• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

SRTtoZ

So the combat. I get that they wanted to go for something like freeflow, but Jesus Christ did they miss the mark by a huge margin.

It's nowhere near as responsive, enemies seem to have much more flexibility in terms of how quickly they can attack and chain together attacks and the counter mechanic is just a mess with how it's impossible to counter some attacks due to being in a flow of trying to attack one enemy.

It's a mess. They really needed to spend more time on this or just gone in a different direction. Freeflow is a good system, but Avalanche seem to have completely failed to understand why it works so well in Batman.

The combat FEELS good when you hit someone, sort of like TLOU, but you're right in the fact that its not nearly as precise as say Arkham or Mordor, and that's a pretty big deal. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the combat, but guys can come from you at any angle and from off camera so it can fuck up your combo for no reason. Also I notice if the enemy is too far away and you counter it might just not even react, which doesn't happen at all in Batman. A zoomed out or better camera angle would do wonders for the combat.

I'm still very early on (only done like 5 missions) but I'm not a huge fan of the car handling. It's not too bad though, not enough to take the fun out of driving.

Keep in mind when you start the game your base handling ability is shit and you need to upgrade your car quite a bit to get a much better feel. It gets better.

SJRB

Gold Member
Upgrades make a substantial difference, especially tires and suspension.

Absolutely. The game leaves a bad first impression because the car drives like hot garbage at the start. Not until you spend some scrap on better suspention and tires does the car suddenly control like a car is supposed to control.

Also recommend upgrading your engine asap.

system11

Weight makes a huge difference too, don't overload a car until you have an engine capable of heaving it around. Try to keep to the road surfaces too until you've got specific types of build available.

Some of the cars you can find are pretty awesome too, but they're only useful for racing since you lose all your weapons - that's the one shame.

TVexperto

Anybody have tips for new players? Is it better to progress all the story missions or clear all things first in a region / zone? Somebody posted some helpful things a couple of days ago in this or the review thread but I cant find it anymore.

Beefy

Anybody have tips for new players? Is it better to progress all the story missions or clear all things first in a region / zone? Somebody posted some helpful things a couple of days ago in this or the review thread but I cant find it anymore.

I am doing it area by area, I have cleared the first area and nearly the second. Got Max to basically nearly Max stats etc and I am finding it kind of too easy now. Unless it takes a huge step up difficulty in the other places I feel it would have been better to follow the story first.

M.W.

Took a day off from playing, I need Max in my veins. This weekend I'll drop another 10 or so hours into it.

psychotron

Absolutely. The game leaves a bad first impression because the car drives like hot garbage at the start. Not until you spend some scrap on better suspention and tires does the car suddenly control like a car is supposed to control.

Also recommend upgrading your engine asap.

Agree completely. Upgrades are really starting to help.

Dominator

Going to see Fury Road in IMAX tonight. I know I'm going to want to immediately come home and play haha

I am doing it area by area, I have cleared the first area and nearly the second. Got Max to basically nearly Max stats etc and I am finding it kind of too easy now. Unless it takes a huge step up difficulty in the other places I feel it would have been better to follow the story first.
I'm doing this as well, Jeet is complete and I'm almost finished with Gutgash's area. But I'm worried about something. I'm going for the Platinum, will I be screwed from some challenges if I don't finish the ground/car combat challenges? I know Roadkill enemies come no matter what, but might be troublesome if I complete everything. Might go do all the challenges I can before continuing.

ryan299

I'm missing one history relic. I've completed the game, done every side mission, and looted every location.

The one i'm missing is the second to last row and the second in the row, next to the no exceptions one. Help please

Also is there an easy way to get scrap after beating the game? I need to build up the strongholds

JRW

Encountered a bug where the message "Objectives 0/8" was stuck on screen which prevented it from showing other info like when picking up scrap / ammo etc. didnt matter where I went on the map, even in a stronghold (as shown in pic below)

I had to reload the game to fix it, but thats the first time its happened in 27 hours of gameplay.(PC ver)

LPB2Q2K.jpg

KAP151

I'm missing one history relic. I've completed the game, done every side mission, and looted every location.

The one i'm missing is the second to last row and the second in the row, next to the no exceptions one. Help please

Also is there an easy way to get scrap after beating the game? I need to build up the strongholds

As someone that went almost insane checking, rechecking and rechecking the map 150 billion times.....

Head back to the Chums starting area. All the way on the left edge of the map, there is a grate you need to harpoon up and a door to jimmy bar. It wont show up on your map, as Chums area doesnt have any scouting. You need to drive near it to make the icon appear.

ryan299

As someone that went almost insane checking, rechecking and rechecking the map 150 billion times.....

Head back to the Chums starting area. All the way on the left edge of the map, there is a grate you need to harpoon up and a door to jimmy bar. It wont show up on your map, as Chums area doesnt have any scouting. You need to drive near it to make the icon appear.

I think I got that one but I'll check again. thanks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Encountered a bug where the message "Objectives 0/8" was stuck on screen which prevented it from showing other info like when picking up scrap / ammo etc. didnt matter where I went on the map, even in a stronghold (as shown in pic below)

I had to reload the game to fix it, but thats the first time its happened in 27 hours of gameplay.(PC ver)

LPB2Q2K.jpg

I had a similar problem with the large "JEET HAS A NEW WASTELAND MISSION AVAILABLE" prompt.

Malcolm9

LPB2Q2K.jpg

I've had this happen a few times with me (PS4 version), where info remained on the screen and wouldn't go.

Saving and reloading done the trick but hopefully it's something that will get patched out.

M.W.

Ok just went into one of Pink Eyes camps and the enemies kept coming...they didn't stop. I ended up dying after about 20 min of fighting. Glitch?

Check inside Deep Friah's Stronghold maybe it is there.

digital foundry says the game runs at 1080p on ps4 but it looks sub-hd? is it some weird blur filter or something?
FXAA causes the blur.

Ok just went into one of Pink Eyes camps and the enemies kept coming...they didn't stop. I ended up dying after about 20 min of fighting. Glitch?

Possibly a glitch but I do remember one camp that had a large amount of enemy's that kept coming in one area but I don't remember it taking 20 mins to defeat them all.

M.W.

Check inside Deep Friah's Stronghold maybe it is there.

FXAA causes the blur.

Possibly a glitch but I do remember one camp that had a large amount of enemy's that kept coming in one area but I don't remember it taking 20 mins to defeat them all.

Well, I kept retreating to get health back, but I finally beat it. It's Havoc Point. Holy hell there was a lot of people.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Is it possible to select the weaker upgrades for Max, like dealing normal damage, to extend the fights? Most enemies take 3 hits and they are done.

http://www.gamesradar.com/mad-max-history-relic-locations-guide/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/234140/discussions/0/527274698151932177/
also I get scrap every so many minutes from the caps I cleaned out
so I never worry about scrap

Anteater

maybe i should ignore the scrap locations, but I quite like the history relics, and sometimes they're like just right there around the corner and I wanted to see if the location is unique looking or not... but the game takes up too much time doing literally everything, I clocked like 20hrs and I'm still clearing out the second area.

my opinion of the game so far is that it's kind of average to decent, I don't particularly think it does a lot of amazing stuff, but what they're going for is pretty decent, and I don't think there's anything that I'd consider major negative, other than that the game could improve a bit in some areas, I like punching stuff, I like upgrading cars but I think there aren't a lot of depth, although the world looks amazing and I find it relaxing to drive around and punch some dudes, that's what matters the most. Opinion could change since I've been doing side stuff, there could be some really cool missions I haven't touched yet.

Lego Boss

Well, I kept retreating to get health back, but I finally beat it. It's Havoc Point. Holy hell there was a lot of people.

Struggle is real. I just can't do this, there is wave after wave of nasties and then those little MFs with broomsticks. It's crazy and l spent an hour on it the other night and still couldn't beat it.

I don't really think that the 'camp difficulty' with the skulls is a good indicator as one of the first Top Dog's is mental but the later ones are loads easier.

Haven't played for about 18 hours now. Starting to rattle for some more Max. Best game l've played in years in my opinion.

Lima

Any tips for filling the fury meter in under 10 seconds? I've been after this one for a while.

Find a big group of enemies. Now fight until Fury activates. Run around without hitting anyone until it is about half way depleted. Start hitting people and counter to build up a combo. This is the most important. Basically if you get a x20 combo coming out of Fury, a single shiv kill will almost fill it back up.

sharnaak

Just started this on pc since I've been busy with work this week. Oh my god how good it is. I manage to get 60 fps locked with just a 960 and with pretty much all the settings on max at 1080p, avalanche did an awesome job with this game.

I picked up MM just before release after reading the OT. So so glad I did; I've not sunk so many hours into a game for ages. The atmosphere, the world, the driving, fighting, chumbucket, I can't stop and have been praising it to any one that will listen.

It's locked at 60fps with my i3 (4330) + 970 running 21:9 and it's beautiful. While I played SoM, this is holding my attention longer.

Combat underground is sometimes a pain due to the camera. I've a sound bug that sometimes turns down the volume (or cuts the depth out the channel), that fixes if I jump in/out the pause/upgrade menu.

Has anyone worked out what FURY mode is for audio?

Just finished it at 28 hours on PC. I definitely did not do everything and kind of rushed near the end, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Absolutely fantastic game. I'll definitely go back to it just because the h2h combat is so satisfying.

Great Game all around. Avalanche is awesome.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I haven't had a game hold my attention so strongly to get me to power through it like this one in quite a while. It's a blast to play.

M.W.

Has there been any DLC talk? Also, is it true there's only 15 main missions? I've 7 of them.

I worked on Gut Gash's region last night and got it down to 0. I'm just getting the minefields over right away now by using the interwebs and getting the locales. I'm still hooked. I don't want it to end, lol.

nded

The combat FEELS good when you hit someone, sort of like TLOU, but you're right in the fact that its not nearly as precise as say Arkham or Mordor, and that's a pretty big deal. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the combat, but guys can come from you at any angle and from off camera so it can fuck up your combo for no reason. Also I notice if the enemy is too far away and you counter it might just not even react, which doesn't happen at all in Batman. A zoomed out or better camera angle would do wonders for the combat.

I always thought Arkham combat isn't particularly precise because it allows the player to be super sloppy by giving them 15 foot parry windows and thugs that don't try to interrupt your big dumb combo. I appreciate that Max isn't Batman and the player has to pay attention to spacing and try not to get surrounded or cornered.

Has there been any DLC talk? Also, is it true there's only 15 main missions? I've 7 of them.

There's a fair amount of missions, but only a few of them are required to advance what little story there is in the game.

30IR

Banned
I have about 26 hours into the game and have yet to get to the 'Jaw.'

Still have to upgrade the car quite a bit - still on V6 but have some other nice upgrades.

They NEED to add more Convoys and random battles - it seems like there are far too few encounters in the open when just driving around. It feels desolate; I get that that's part of the game but seriously? 1 Convoy per area? They need to do it where it's randomized and multiple levels of difficulty - maybe some with very advanced support vehicles where you get shredded if you try your luck too early.

Other than that, the game is an absolute blast!

Started doing a 5K Walkthrough of the game.

Going to stream it on the Uber Rig in a few minutes here: Mad Max in 5K

LAM09

I worked on Gut Gash's region last night and got it down to 0. I'm just getting the minefields over right away now by using the interwebs and getting the locales. I'm still hooked. I don't want it to end, lol.

There are 16 story missions.

c0Zm1c

Can someone tell me how to beat
tenderloin
? Or how to get better at parrying in general?

Just parry when the icon pops up and immediately follow that up with your own attacks (this should be your only method of attack since
she
dodges everything else - I think), and roll out of the way whenever the red warning icon pops up.

Maybe someone else can give more/better advice but that's pretty much all I did to win that fight.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just started it on PC. At first the controls feel like someone was having an off day at work and thought it would be fun to jump with the triggers and shoot with the B button. I'm getting use to it. It's not bad. I like the change they made because every game feels like it has the same controls.

After watching Fury Road I'm not quite into the story yet, thus I skip some of the cut scenes. I like the world and all, but I need it to build a little bit more before I start caring about what's going on. Smaller cut scenes at the beginning that build bulk tend to annoy me unless they prove otherwise. I don't mind it in some games, but I know Max is going to come out from under the shadows, reunite with someone, and go off on a journey.

It's like the Fist of the North Star approach. He meets the kids and thus gains their trust and it builds bonds. This is just Max and his pal doing post pre-game stuff. It's the kinda stuff that you see games always having to include. You always got to start off with them telling you to walk and look around.

zatara

I really love this game, been playing more than a week non stop, but man some of the design decisions just kill me. making some doors "explosive only" is beyond stupid. I'm in an area right now where a project part is behind an explosive door and I don't have a fuel tank on me....and there is not a single one near me. I never have an issue running close to low on fuel so i never have to keep a tank with me. still love the game but it can drive me bonkers sometimes.

I really love this game, been playing more than a week non stop, but man some of the design decisions just kill me. making some doors "explosive only" is beyond stupid. I'm in an area right now where a project part is behind an explosive door and I don't have a fuel tank on me....and there is not a single one near me. I never have an issue running close to low on fuel so i never have to keep a tank with me. still love the game but it can drive me bonkers sometimes.
I don't know if I've ever run into an explosives only door without a fuel tank or thunderstick nearby?

Chin35char

Man, I am loving this game. I got Metal Gear Solid V the same day, and I'm only on mission 6 on that game because I can't stop playing Mad Max. I love the wasteland and driving my opus around. I made it to Pink Eye but now I'm running through Jeets territory trying to drop it down to zero, only have one more camp left to take over.

I highly recommend the armory, and water well upgrades for at least one stronghold. Cleanup crew for all strongholds.

Spending most of my scrap upgrading Max himself but every now and again I focus on the opus. Trying to get the suspension and grappling hook all the way maxed.

Chin35char

Always try to keep a spare fuel tank in the back of the opus for situations like this.

Razorback

I have about 26 hours into the game and have yet to get to the 'Jaw.'

Still have to upgrade the car quite a bit - still on V6 but have some other nice upgrades.

They NEED to add more Convoys and random battles - it seems like there are far too few encounters in the open when just driving around. It feels desolate; I get that that's part of the game but seriously? 1 Convoy per area? They need to do it where it's randomized and multiple levels of difficulty - maybe some with very advanced support vehicles where you get shredded if you try your luck too early.

Other than that, the game is an absolute blast!

Started doing a 5K Walkthrough of the game.

Going to stream it on the Uber Rig in a few minutes here: Mad Max in 5K

I'm not sure I agree with that. The amount of encounters is already a bit on the high side for my tastes. I like the desolate feeling. And I like that the convoys are a fixed thing on the map, and once you clear it, its gone. It's good that when you clear a base it's never repopulated. Gives you a nice feeling of progress as you clear the maps.

But convoys are the probably my favorite part so I agree that there should be more.

Top Bottom