• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Wars Jedi Survivor

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just wrapped up my playthrough on Jedi Survivor and I gotta say it was a really great enjoyable Star Wars game.

I played through on Series X and waited until the majority of patches were out to ensure I could get a more or less solid 60FPS. Gameplay was absolutely brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyable. The lightsaber fighting was a little mashy at times but still more than serviceable.

Where this game really shined was the traversal! I absolutely loved it! awesome metroid style and once I had all the powers I felt like an absolute bad ass! - I more or less 100 percented it but game up on all the chests as it was a bit cack trhat these were just cosmetics, which gets onto the negatives.

Negatives, are some hokey writing and a less than great skill tree plus the abundance of cosmetics hidden away.

So, overall. Brilliant. I'll give it a solid 8.5 pushing to a 9 if you are a big Star Wars fan, like myself!

Well worth a playthrough in my opinion!

pxlwrld

Neo Member
Great time all around. Played on PC myself and with a couple of mods its performance woes are more ore less tolerable. Agree with everything you said, my only gripe with it was the hit-or-miss hitboxes. Some hard hitting enemies really should have been staggered sometimes by my strikes, especially in cross guard stance. It became frustrating sometimes.

violence

I know I’m not buying this on PC. It’s currently $35 on PSN. I was debating whether to get now or wait. Looks like I’ll get it now.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yeah, game is really good.
Even though I played at launch I had a blast with it.

Plot twist is really well executed in my opinion. To me Cal Kestis and this narrative currently carry the Star Wars franchise in terms of big medium.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This is number 3 in my list after Alan wake 2 then mirage. I enjoyed the first game aside from some bullshit. Hoping they fixed it in the new game.

Did they improve that map? And the fast travel points for the end of the level?

King Dazzar

I just wrapped up my playthrough on Jedi Survivor and I gotta say it was a really great enjoyable Star Wars game.

I played through on Series X and waited until the majority of patches were out to ensure I could get a more or less solid 60FPS. Gameplay was absolutely brilliant. Thoroughly enjoyable. The lightsaber fighting was a little mashy at times but still more than serviceable.

Where this game really shined was the traversal! I absolutely loved it! awesome metroid style and once I had all the powers I felt like an absolute bad ass! - I more or less 100 percented it but game up on all the chests as it was a bit cack trhat these were just cosmetics, which gets onto the negatives.

Negatives, are some hokey writing and a less than great skill tree plus the abundance of cosmetics hidden away.

So, overall. Brilliant. I'll give it a solid 8.5 pushing to a 9 if you are a big Star Wars fan, like myself!

Its on my to do list. Good to hear that you didnt encounter anything major technically. I only played the first 5 mins on PS5 but my initial impressions were very good.

StereoVsn

Is it still shit on PC? I actually have the EA store copy from AMD promo but was waiting for it to get patched up.

Otherwise will buy a used copy for PS or Xbox at some point.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Ill never get the hate for Cal. He even has a romance with Merrin, have you seen her ass?

great al pacino GIF

Topher

Gold Member
This is number 3 in my list after Alan wake 2 then mirage. I enjoyed the first game aside from some bullshit. Hoping they fixed it in the new game.

Did they improve that map? And the fast travel points for the end of the level?

The map is still a confused mess. Worst part of the game, imo, especially for those like me trying to track down collectibles for trophies.

Majormaxxx

I finished fallen order recently. Lookin forward to it. Did you play fallen order?

Luipadre

Finished it a few weeks ago. Game is still felt like it held together with ducktapes on PS5, cant imagine the launch version. Story was bad, villains were boring. Level design was great and the platforming, altho it was too much sometimes. Combat was still as jank as ever. Overall it was decent

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Did you play the first game? Is this one as difficult? (I played the first one on easy because I just wanted a dumb scifi world to explore)

I finished fallen order recently. Lookin forward to it. Did you play fallen order?

Yup, completed fallen order and this is better in every way imo.

Big scale, awesome use of environments and some great extra challenges to dig into.

Oh, as someone else said. Let me add my annoyances of hit boxes and deffo pressing up to heal, the game triggering the voice queue of " bd I need a stim" even doing the animation sometimes but it not triggering the heal!

Very annoying in difficult side content boss fights.

Apart from that, awesome game!

I really like what they did with Cal I'm this one and can't wait to see what happens in the third installment!

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
It's a phenomenal game and if it weren't for the performance/bugs issues, it would've been right in the middle of the GOTY conversation IMO,.

Svejk

Just picked this up yesterday myself. Really enjoyed the first one, so I can't wait to dive into this one.

yamaci17

It's a phenomenal game and if it weren't for the performance/bugs issues, it would've been right in the middle of the GOTY conversation IMO,.
it really wouldn't though. super forgettable cliché story
there's some character build up yeah but again, it literally is a placeholder story

it is like rogue one but without any satisfying end

overall game is good , very fun gameplay (this part can be in the goty conversation), creative map design, and some sequences are legit goty tier. but then again, all of it breaks apart due to non existent story. I already forgot about it. there were some good moments I remember about but overall the whole tanalorr storyline and leading up to it and the eventual result... it just so much feels like a placeholder story

which it is. but could've been much more.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
How and why in the FUCK is this game 150 gigs to download? It’s bigger than Red Dead, bigger than Witcher 3, GTAV etc. I just don’t get it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just finished this on PS5. I thought it was overall good, but the combat and exploration are not quite as good as they should have been. The combat feels really messy later in the game when they are throwing melee and ranged enemies at you, pressing up to heal doesn't always trigger a stim, sometimes the environment is too cluttered and it's not at all clear what the next step is, map is a travesty, all this stuff. It also still has technical problems. I played it on PS5 and had my fair share of crashes, texture loading issues, frame rate problems, etc. Really needed another 3-6 months of development and could have been a classic. It seems like EA doesn't care anymore. I did like the story though.

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Chiming in since I'm some 30 hours in. It's as good as the first one I'd say, slightly better due to more movement and combat options.

Really like the traversal and my only complaint about it is that it's not a bit more challenging, akin to the Prince of Persia games.

The combat, on the other hand, can be a hit or miss. It's excellent when it's one on one, but only if the enemy is not a red attack spammer. In group fights, it's almost always messy. It just doesn't seem designed for such encounters. I think that no animation cancelling kills it the most.
There's a fight in an area called Imperial post, where you have to fight like 3-4 waves of enemies. You're spammed by rocketeers, basic imps, tanky droids and you constantly have a feeling you're barely surviving, not playing methodically.

Top Bottom