• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: Are Griffa tokens finite or is it possible to max out Max?

The answer to this appears to be "Yes, and then some." No doubt the oversight will be patched sooner rather than later, but in the meantime best be mindful about how many upgrades you have remaining.

Anybody has some weird issues where you can't back off the upgrade menu or exit it? Many times I'm stuck on the upgrade screen for one of the components of the car and I can't exit it completely or back out to see all the upgrades available for the car. I have to switch to one of the other tabs to be able to exit or go to the general upgrade tab again.

Yeah, I managed to get stuck in the pause menu earlier. I didn't think to try switching tabs and instead restarted the game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Praise be. Just completed the story and she is indeed back. Interceptor and black leather jacket look fucking cool too.

All is well Avalanche. Let the road to 100% commence.

I have one question regarding the story missions. How many of them are there in total? Thanks and no spoilers please. :)

Ramenman

17 hours in, I've been hooked for a while, there's no chance I'm gonna stop anytime soon.

However, even though I was super inclined to like it, I must say it didn't win me over at first.

I think the split between reviews (say IGN's 8.5 vs Polygon's 5 for example) is due to that : it's a very cool game, that just somewhat fails at presenting itself in a good light.

If/when you start playing it in a way that makes its strengths shine, you'll most likely be hooked. Sadly, this isn't how the game sets you up to play it 'officially'.

Basically, in my opinion, here's how the game can be amazing (and how I've been playing for the past 15 hours and want more) :
- Just explore and engage with whatever you see. See something (a landmark, smoke, or really anything cool looking in the distance), go there, and engage with whatever you find, you'll earn scrap and complete legend stuff that gives you points to upgrade your car and Max, so buy a bunch of stuff, then see something else, go there... rinse and repeat.
This probably sounds very boring and repetitive, but that's missing how really freaking cool the world building/level design is. I don't think it can be explained with words, but you'll be amazed, and you'll be surprised. Sometimes on your way to something very visible on the horizon, you'll just stumble upon something that was hidden on the way (sometimes a whole goddamn camp hidden inside a mountain, that you just took a secret entrance to without even knowing it was there). Even small scrap locations can turn out to be just a little more than they look like at first. Maybe there'll be a new enemy type. Or maybe a cool "history relic" with an appropriate comment from Max reminding you of what this world is. Or maybe a project part. Or maybe even a whole new car body. Or maybe just scrap. Or maybe it will just be a super cool-looking place even though it doesn't have anything surprising gameplay wise (it will still fillup your challenges and give you scrap towards upgrades anyway, so it's never lost or meaningless).

That's how I love the game : go wherever I want, engage with what I find (camps/convoys/scrap locations), upgrade, over and over again. Just do a story mission from time to time when I need a upgrade that's locked behind it, but that's about it.
The constant progression of fun combats (car and ground), and discovering a diverse world of charismatic locations has won me over.

This is very much what the game can be (and is now for me), but sadly this really isn't how it presents itself, a few points that make the game look bad :
- It teaches you to go into Ubisoft Balloons (TM) to ruin any sense of exploration and turn its world that is so lovingly crafted into an cold icon chase. Only this specific decision, to me, is probably the reason for at least 50% of the criticism the game gets. (I can understand how raiding all those cool and varied locations could feel like a "samey grind" if you get there straight by following your GPS and are reminded 100% of the time of all those other exactly same icons you haven't visited yet).
- The game also smothers the main stuff, the best stuff, (ie convoys, camps, scrap locations : the reason you're here in the first place, the stuff worthy of exploring and doing) with a billion other icons and thingies that are entirely optional, mostly unimportant, but are presented to you with the same level of importance as anything else.
On your map, big meaty gameplay pieces with best rewards like camps, are showed the same size as funny "destroyables" like snipers or scarecrows, and both are also the same size as NPC encounters, which aren't even gameplay (just press A to exchange a few words with a generic NPC to get scrap/intel/extremely sidey side activity like jumping from ramps). Taking into account that you'll have all those different things on the map at the same time even the very first time you go out into the open-world, and it's not hard to see how some people might have experienced the game as "full of mindless tasks", even though it's as far removed and can be from what I've experienced these past 15 hours.
In the same way, before you even get to fight a convoy or raid a proper camp (aside from the tutorial one), the game shoves in your face the "stronghold projects" checklist, which is something like 10 straight up fetch quests, suggesting you mark one on your map, further maintaining the impression that the proper way to play the game is to go straight for icons, pick up a collectible, maybe beat up 1 or 2 low level guys, and go back to the stronghold to enjoy the smallest of passive bonuses/added comfort.
Let me be clear : I don't think any of those side things are inherently bad ideas or shouldn't be here, I just think they're presented in the worst way possible, AND can even take you away (until you know better) from the more important stuff, the stuff that matters, the actual meat of the game, what you should be hooked on (= convoys/camps/etc).
Sorry for the shitty food metaphor, but I'd say if a restaurant served you so much appetizers that you'd forget to order the proper meal until your stomach is full, you'd likely feel as a result that "the food in this place was bland and boring, let's not go back".
Another point that can probably seal the deal of a less-than-stellar first impression, is that at first, maybe your starting car and character simply aren't cool enough to show the potential of both combat systems. A lvl 0 max against lvl 0 enemies can probably feel like the combat system is so shallow it won't go anywhere. Even though it really mixes things up later on as you upgrade and meet several different enemy types and environments. Same for car combat. With your lvl 0 car not going very fast, and only your harpoon fighting only cars with drivers that can be one-shot with it, it really doesn't sell the amazeness that convoy fight becomes later on. And remember : if you're stuck doing only the wrong 'icons' on your map, you might not even progress fast enough to see how it evolves.

TLDR :
Game is great, world is awesome, bad reviews are likely due to a bunch of small things & clumsy exposition that can really come together and make it boring if you're not careful.
Very subjective tips to enjoy it : avoid the damn balloons (or just fuel them to get fast travel if you want), and at first don't bother with stronghold projects, NPC encounters, or whatever else, just go your way with your magnum opus and your Chumbucket, towards whatever cool thing you see on the horizon, raid whatever you come across, upgrade things as you go, and bask in the glory of the world. For hours.
Peace.

How similar is this game to Shadow of Morder? In that game, I had more fun infiltrating the strongholds and killing orcs than I did with story missions.

Lima

How similar is this game to Shadow of Morder? In that game, I had more fun infiltrating the strongholds and killing orcs than I did with story missions.

Same deal. The story is really not much more than big badass stole my car and I want to get my V8 back.

- Just explore and engage with whatever you see. See something (a landmark, smoke, or really anything cool looking in the distance), go there, and engage with whatever you find, you'll earn scrap and complete legend stuff that gives you points to upgrade your car and Max, so buy a bunch of stuff, then see something else, go there... rinse and repeat.
This probably sounds very boring and repetitive, but that's missing how really freaking cool the world building/level design is. I don't think it can be explained with words, but you'll be amazed, and you'll be surprised. Sometimes on your way to something very visible on the horizon, you'll just stumble upon something that was hidden on the way (sometimes a whole goddamn camp hidden inside a mountain, that you just took a secret entrance to without even knowing it was there). Even small scrap locations can turn out to be just a little more than they look like at first. Maybe there'll be a new enemy type. Or maybe a cool "history relic" with an appropriate comment from Max reminding you of what this world is. Or maybe a project part. Or maybe even a whole new car body. Or maybe just scrap. Or maybe it will just be a super cool-looking place even though it doesn't have anything surprising gameplay wise (it will still fillup your challenges and give you scrap towards upgrades anyway, so it's never lost or meaningless).

After ~33 hours without even touching the northern half of the map so far, this is what continues to drive me. I have to guess I've been to 50 or more locations by now, and from the small tight crevices to the big camp networks buried in a cliffside, most have felt unique despite the repetitive nature of looking for scrap and collectibles. I stumbled into a secret entrance high in the mountains to a big Stank Gum camp yesterday while simply looking for some water at a scavenging site, and spent like 30 minutes clearing that place up losing track of what I was doing in the first place.

There's a very cohesive quality to the way car combat, melee combat, overground exploration, and underground exploration are balanced in the game alongside the worldbuilding, scavenging, and upgrade path. Even when I've made it checklisty for myself by going after icons rather than exploring naturally, I still enjoy the vibe. I suspect that's the difference between this and Just Cause 2 for me. There's a lot of character and care put into these places, as well as Max. Chumbucket, Griffa, the evolution of the strongholds, the enemies, etc. No doubt there's a bit of bias because yo I'm playing as Mad Max in an open world Mad Max game doing Mad Max ass things driving a Mad Max ass car, but I'm cool with that and accept the fanboy hype running through me right now.

And did anyone else laugh at the Easter egg historic collectible in (early Wasteland mission location)
the subway?
Max's reaction got me.

Roshin

2015-09-06_00014h4sw2.jpg

Max in action.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The main story should take you roughly 15-20 hours if that's all you're doing.

Are you kidding me??? Have you seen all my previous posts??? LOL. I'm doing everything in the game. I even doing those "epic jumps". Haha. Was hoping the story was longer because im currently at Gutgash's territory but opened up the Pink Eye territory the other day and im supposed to go there but im avoiding doing so because it felt like I was going through the story quickly (seven missions completed) and in open world games, I like to complete everything 100% and then finish the story because once I finish the story, I won't go back to do all the side stuff but thankfully, that's not how I play open world games so im good. :)

That's why you should stop doing them and start messing around clearing every outpost etc ficking around discovering things on the map. It's as much fun as the missions imo

I am. Just wanted to know how long the story was since my next story mission is to visit Pink Eye. I'm about 35% complete overall. Jeet's territory is 100% finished except for the Death Run races but they have nothing to do with clearing the threat level in each territory. Currently clearing out Gutgash's territory.

And the entire game is a lot of fun and literally a blast. A little while ago, I used the Harpoon to pull an enemy out of his car through the windshield and normally he would fly off the windshield of the Magnum Opus but due to spikes, he got impaled on my hood. That was so freaking cool.

Seriously, loving and enjoying this game and if it wasn't for The Witcher III, Mad Max would easily be my current game of the year because nothing else I have played throughout the year or will play for the rest of the year is matching it.

Lego Boss

Just beaten Top Dog in Jeet's territory. That camp better give me some serious scrap cos it's an expensive business turning Max and his opus into a double hard bastard.

Loving this game so far. Easily the best open worlder I've played in a long time.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Played for about an hour and a half. How do I access the ripper dlc?
IIRC, you have to find it. If you go to where you equip car bodies in the garage, it should tell you the region the ripper body is found.

Played for about an hour and a half. How do I access the ripper dlc?

you don't have to find it in the world...just have the DLC installed then you...

Q: I’ve got The Ripper downloaded. How do I use it?

A: In order to use The Ripper, you must unlock the Garage through story progression. This means that you’ll have to get to the second objective in the “Into Madness” mission, which instructs you to “Drive to Jeet’s Stronghold.” This happens after Stank Gum’s Legion has destroyed Chumbucket’s Tabernackle very early in the game.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
IIRC, you have to find it. If you go to where you equip car bodies in the garage, it should tell you the region the ripper body is found.

you don't have to find it in the world...just have the DLC installed then you...

Q: I’ve got The Ripper downloaded. How do I use it?

A: In order to use The Ripper, you must unlock the Garage through story progression. This means that you’ll have to get to the second objective in the “Into Madness” mission, which instructs you to “Drive to Jeet’s Stronghold.” This happens after Stank Gum’s Legion has destroyed Chumbucket’s Tabernackle very early in the game.
Ah, corrected. I guess it's just the DLC hood ornaments that you still have to find out in the world.

Just finished the game, about 34 hours in. Story was alright but the environment and my ever need to collect and upgrade are what really allowed me to enjoy this game. Solid 8.5 from me.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is so great, I'm glad I didn't write it off from the middling review scores. The atmosphere and sense of scale is just amazing, and it has that open world sprawl and 'checklist' thing that I love - but in this case it feels like actual progression, not meaningless trinkets like finding a mug in a chest in Assassin's Creed.

It feels like you're constantly upgrading or adding new skills or boosts to the vehicle and Max, and it's super addictive. Helps that the game looks absolutely stunning, too. Combat both in car and on foot is weighty and solid and quite hilarious at times.

Cowlick

Banned
Game is amazing so far.
That is a spectacular shot.

Decided to roll the dice on getting Mad Max, due to the positive impressions and screenshots in this thread, and I'm glad I did. Game is a lot of fun. Avalanche laid the groundwork in the Just Cause series with its open world and grappling gun gameplay and put it to great use here. The (literal) sandbox in Max Max is strikingly beautiful, and the atmosphere relayed in the sheer need to scavenge to survive -- fuel, food, water, scrap -- really helps to make it feel different within its genre.

I'm only, maybe, ten hours into it (a mix of story and aimless wandering), and it does seem that the structure of the map is designed in a rather linear fashion, in that the game starts you start at the bottom and tells you to work your way up to Gastown, at the top. It's curious to see an open world game structured in a way that you can complete your stronghold solely by staying within its confined segment on the map, pick that area clean, then move on to the next area. But then again, needless back and forth busy work has been the bane of other open worlds, so perhaps this is a response to that. Still, the amount of times I've stumbled upon a hidden camp or accidentally earned the ire of a passing convoy have shown this to be a game where discovery, exploration, and sheer dumb luck can reveal the layers hidden among the building blocks of its design.

Glad I gave this one a go. Thanks, GAF.

First few hours were slow, but now I'm rolling. Just want to drive around, see the different terrains, ascend balloons, and upgrade. Story is picking up, too. I'm digging the bases. Glad to be out of Chum's crummy hideout.

One question:
is the only way to access the top half of the map through the story? I'm up to the part where you scout the fortress you have to invade, and I can see a line of mountains separating the game world in half.

c0Zm1c

Probably just passed you by. Or ended before it reached you; they seem to be random in not only when they appear but also how long they last. I've had some last a few minutes and others end after just a few seconds. Though I guess that doesn't rule out that it could be a bug. :\

Going back to this, that just happened to me actually. I got the warning and watched the storm coming in the distance, then ..it disappeared before reaching me.

Haunted

Game makes a strong first impression after the slightly weird, rushed intro. I can see the shortcomings, but I can also see the potential.

Explosions and smoke are fucking fantastic, they've clearly worked a long time on making those look good.

About 4-5 hours in now, mainly getting distracted doing side quests and upgrading Jeet's stronghold with all the additions.

It's a wonderful game. Extremely pretty and there's just sooo much to do.

eshwaaz

The animation blending and ragdoll is so damn good when defeating enemies in hand-to-hand. Watching a foe go seamlessly from a hit reaction to a stumble to a ragdoll collapse is incredibly satisfying. Fantastic sense of impact and weight. Even in slow mo everything is really smooth.

Mik2121

I wanna buy this game on STEAM but I'm locked to the stupid Japanese version of Steam and can't purchase this until October 1st. Is there a way to buy it without using VPN, as I'm at work? (it's OK to install games at my work so don't worry about that lol)

Maffis

I wanna buy this game on STEAM but I'm locked to the stupid Japanese version of Steam and can't purchase this until October 1st. Is there a way to buy it without using VPN, as I'm at work? (it's OK to install games at my work so don't worry about that lol)
Afaik, steam only. Sorry.

Top Bottom