• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Subnautica
Yup, Subnautica
small__0018_20150805_SN_Habitat_Album_4_observatory-low.jpg
2E7E384CB11248A4B9306F657F73C6757EDCDE6F

4F70E9EE7F28C5524CEAC3C3ACBB0306A7273E74
0ECFDC1318AB7658676D5442CCDB416D26F6B9C1

Lego Boss

This is like games used to be for me. I just feel compelled to go to the next thing nearby and it has that addicting 'one more go' element of all the greatest games.

I haven't been this invested in a game since GTA V and it's even giving that a run for its money.

I hope Avalanche do well out of it. Does anyone have any idea how it's doing at retail?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I Redboxed this game last night and can't stop playing. It's really enjoyable -- the world, first of all, is really cool. And I love the car combat so far. The melee combat is brutal and fun too. I must be missing something, regarding all the middling reviews, because this game seems fun as hell.

Is there a point when it just becomes the same shit over and over (main complaint of reviews) and that's when the game starts to become stale? Or do you guys think if I love the first 2 hours that this game is for me? I would rather play this right now than MGS5, honestly, I must be insane.

I'm driving around, visiting various sites to get bits for a project within Jeet's stronghold - specifically the project to get scrap whilst I'm not playing. However on the map the last site I need to visit was a site that I visited for another project and the part for the current project isn't there. Am I missing something? I have 3/4 of the parts required and there's no other part sites on my map.

Unity2012

So what is the general consensus/feedback for this game?

I haven't had the chance to catch up due to MGSV but I am planning to pick it up after if people say it's good. I know the reviews weren't kind, at least the first couple.

The game is great, really; at first I was just hoping it would be decent because I was playing MGSV but I keep coming back to Mad Max for more. It's just a lot of fun in a world that is vast, desolated and yet fun to run around accomplishing different goals.

heringer

You can get it on Steam Early Access for 20 bucks.

Currently on Early Access, the devs update regularly and even have a Trello board to document all their progress and future plans

Thanks guys. That looks right up my alley!

I know it's still on early access, but does the game "feel" complete already? In the sense of having objectives and things like that?

edit: just read that so far there's only one hour of content available. I'll keep my eyes on this, though.

d00d3n

I Redboxed this game last night and can't stop playing. It's really enjoyable -- the world, first of all, is really cool. And I love the car combat so far. The melee combat is brutal and fun too. I must be missing something, regarding all the middling reviews, because this game seems fun as hell.

Is there a point when it just becomes the same shit over and over (main complaint of reviews) and that's when the game starts to become stale? Or do you guys think if I love the first 2 hours that this game is for me? I would rather play this right now than MGS5, honestly, I must be insane.

I have played for 15 hours without reaching that point. I still think the gargantuan size of the game will be overwhelming if you try to complete all quests in a short period of time. They have done a good job of switching up ideas for the outposts you take over, much better than in Far Cry 3 or 4 imo, but there are so many outposts that you can start thinking "wow, I spent 4 hours taking over outposts in this little corner of the map, but looking at the full map I haven't accomplished much". I felt like this when I quit playing Friday, but now I am excited to continue playing (although I don't know when I will have the time).

Thanks guys. That looks right up my alley!

I know it's still on early access, but does the game "feel" complete already? In the sense of having objectives and things like that?

edit: just read that so far there's only one hour of content available. I'll keep my eyes on this, though.
Would disagree with that. Have definitely played for much more than an hour and haven't seen all the biomes. The underwater setting really reinvigorates the explore/craft/survive cycle. It really feels alien and just exploring must be planned because you need to watch your oxygen.

The best part is that the discovery is rewarding and everything you make improves your ability to explore. Pipes to carry oxygen down below, cables and beacons that you can follow to get out off dark seafloor caves, air sacs that shoot you to the surface, etc.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Well it had to happen eventually. Reached a point in the game that absolutely pisses me off. I assume it's the end of Act 3, with
the big death race against Stank Gum

I can barely get anywhere on this thing. The race track's edges are littered with little protruding objects that'll stop your vehicle dead, or worse, flip you around. There are way too many forces decimating your armor compared to how well you have to perform to chip away at your target's armor. My vehicle is utterly maxed out to this point, and it seems super difficult to race well, maintain your armor, and handle all the enemies and attacks.

Can games fucking cool it on switching to cinematic angles in the midst of continuous gameplay? When you swivel the camera to show my thunderpoon destroy an enemy car, I can no longer see where I'm fucking racing. Chances are strong I'm about to get screwed and smash into a wall on a turn, and that's really brutal and common in this sequence. I would love an option patched in to stop the camera moving. By all means, keep the moment of slow-motion to marvel at the destruction, but swiveling the camera is inexcusable in racing. Batman: Arkham Knight did the same stupid shit in those chase sequences.

Slixshot

Banned
I guess PS4, since his video footage is also from PS4.

Worddddd

I love this screenshot.

k-putt_madmax_001nlxl4.jpg

Major props to gaffer K-putt!

DAMNNN that's awesome!!! Can't wait to play this when I get around to it!

Thinking of getting this after wrapping up MGS5, What's everyones opinion about it?

The responses I've seen in this thread have been pretty great to amazing! :) Many people saying most reviewers had too high expectations or something because it's better than what they were saying. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting.

Definity

I finally beat the game today. Ended up somewhere around 50 hours played and 65% complete. Had a blast with it. I really like the
black leather jacket and interceptor
you get as a reward for finishing the game!

M_A_C

Anyone else struggle with the input lag on PS4? I really noticed it right off the bat. I wonder if it's better on 60 fps on PC.

Dominator

I didn't realize Jeet was a friendly so I went to a bunch of surrounding areas and cleared them out before going to his place for the first time lol

eshwaaz

I finally beat the game today. Ended up somewhere around 50 hours played and 65% complete. Had a blast with it. I really like the
black leather jacket and interceptor
you get as a reward for finishing the game!
Nice! Is there a new game+?

I'm at the fume head's debt point. I've been rushing through the story because I want to finish it to start mgs v. How far into am I. I really like the game but there are times I am look ugh I don't want to do an outpost Etc to progress the story lol I know I am weird but sometimes I just want to chill out and take them down over the Course of a year and not worry about the story

Great little moment just now: I accidentally came across a new convoy route with the convoy right behind me, and in my haste to get out of their way I went right up the wall of a little underpass cave thing and manage to block the convoy leader with the Magnum Opus causing a small pile up. I got out of the car and shot the leader's flame tank (the one on the back bumper) which caused the stream of fire to destroy all of his own War Boys' vehicles because everyone was blocked in.

One shotgun shell >>>> that convoy

madmax_201509051848003gscz.jpg

madmax_20150905184619j6ssi.jpg

Decided to pick this up using GMG 40% off which is quite good. Didn't want to wait until it was on sale 6 months for now, as I will split my time between this and MGS V for now. I just want a bearded Max.

Impulsor

Lol How'd you survive that fall?

I admit, I gave the game shit when I read some of the reviews but since then ive watched people play it and it looks cool as hell. Will be a definite pickup once I'm done with MGSV and Until Dawn.
Hell if I know. I had to suicide because I couldn't get back to the fight, because it was closed off with those flamethrowers that activate each time you fight a top dog.

And about subnautica. Awesome game. Feels wonderful to explore.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
How do you restock shotgun and thunderpoon aside from trawling the wastelands?
Jeet gives you a mission to rescue a guy who will open up armories in the strongholds, which will restock you. I believe it's the first mission he gives out.

M.W.

How do I get that armor piece for The Jack? It says I have a story mission to do but I can't figure it out.

SJRB

Gold Member
How do I get that armor piece for The Jack? It says I have a story mission to do but I can't figure it out.

My best guess is you need to downgrade the front grill [indicated by a small green dot].

Afterwards the mission end will trigger and the armor will be available.

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/Read-Me-First-The-Mad-Max-FAQ/td-p/758235

Q: I can’t finish the ‘Wasteland Classic’ mission. How come?

A: Make sure that all upgrades for ‘The Jack’ Archangel are GREEN, except for the Baby Bars armor upgrade. In order to access the Archangel menu, press ‘X’ on Xbox One, ‘Square’ on PS4, or ‘F’ on PC (default key map) in the Garage menu. (NOTE: In order to finish ‘The Jack’ you may have to install lower level parts than the ones you currently have installed. This includes getting rid of some upgrades entirely. These upgrades need to have a GREEN circle on top of the upgrade in the Garage menu.)

Once all upgrades for ‘The Jack’ are equipped, except the Baby Bars, exit the Garage menu, and the objective in the upper-right corner of the screen will update. (This objective will then take you to the required part for the Baby Bars upgrade.)

eshwaaz

Anyone care to share their PS4 performance experience? There's talk that DF may have analyzed before patches.
I'm fully patched, and performance seems to be getting worse the further in I get. I've been encountering some truly awful hiccups and chugging.

Anung

Un Rama
Finally got around to starting this and here's my super early first impressions.

- Australian accents are a nice change of pace.
- Combat is simplistic but really satisfying and meaty.
- Love the world. Being vast an empty actually works for this (unlike MGSV)
- Scavenging and survival elements are awesome.
- This game has the weakest jump in history.

Cynn

Are there motorbikes in this game? I know this is primarily about cars, but hey, Wez had a bike in Road Warrior. :)
Not only are their no motorbikes, but you can find a picture of a cycle and written on the back is: "What is this thing?!"

Roshin

Not only are their no motorbikes, but you can find a picture of a cycle and written on the back is: "What is this thing?!"

Lol, maybe they'll add bikes as DLC or in an expansion, then. :D

Tonight's highlight. I drove past some wasters who wanted water. I stopped and gave them some. Just as they finish drinking, I hear Chummers say "The enemy approaches!" and then WHOOSH, an enemy car slams into the wasters, just barely missing Max.

2015-09-06_000077sloo.jpg

Ledhead

Played for a good stretch today. Probably 6 hours or so. Jeet's threat is almost down to zero. I'm working on Gutgash's region now

Top Bottom