• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's ANT-MAN Trailer #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulga

Banned
THR linked to this fan edited trailer in their
"Why the Ant-Man trailer was a small but important misstep" piece and it's the exact tone the trailer should have been

That was so, so much better.
KuGsj.gif

People like this trailer too. Just look at the ratio of likes to dislikes on the official Youtube video. A vocal minority is not indicative of any general trend.

GoG trailer had plenty of complaints from people about being "too cartoony" and "comical", especially from the crowd who dislike Marvel movies and their not-too-serious styles. Not to mention plenty of doubters in the months leading to its release.

Even shitty movies that flop will usually get more likes than dislikes on their trailers too. The internet is funny that way

BLACKLAC

Trailer was ok but the scenes with him being Ant-Man were pretty boring. Surely this was said many times in the thread, but it would be cool if they had something on the level of that old test footage instead, which fully embraces the ridiculousness of being a tiny dude kicking ass and makes it rad. They're probably keeping stuff like that for other trailers, although I think it would be a good idea to sell this character the best way they can as soon as possible.

Pretty sure they showed the aftermath of that test footage.

j975zXodyFHGc.PNG

Slayven

He's one of the few characters where writers focus on one thing that happened in their 50 years of history and run it into the ground at every opportunity. Every time i read Tony or somebody else with a laundry list of character defaults talk shit about him being a wife beater my eyes roll out of my head. Scientist Supreme needs more respect.

Hank lacks a real iconic, character developing ongoing run of any sort, so it almost feels like some writers just fucking skim Wikipedia before incorporating him into their story.

Pym has had the most organic character growth of any comic character. Second by Daredevil and maybe Spiderman. Anyone that just brings up "he slapped his wife" hasn't really read anything involving Pym. Majority writers get it.

Pym has had the most organic character growth of any comic character. Second by Daredevil and maybe Spiderman. Anyone that just brings up "he slapped his wife" hasn't really read anything involving Pym

Yeah but that's what I mean, a lot of his growth isn't in some book called ANT-MAN tied to some iconic writer, like Daredevil has with his Miller/Bendis runs.

Hank's best stuff is usually included in someone else's book, or in Avengers.

Slayven

Yeah but that's what I mean, a lot of his growth isn't in some book called ANT-MAN tied to some iconic writer, like Daredevil has with his Miller/Bendis runs.

Hank's best stuff is usually included in someone else's book, or in Avengers.[

Yeah sadly not everyone can support a solo book.

Ant-Man hasn't had a proper standalone series yet, so you're gonna have to read the Avengers books if you want the best of Hank Pym. Try Avengers Vol. 1 and 3, Avengers: The Initiative, West Coast Avengers.

There was last year's Avengers AI, where Hank lead a team of AIs, and that was really good but it was cancelled after 12 issues.

Eric O'Grady had a standalone series called The Irredeemable Ant-Man that was also cancelled after 12 issues, but it wasn't anything special.

A new series just started - Ant-Man #1 just came out this month and follows Scott Lang. It's off to a good start and would be a good way to get in on the ground floor with Lang.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a read.

Seriously though, if they actually tried to adapt that sequence to film, they'd eat so much shit for being gross, pervy little boys, the resultant backlash would make the month or so that every enthusiast press outlet had a "where are all the women and minorities at, Marvel" thinkpiece look like 5 minutes on the teacup ride at Disneyland.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There was a tiny clip of that test footage fight in the teaser trailer (you can see him throwing a guy by his tie just like in the original footage) but it's possible they just didn't have enough post-production done to include more of the scene. Even for the ant flying stuff, the CGI is obviously still not done.

Hopefully trailer #2 includes more of that.
Pretty sure they showed the aftermath of that test footage.

j975zXodyFHGc.PNG
You guys are right. Shame they didn't use more though, I still think the scenes in the suit were bland for the most part for a first trailer. Things not being ready in time due to post-production would indeed make sense. I think the movie will turn out fine anyway, just wish this first look was a bit more exciting so I could start getting my movie-going friends pumped for this one already. :p

DeathyBoy

Banned
Seriously though, if they actually tried to adapt that sequence to film, they'd eat so much shit for being gross, pervy little boys, the resultant backlash would make the month or so that every enthusiast press outlet had a "where are all the women and minorities at, Marvel" thinkpiece look like 5 minutes on the teacup ride at Disneyland.

They also would suddenly find the quality of actresses auditioning declining rapidly.

You guys are right. Shame they didn't use more though, I still think the scenes in the suit were bland for the most part for a first trailer. Things not being ready in time due to post-production would indeed make sense. I think the movie will turn out fine anyway, just wish this first look was a bit more exciting so I could get my movie-going friends pumped for this one. :p

Definitely, but I think people tend to forget how tightly-packed this movie's schedule has been since they got Reed on board. I'm still shocked they got through production with no more delays, they must be burning the midnight oil for the VFX work.

I'm sure everyone would have loved to see MORE for the first teaser but it probably just isn't ready, and now is the time that they need to start up the marketing machine for the film.

AMUSIX

Heh, somehow reminds me of The Mask of Zorro.

Ya know, that gives me Mask of Zorro flashbacks. And now I want this to be EXACTLY like the Mask of Zorro.

Ha...I want that too. Didn't realize it when I was putting the threads together, but, yes, the daughter is in with the bad guy, the old mentor/former hero, the new hero is a thief and must get trained...

Douglas as Hopkins, Rudd as Banderas, Lilly as Zeta-Jones, and Stoll as Montero.....I like this more and more...

Ha...I want that too. Didn't realize it when I was putting the threads together, but, yes, the daughter is in with the bad guy, the old mentor/former hero, the new hero is a thief and must get trained...

Douglas as Hopkins, Rudd as Banderas, Lilly as Zeta-Jones, and Stoll as Montero.....I like this more and more...
yesjacknicholson.gif

aces.gif

Nice! Can't wait to see all the awesome effects.
:D

Donos

Then make super villains? This is will be the fourth (fifth if one counts HYDRA) evil guy in a suit we've had in a Marvel flick. Snooze.

They are already slowly building up Thanos. And Thanos will definitely fuck shit up big time.

Then make super villains? This is will be the fourth (fifth if one counts HYDRA) evil guy in a suit we've had in a Marvel flick. Snooze.

There should be a balance IMO. Some people say we have too many evil corporate dudes trying to steal the hero's tech, but we also have a lot of big scary power guys with armies and ships blowing up cities in the final act.

Cross is pretty similar to Stane and Hammer yeah, but it's a completely different field of science from the Iron Man stuff. The Ant-Man suit is not really a weapon and that's what Pym is fighting against. We also don't know what exactly Corey Stoll will bring to the role, but I do want to see crazy ass Yellowjacket on screen.

I think the difference between Cross and the other corporate type villains is that Cross has been driven insane by the Yellowjacket suit. The others were all greedy or power-hungry. This dude has legitimately gone insane. Well, according to various comments here and there.

guek

Banned
I think the difference between Cross and the other corporate type villains is that Cross has been driven insane by the Yellowjacket suit. The others were all greedy or power-hungry. This dude has legitimately gone insane. Well, according to various comments here and there.

I'd be ok with that. But I also kind of want a crazy Hank Pym. I just want some crazy in my Ant-man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom