't exactly old and the 6700XT is the exact same technology that is in the PS5. You can also pick up either card for 360 euro, with the build I linked being around 690 euro or so. More expensive then in the USA but hardly breaking the bank, which was my point.

What's this dumb obsession with matching the entry price?

Consoles are all about paying a low entry price and then paying an extra for features like playing online, or more expensive games

For 700€ you can get a slightly better experience on PC than the one you'll get on consoles, but the value isn't that great for it's cost, a 4070 is near 500€ nowadays, a PC with that should be 1000-1100€ and you are getting 2 to 3x the console performance, and you'll still save money by not paying for online, cheaper games, or not having to buy multiple consoles since you get Switch, Xbox and PS5 "exclusives"

Fabieter

The 7600XT isn't exactly old and the 6700XT is the exact same technology that is in the PS5. You can also pick up either card for 360 euro, with the build I linked being around 690 euro or so. More expensive then in the USA but hardly breaking the bank, which was my point.

My point is that someone paying 550 euro today for a fullprice ps5 will be able to play all playstation games until 2030, maybe even a bit further. I bet against you that your rig will make it this long.

Zathalus

My point is that someone paying 550 euro today for a fullprice ps5 will be able to play all playstation games until 2030, maybe even a bit further. I bet against you that your rig will make it this long.
Sure, I see no reason why it won't hold up. Especially the 6700XT card considering it's 15-30 percent faster in today's games.

Topher

Gold Member
Also games on Xbox / PSN stores are discounted to much the same degree as PC games. The Xbox store has a sale every week of the year, the PSN store every two weeks. Any game you want is likely to be on sale shortly, often by a large amount.

Just not true. You can find most PC games discounted at any time from completely legit key resellers like green man gaming and fanatical. You can also preorder PC games at a discount from sites like green man gaming. I can preorder Dragon's Dogma 2 with an 18% discount from GMG. $70 from both Xbox and PS.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not watching the video, but the title and comments seem to be opposite of each other.

So does this PC outperform the PS5 or not?

Gaiff

A GTX 970 can still play most modern games.

Topher

Gold Member
Not watching the video, but the title and comments seem to be opposite of each other.

So does this PC outperform the PS5 or not?

They built a PC that no one in their right mind would build. It may outperform PS5 in some games, but the GPU is highly suspect from what some have said here. Ultimately, this was a useless exercise and the very definition of clickbait.

A GTX 970 can still play most modern games.
No it can't. Yes on sub HD with low to Medium settings.
GTX 970 is an antique unless you dont care for graphics. But if that's the case get a Switch or Series S.

That and there is little room for overhead. The memory just isnt enough even if you can OC it, which gives you a small boost.

It's a decent card, but not for modern games with decent settings. :)
Unless you want to play Fortnite or older games.

Last edited:

Sertyak

Neo Member
This is your example of cheap gaming on console?
Might as well just use a service like Game Pass if you’re just renting your games.

My PC library eclipses everything I’ve ever had in four decades of consoles. From my personal experience with both PC is much cheaper.

Consoles don't have constant bundle deals, with the ability to trade/sell digital keys. There’s no price competition in the digital front. No constant free games dropping in your lap (actual free, not subscription rentals). No discounted preorders on upcoming or new releases.

There’s no contest when it comes to game prices.
Even buying from the cheapest key shop, you are not spending 10€ to get triple a games on day one. I don't think that people that want to spend as little as possible on games care about building a library. I don't understand why you are talking about digital games when in my example I'm excluding them from the equation entirely. Ps plus isn't required for free to play games, which is 90%+ of online games today.
Yes, this is my example of cheap gaming on console, where you get any game that you want for a couple of months and then resell it for 85% of the price.
If bundle deals gave games coming out now for free there would be no contest, but we know that's not our reality.

Gaiff

No it can't. Yes on sub HD with low to Medium settings.
Yeah, just like a PS4 has been doing for like 7 years, so yes, it can.
GTX 970 is an antique unless you dont care for graphics. But if that's the case get a Switch or Series S.
And do you think the PS5 will play 2030 games at 60fps/High settings? Of course, not. The other poster was saying that a console can last a decade. So can a decently specced PC but you can't seriously say you'll get high frame rates and resolution when the console is a decade old.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

From my very own experience

Forza Horizon 5
Microsoft Flight Simulator
HiFi Rush
Plague Tale requiem
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank
Cyberpunk
Stray
Resident evil anything

List goes on

Are perfect and super optimized. Can't say they were all perfect day 1 but they are all patched and running near flawless now. Outside of maybe inherent UE4 problems which consoles suffers too.

For every Last of Us Part 1 shitfest there's a dozen more that are perfectly fine.

What you realize quite soon though is how consoles are ass with image quality to even reach 60 fps.

Mortisfacio

Forza Horizon 5
HiFi Rush
Plague Tale requiem
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank
Cyberpunk
Stray
Resident evil anything

List goes on

Are perfect and super optimized. Can't say they were all perfect day 1 but they are all patched and running near flawless now. Outside of maybe inherent UE4 problems which consoles suffers too.

For every Last of Us Part 1 shitfest there's a dozen more that are perfectly fine.

What you realize quite soon though is how consoles are ass with image quality to even reach 60 fps.

Exactly. People seem to forget games like Jedi: Survivor launched with lows of 30fps/648p in performance mode on PS5. A current Gen system with resolution that was outdated 2 decades ago...

Topher

Gold Member

Forza Horizon 5
HiFi Rush
Plague Tale requiem
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank
Cyberpunk
Stray
Resident evil anything

List goes on

Weird for consoles to talk about optimization when so many of us are looking at each and every game to find out if a 60fps mode even exists. And the ones that do often have to be upscaled from sub HD resolutions. Sounds to me like devs are simply using dynamic resolution on consoles as a crutch and calling it "optimized".

Yeah, just like a PS4 has been doing for like 7 years, so yes, it can.
No it cant. Stop it. PS4 was designed WAY differently to optimise GPU/ CPU handling. You can't compare the 2.

Oh and PS4 might be set to 1080P in the menus, but thats not the fixed resolution its rendering games at. ;)
It can do neat upscaling but not a chance in Hell it renders everything natively at the set display resolution. :)

Even my 2070 Super wasnt enough to play MW3 with everything on High and that card is 3 generations newer.

The GTX 970 is an absolete paperweight.

I guess we're just miles off when it comes to what we think is "decent". Low to medium on subpar resolution (1080P or lower) isnt decent in my book.

Shit: 1080p low/medium
Decent: 1440P Medium/ High
Good: 1440P - 4K Medium High
Ultra-get-yer-checkbooks out: 4K High Ultra

Last edited:

solidus12

Oh look, it’s the expert who was salty about the PS5’s SSD because he didn’t understand how things work and had to be schooled by Tim Sweeney.

Gaiff

No it cant. Stop it. PS4 was designed WAY differently to optimise GPU/ CPU handling. You can't compare the 2.
With lower than low settings? Sure lol.
Oh and PS4 might be set to 1080P in the menus, but thats not the fixed resolution its rendering games at. ;)
It can do neat upscaling but not a chance in Hell it renders everything natively at the set display resolution. :)

Even my 2070 Super wasnt enough to play MW3 with everything on High and that card is 3 generations newer. dont kid yourself ok?
And it's cute you think that the PS4 runs MW3 at similar settings and resolution compared to your 2070S. The PS4 version uses a bunch of custom settings that aren't even available on PC because they're lower than the lowest preset.
The GTX 970 is an absolete paperweight.
It's a decade old but can still play most modern games better than the PS4.

Cyberpunk 2077, 1080p medium.

Here are 12 games that run perfectly fine on the 970, including some that are current-gen only.

Too many liberties taken in that video. They didn't include a Windows license. They chose that Intel GPU then proceeded to show how buggy and not worth the effort ARC GPUs still are. And it's all 2nd hand parts still? Come on.

Gaiff

Too many liberties taken in that video. They didn't include a Windows license. They chose that Intel GPU then proceeded to show how buggy and not worth the effort ARC GPUs still are. And it's all 2nd hand parts still? Come on.
Because it's not needed. What year you guys think this is? 1997?

Top Bottom