• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was a bit lukewarm on the trailer when I watched it last night but watching it again today it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think they just seemed to be a bit off on the tone and misstepped on the humour. Hopefully the first full trailer will be a bit more of the fun.

If he shrinks after jumping, where is his shrunken form displaced? Does it stay at his centre of mass? Is it at his feet? Wouldn't the fall to the ground kill him?

This, and the cake question, are questions I need answered.
The fact that he retains his regular strength after he shrinks means there's some weird physics involved here. In the comics it's pretty inconsistent tho.

If they can convince me that it is still in line with Edgar Wright's vision I'll jump back on the hype train. But right now one of my favorite directors got bounced, and the film as shown has taken a sharp turn from his original concept video and normal work.

The concept video just showed him shrinking and fighting some generic goons. Is this really a "sharp turn" that he's flying on an ant instead (which is more serious than a fight scene how?)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The concept video just showed him shrinking and fighting some generic goons. Is this really a "sharp turn" that he's flying on an ant instead (which is more serious than a fight scene how?)

The concept video was brightly colored and features really good comedic timing in relation to having a tiny man fight normal sized humans.

This looks like it somehow wants to make him flying on an ant a serious endeavor.

Still hoping for a five minute tracking shot of Lang escaping after thebheist where he blows through goons and security systems all while shrinking and growing and the camera never cutting.

antman.gif

For comparison so people know what we're talking about.

Not sure I see the bright colours and "really good" comedic timing though.

For the record, I fully expect a scene like this to be intact in the final film. If not, then you can get your hands on some Pym Particles and serve me up a giant crow to eat.

Ant-Man can be pretty fucking cool when flying in on an army of ants. But I'm sure Rudd will make it funny and silly in the beginning when he is learning the ropes.

Alienous

The concept video was brightly colored and features really good comedic timing in relation to having a tiny man fight normal sized humans.

This looks like it somehow wants to make him flying on an ant a serious endeavor.

Yeah. I think the helicopter sound effects and visual framing lends itself a lot to that. It's very 'badass' where it should probably be played as 'dude, I'm flying on an ant'.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Wow, real mature, pulga.
Seriously, what a lame thing to do. Dude needs to grow up.
I'm guessing you guys don't remember the AoS S1 thread?

I've watched all of the MCU and all of Arrow. You're saying that Arrow being not a good show (your opinion) means it does not as high production values as was shown in this trailer, but your opinion doesn't mean that. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the production values shown in this trailer seemed very high.
I did not say that, if I did it would be weird because I love Arrow.
You however said "I feel like Arrow is able to have similar production values despite being a show." which is simply and objectively not true.

I don't have high expectations for this one, but I didn't for Guardians either, and that was goddamn amazing.

And then I keep getting hyped for Ironman and Thor movies that end up being mediocre at best.

They should have taken a cue from Age of Ultron's trailer and abused the Disney license; had an upbeat remix of "It's a Small World After All" after Lang says "Huh.."

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
the edgar wright circle jerk is out of hand.

I like Edgar Wright a lot, but I also enjoy stupid summer pop corn flicks.

The issue isn't that you fire/run off Edgar Wright.

It's that you fire/run off Edgar Wright and then produce this trailer.

I like Edgar Wright a lot, but I also enjoy stupid summer pop corn flicks.

The issue isn't that you fire/run off Edgar Wright.

It's that you fire/run off Edgar Wright and then produce this trailer.

Well, yeah. Everything about this film smells of comedy, from the writer, to the director, all the way up to the lead role.

Lang discusses a name change... might as well have had Ant-Man Begins.

Please. As soon as the teaser came out, there were a ton of posts saying "I told you this movie is gonna suck without Wright!"

Dude there's four posts on this page alone, at least saying "Damn them Wright fanboys". I posted a World's End gif, and everybody loses their minds. Get over it. It's a change that wasn't popular, and it will continue to be unpopular until the film is released, and is good.

Lunar15

The reason people are bringing up Wright is that due to the "less-than-cool" status of Ant-Man and his powers, people expected a zanier take on the concept. When it was announced that Wright was making the movie, his zany-fast style of direction seemed like a good fit for a lot of people and brought the project to perspective.

Flash forward to now, and we have a Wrightless production with a teaser that didn't seem quirky in the slightest. Could have been the same teaser with or without him, but there's a solid reason people are worried about him not being in the driver's seat, and this trailer does little to assuage those fears.

guek

Banned
Dude there's four posts on this page alone, at least saying "Damn them Wright fanboys". I posted a World's End gif, and everybody loses their minds. Get over it. It's a change that wasn't popular, and it will continue to be unpopular until the film is released, and is good.
In all fairness, there has been a lot more bitching about the lack of Wright in this very thread than you're acknowledging.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that fan edit nailed it

even if the guitar riff is bad, the tonal shift is crucial for the trailer

that fan edit nailed it

even if the guitar riff is bad, the tonal shift is crucial for the trailer

I really think it would have gone a long way to expressing what they were going for. Doesn't even need a riff, just abruptly stop the dramatic music.

Again, a minor misstep, but the teaser could have definitely conveyed the tone better.

It just doesn't work when you try and have a guy ride an ant to a dramatic score. It just doesn't.

That trailer was just fine. There's probably a better music choice out there, but it beats "Hans Zimmer kinda score" they went for.

It just doesn't work when you try and have a guy ride an ant to a dramatic score. It just doesn't.

That trailer was just fine. There's probably a better music choice out there, but it beats "Hans Zimmer kinda score" they went for.

It's kinda like the very first Iron Man teaser that shows him flying around with the two fighter jets. You don't need music for moments like that, just let the spectacle set in.

I didn't expect the tone to be gritty. I thought it was going to be somewhat light-hearted.

I really don't interpret it as gritty, it's more heroic, but a theme change was definitely needed for when it becomes clear that Scott isn't taking Hank's speech too seriously.

Now THIS was fucking COOL

if this were the official teaser instead it would have been way more effective

We got a very brief clip of him throwing someone similar to in that test footage, but yeah hopefully the first "real" trailer does have a moment like that as the highlight.

Enilced2

Wait am I missing something?

The whole trailer was a lead up to the joke, it's an intentional let's make it seem all super gritty and intense just to have Paul Rudd make the name joke.... That's the joke

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That's even worse

Yeah, I agree. I think there should have been a slight score change but that fan-edit gets it horribly wrong.

The whole trailer was a lead up to the joke, it's an intentional let's make it seem all super gritty and intense just to have Paul Rudd make the name joke.... That's the joke

Nah, you missed the point I think. This is Marvel showing that it's not going to be a bog-standard origin story, where smart quips are made every 5 minutes. Undoubtedly the film will have some, but this teaser shows some emotion with his daughter. The joke still works, but I don't think the entire teaser is the set-up.

anaron

Everyone gets the joke. Problem is, it doesn't land at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom