• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah..lol. To me it was the best part of this trailer. Looks fun and you can clealry see Rudd's eyes through the gogles.

Yeah I wasn't sure if they were going to do the internal helmet shots like they do with Iron Man. But I think the fact that you can see his eyes and it's more of a leather suit than a suit of metal armor will allow Rudd to emote enough while in costume. It's not like most heroes where he can still fight with the helmet off, Ant-Man needs the helmet on in order to operate normally.

Abounder

Banned
Costume looks good although you can't help but be reminded of Starlord's red eyes too

Listening to the generic trailer music reminded me that Steven Price also dropped out once Wright left. The soundtrack was one of the main things I was looking forward to.

Not to mention that Brad Allan from Jackie Chan's Stunt Team is coordinating this...Edgar Wright is one of the few directors around that knows how to shoot a fight and they worked together in the past as well. Unfortunately the rest of Hollywood spoils good action choreography with fast shoots and shaky cam cuts

Anyway yea this movie will probably be a hack job like Thor 2 which also had director drama, but people still liked that shit anyway =D

Lunar15

Personally, I think you go in with goofiness and then surprise an audience with heart (oh, he has a daughter, a reason to fight! I was already sold, but they actually wrote a story here!) Rather than lead with the heart and then show goofiness later.

It doesn't work for everything, but I personally find it effective.

It pulled me in and then he said,
"I need you to become the Ant Man." and I had pretty much the same reaction.

Huh....

But it looks alright. It doesn't grab me but I'm sure it will be fine.

Jag

As I expected, breezing past Hank and Jan fun adventure times to get to "reformed criminal with daughter to tie him down" was a fucking terrible concept back when Wright was forcing it, and even worse now theyre stuck with it and having to soldier on.

Scott Lang is not interesting. Especially not when he starts out. Hank Pym is a fucking lynch pin of the Marvel universe, but now he's relegated to a grumpy old man that cant speak too often because the actor theyve chosen had a tragic shitload of throat/tongue cancer. Who seemingly wont have much to do with Ultron, bring Giant Man into the fold, or any of that.

Marvels first huge misstep and honestly its not entirely their fault. Their early faith in Edgar Wright before they actually had their own success has come back to haunt them in the worst way.

Can someone explain why they went this Scott Lang guy as Ant-Man 2? I stopped reading comics in the late 80s and didn't even know Hank Pym wasn't Ant-Man anymore.

Can someone explain why they went this Scott Lang guy as Ant-Man 2? I stopped reading comics in the late 80s and didn't even know Hank Pym wasn't Ant-Man anymore.

Wright basically said "Lang is the Ant-Man I grew up with" and I think Feige liked the idea of mixing it up and doing a "passing the torch" story for the origin movie.

Lang is indeed not that interesting compared to Pym...but that's not necessarily something that has to be the case for the movie.

Blader

The original idea was to do the first half of the movie with a younger Hank Pym in action in the 60s, and then the second half would star Scott Lang in the present with an older Pym acting as a mentor. Somewhere along the way that second half was rewritten to be the whole movie.

Slayven

Wright basically said "Lang is the Ant-Man I grew up with" and I think Feige liked the idea of mixing it up and doing a "passing the torch" story for the origin movie.

Lang is indeed not that interesting compared to Pym...but that's not necessarily something that has to be the case for the movie.

3835085-eric_o%27grady-ant-man%26wasp%231-secret_avenger.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
What, this trailer? No it didn't. If you want to go even further back, the first actual teaser for The Avengers which aired after Cap was just a 5 second clip show ending with Thor tossing a hammer. There really wasn't a lot to The Avengers trailers until the later ones.

I'll give you The Winter Soldier though. As for Guardians, the first teaser shown at Comic Con was pretty run of the mill. Ant-Man doesn't look like anything above what a lot of previous Marvel trailers have done; bunch of action scenes spliced between two or so jokes as part of a punchline to show it's still light at heart.

Not to say it's necessarily going to be better because it doesn't look that good right now.
The comic con footage and the 5 second cap footage were not teaser trailers though. I am talking officially released actual teasers shown in theaters. You can't compare those to actual theatrical teaser trailers which this Ant-Man teaser is. The ACTUAL teasers for Avengers and Guardians were great. You named two non-teaser trailers by comparison.

Outside of Thor 2 I can't think of an actual teaser trailer that was poorly received in Phase 2 outside of Ant-Man. And we know how Thor 2 turned out.

jackal27

Banned
Getting some bad vibes from this. Glad to see that it's not just me. I really hope Marvel can keep the awesome streak they've been on, but I'm not super confident at this point.

You know folks will flip when the first full trailer drops

I dunno I think this is a different case and a lot of people have already made their mind up about the movie, and will find any reason to hate it.

Teaser wasn't perfect but there's a lot of willful ignorance going on, I can't take it seriously when people are saying the trailer showed nothing about the story or the "he just shrinks? that's lame" comments.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So, how many times do people have to be proven wrong before they accept that nothing stops the Marvel train?

I don't get this -I love the MCU but there have been some not-great films along the way.

Why is any criticism dismissed as "people hating on Marvel"?

I don't get this -I love the MCU but there have been some not-great films along the way.

Not great sure, but "Marvel's Green Lantern"? I have no idea how that assumption is made based on a short teaser.

I need an actual trailer and not a teaser before I can make any bigger judgments. I just feel that it shows promise at this point and isn't the trainwreck people expected.

Slayven

I dunno I think this is a different case and a lot of people have already made their mind up about the movie, and will find any reason to hate it.

Teaser wasn't perfect but there's a lot of willful ignorance going on, I can't take it seriously when people are saying the trailer showed nothing about the story or the "he just shrinks? that's lame" comments.

It's the same amount of folks that see Wright movies in theaters, so not a big concern.

Peru

So, how many times do people have to be proven wrong before they accept that nothing stops the Marvel train?

Eh, the trailer was tame no matter how the movie turns out. I've never bet against a Marvel movie box office-wise, and I have no doubt this will be successful as well. Whether it's any good or not is another discussion and hopefully they do a better job at showing it off in future trailers.

Bloomers

The movie looks good. The trailer itself was not so well done (aka really undecided tone-wise).

Will definitely need a peak at some of the action scenes and major character relationships in the next trailer though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Eh, the trailer was tame no matter how the movie turns out. I've never bet against a Marvel movie box office-wise, and I have no doubt this will be successful as well. Whether it's any good or not is another discussion and hopefully they do a better job at showing it off in future trailers.

yeah, it would be dumb to say this will bomb coming off of AoU

Not great sure, but "Marvel's Green Lantern"? I have no idea how that assumption is made based on a short teaser.

i dont think it'll be GL bad but it could be flawed like IM2 or forgettable like Thor 2

i mean, i will still see this in theatres and this will set up some great ant man set pieces in the next avengers movie but i think it's reasonable to be cautiously optimistic about this

CloudWolf

Wright & Pegg just made too much sense, I suppose.

Rudd's cool, though.

Simon Pegg was never in the running for the role of Lang.

Funny sidenote: Someone on Reddit asked Edgar Wright which Marvel characters would best suit Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and he said that he would cast them in a Damage Control movie.
Which is something that needs to happen.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
This bloke so wants to be the first to post Marvel threads, he gets in before the trailer is even up.

The trailer itself wasn't bad, but it didn't really do much to get the hype for Ant-Man going. Hopefully the full trailer will do that. The suit looks great.
Damn the topic got a bit aggressive.

I hope this is the first huge Marvel bomb. First for wasting dear Edgars time. And second, because I am sick of their bland movies, and I am disturbed by how they are harming cinema.

Stories are good because you have endings. You need a good ending to have satisfaction. But Marvel movies never end, they are just a never ending stream of fighting against glowing rocks.

I like resolution and Marvel cannot ever give this.
LOL
Wasting time? Destroying cinema? Please understand expand.

Michael Douglas absolutely phoned this film in, didn't he?
Like Hopkins probably!

You act like my comment is laughable, and make a derogatory joke about Arrow as if it discredits what I said.
Because it is. Do you even watch Arrow? Or any of the MCU movies for that matter?

Often there is more than one story occurring in a movie. some may conclude, some may not. Think of the Marvel movies as a TV series if you like. Some TV series have an episode story and a larger season long arc. Each episodes story gets a conclusion, just as each story in a Marvel movie does, the arc continues though.

Now if you just don't like the idea of serialised movies, just fucking say that.
This.

There needs to be a rule where people post citations and quotes when posting random rumours and gossip.
I agree with this.

Why the constant need to tie things into the marvel universe for future movies? It's a marvel movie - you could have it entirely standalone and then throw him in with the avengers and we'd make the link. No need to telegraph things bluntly all the time.
Have you seen the kind of question people ask after these movies? I sincerely doubt most people would make the connection.

Marvel defenders need to chill out and realise that there's a lot of confusion about the trailer because it just wasn't that fun looking. The next trailer needs to be goofy as hell. We all know it.
Chill out? Daredevil isn't even out yet :(

I love Trevor.

tumblr_mrw93mVIXH1r9zp6fo1_500.gif
Trevor is awesome.

I see it like this. The MCU is basically a television series and all the villians we've had thusfar were 'villian of the week'-deals. That also explains why the 'big bad' of the series, Thanos, has had no character at all up until now, they're saving him for the series finale/second half of the season. Just like how in shows like Arrow and The Flash the big bads only showed up in the mid-season finale.
Exactly, the MCU is a (very) expensive TV show, I mean, the movies look like made for tv with that cinematography and vfx amirite or amirite

Lot of negativity here, the bit where he shrunk was awesome.
The reactions in this thread are hilariously over the top.
Well, it IS a Marvel thread on GAF, I'd expect nothing less.

they may as well call the movie Green Lantern 2: Elektra vs. Batman & Robin
I'd add "Catwoman's revenge"

Nothing can be worse then Thor 2.
The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 exist.

CloudWolf

Exactly, the MCU is a (very) expensive TV show, I mean, the movies look like made for tv with that cinematography and vfx amirite or amirite
That's not where I was going with that. Almost every Marvel movie looks really nice and GotG had some of the best CGI scenes of 2014, but the way the MCU is set up is basically the same as a television show. You've got your big overarching story (the A-plot) that's filled with episodes (the non-Avengers movies) that feature their own little plot, but in the grand scheme of things still purely exist to continue the overarching plot (either through explicit references or the post-credits scenes). You even see this pattern in the directors Marvel uses. Why do you think that Marvel loves television directors so much (Whedon, the Russo's)?

That's also the whole reason why someone like Thanos was in Guardians of the Galaxy. He didn't need to be there, the movie would've made perfect sense if all his scenes were cut. You'd have a story about Ronan who searches for the Infinity Stone to destroy Xandar. Thanos was just kinda added in because he's going to play a much bigger role later on and the people need to know who he is.

Pachimari

Imagine the next trailer is full-blown action with shrinking and growing, punching people from inside their mouths and running underneath doors and everything. Ant size. Everyone will be on board.

I liked it, sue me! The suit most of all. I get why the trailer left a lot of people cold though, it has some tone issues in that the dramatic narration and the epic music clashes with both Rudd's lines and the premise of Ant-Man in general. I get the feeling that they were going for another "Starlord... Who?" moment, with the overly dramatic narration contrasting with the hilarity of the fate of the world resting on an Ant-Man but it didn't really work. It seems to me that the teaser should have been much shorter, especially the initial part until the "huh" line. It would have made the punchline much more effective. In any case, I can't wait! I have full faith in Marvel and they haven't let me down so far.

I liked it, sue me! The suit most of all. I get why the trailer left a lot of people cold though, it has some tone issues in that the dramatic narration and the epic music clashes with both Rudd's lines and the premise of Ant-Man in general. I get the feeling that they were going for another "Starlord... Who?" moment, with the overly dramatic narration contrasting with the hilarity of the fate of the world resting on an Ant-Man but it didn't really work. It seems to me that the teaser should have been much shorter, especially the initial part until the "huh" line. It would have made the punchline much more effective. In any case, I can't wait! I have full faith in Marvel and they haven't let me down so far.

It gave me the vibe of a serious man trying to pass on his important legacy to a buffoon, which is probably going to be the core of their relationship. Lang isn't going to take any of Pym's shit seriously until it becomes clear to him that he can do some good and help Cassie by embracing the Ant-Man role.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I didn't like the teaser, but it was probably just a misstep. I like Rudd and I like the character. I'm sure the first trailer will make the film show its true nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom