• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT has built a PC that outperforms PS5 at the same price point

Zathalus

Plenty of games launch which have serious issues which affect all the players. EA WRC and other Unreal stutter engine games for example.
Yes, shader stutter issues impact all. But they are hardly most games and thanks to UE5 being far better at UE4 when it comes to shader stutter, it is becoming less common as well.

Fortnite, Immortals of Aveum, Robocop, Layers of Fear, Remnant 2, Tekken 8, Nightingale, and Talos 2 are all UE5 games and none have shader stutter.

Chastten

Banned
Arguably PC gaming is worse than it used to be. It used to be simpler and there was less of a problem of PC games stuttering or having other performance niggles during the PS360 generation. You also often need a much more powerful PC simply to match a weaker console now.

On paper my PC is much quicker than my Series S and yet games such as WRC 9/10/Generations run flawlessly on the Xbox but need all kinds of tweaking on the PC and even then it's still not quite as good. (Please, PCMR folks, don't bother to reply to this and tell me I'm 'wrong' or offer 'advice'.)

During the PS360 generation everything was simpler. No RT, no HDR, no upscaling which devs increasingly use as a crutch rather than optimise their code better.

Haha, yeah, I was comparing it to like 20 years ago tbh, which is the last time I was playing a lot of PC-games. Since then we've had the whole installation and update thing streamlined via various launchers, cross saves are often a thing now, controller integration is pretty good since the Xbox 360 pad became the default option. And plenty of other things have vastly improved since then. I mean, none of it is perfect and plenty of games still don't have these things but it's most certainly a lot better than 20 something years ago.

I recently played Palworld and Granblue Fantasy Rising on a midrange/budget PC (Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB RAM & Radeon RX6600XT) and I was surprised by how well they ran and looked on my 1440p monitor at high settings. Controller support was perfect as well.

I mean, I still prefer my Switch for the extra ease of use, but PC is a viable option for casual gaming these days.

Fabieter

End of the day, this fool got his clicks that he wanted for his youtube channel didnt he so you've played into his hands.

youtube will send him another plaque for his wall.

This! He knows his audience, and considering OP's last point, I'm pretty sure no one will bother to build anything like that. It's just used for some toxic clicks. Anyone cheering for this is on the same page as console warriors, though.

Sertyak

Neo Member
I would like to challenge the "cheaper games on PC" narrative.
I have a PS5, and I can buy physical games from any store. Some of these stores offer day one PS5 games (let's say ff7 rebirth) at 60€ instead of 80€, so if you want to pretty much not spend anything, you can get games online at cheaper prices, finish them, and then resell them.

I probably just lose 5 to 10€ for each game that I buy, and the only negative is that once I sell the game, I would have to buy it again to replay it. And even that isn't a big problem anymore thanks to ps plus games arriving on the service 1 to 2 years later.

So if you are tight on a budget, you can use this obvious trick that I never see get mentioned, and have not only the hardware at a low price, but the games too.

I mean ... great. Linus douche tips made a PC for the same price as a PS5, but it has zero of the features and can run no PS5 games. Fantastic, well done lad.

Elysium44

Banned
I have a PS5, and I can buy physical games from any store. Some of these stores offer day one PS5 games (let's say ff7 rebirth) at 60€ instead of 80€, so if you want to pretty much not spend anything, you can get games online at cheaper prices, finish them, and then resell them.

I probably just lose 5 to 10€ for each game that I buy, and the only negative is that once I sell the game, I would have to buy it again to replay it. And even that isn't a big problem anymore thanks to ps plus games arriving on the service 1 to 2 years later.

So if you are tight on a budget, you can use this obvious trick that I never see get mentioned, and have not only the hardware at a low price, but the games too.

Also games on Xbox / PSN stores are discounted to much the same degree as PC games. The Xbox store has a sale every week of the year, the PSN store every two weeks. Any game you want is likely to be on sale shortly, often by a large amount.

Fredrik

People are afraid of adding it all up. It rarely ends at $500.
Yes you can go cheap on PC, but as an enthusiast gamer you likely won’t.

But it’s kinda the same on console too, yes you can skip the midgen console upgrades and only play offline and only choose one of PS and Xbox, but as an enthusiast gamer you likely won’t.

Add it all up and you’ll see the real cost. It’s an expensive hobby…

I have the real total cost of all my console costs (MS, Sony, Nintendo) including online gaming and midgen upgrades written up over 10 years. And I have the totals for all my PC gaming including GPU upgrades over 10 years.

For me the PC hobby has been about 2x more expensive than my complete console hobby, that includes all consoles and all midgen upgrades.
This is not what’s required but what has happened as an enthusiast gamer.

That said, I still think it’s worth it to have a PC. For me it’s like a constant Pro console, framerates are higher, visuals are better, I have mods, often cheaper games from more store competition and no online paywalls, can go higher in performance day 1 if I want or upgrade whenever I want or use lower settings.

But I’ve never done a real swap. That’s a big step to make. But last year my console hours were so low that this year I’ll experiment with a real swap. Should happen within a month. I won’t sell the consoles and I’ll keep Nintendo in my living room equation, but I will try to not use Xbox or PS for a year or two to see the ups and downs.

Before I start I can see the big consequences be something like this:
* waiting for Sony first party releases, sometimes many years
* no backwards compatible console games from PS3/4/XB1
* potentially having to deal with more noise
* occasional fiddling with mouse and keyboard in the living room for games without full controller support
* at first I planned to have a small sized PC but in the end I’m going with a bigger one so I’ll have a big bulky box in the living room, I’ll try to make it a special one, no boring huge black box

Last edited:

Zathalus

That is true, but I'd imagine most gamers would like to keep games once they purchase them. It is a good strategy for those really strapped for cash though. Gamepass/PS+ is also a good method to use for the gamer on a tiny budget.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

People are afraid of adding it all up. It rarely ends at $500.
Yes you can go cheap on PC, but as an enthusiast gamer you likely won’t.

But it’s kinda the same on console too, yes you can skip the midgen console upgrades and only play offline and only choose one of PS and Xbox, but as an enthusiast gamer you likely won’t.

Add it all up and you’ll see the real cost. It’s an expensive hobby…

I have the real total cost of all my console costs (MS, Sony, Nintendo) including online gaming and midgen upgrades written up over 10 years. And I have the totals for all my PC gaming including GPU upgrades over 10 years.

For me the PC hobby has been about 2x more expensive than my complete console hobby, that includes all consoles and all midgen upgrades.
This is not what’s required but what has happened as an enthusiast gamer.

That said, I still think it’s worth it to have a PC. For me it’s like a constant Pro console, framerates are higher, visuals are better, I have mods, often cheaper games from more store competition and no online paywalls, can go higher in performance day 1 if I want or upgrade whenever I want or use lower settings.

But I’ve never done a real swap. That’s a big step to make. But last year my console hours were so low that this year I’ll experiment with a real swap. Should happen within a month. I won’t sell the consoles and I’ll keep Nintendo in my living room equation, but I will try to not use Xbox or PS for a year or two to see the ups and downs.

Before I start I can see the big consequences be something like this:
* waiting for Sony first party releases, sometimes many years
* no backwards compatible console games from PS3/4/XB1
* potentially having to deal with more noise
* occasional fiddling with mouse and keyboard in the living room for games without full controller support
* at first I planned to have a small sized PC but in the end I’m going with a bigger one so I’ll have a big bulky box in the living room, I’ll try to make it a special one, no boring huge black box
Dont forget the mistakes youll make as a newcomer, I got three CPU, two motherboards, three coolers and three cases before I settled on my build.

If you want to play online with our ps5 you have to be honest about the cost.

400€ PS5
ca. 430€ PSN+ for 6 years

So for an online gamer the ps5 costs 835€ when you plan to use it online for its life cicle. If you plan to get a ps5 pro mid-gen. Well add that to the cost, minus the money you get for your old ps5.

...just saying.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, I was comparing it to like 20 years ago tbh, which is the last time I was playing a lot of PC-games. Since then we've had the whole installation and update thing streamlined via various launchers, cross saves are often a thing now, controller integration is pretty good since the Xbox 360 pad became the default option. And plenty of other things have vastly improved since then. I mean, none of it is perfect and plenty of games still don't have these things but it's most certainly a lot better than 20 something years ago.

I recently played Palworld and Granblue Fantasy Rising on a midrange/budget PC (Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB RAM & Radeon RX6600XT) and I was surprised by how well they ran and looked on my 1440p monitor at high settings. Controller support was perfect as well.

I mean, I still prefer my Switch for the extra ease of use, but PC is a viable option for casual gaming these days.

I play on a similar build (ryzen 5600 oc to 4.6, rx 6650xt, 16 gb ram) and most games run pretty well.
It is possible to do things on the cheap, you just need to know what to buy.

But also linus is a scumbag and clickbaited people as usual.
Some people will never learn...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah you could match the ps5... but why? Going either cheaper with less power or more expensive with more power makes more sense for a pc build.

Pedro Motta

Oh My God Wow GIF by MOODMAN

3.5 years later they still can't do it huh?

King Dazzar

I thought PC gaming was at its best with Windows 7. Hit more issues than I liked with W10, especially with regards HDR.

If I could get PlayStations OS running on a PC of my choosing, which had the same superb fully featured dualsense controller integration for all games. Then I would be easily tempted back. Until then....

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Why are so many pc gamers are behaving as missionaries? What can they not understand in that many console gamers just don’t want the bullshit that comes with pc gaming? Yeah, in theory this pc may match the ps5 for the same price (like this was some huge thing in the fourth year of this gen) but in actual use, most of the time the pc will struggle with driver problems, stuttering and other neverending problems. So I‘m asking again, why do pc gamers always try to indoctrinate console gamers?

edit: and now just realized that the video is also clickbait shit, so it’s not even true. This thread is a joke
You started off well, then ended up saying a bunch of bullshit.

SenkiDala

Let's not forget how those "CoMpArIzOnS" forget to include a DualSense and a 4KBR player (or they are comparing it to the PS5 digital but then they need to make a 399 build).

BlackTron

On paper my PC is much quicker than my Series S and yet games such as WRC 9/10/Generations run flawlessly on the Xbox but need all kinds of tweaking on the PC and even then it's still not quite as good. (Please, PCMR folks, don't bother to reply to this and tell me I'm 'wrong' or offer 'advice'.)

You're not wrong. There is usually the best tool for a given job, but everyone tends to think the tool that they bought at Home Depot is best for it.

PC is like a Swiss army knife. It does everything, so if I have to pick one hardware to say, bring with me, laptop it is. But sometimes having a basic ass screwdriver is better.

Skifi28

400€ PS5

So for an online gamer the ps5 costs 835€ when you plan to use it online for its life cicle. If you plan to get a ps5 pro mid-gen. Well add that to the cost, minus the money you get for your old ps5.

...just saying.
If you want to be honest about it, then you should also calculate the games your subscription gives you which saves you money from having to buy stuff. When I had the basic service which gives about 3 games a month, I'd always end up saving money throughout the year. 80% of the stuff I already had or I didn't care for as I buy tons of games, yet the remaining 20% was always enough to offset the sub cost. I don't even care about playing online, I was always subscribed because it saved me money.

Yet for whatever reason everyone here just sees the subscription as just an extra cost.

kikkis

400€ PS5

...just saying.
Online in pc is riddled with cheaters, so you are just paying for quality in psn.

Buggy Loop

And let me guess the time it takes to build it is not taken into account?

What about the house!? You need an house, is that priced in?

Peoples complaining for BR drive on PC :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Funny GIF

I haven’t had a drive in 15 years if not more. Heck, last game I recall buying physical media on PC is silent hill 3, 21 years ago.

I guess we’ll wait for the inevitable PS6 without any physical media (inevitable) to make a « fair » comparison.

What about your library you purchase not updating and taking advantage of your new « pro » or next gen consoles? The price for what amounts to a freaking patch to those upgrades? How many consoles you keep around to keep your PS2 & PS3 library? Or you just throw that out? I have games from day 1 steam’s opening.

When I upgrade parts I sell them because there’s no « gen » attached to it. Mind blowing.

If you want to be honest about it, then you should also calculate the games your subscription gives you which saves you money from having to buy stuff. When I had the basic service which gives about 3 games a month, I'd always end up saving money throughout the year. 80% of the stuff I already had or I didn't care for as I buy tons of games, yet the remaining 20% was always enough to offset the sub cost. I don't even care about playing online, I was always subscribed because it saved me money.

Yet for whatever reason everyone here just sees the subscription as just an extra cost.

Epic games literally gives free games. Like what, every week. No subscription.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Primarily a PC gamer. Excuse currently, I can't play Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on PC. Rise of Ronin coming next month will also be a PS5 exclusive for some time. If day 1 exclusives go away on the PS5, I will sell it.
Same here, except I like to bitch about it. Switching inputs for exclusives is annoying. Also my first hour with FFVII Rebirth has been disappointing. Forced to redo the slow walking and crawling shit from the demo. When they said you can skip it, I played it thinking I could skip it.

It never works flawlessly. There are some games on PC which insist on showing the mouse pointer until you move the mouse, only then will using the gamepad make the pointer disappear. TLOU pt.1 does this on every start and Forza games sometimes do. There is always some level of rough edges with the PC experience.
Visible pointer is a nit. How about having to give every game permissions in the Xbox app. That shit shouldn't be in my way every f'ing game. Still prefer PC to consoles though.

Bojji

You need to spend atleast $1k usd to make a half decent gaming PC
You were already proven wrong few times in this thread. Around ~750$ for gaming PC that will be better than PS5 in almost all games.

On PC cost of games is even less with subscriptions. For example I wanted to play Jedi Survivor on launch, games was $69.99. But I bought one moth of EA Play for $14.99 and completed game in this time frame. You can do the same with Ubisoft games, MS games, all GP games etc. And there are NEW games here.

PS Plus offers only older titles.

Elysium44

Banned
Visible pointer is a nit. How about having to give every game permissions in the Xbox app. That shit shouldn't be in my way every f'ing game. Still prefer PC to consoles though.

I forgot about that, the Xbox app is not well designed for sure.

Steam is getting increasingly bloated and has various nags as well. I loaded up a game today I hadn't played in a while (Days Gone). I use a wireless Xbox One pad (Microsoft bluetooth adapter) but at the time I started the game I hadn't turned that on yet. Steam popped up a nag screen saying it is better to play with a controller, do you want to connect one now? (facepalm). At least I was able to select 'don't show this stupid nag screen again' option.

After playing the game and quitting, I held down the guide button on the controller to turn it off as I always do when finished with it, but somehow I managed to trigger Steam's big picture mode? I've never done this before. (I have tried the mode a few times but always intentionally.) I then couldn't figure how to turn it off so I just ALT+F4ed. Googled, looked in the Steam settings, everything you can disable related to it, already is disabled. Found recent posts on reddit of others complaining that this is a new bug Steam has introduced.

(not my reddit thread)

Usual useless advice of people telling you to do something without telling you how or where the obscure setting is.

Last edited:
I build my PC two years ago. Iirc 300 for the core HTPC form factor, box opened "used". 30 for extra RAM. 200 for an A2000, again used. So pretty close to the 549 I payed for my PS5 last year. With a smaller SSD and a big HDD to make up for that.
Performance probably around a PS4 (PRO) in most games and close to PS5 in other games (I like Trackmania's visuals on my PC better). But "only" 2560x1440 and basic RT. fauxK would tank it maybe.
In this SFF segment, building it today would probably cost more, despite 2 years passing. You either have to go with the APU or bite into stupidly priced pro cards.

welshrat

Another nonsense article, people generally don't buy consoles because they can't afford a PC. They are different bits of kit. I have PC in office (Good machine 5900X and 7900GRE) and PS5 in living room. I have said this many times before but consoles suit a different market. I used to have a second PC in the living room when PS4 was not hitting the framerate graphics that I wanted but it was a pain, looked out of place with all my other nice AV gear, still required some KB/M solution despite being wireless which is messy.

I won't go back to that setup and relish buying the PS5 Pro. I still even double dip on some games like BF2042 so that I can play them in both places but these systems are not the same.

Buggy Loop

I forgot about that, the Xbox app is not well designed for sure.

Steam is getting increasingly bloated and has various nags as well. I loaded up a game today I hadn't played in a while (Days Gone). I use a wireless Xbox One pad (Microsoft bluetooth adapter) but at the time I started the game I hadn't turned that on yet. Steam popped up a nag screen saying it is better to play with a controller, do you want to connect one now? (facepalm). At least I was able to select 'don't show this stupid nag screen again' option.

After playing the game and quitting, I held down the guide button on the controller to turn it off as I always do when finished with it, but somehow I managed to trigger Steam's big picture mode? I've never done this before. (I have tried the mode a few times but always intentionally.) I then couldn't figure how to turn it off so I just ALT+F4ed. Googled, looked in the Steam settings, everything you can disable related to it, already is disabled. Found recent posts on reddit of others complaining that this is a new bug Steam has introduced.

This sort of nonsense isn't on consoles.

You and Rofif are quite the pair for PC experiences

200w.gif

wheresoda.gif

violence

A PC like that, you’ll have to do lots of tinkering every time you start a new game. Not worth it. But the video is interesting to see the quarks of arc GPU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom