• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

dealer-

I won't push it, but I did say a sense of boredom was creeping in. It's not boring in the same way that Just Cause 2 was boring after a few hours, but there's a sense of that same kind of boredom slowly creeping in.

A good story mission or side activity would help...

Have you been to the airport/underdune yet? Great story mission and takes you off the beaten track for a bit.

daxy

I read about this game not really doing anything new, I've acknowledged it beforehand (rather than expecting something that this game isn't) and I'm okay with it. The screenshots look absolutely stellar. I enjoyed just driving around and taking in the scenery in Fuel, and I feel like I could get the same sense of space and visual satisfaction from pure exploration in Mad Max.

I did not get very much out of Shadow of Mordor, but I like cars, driving and solitary exploration, so I think MM could hit a spot that SoM couldn't. Looking forward to sharing my impressions and screens!

lol @ this kill

MM18f820.gif

Love fighting the feral enemies because of that counter

MM266ee3.gif

Beating up on the shield enemies is so satisfying

MM344285.gif

Best explosions? Best explosions.

MM4e3fbf.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I really like combat in Mad Max. I like how you need to block enemy and then kick it. In Batman games you just press counter and enemy is down. Main issue with MM combat is camera and variety. A few more moves beside basic attack, heavy attack and shotgun finisher would be welcomed.
There are lots more. Invest in the skills, they offer a bunch of additional moves. Various shiv attacks, more advanced counters, wall finishes, disarm, etc.

Also, a fun move is to pick up a thunderstick and straight up impale an enemy with it. You shove it through his chest and then kick him back, optimally into other enemies at which point he explodes and there's collateral damage.

Best explosions? Best explosions.

MM4e3fbf.gif
The explosions are amazing, especially how they react so spectacularly with the environment. You can create wild chain reactions, and debris can do damage, including to yourself. Similarly, I love the physics of pulling down the scarecrows. It's so well modeled based on your speed, force, etc.

I'm gonna tackle the wasteland missions today I think. Can I ask is there a way to collect scrap that isn't tediously looking for scrap markers on the map. Is there a mission that makes it faster?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm gonna tackle the wasteland missions today I think. Can I ask is there a way to collect scrap that isn't tediously looking for scrap markers on the map. Is there a mission that makes it faster?
Building scrap crew projects in the strongholds will generate scrap while you're not playing (Internet connection required). Each camp you liberate will contribute 20 apiece at regular intervals, so that builds up too.

Yeah I think so. Is there a story mission icon at Gastown? That's the start of the underdune mission, I think its called 'Dance with Death'.

Yup. looks like I have that one. I'll be heading there next time I play.

One question for everyone. Has anyone else had the storm approaching warning pop up but no storm? I've had it pop up twice now but in both cases there's been no storm...

Bug or did it just pass me by?

Man, I went from not looking forward to this game at all to "holy crap I need to upgrade my pc so this game can be as beautiful possible" I was wondering which game would finally force me to upgrade, turns out it was Mad Max.

c0Zm1c

One question for everyone. Has anyone else had the storm approaching warning pop up but no storm? I've had it pop up twice now but in both cases there's been no storm...

Probably just passed you by. Or ended before it reached you; they seem to be random in not only when they appear but also how long they last. I've had some last a few minutes and others end after just a few seconds. Though I guess that doesn't rule out that it could be a bug. :\

Veggy

I'm playing on PC and the car controls are extremely sensitive for me, is there a way to tone it down or is it intentional because of car modding?

Outside of that I'm really enjoying the game

Wow the storms are sweet. It's such a small thing but I found it cool by how individual pieces of debris would do damage if they hit me.

I like the base designs I much prefer a linear 'dungeon' like approach to them rather than the openness of something like Far Cry.

However I've not found a decent alternative way into a base. It's like they give you a clue to a secret entrance and then you end up in the same arena but on the other side.

Motorbikes are also a glaring emission. So is a 'pet dog' interaction, I wanna give him some love :(

It's a lot of fun at the moment, I'm a fiend for upgrades especially if they're physical so that'll keep me going for a long time

Beefy

Yup. looks like I have that one. I'll be heading there next time I play.

I think my storms could be glitched as well. Even tho it says Max can't survive in them I haven't lost any health/car health yet. I have picked up 12 mothacrates in 4 storms.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Having to drop "scrapulances" off at strongholds is a bit of a pain. It'd be nice if allied camps were also an option.

Edit: Are Griffa tokens finite or is it possible to max out Max?

Completely obsessed with the Photo Mode right now.I never touched the Photo Mode in any other games before, but now I realize the potential, really makes me appreciate the effort Avalanche put into crafting the environment.

Never had a game made me yearn for a Red Dead Redemption Remastered so badly. Imagine RDR with Photo Mode!!! Please, Rockstar! Please!

JaseC

Does the Scrap Crew project work if you suspend the game, or only if you turn it off?

Someone mentioned earlier not to use suspend with the game since it's technically still running.

Edit:
On this note if you use suspend on either PS4 or XBO make sure to quit the game after you are done playing. If you suspend it you obviously don't get the scrap metal that your crew is collecting while you are not playing the game. Missed out on big scrap because of this.

_Clash_

Mad Max have any of that Renegade Ops DNA?

I like Fury Road but I want some vehicle combat.

Love that twin stick shooter

Probably just passed you by. Or ended before it reached you; they seem to be random in not only when they appear but also how long they last. I've had some last a few minutes and others end after just a few seconds. Though I guess that doesn't rule out that it could be a bug. :\

I hope so. I've only experienced one so far and that was during a story mission, so I'm guessing it was scripted.

Would be nice to experience a dynamic storm with all the debris flying around, etc.

I think my storms could be glitched as well. Even tho it says Max can't survive in them I haven't lost any health/car health yet. I have picked up 12 mothacrates in 4 storms.

Huh. Well, I hope the new patch does something to address this. The crazy storms were the main reason I bought this and yet I've only experienced one with two not triggering or just passing me by.

Annoying to say the least. If the storm isn't anywhere near me, why tell me to seek shelter?

DedValve

Banned
IM SO TORN BETWEEN THIS AND MGSV.

I got best buys gamers club and $11 in credit so I should be able to get one for $40 which fits snuggly in my gaming budget.

Ground Zeroes was fun and was probably the only MGS game I could get into and V looks incredible but this also looks incredible.

I wanna go to bestbuy today and buy something :(

M.W.

Hmm, over 20 hours in, still only 1 storm has rolled through and it was during a fight in one of the oil pump locations.

I got best buys gamers club and $11 in credit so I should be able to get one for $40 which fits snuggly in my gaming budget.

Ground Zeroes was fun and was probably the only MGS game I could get into and V looks incredible but this also looks incredible.

I don't see you posting this over at the MGSV OT, so I assume you are already leaning toward buying Mad Max, or need more convincing. Either way, I think you probably already made your mind up, so just go and buy Mad Max lol.

I had to decide between MM and MGSV too, and picked MM in the end because I feel this is a game that you can just dig in real quick and have fun. I don't usually have a lot of time to play after work, MGSV probably requires more time and attention to get immersed into the game world, and going by my experience with the previous games in the series, it will probably take a bit of time to sit through all the cut scenes and dialog as well. I would choose MM if you are in a similar situation.

heringer

Honestly, MGSV is a safer bet. As much as I'm enjoying Mad Max, there's no denying MGSV is the better game. But even putting that aside, Mad Max is much more likely to hit bargain bin prices very soon.

Mad Max do need more sales than MGSV, though. So if you are really leaning towards Mad Max, you can use that as an excuse too. :p

DedValve

Banned
I don't see you posting this over at the MGSV OT, so I assume you are already leaning toward buying Mad Max, or need more convincing. Either way, I think you probably already made your mind up, so just go and buy Mad Max lol.

I had to decide between MM and MGSV too, and picked MM in the end because I feel this is a game that you can just dig in real quick and have fun. I don't usually have a lot of time to play after work, MGSV probably requires more time and attention to get immersed into the game world, and going by my experience with the previous games in the series, it will probably take a bit of time to sit through all the cut scenes and dialog as well. I would choose MM if you are in a similar situation.

I don't have my mind made up at all. I just didn't see the OT on the front page and lazy sunday in me is too damn lazy to go to the next page :p plus there is a whole thread dedicated to non spoiler MGS impressions so I'm sifting through that.

Playing ground zeroes atm and STILL can't decide. Wish Mad Max had a demo.

I might just play a wildcard and go until dawn but in the meantime I'll continue to glare at the PS4 homescreen.

I was going to just play for a little bit, two hours later I was still going around taking down shit and said it again to myself "alright time to stop" and then another hour went by.

At least I have Jeet's place just about finished.

I think the repetitiveness being an issue is a valid complaint. I wish there was some environmental interaction beyond guys getting knocked against a wall/car/whatever. Like Max could impale guys on the Magnum Opus's spikes when you have them on it and other things.

eshwaaz

Did a full shutdown and restart of my PS4, and the next time I played Max I finally got a storm (may be coincidence).

Holy hell. One of the most amazing spectacles I've ever seen in a game. Visually and aurally terrifying. Amazing stuff.

Died when I got greedy for the muthacrates. How long do storms last? This one felt quite long, but it may have just been because it was so intense.

JaseC

Died when I got greedy for the muthacrates. How long do storms last? This one felt quite long, but it may have just been because it was so intense.

I've only encountered one so far, but it lasted longer than five minutes. I can't say how long exactly as I got sick of waiting for it to pass (I was halfway through an enemy camp) and left to do something else, haha. It was over by the time I returned the game, though, about 15 minutes later.

Roshin

What am I supposed to do with Top Dog? I've been fighting him forever and he's at no health, but still wont die. I've shot him, stabbed him, punched him to the back of beyond. Obviously, I'm missing something, but what?

charsace

Same. Chum has warned me of incoming storms no less than 5 times after that, but nothing happens. Very disappointing.

I've played 12 hours and have had like 10 storms so far. 2 really bad with lightning. Went collecting in one lightning storm and got hit. The other lightning storm I fought a Top Dog. The atmosphere in this fight was amazing. Lightning hitting all around, the fire in the arena. Just amazing.

What am I supposed to do with Top Dog? I've been fighting him forever and he's at no health, but still wont die. I've shot him, stabbed him, punched him to the back of beyond. Obviously, I'm missing something, but what?

You have to execute them. Max just straight brutalizes the top dog.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

when u make him dizzy it will give up a button prompt to finish him, its A on PC. Dunno if you just got bugged out or what

Lima

So yeah I'm missing one side mission and not able to complete it anymore. Story spoiler ahead regarding Hope.
she dies and since she is a quest giver you can't do her quests anymore if you get too far in the story.

As a result since I'm missing the a shot in the dark mission I can't even upgrade my opus fully. Horrible decision and it really puts me off this game now. Guess I will finish the last story mission and don't even bother with the rest. Ugh.

ryan299

I was trying to get the achievement for giving water to wanderers. I can never find them, but I finally did and was so happy. I go to give them some, but it says my canteen needs to be full. So I'm angry and go on for a couple of hours.

I find another group, hop out and start the process, then out of no where an enemy runs me and the wanderer over, killing the wanderer. I couldn't believe it. I wish i recorded it lol

This game is so much fun.

MUnited83

For you.
Anybody has some weird issues where you can't back off the upgrade menu or exit it? Many times I'm stuck on the upgrade screen for one of the components of the car and I can't exit it completely or back out to see all the upgrades available for the car. I have to switch to one of the other tabs to be able to exit or go to the general upgrade tab again.

So yeah I'm missing one side mission and not able to complete it anymore. Story spoiler ahead regarding Hope.
she dies and since she is a quest giver you can't do her quests anymore if you get too far in the story.

she comes back to life after the credits roll

I got both and I keep finding myself booting up Mad Max while MGSV sits in my drawer. If it helps I have BB GCU as well and MM was only $40, not the usual $48. I'm not sure why I got an extra $8 off but you can't beat $40 for a new release, especially not one as good as this.

Top Bottom