• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAD MAX |OT| Beyond Thunderpoon

Roussow

Game has definitely gotten better with upgrades, melee combat has been consistently good, but there was a bit of a difficulty spike with vehicular combat -- especially the convoys after the first (mandatory?) one. The auto-refill ammo for Thunderpoons is a godsend at Jeets, now it's a lot more practical to take those convoys down, I don't have to aimlessly harpoon things for ages -- car seems to noticeably control a hell of a lot better with suspension/tire upgrades, it's kinda shocking how much better the Opus handles.

I really love this game, been playing more than a week non stop, but man some of the design decisions just kill me. making some doors "explosive only" is beyond stupid. I'm in an area right now where a project part is behind an explosive door and I don't have a fuel tank on me....and there is not a single one near me. I never have an issue running close to low on fuel so i never have to keep a tank with me. still love the game but it can drive me bonkers sometimes.

Is that the one in Pink Eye's territory in the northern part in a burned/ruined mini town/city area?

I had that same problem there, no fuel tank. And I was trying to get an angle with the car to thunderpoon through the barriers. I couldn't, BUT I could get an angle to harpoon one of the ladders that was stuck. Did that, pulled it down, climbed up, went over...profit.

zatara

Is that the one in Pink Eye's territory in the northern part in a burned/ruined mini town/city area?

I had that same problem there, no fuel tank. And I was trying to get an angle with the car to thunderpoon through the barriers. I couldn't, BUT I could get an angle to harpoon one of the ladders that was stuck. Did that, pulled it down, climbed up, went over...profit.

yup it was that one...I just went to an area I took over and got a fuel tank and came back....I never thought of using the thunderpoon to do stuff like that thanks!!!

lunchtoast

About 15 hours in. One thing I don't like is during combat the camera will zoom in on you blocking out all the other enemies and you have no idea if you'll have to counter or evade. Also getting a prompt to counter when you can't counter!

About 15 hours in. One thing I don't like is during combat the camera will zoom in on you blocking out all the other enemies and you have no idea if you'll have to counter or evade. Also getting a prompt to counter when you can't counter!
That can get really annoying . I press the counter button and nothing happens .

AEREC

Bought this game the other day for $36 at GMG...put a few hours into it this weekend and it's a really solid open world game. Not sure how this was critically panned. It has great character and vehicle customization, just enough story, brutal combat (both car and fist), and beautiful environments.

Just don't get how a game like Shadow of Mordor gets GOTY while this gets quite the opposite reaction. I thought the nemesis system in SoM was cool but not revolutionary or anything. That said it would have been awesome in Mad Max.

Anilusion

Just finished the game. It was longer and better than I expected. The combat was pretty boring though, both on foot and while driving, it just got old really quick. I had a lot of fun exploring and collecting things though. The game is gorgeous!

Overall, worth my money and better than I expected.

Into my first 3 hours of Mad Max and I have to say it is very engaging and enjoyable. Looks really great on the PS4 and just driving around is fun. I'm dead sure I'll be spending much more hours in this game. Well worth buying.
The upgrade system is really good and addictive.

webkatt

So I am messing around on the PS4 version and apparently you can activate the Dash Camera/FPS Camera while driving. Just double tap Down on the D-Pad.

Ledhead

I haven't touched MGSV in the last week or so. Mad Max has taken what gaming time I have. I think it's because this game is just so much funner to play in the short bursts. You can easily mop up an area in an hour or two of playtime.

Still loving this game and I'm a good 25 or so hours in. Doing things in Gastown/beginning to clear threat from Pink Eye's turf.

Unity2012

I haven't touched MGSV in the last week or so. Mad Max has taken what gaming time I have. I think it's because this game is just so much funner to play in the short bursts. You can easily mop up an area in an hour or two of playtime.

Still loving this game and I'm a good 25 or so hours in. Doing things in Gastown/beginning to clear threat from Pink Eye's turf.

Same here; whatever leasure time I have I cant resist not getting back into MM for a couple hours of plain fun. Upgrading my car and max abilities has been my new goal. I'm still playing on the Jeets area and really enjoying it.

Anteater

hmm are there missable quests in the game? I started that quest with the mom in the cage but I haven't gotten to it yet, I played some more and noticed the character is not in the cage now

hmm are there missable quests in the game? I started that quest with the mom in the cage but I haven't gotten to it yet, I played some more and noticed the character is not in the cage now

Not that I'm aware, she went missing from the cage for me too. She later turns up
in another cage in Gas Town for another side mission.

I just picked this up yesterday and played a couple hours today, and I'm really loving it so far! The game's gorgeous, and I love just wandering and exploring the wasteland. The car combat's pretty fun, and it's so satisfying to yank a guy out of the driver's seat and watch him fly off. I also didn't expect the map to be so big; it was a pleasant surprise when I zoomed out and saw it. I can't wait to play more; I love the world of Mad Max, and so far I feel like this game's captured it pretty well.

antitrop

I'm glad I picked this up, instead of pushing through Chapter 2 of MGS V.

Perfect podcast game, as the dialogue is throwaway, the cutscenes skippable, and the soundtrack nearly nonexistent. Mindless fun.

AEREC

I'm glad I picked this up, instead of pushing through Chapter 2 of MGS V.

Perfect podcast game, as the dialogue is throwaway, the cutscenes skippable, and the soundtrack nearly nonexistent. Mindless fun.

I don't get how people can do this...what's the point?

I don't get how people can do this...what's the point?

To have more fun? It might be different for people who don't listen to alot of podcasts.

I usually save my podcast playing for a second play through, but there is literally nothing important to hear outside the very rare Cutscene in this game. It makes very little difference not experiencing the sound effect of your 7th storm

I have about 26 hours into the game and have yet to get to the 'Jaw.'

Still have to upgrade the car quite a bit - still on V6 but have some other nice upgrades.

They NEED to add more Convoys and random battles - it seems like there are far too few encounters in the open when just driving around. It feels desolate; I get that that's part of the game but seriously? 1 Convoy per area? They need to do it where it's randomized and multiple levels of difficulty - maybe some with very advanced support vehicles where you get shredded if you try your luck too early.

Other than that, the game is an absolute blast!

Started doing a 5K Walkthrough of the game.

Going to stream it on the Uber Rig in a few minutes here: Mad Max in 5K

I don't think they need to increase the number of encounters, but I'd pay for a "War Rig, Bikes, and Mounted Combat" update with lots of new randomly generated convoy routes and roaming gang types. I recently hit 45 hours and with much of Pink Eye's left to complete, I'd be lying if I said the combat set ups (on foot and vehicle) weren't getting a bit stale now.

I want a convoy so big that I can actually harpoon the back of a truck and/or tanker, get out of my car while tailing it, and run across (and get in fights) on the top of said truck and/or tanker while it's still going.

I want a convoy so big that I can actually harpoon the back of a truck and/or tanker, get out of my car while tailing it, and run across (and get in fights) on the top of said truck and/or tanker while it's still going.

It's kinda strange that the Avalanche Studios genetic material passed down to Mad Max was the harpoon rather than standing on top of vehicles. I think having the ability to be on top of cars/trucks (ideally car hopping and fighting on War Rigs) with a big range of movement would be MUCH more valuable set of mechanics for this title to have than being able to harpoon cars and a few pieces of the environment.

jediyoshi

Wrapped up at 41 hours. Enjoyed the story beats towards the end, though because of the way I played (maxed out Max/most of the car upgrades by mission 8), it had a funny pacing. Pretty much breezed through all the rest of the boss fights.
The big giant race at Gastown the game spent building up was over in about 6 thunderpoon shots.

I wish the strongholds played a larger part into the story, their characters and them felt pushed to the side after the story refocuses in Gastown. Wouldn't mind some DLC that had more stuff to do in the buzzard territory.

KAP151

these barrell dash races are fucking stupid

Wait till you have to do them with all the archangels for the achievement/trophy...

Randomly spins you out no matter the angle or speed you hit them on.

I put aside an afternoon to do them all. An exercise in pure frustration.

The Death Runs needed a lot of work. Seemed poorly implemented to me.

I hope to play this some more today. I'm still just at the start of act 3, with about 8-10 hours played, and I feel like I've taken my time.

I want to get it finished before too many more big games come out, and want it off my backlog. I'm already in the midst of playing MGS V and NHL, though :S.

Four hours in, and this might be the most boring game I've ever played. Zero attempt to hide the menial busywork and checklist-filling with any kind of story or interesting setpieces. Awful. At least it's super cheap on the PC

jediyoshi

Four hours in, and this might be the most boring game I've ever played. Zero attempt to hide the menial busywork and checklist-filling with any kind of story or interesting setpieces. Awful. At least it's super cheap on the PC

Loved the set pieces. Giant abandoned oil rig, dug out cliff sides, repurposed landed ships, huge bridges fallen apart. Have a great sense of scale as well wherein other games things this large would just be relegated to background set pieces, here they turn into camps you eventually make your way through. It is interesting your points don't actually touch on any of the core gameplay whatsoever and just how they're structured. Were those included or could you look at those separately in a vacuum if you tried to?

Lego Boss

Sounds like you're rattling for some Just Cause 3 . . .

It's a damn shame this game isn't being received as well by critics.

It's easily an 8.5 to 9.5 game for me. I dropped MGSV to continue playing this.

I beat the game last night, the story definitely picks up a bit towards the end, a bit of a shame that it meanders so much in the middle.

This game is a bit hard to give a solid verdict on.....its filled with Ubi-style collectathon open world busy work, but its oddly addictive. The combat is satisfying but a bit sloppy compared to the sickness of the Batman games. The car combat can be awesome but is kinda shit until you level up the Magnum Opus quite a bit, until then the car is just too delicate.

Objectively this game has a lot of problems, but overall I had fun with it and will probably throw it in to level up the Opus more.

Dominator

Some of these challenges are grating lol I'm getting frustrated. Game is still really fun but now that I'm just going for trophies I can see the finish line.

miserable

hello guys, i would like to know how do i access the DLC in this game?
i bought the game on Steam using a code and it gave me 2 DLCs, The Ripper and Thirst Cutter. both of them show up as installed, but i can't find them in the menu after i start the game.
maybe i'm not seeing the obvious, any help?

c0Zm1c

hello guys, i would like to know how do i access the DLC in this game?
i bought the game on Steam using a code and it gave me 2 DLCs, The Ripper and Thirst Cutter. both of them show up as installed, but i can't find them in the menu after i start the game.
maybe i'm not seeing the obvious, any help?
The Ripper is added to the car body sub menu in the garage menu. The Thirstcutter is only available during races I think (not tried it myself yet).

100%'ed Jeet and Gutgash's regions last night and I'd upgraded the car as far as I could without progressing further in the story, so I decided to make for the Jaw last night.

Loved that mission, and the introduction to Pink Eye.

Game is great fun. Looking forward to V8s!

autoduelist

Does clearing areas make it harder to find unlockable cars / get good battles (for melee challenges, etc) later? that is, when do i need to start focusing on challenges? Should I leave a high threat level until I"m done them?

Does clearing areas make it harder to find unlockable cars / get good battles (for melee challenges, etc) later? that is, when do i need to start focusing on challenges? Should I leave a high threat level until I"m done them?

You can unlock cars by doing races. I can't really say how much of a difference there was in the amount cars but there did seem to be less cars after clearing areas. If you are going for the achievements the only challenges you have to worry about are the car combat challenges although it may be possible to miss some of the wasteland challenges. I can't really give any advice on the car combat challenges because I found really boring like grinding in a RPG but maybe you can complete the challenges by grinding them on a convoy by not completely destroying the convoy and letting it respawn. I played through the game by just doing everything you see on the map and got all the achievements except for the "Up to the Task" achievement.

Doing this never gets old

GIF9862b.gif

I got to the mission after the nitros and man, it's underwhelming. The combat is pretty boring, the options feel limited from the getgo, and the car handling feels off (but I am coming off of slip and slide Sleepy Dogs, to be fair). It's all just not clicking with me as much as I thought it would.

Also, my CPU hits 98 percent randomly with this game. Nothing is overheating, so I don't know what's going on there. Once I upgrade my CPU and motherboard I'll try it again, but if people have some tips to ease me in better, I'm all ears.

antitrop

This game would be so much better if it focused on more scripted, setpiece-driven convoy chases, instead of just being a Ubisoft-template collectathon.

Aside from The Order: 1886, Mad Max might be the biggest missed opportunity all year.

Top Bottom