• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

w0s

Finally booted this up the other day and man oh man how on earth was the guy in one of the last showings that made the game so awful at combat. I was worried that you had to hit the counter perfectly because he sucked so bad but the truth is he was just awful at the game. Why they let him play it is beyond me. Made the games combat look so awful and lack that flow that I want when kicking the shit out of people.

30IR

Banned
The game has started to crash on me very often now - no idea what's causing it. Nothing has changed software/hardware-wise so I'm not sure why it keeps saying, "Mad Max has stopped working."

Anyone else experiencing issues?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
So is everyone that played this already over it?

Hell no. Over 85 hours into the game and im still playing. Currently in the Deep Friah territory and will soon be going to Gastown. Still have plenty of story and wasteland missions to do. Mad Max is easily a 9/10 for me personally and if not for The Witcher III, it would be my game of the year.

Yeah, but that's the film lore. In that your watching Max, in the game I am Max. It actually kinda ruined the story for me with the last 3 or so missions.

Well no, you're not Max. Max is Max. You just guide him from encounter to encounter. Nothing about this game ever says this is "your" Max aside from dressing him and the car up however you want.

This game would be so much better if it focused on more scripted, setpiece-driven convoy chases, instead of just being a Ubisoft-template collectathon.

Yeah, collecting scrap and tearing down scarecrows gets old real fast. I actually used trainer to give me 9999 scrap, and then saved the game that way. Saves me a lot of trouble, lol.

Yeah, but that's the film lore. In that your watching Max, in the game I am Max. It actually kinda ruined the story for me with the last 3 or so missions.

The thing I love about the game is that it nails everything about that world including the asshole nature of the protagonist. It would just be a medicore open world game to me if it didn’t stay so true to the films. My child self dreamed of this game.

Well no, you're not Max. Max is Max. You just guide him from encounter to encounter. Nothing about this game ever says this is "your" Max aside from dressing him and the car up however you want.

This hurts my brain.

Lowered Jeet and Gutgash's territories to 0 and am only now starting to feel the grind...but it's definitely settling in now. Just a few too many samey camps, not enough difference in the setpiece convoys yet. Mind you, the story has been pretty simple thus far, so maybe the mainline missions are about to get more interesting?

Either way, still loving the game, but after two territories it's lost a little of its luster for me.

Branson

I could not play games if I felt like this while controlling a character.

what is the best way to handle taking down convoys

Basically level up your car as much as possible. Always be on the lookout for gas tanks that you can one-shot kill with the shotgun. Unarmored vehicles can be killed in 1 shot of the thunderpoon.

Also level up the harpoon, some cars you can just yank a wheel off and take them out of the chase completely.

Wheel grinders become almost useless later on because all other cars have grinders too, so if you are damaging them, they're damaging you at the same time.

The side torches can destroy unarmored vehicles pretty fast as well but sucks up fuel fast.

Just some pictures I took while playing this evening, the atmosphere in this game really is amazng.

CO9y6onWIAAHJsv.jpg

CO-03vbWcAA_mn4.jpg

CO-4OSwWoAA755I.jpg

And two small videos (one is 26 seconds, the other 47 seconds)

Boom-trap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoqdpJBCDoQ

A little too close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyJ3AdHvaoo

I could not play games if I felt like this while controlling a character.

I just don't see the point of pretending that an established, well defined character in any way represents me. I'm not Max. I'm never asked to make choices that shape Max or the world in unique ways. Nothing I do in this game reflects on me as a person. And all that is fine. I don't need to relate to Max to enjoy the game, him as a character, or the game's world. Max is Max, the Wasteland is the Wasteland. I'm just participating in the nonsense and taking in the narrative/atmosphere.

The game has started to crash on me very often now - no idea what's causing it. Nothing has changed software/hardware-wise so I'm not sure why it keeps saying, "Mad Max has stopped working."

Anyone else experiencing issues?

I had this issue, crashing more and more frequently and then eventually I couldn't get past the initial splash-screen without a crash. What fixed it was deleting the settings.ini file in the main folder as it had become corrupted. Next time you start the game all settings will be reset but the game ran perfectly after that and it will rebuild a new file for you automatically.

JRW

I had this issue, crashing more and more frequently and then eventually I couldn't get past the initial splash-screen without a crash. What fixed it was deleting the settings.ini file in the main folder as it had become corrupted. Next time you start the game all settings will be reset but the game ran perfectly after that and it will rebuild a new file for you automatically.

How strange I had the same problem yesterday, 37 hours in not a single crash then all of a sudden couldnt for the life of me get past the splash screen without madmax.exe crashing, tried verifying cache..

But what fixed it was kind of odd.. I reboot my PC lol. Thats it. Been fine all day.

I do have suspicion that EVGA Precision is involved.. it seems to cause odd behavior lately and it's also being reported on evga forums. (media players crashing as well as certain games).

red731

How can I finish the game when my priorities lie in getting every stronghold part and pushing max upgraded strongholds in regions?!

I must really listen to Chum asking me if I'm allright in the head and progressing on our main quest. Sigh.

mujun

I love this game but... FUCK. THIS. GAME.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

First, I get a tank glitch in one base making it impossible to complete. Then, today, I get what seems to be a game breaking glitch.

Seems if you get into Pinkeye's base before getting there while going through the main missions (or it might be something to do with The Jaw) your fast travel breaks, you can't get into the base without reloading in and even reloading in forces you to rewatch a cutscene (despite having done the mission stuff after the cutscene) and you can't talk to Pinkeye which is the trigger you need to set off to be able to progress in the story.

Back to MGSV until it gets patched and I hope when it does I don't lose my progress.

Finally got around to playing this game more this morning, and I seem to be at about the half-way point. I've completed 8 story missions, and I've read there's 16. That said, I've only completed 2 acts out of 5, or so?

Anyways, my next story mission is in
Gastown
. I'm supposed to drive there to activate it, it seems? Problem is that when I get there, I'm ambushed by terribly powerful vehicles and my car just isn't up to it.

This is what I don't like about the game, outside of its everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach to development: You have to grind, and grind and grind for hours until you can do story missions after a certain point. Or so it seems. Avalanche took the most frustrating part of an otherwise great game in Just Cause 2 and used it as the basis for this, which is disappointing.

I guess I'll have to do as many side quests, loot as much scrap and do as many other things as I can to improve my vehicle and Max before undertaking that mission? It's not locked, but is tough to get to.

I'm also trying to find the Eastern Tunnels for a side quest, but they're not showing on the map.

Lego Boss

Oh man, that 'Immortal Enemy' story mission with the Stank Gum vehicle.

Handling on the Opus is some sort of cosmic joke as it floats around the track, carreering into walls and jagging into the scenery and then when you do get close those stoopid cars double-team you until you spin around.

Just about to throw my controller across the room and then I beat him within 30 seconds of the start. Bizarre stuff.

I love this game, but those floaty aracde physics are not made for racing.

No, they're not.

I tried a couple of races this morning, both of which were timed races from one point to another. The game said I could take out my opponents or outrun them, but the AI was super good and the vehicles I was given were mediocre and floaty. It was a pain in the ass.

Not to mention the fact that you're given so little time that destroying enemies cannot be your focus.

I also went into a balloon, got out, walked down a flight of stairs and started ragdolling. Doing flips in the air for about 3 turns.

So what's the best path for story missions? Just do a ton of side stuff? I'd rather not spend 40 hours playing if I don't need to, because I've got a lot of games I have to get to.

I'm 12 hours in so far. Perhaps 12.5.

JRW

Oh man, that 'Immortal Enemy' story mission with the Stank Gum vehicle.

Handling on the Opus is some sort of cosmic joke as it floats around the track, carreering into walls and jagging into the scenery and then when you do get close those stoopid cars double-team you until you spin around.

Just about to throw my controller across the room and then I beat him within 30 seconds of the start. Bizarre stuff.

lol ya it's kind of annoying especially during death runs when you get stuck with a crappy car, feels like you're driving a bus with bald tires.

As for the Opus have you upgraded the tires? The handling gets less ridiculous as the tires are upgraded.

Max is a total ass in this game, other than that it was really enjoyable.

I also hate how you kill Chumbucket at the end of the game but he randomly pops back in your car after the credits roll and you unlock the Interceptor, etc.

Any tips for my above post? I'd really like to continue with the story soon.

I didn't complete most of the objectives in almost every area. Storms are a good way to get quick scrap. When you harpoon a cache, pull the magnum in front of it/ find a rock or something so you can avoid getting pegged by debris a lot. Other than that, clear strongholds for some decent scrap as well. The higher level the better.

Upgrading the harpoon is one of the best ways to clear lower level cars out of the way, too, just rip the wheels off and they're done.

Lima

Any tips for my above post? I'd really like to continue with the story soon.

The story is nothing you need to experience in this game. There will also be a story mission soon after you get into Gastown that requires you to complete side stuff to upgrade your car for the race. You have to take down a top dog and stuff.

Honestly if the side stuff and upgrading both car and Max isn't your thing just stop playing the game.

antitrop

That makes a bit of sense, but I didn't see a tornado. I think Chum did mention a storm, but there was only light wind, if anything.

Ya, the tornado looks like a light wind. It's really poorly done, it really looks like a terrible glitch, but it's happened to me so many times it has to really be intended to be like that... which is weird, because it looks terrible.

I recorded a short clip of it happening here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkvXU-EjYDA

I didn't complete most of the objectives in almost every area. Storms are a good way to get quick scrap. When you harpoon a cache, pull the magnum in front of it/ find a rock or something so you can avoid getting pegged by debris a lot. Other than that, clear strongholds for some decent scrap as well. The higher level the better.

Upgrading the harpoon is one of the best ways to clear lower level cars out of the way, too, just rip the wheels off and they're done.

Thanks. That's what I figured.

The story is nothing you need to experience in this game. There will also be a story mission soon after you get into Gastown that requires you to complete side stuff to upgrade your car for the race. You have to take down a top dog and stuff.

Honestly if the side stuff and upgrading both car and Max isn't your thing just stop playing the game.

The grind gets annoying, but I am enjoying it a bit more. I want to play it more and want to beat it, I just want to beat it soon, because I have a lot of other games to review. (I didn't review this one, but had been looking forward to it.)

Ya, the tornado looks like a light wind. It's really poorly done, it really looks like a terrible glitch, but it's happened to me so many times it has to really be intended to be like that... which is weird, because it looks terrible.

I recorded a short clip of it happening here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkvXU-EjYDA

I believed you! That is a weird glitch, though.

legbone

I've completed the story & cleared all the areas down to zero, yet still missing a Camp. Someone give me hint as I can't find it.

i think there is one in the starting area (where chum's hideout is) that doesn't show up unless you drive close to it (since there is no balloon there). it's either on the extreme left or right of the area.

Raptomex

Lowered Jeet and Gutgash's territories to 0 and am only now starting to feel the grind...but it's definitely settling in now. Just a few too many samey camps, not enough difference in the setpiece convoys yet. Mind you, the story has been pretty simple thus far, so maybe the mainline missions are about to get more interesting?

Either way, still loving the game, but after two territories it's lost a little of its luster for me.
I feel like I should feel this way but I don't. The game just keeps me coming back. Other than the flaws mentioned in this thread, the gameplay itself is really good. Plus I find getting more upgrades addicting.

JRW

Random audio glitches in PC version, sometimes the sound of the Opus engine cuts out completely but I can hear other sounds, or sometimes nearby audio such as explosions are mute. Didnt really start happening til after 30'ish hours in which is odd.

antitrop

Random audio glitches in PC version, sometimes the sound of the Opus engine cuts out completely but I can hear other sounds, or sometimes nearby audio such as explosions are mute. Didnt really start happening til after 30'ish hours in which is odd.

Happens to me all the time on PS4, since the start of the game. Engine cutting out is the most common, but I've also had where the side-flame sound effect on the car wouldn't stop after I used it, until I exited the car.

Also, I've had the dialogue be completely silent until I restarted the game. Other times, there will just be NPCs that have their dialogue muted, but will just be in that one instance and doesn't require a restart.

Game is glitchy as fuck.

Pooya

Just started this, this game is beautiful. Pretty good so far, Max's face looking way too generic though. They could try and make it kinda look like Tom Hardy maybe. I wish there were mods for it...

Raptomex

So I've been taking it slow and I think I've upgraded my car pretty well for where I am in the story. I just got to
Gastown
and I thought it would be more of a challenge. Lol
I lowered the threat to zero
like as soon as I got there. I unlocked the
holy wrench
and maxed it out already. Still haven't checked out
The Dunes
yet but I'm looking forward to it. I also maxed out the legend stats last night. I'm still having a great time.

Ledhead

So I've been taking it slow. I think I've upgraded my car pretty well for where I am in the story. I just got to
Gastown
and I thought it would be more of a challenge. Lol
I lowered the threat to zero
like as soon as I got there. I unlocked the
holy wrench
and maxed it out already. Still haven't checked out
The Dunes
yet. Looking forward to it. I also maxed out the legend stats last night. I'm still having a great time.

I'm a few missions past you. Maxed out Max, and most of the upgrades for the Opus. Like you, I'm still having a ton of fun

Top Bottom