• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Can we talk a bit how great Michael Douglas sounds as Pym? Especially if you go listen to the SDCC trailer audio of him mocking Lang. I'm not sure whether I want pure scientist Hank Pym, mildly insane Hank Pym, or complete asshole Hank Pym in this movie. Is it too much to hope for all three?

why asshole pym? thats like asking for good guy tony stark

You're reading Daredevil and Ant-Man. You might as well go in all the way now, NTGYK. It's time to read SUPERHERO comics!

troy-scream.gif

Protome

This thread... It's like reading the threads leading up to guardians of the galaxy all over again.
I think the difference there is Guardians of The Galaxy's trailers made it look fantastic just a bit more niche than previous marvel films. This trailer hasn't killed my interest in Ant Man but it has certainly reduced it.

Toxi

Banned
Something that really bugs (heh) me... Why did they not capitalize on the coolness factor of riding an ant? Forget that other generic movie stuff, he's half a centimeter tall and riding a fucking ant. That should be the slow shot that makes the audience go "woah". Yet the trailer seems to barely care.

Loved that episode.

All I can say is that, you will not regret it.

And I'm kinda proud that I was one of the dozens of people to make you see the brilliance of Waid's Daredevil.

I also read Ms Marvel.

I AM MIRED IN A PIT OF LIES

6qLX3WR.gif

You both missed out on the obviously best one. *points to NTGYK's avatar and my tag*

*once again has a little chuckle about NTGYK not having one of these tags*

The GotG trailer was actually interesting and full of energy.
Actually the very first GOTG trailer got quite a lot of complaints too from people on here, not everyone of course but I remember quite a few comments saying things like ‘This isn’t funny/shows nothing of the story/boring’ etc.

AMUSIX

So, if I'm seeing this correctly:

Hank creates Pym Industries, invents the suit back in the 60's.
At some point, there's a (hostile?) takeover of the company, Hank gets shut out, Darren Cross assumes control.
Pym's daughter works at Pym Industries under Cross.
In order to get the suit back, or to get the technology out of Cross' hands (who, I'm assuming, wants to weaponize it) Hank seeks out a thief. Relating to the father-daughter relationship that Lang has, and seeing the good in him, he recruits Scott to help him.
The heist goes off at Pym Industry, with Hank planing, Scott executing, and Hope as their inside man.

Most of the backstory is fairly textbook. Depending on how the heist goes, this could be pretty fun.

I will say that I've been a huge fan of almost everything Marvel's put out to date. Still, I did find this trailer pretty bland. Would be foolish to judge the movie based on it alone, especially with the people involved.

At some point, there's a (hostile?) takeover of the company, Hank gets shut out, Darren Cross assumes control.
In order to get the suit back, or to get the technology out of Cross' hands (who, I'm assuming, wants to weaponize it) Hank seeks out a thief. Relating to the father-daughter relationship that Lang has, and seeing the good in him, he recruits Scott to help him.
The heist goes off at Pym Industry, with Hank planing, Scott executing, and Hope as their inside man.

Most of the backstory is fairly textbook. Depending on how the heist goes, this could be pretty fun.

I will say that I've been a huge fan of almost everything Marvel's put out to date. Still, I did find this trailer pretty bland. Would be foolish to judge the movie based on it alone, especially with the people involved.
Heh, somehow reminds me of The Mask of Zorro.

I hope Janet is still alive and she can be reunited with Pym sometime in the future, then Pym and family can kinda be MCU's Fantastic Four family.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After watching it a couple more times the trailer succeeded, in that it convinced me that whatever movie this is, its going to be interesting. If its off the wall weirdness that will be interesting. If they play it completely straight the juxtaposition of that against the whole idea of Ant Man will also be interesting. Whatever they're doing with it, I want to see it

After watching it a couple more times the trailer succeeded, in that it convinced me that whatever movie this is, its going to be interesting. If its off the wall weirdness that will be interesting. If they play it completely straight the juxtaposition of that against the whole idea of Ant Man will also be interesting. Whatever they're doing with it, I want to see it

I don't think they'll play it completely straight, but the movie is basically going to be a journey to the point where they CAN have Ant-Man be a serious character and people will respect and appreciate that. Lang will be making fun of this shit just as much as the audience in the first half I'm sure, until it becomes clear that he's the hero Pym is telling him he can be.

I like that dynamic, it's like Rocket in GOTG but is tied directly to the hero's journey in the film.

But people liked Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. There is a difference

People like this trailer too. Just look at the ratio of likes to dislikes on the official Youtube video. A vocal minority is not indicative of any general trend.

GoG trailer had plenty of complaints from people about being "too cartoony" and "comical", especially from the crowd who dislike Marvel movies and their not-too-serious styles. Not to mention plenty of doubters in the months leading to its release.

Ploid 3.0

My first introduction to Ant Man was Marvel vs Capcom 3. This trailer seemed odd. So the guy that has to become Ant Man isn't Hank Pym?

manfestival

Or perhaps it's the way people can magically judge a two hour film by two minutes.

It's perfectly fair. Thats the point of a trailer. To help a person decide if the movie is worth their time or not. I will tell you this. I have seen the trailer for the new avengers movie and I know it will be awful so im not gonna go see it(I AM FREAKING JOKING).

My first introduction to Ant Man was Marvel vs Capcom 3. This trailer seemed odd. So the guy that has to become Ant Man isn't Hank Pym?

Yeah in this movie Hank Pym was the original Ant-Man in the 60s, now he's passing the torch on to Scott Lang (who in the comics is the 2nd and current Ant-Man).

farisr

Yeah, Hank Pym is the one mainly talking in the trailer (Michael Douglas), he's talking about passing the mantle to Scott Lang (Paul Rudd).

People like this trailer too. Just look at the ratio of likes to dislikes on the official Youtube video. A vocal minority is not indicative of any general trend.

GoG trailer had plenty of complaints from people about being "too cartoony" and "comical", especially from the crowd who dislike Marvel movies and their not-too-serious styles. Not to mention plenty of doubters in the months leading to its release.

Lol youtube likes don't account for anything. Just look at the number of likes for the Terminator Genysis trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Trailer was ok but the scenes with him being Ant-Man were pretty boring. Surely this was said many times in the thread, but it would be cool if they had something on the level of that old test footage instead, which fully embraces the ridiculousness of being a tiny dude kicking ass and makes it rad. They're probably keeping stuff like that for other trailers, although I think it would be a good idea to sell this character the best way they can as soon as possible.

Trailer was ok but the scenes with him being Ant-Man were pretty boring. Surely this was said many times in the thread, but it would be cool if they had something on the level of that old test footage instead, which fully embraces the ridiculousness of being a tiny dude kicking ass and makes it rad. They're probably keeping stuff like that for other trailers, although I think it would be a good idea to sell this character the best way they can as soon as possible.

There was a tiny clip of that test footage fight in the teaser trailer (you can see him throwing a guy by his tie just like in the original footage) but it's possible they just didn't have enough post-production done to include more of the scene. Even for the ant flying stuff, the CGI is obviously still not done.

Hopefully trailer #2 includes more of that.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah in this movie Hank Pym was the original Ant-Man in the 60s, now he's passing the torch on to Scott Lang (who in the comics is the 2nd and current Ant-Man).

Yeah, Hank Pym is the one mainly talking in the trailer (Michael Douglas), he's talking about passing the mantle to Scott Lang (Paul Rudd).

Cool cool, looks interesting now. I thought they tossed out the origins of Ant Man with a mega company having a super secret tech. Ant Man's Origins is pretty interesting, especially the whole Ultron and Vision tie in. Thanks.

DeathyBoy

Banned

The heist goes off at Pym Industry, with Hank planing, Scott executing, and Hope as their inside man..

Ya know, that gives me Mask of Zorro flashbacks. And now I want this to be EXACTLY like the Mask of Zorro.

But people liked Guardians of the Galaxy trailer. There is a difference

I liked it. But anecdotally speaking, most of the people I knew IRL who weren't steeped in comic book knowledge weren't sold until the first real trailer. I saw the teaser in theaters a few times too and it didn't get much of a reaction except maybe once.

Hagi

Nah, I'd say it's not uncommon for him to be an ass. He's also has a history of writers taking a dump on him though which is unfortunate.

He's one of the few characters where writers focus on one thing that happened in their 50 years of history and run it into the ground at every opportunity. Every time i read Tony or somebody else with a laundry list of character defaults talk shit about him being a wife beater my eyes roll out of my head. Scientist Supreme needs more respect.

He's one of the few characters where writers focus on one thing that happened in their 50 years of history and run it into the ground at every opportunity. Every time i read Tony or somebody else with a laundry list of character defaults talk shit about him being a wife beater my eyes roll out of my head. Scientist Supreme needs more respect.

Hank lacks a real iconic, character developing ongoing run of any sort, so it almost feels like some writers just fucking skim Wikipedia before incorporating him into their story.

Loxley

not a good trailer, it felt kinda generic for something called ANT MAN. Maybe Guardian of the Galaxy just spoiled me.

Yeah, that's how I felt. I'm not sure I dug the serious tone of the trailer - I was (perhaps foolishly) expecting this to be more of an action-comedy given Wright's involvement up until he left the project. I'm sure it'll have the usual MCU brand of humor, but I was hoping for more than that with this particular film. The Guardians trailers were great because they embraced the lunacy of it all.

But hey, for all I know it could jut be a poorly done trailer. My interest in the movie dropped off a cliff after Wright left, but I'll remain optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom