• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Endless. Since you have repeating challenges you can get to any level you want. I'm Road Warrior level 98 now.

Any idea on which ones are the non-repeating challenges? Need to complete all of them for a trophy (I am going for the platinum). Slightly worried that there are some missable ones.

Lima

Any idea on which ones are the non-repeating challenges? Need to complete all of them for a trophy (I am going for the platinum). Slightly worried that there are some missable ones.

The ones that say completed x times under the description on the left when selecting a challenge are the ones that you don't have to complete.

Non of them are really missable. For the car ones I guess it is best to do what I did and leave a couple of the convoys up as the cars will always respawn until you destroy the big truck with the ornament.

Other than that try to focus on the ground combat ones while playing the story and clearing the camps.

Well I've been playing this for about an hour and already tiring of it. Don't really like how it controls and Max moves so poorly compared to Big Boss that switching off from that game has actively done this one a disservice. However the customization is interesting, might keep playing for that. And the Fury Road soundtrack should really be in this game, the stuff I've heard sounds like a cheap knock off.

A friend of mine and myself have been having an issue when booting Mad Max. The game makes a screeching sound when booting up to the first screen on launch. We both have two different sound cards from two very different companies. Another friend has the game, doesn't have a sound card, but also IS NOT experiencing the issue that we are. Anyone else getting this with their sound card?

gibbsy24

A friend of mine and myself have been having an issue when booting Mad Max. The game makes a screeching sound when booting up to the first screen on launch. We both have two different sound cards from two very different companies. Another friend has the game, doesn't have a sound card, but also IS NOT experiencing the issue that we are. Anyone else getting this with their sound card?

I have that happen. Haven't looked for a fix since it doesn't seem to affect anything else. I have my audio going out to a usb dac if that helps narrow it down.

Maybe it only affects people not using on board audio devices?

Gruso

Now that you mention it, I'm sure I've been hearing a little screech/bleep when launching. Nothing major. I'm at work now, so can't test to confirm.

I'm using G930s, so basically a USB sound card.

nded

I get a very brief squeal when I start the game sometimes. Using HDMI sound off of my video card, which I guess counts as a sound card.

The ones that say completed x times under the description on the left when selecting a challenge are the ones that you don't have to complete.

Non of them are really missable. For the car ones I guess it is best to do what I did and leave a couple of the convoys up as the cars will always respawn until you destroy the big truck with the ornament.

Other than that try to focus on the ground combat ones while playing the story and clearing the camps.
Cool, thanks for the tips. I've been trying for the 20x combo challenge for a while now, getting an 100x combo is a cake walk in Batman, but I just cannot get a 20x combo going in Mad Max. Filling up the Fury meter in 20 seconds and getting 8 Fury Kills also seem impossible at this point. I don't think I have even faced off against 8 enemies at the same time (just reached Pink Eye's stronghold).

By the way, have you guys tried not killing the War Crier at a camp? He has some pretty hilarious lines after you defeated all the War Boys.

By the way, have you guys tried not killing the War Crier at a camp? He has some pretty hilarious lines after you defeated all the War Boys.

Haha, I was only sitting there listening to him go through those lines last night.

Some of them are great. "Uhhhh... There's a rule, you don't kill the War Crier. Not sure if you're aware?"

nded

I've been trying for the 20x combo challenge for a while now, getting an 100x combo is a cake walk in Batman, but I just cannot get a 20x combo going in Mad Max.

I've had okay luck getting the combo meter up by switching between targets frequently instead of focusing on one guy while another dude sneaks up behind me and bops me in the head mid-swing. Also try rolling out of the way if you're not sure you can parry something, The only things that seem to break combos are getting hit and missing a parry.

Mik2121

Searching around a bit more, found this related to buying Mad Max from another region as it's still not available here in Japan...

https://steamdb.info/sub/75195/

-----------

AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries No
PurchaseRestrictedCountries JP Japan
AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting No

-----------

:/ Fucking hell... Every other country has it except Japan. This shit is ridiculous.

MattyG

Banned
So I'm starting this tomorrow now that I'm done MGSV. Two questions; how big is the map, and how is the score? Any tracks that sound like Brothers in Arms or anything else from Fury Road?

Dominator

So I'm starting this tomorrow now that I'm done MGSV. Two questions; how big is the map, and how is the score? Any tracks that sound like Brothers in Arms or anything else from Fury Road?
The score is good, but nothing on that level. Nothing I've heard at least. Its noticeable when it needs to be.

And the map... its huge.

Lol no, nothing sounds remotely close to brothers in arm because it's too good but the game itself is very fun. You do get a bit overwhelmed with all the marks to go to.

hiro_x

Finally pulled the trigger on this one. First full priced game I bought this year. Played about 4 hours already and feels like I made the right choice. The world is awesome, I like the car combat and the various upgrades for Max and the car.

Button layout feels weird though, and that jump! wtf is that? lol

MattyG

Banned
The score is good, but nothing on that level. Nothing I've heard at least. Its noticeable when it needs to be.

And the map... its huge.

Lol no, nothing sounds remotely close to brothers in arm because it's too good but the game itself is very fun. You do get a bit overwhelmed with all the marks to go to.
Well that's good that it's good, but disappointing that it's not at least close to Fury Road. That was to be expected though, because Fury Road's score is A-MAZ-IIIIING.

Hopefully the map markers don't get to Ubisoft levels of overwhelming, but I'm glad it's big. Nothing worse that a world that's too small, especially when you're driving most of the time.

Would you guys/gals consider this game as having a compelling story?

I'm shopping for a game that my wife would enjoy watching. She isn't picky, but she loves a competent story with good voice acting.

(She thought the movie had a good enough story)

Hastati

Searching around a bit more, found this related to buying Mad Max from another region as it's still not available here in Japan...

https://steamdb.info/sub/75195/

-----------

AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries No
PurchaseRestrictedCountries JP Japan
AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting No

-----------

:/ Fucking hell... Every other country has it except Japan. This shit is ridiculous.
Gotta get someone to gift it to you unfortunately. I had to do that with Valkyria Chronicles, which never released on JP Steam I believe.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Would you guys/gals consider this game as having a compelling story?

I'm shopping for a game that my wife would enjoy watching. She isn't picky, but she loves a competent story with good voice acting.

(She thought the movie had a good enough story)
If she liked Fury,she should like this. If anything the game max speaks more then all the film versions combined.
Just remember it is an open world game so you progress the story at your pace. I have had the game since release and havent progressed it much,having too much fun exploring the Wastland.

If she liked Fury,she should like this. If anything the game max speaks more then all the film versions combined.
Just remember it is an open world game so you progress the story at your pace. I have had the game since release and havent progressed it much,having to much fun exploring the Wastland.

Thanks for the response. Sounds perfect then!

We both share a curious love for survival apocalyptic games.

I'm really loving the game, the combat is very satisfying. Looks great, runs great, the only thing I want in a sequel is motorcycles.

It's definitely what I'd call a 'fun' game. Very, very satisfying. For me at least.

Or maybe I just really wanted to hit something (in a game), which this definitely scratches that itch. The combat has weight and heft to it, the explosions have impact. It's so damn awesome.

I'm really loving the game, the combat is very satisfying. Looks great, runs great, the only thing I want in a sequel is motorcycles.

It's definitely what I'd call a 'fun' game. Very, very satisfying. For me at least.

Or maybe I just really wanted to hit something (in a game), which this definitely scratches that itch. The combat has weight and heft to it, the explosions have impact. It's so damn awesome.

How's the gun combat? I really hope there is good weapon variety.

Yeah don't think I'm feeling this. Made it to Jeet's stronghold and the entire game just feels like busywork. Combat is like a worse and less fun version of the Arkham Games. Driving is ok. Can't stand the controls or how Max moves. Open world is just vast expanses of nothingness (which sucks, but makes sense) and stuff scattered at random on the map. Not for me.

How's the gun combat? I really hope there is good weapon variety.

Don't go into it expecting that, wait for Just Cause 3 if you want the full weapon loadout in this style. It's mostly hand-to-hand or car combat. Though obviously you'll want to upgrade the ammo belt +ammo scavenger Max skill asap so you can use the shotgun more often than not.

Currently, I just have a shotgun and the sniper rifle (in the car). And there's the harpoon (in the car). So gun combat is limited, it's more like a side ability rather than the main combat, since ammo is scarce in the Wasteland.

The hand-to-hand combat is very, very satisfying IMO. Shiv finishers, suplexing dudes, beating them against a wall...it's great (in a completely normal I'm playing games kind of way).

Edit: ^ I flipped the control scheme on PC with my 360 controller, I did not like the default setup.

Don't go into it expecting that, wait for Just Cause 3 if you want the full weapon loadout in this style. It's mostly hand-to-hand or car combat. Though obviously you'll want to upgrade the ammo belt +ammo scavenger Max skill asap so you can use the shotgun more often than not.

Currently, I just have a shotgun and the sniper rifle (in the car). And there's the harpoon (in the car). So gun combat is limited, it's more like a side ability rather than the main combat, since ammo is scarce in the Wasteland.

The hand-to-hand combat is very, very satisfying IMO. Shiv finishers, suplexing dudes, beating them against a wall...it's great (in a completely normal I'm playing games kind of way).

Edit: ^ I flipped the control scheme on PC with my 360 controller, I did not like the default setup.

Thanks so much! Very helpful!

Karish

Rented from Redbox. Game has made a good first impression so far. Will stick with it. The driving controls feel almost delayed (steering) - is this because my car sucks?

jediyoshi

Yeah don't think I'm feeling this. Made it to Jeet's stronghold and the entire game just feels like busywork. Combat is like a worse and less fun version of the Arkham Games. Driving is ok. Can't stand the controls or how Max moves. Open world is just vast expanses of nothingness (which sucks, but makes sense) and stuff scattered at random on the map. Not for me.

Ironically I'm playing this back to back with MGSV and it's making this map feel loaded to the brim in every nook and cranny and every insignificant looking prop lying about usually has more to it than at first glance, whether it continues to open up underground or has more on a cliffside. I'm constantly finding new caches on my way to and from Jeet's stronghold that I swore I would've seen before.

Over the past few Arkham games I've actually wished they'd tone down the amount of things you're forced to do, compared to things they've implemented for variety's sake. Realistically in Arkham games, unless I'm forced to do things in particular, I always just stick with quick/heavy/counter which this game handles pretty well. The charge up melee attacks in particular feel well done.

Rented from Redbox. Game has made a good first impression so far. Will stick with it. The driving controls feel almost delayed (steering) - is this because my car sucks?
Yes, this was the first thing I noticed at the start of the game and seems to be a common complaint in this OT. The car handling is much better once you have upgraded your car, it won't even take long, you will notice the difference after a few story missions.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I've been trying for the 20x combo challenge for a while now, getting an 100x combo is a cake walk in Batman, but I just cannot get a 20x combo going in Mad Max. Filling up the Fury meter in 20 seconds and getting 8 Fury Kills also seem impossible at this point. I don't think I have even faced off against 8 enemies at the same time (just reached Pink Eye's stronghold).

Just wait until you're trying to fill that fury meter in 10 seconds! After trying for ages I ended up getting them completely unexpectedly. If you've just reached Pink Eye then you've got plenty of oportunities to get them.

Mik2121

"AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting No"

No, that won't work.

Exactly. Being completely locked out of the game because they decide to delay the game (don't care about the reason) for a whole month when I could easily be playing the game as it is being sold in the west (ie, don't care about Japanese support), in 2015... is sad.

Impulsor

I read someone in this thread asking for performance on consoles, saying it was getting worse the further he got in.

Same for me, the chugging is real, the framerate is all over the place, PS4 version here.

And it seems to be getting worse the further I advance. IT's really annoying sometimes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That won't be a problem for long. You'll probably get the hang of the combos more as you go and as you beef up Max with more moves. There's will also be a challenge for getting the Fury meter in 10 seconds.

The toughest challenge to me looks like the 8 Fury Kills in one. I had some pretty great runs but never popped that, and now I've beaten the game with zero threat in all areas. It's a rare scenario where you have enough enemies around to a) use a couple enemies to fill your meter, b) 8 more to kill, c) arrange it so that they're the easier enemies that are quicker to kill and also in tight formation to do it in time. Seems like you've gotta be pretty flawless in the scenarios where that happens. I'm not sure if it's even going to be conceivable for me to pull that off going forward.

They should let you redo camps for fun and for the sake of these challenges.

The toughest challenge to me looks like the 8 Fury Kills in one. I had some pretty great runs but never popped that, and now I've beaten the game with zero threat in all areas. It's a rare scenario where you have enough enemies around to a) use a couple enemies to fill your meter, b) 8 more to kill, c) arrange it so that they're the easier enemies that are quicker to kill and also in tight formation to do it in time. Seems like you've gotta be pretty flawless in the scenarios where that happens. I'm not sure if it's even going to be conceivable for me to pull that off going forward.

It isn't too bad so long as you can avoid getting hit. When it's maxed out you get a really long time in fury mode but being hit massively drains your fury meter.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It isn't too bad so long as you can avoid getting hit. When it's maxed out you get a really long time in fury mode but being hit massively drains your fury meter.
I was maxed out for a lot of it and had no problem doing 20+ combos but still never could get it. I'm not really into trophies per se, but the challenges generally looked fun to pursue but they turn into a real grind in the post-game, so I'm going to have move on and ignore that trophy.

A handful of challenges just seem like you really needed to be aware of them at the time you ran into certain mission or camp scenarios and to target them and even restart til you grab it.

To lower threat to 0 do I have to destroy all scarecrows and capture all camps in a zone?
Scarecrows, snipers, convoys, camps, minefields.

...now I've beaten the game with zero threat in all areas. It's a rare scenario where you have enough enemies around to a) use a couple enemies to fill your meter, b) 8 more to kill, c) arrange it so that they're the easier enemies that are quicker to kill and also in tight formation to do it in time. Seems like you've gotta be pretty flawless in the scenarios where that happens. I'm not sure if it's even going to be conceivable for me to pull that off going forward.

They should let you redo camps for fun and for the sake of these challenges.
This is the reason why I haven't reduced the threat level to zero in any areas yet, and I am not going to until I have completed all the challenges.

There needs to be a "Reset Threat Level" option like "Reset Outpost" in Far Cry, so the areas you have liberated before will return to its original hostile state. I believe "Reset Outpost" was patched in in Far Cry 3, and then became a standard feature in FC4. And since there is no NG+, it would be great if you can redo camps with a fully upgraded Max.

newsguy

So I go to BB yesterday to trade in Batman. I figure with my GC membership I'll get about $30 for it. The guy at the counter was in a deep conversation with a co worker. I guess I was bothering him, so he literally gave me a gift card worth $54 without doing a thing. I was like "you don't want my fingerprint or something?" To which he replied, "Don't worry about it." So I got Mad Max and still had money left over. Played about 6 hours so far and I'm loving it.

OK, started this gaem yesterday and I'm having a blast. The hand to hand combat feels great, really raw and punishing. Fury mode feels like you're breaking bones with each hit, so good. Made me feel like the hits in combat in Arkham games have no impact.

And the map, that thing is unbelievably huge. The size of the first big area alone is intimidating. On foot traversal seems like an impossible task, giving a great feeling of being an endless wasteland. I actually feel sorry for those lost souls wandering it while dying of thirst.

I'm having one issue not directly related to the game that I'd like to know if anyone else is having. I pre-ordered the game on PSN and it pre-loaded and I can play it without issue, but when I go into Overview in the PS4's menu it still shows the purchase button with the price. When I go to the PSN store, it also does not recognize I have the game and has the purchase button with price, intead of the play now button. The Ripper DLC does not seem to be unlocked. I have tried restoring licenses and it hasn't fixed it. Anyone else having this issue?

Recharg3

I'm having one issue not directly related to the game that I'd like to know if anyone else is having. I pre-ordered the game on PSN and it pre-loaded and I can play it without issue, but when I go into Overview in the PS4's menu it still shows the purchase button with the price. When I go to the PSN store, it also does not recognize I have the game and has the purchase button with price, intead of the play now button. The Ripper DLC does not seem to be unlocked. I have tried restoring licenses and it hasn't fixed it. Anyone else having this issue?

I noticed that it didn't unlock until a few missions in but it does unlock eventually....

Top Bottom