• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive FTC Leak: Mid Gen Xbox Hardware, Series S/X Refreshes, New Controller, and Game Plans!

Nankatsu

Great looking redesign and more than happy to sacrifice the drive I've never used for double the storage, makes more sense for Gamepass and the 30 million plus customers, always said Starfield would push them over that figure.
These games on top of the announces line up is just incredible, going way past the 360 era now, greatest first party line up in history.
Good to see that we have next gen in the pipeline too, always thought the naysayers were wrong again.

Think we found Phil's account here on GAF, guys.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The "southbridge refresh" makes me think unified memory and SSD IO will be beating it in the soundbite department.

A new southbridge sounds a lot like the Velocity Architecture has been replaced with a copy of the IO complex - after they've had 3years to study PlayStation's solution - and because the terminology for southbridges is somewhat redundant, today because of APUs integrating northbridges and the two items being tightly coupled in design, and overlapping Direct Access to southbridge peripherals, a new Northbridge with a new APU memory controller - to unify memory access - has probably been a side-effect of the new southbridge too.
Probably, but I think they are trying to cost reduce their beasts, I do not think they are going all-in and integrating something as custom as what Sony put in the SoC die.

saintjules

amirite?

csm_FTnYbycWQAAbp6I_266d618c9c.jpg

Last edited:

chilichote

Great looking redesign and more than happy to sacrifice the drive I've never used for double the storage, makes more sense for Gamepass and the 30 million plus customers, always said Starfield would push them over that figure.
These games on top of the announces line up is just incredible, going way past the 360 era now, greatest first party line up in history.
Good to see that we have next gen in the pipeline too, always thought the naysayers were wrong again.
You're really just a marketing puppet, right?

Astray

The cylindrical design is extremely non-conducive to placing it horizontally inside a tv unit like I do with my Series X.

The new controller having "modular sticks" also makes it sound like they won't go with hall-effect, which is a bummer.

StereoVsn

So their entire gen forecast/ambition/goal is less than 59 million? Some were suggesting that they'd hit 90 million this generation.

Also, to sell 29M from 2024 to 2027, they will have to increase their yearly average to >9.7M consoles per year.

In the first 2 years (with 3 holiday seasons + a launch period), they averaged 9.2 million consoles, which has since decreased by -25% YoY to ~7M per year.

They are not hitting those numbers.
They are a small indie company that barely gets by. If only they were allowed to buy Nintendo and Valve, it would bring more competition and allow MS to survive Sony's onslaught.

Regulators everywhere - approved! (after some $ changes hand and calls to their Senators).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Same vibes 🤣

yc304hZ.jpg

Toots

Gold Member
I like the bluetooth speaker design.
We need to see how massive it is but if they managed to keep it somewhat small i'd rather have something looking like that than the horrid ps5fat i have under my tv.
Hope this round design is the way for consoles moving forward. And if it prevent from putting a disk tray in it, just make it oblong.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Not a pro console, but I guess im okay with that

Was only ever going to get one pro console (ps5) while keeping my XSX for exclusives

Controller has no adaptive triggers either

Kinda meh news. The XSX slim looks nice tho
They just cant release a pro xbx with the series s existence and even more with the parity clauses they have... it was never in the plans I would think

Flutta

Banned

Corpo worshipers are the worst. This post is so disgusting 🤮.

What kind of a shitshow are the FTC running over there? Someone’s in big trouble today… (I’m more annoyed that I don’t have time to comb through it :messenger_tears_of_joy:) But leaking the confidential business plans/strategies of one of the biggest companies in the world is definitely a ‘career defining/ending’ moment for whoever was responsible. Can only imagine the repercussions to come…

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
There won't be Pro consoles.
There will definitely be mid gen refreshes tho....only it seems like one company is going back to the PS3, 360 days of only offering more storage and better wifi.

There might just be one Pro console this gen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Now watch Sony put out a Ps5 Pro with detachable disc drive, and we're just going to repeat the entire fucking mess of 2013 again.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I know it’s not apples to apples but the death of physical hasn’t really affected me negatively on the PC side…I didn’t even consider putting a physical drive in my new PC because, as the 20th anniversary badge popped in Steam it’s like…yeah physical has been dead on PC for about that long.

I still prefer to buy physical discs/cards on consoles but if Steam can serve me my library for 20+ years across numerous systems…meh

Cattlyst

Yeah...I'll probably just stick with my launch XSX if the internals are pretty much the same. Cool to see the new console designs though

I'll take the Oblivion and Fallout 3 remasters thanks...

I like the design but the lack of disc drive is a pain. Will I need to buy a separate bluray player down the line!!

buenoblue

Maybe there strategy is no pro/power increase mid gen but bring a whole new Xbox in 2026? It's a dangerous game. I feel by that time they will be so far behind on console sales from Sony that people will just be happy with the PS5 pro and wait till 2028 for the PS6 to keep there library going forward.

With Bethesda's output in decline and the state of gears and halo franchise, Microsoft is betting big on COD. I just don't see a good end for Microsoft in the gaming space.

Elios83

Btw Xbox fans before the FTC trial: "Finally all the dirt, anticompetitive practices and secrets of Sony will be revealed!"

Reality -> all the dirt, anticompetitive practices and "thought experiments" of Microsoft + their long term roadmaps of products have become of public domain.
The damage the Activision deal is doing has been something else.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Killing physical is so wrong on so many levels and users rejoicing for this will cry in tears one day once brands have full control of prices with no competition unlike physical stores.

Rejoice of your own death people, so sad.

Last edited:

fatmarco

Killing physical is so wrong on so many levels and users rejoicing for this will cry in tears one day once brands have full control of prices with no competition unlike physical stores.

Physical is practically dead already. We're mostly just buying physical licenses to digital downloads now.

Sad.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Physical is practically dead already. We're mostly just buying physical licenses to digital downloads now.

Sad.
That's absolutely wrong and that's what they want you to think and a lot of misinforled users are spreading misinformations about this. That may be true for Xbox, I agree, but that's absolutely and totally wrong for PlayStation and Nintendo. That's why games reach the "Gold" status.

Every single game on these platform are playable without any internet connection AT ALL and without day one patch, with very rare few school cases exception (Activison with COD on single compaign or Hogwarts Legacy).

They want you to give up.

All consoles games I buy are physical and extremely far from dead, here, in Europe. That's a very US thing to think that disc are only digital key, that's not the case at all. They contains ALL the game data (again with some few exceptions of lazy publishers).
Even better: prices of physical games are much lower than digital stores not only at launch but also beyond the launch when they goes so low on sales or not thanks to the mainstream distributors competition.

Example: Right now I can buy Super Mario Wonder on switch on a physical store for 45€ instead of 60€ on Nintendo Store
Detective Pikachu is at 37€ physically instead of 50€ digitally.

And that's the same story for all PS5 games. Physical is not dead AT ALL and discs are far from a "digital key only": they always contains all the game.

(with, again, Xbox/Microsoft being the exception this gen since they dropped their balls considering their plan were always to see you subscribe something from them for life and goes digital to take control of your ownership)

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Dark Souls 3 as an example, Namco decided that 7 years old game that used to go frequently on sale for $15 is suddenly worth 2x more and now it doesnt go below $30. Used physical copies on Ebay are still $10.

bSeHENd.png

Last edited:
Never cared much for Xbox as a console, but I do like the build and compatibility of their controllers for use on other devices. Gyro was a glaring omission with the Series controllers so glad to see it potentially coming out. I do wonder if they may be missing a beat here by not going all the way and adding adaptive triggers to the mix to have full feature parity with the DualSense.

If they really think a diskless XSX at $499 will compete with whatever Sony and Nintendo are cooking up then they are very delusional.

These are real? The images are real?

Yes, but they represent a strategy at a point in time. We don't know what's changed (if anything) since then.

Top Bottom